iPhone turns off in the cold: why it happens?
With the advent of frosty weather, users’ complaints about the iPhone phones not working properly have become more frequent. According to users, at sub-zero temperatures, mobile devices are discharged much faster than usual, or they turn off completely unexpectedly. Why is that?
ON (that is, software is a set of programs for computers and computing devices) TOPIC: Why the Accept and Reject keys disappear with an incoming call on the iPhone?
Why iPhone slows down and turns off in the cold
Tasks with the operation of the iPhone at temperatures below zero are not far-fetched. the harder the frost, the worse the communicator works. In the best case, the user will experience system failures, in the worst case, the device will signal a discharged battery and turn off. But there are no circumstances to express dissatisfaction about the device’s malfunctioning. there is a message on the Apple website that the stability of the operation of “apple” phones and tablets directly depends on the air temperature. It is also directly indicated there that when the temperature gauge falls below zero degrees, the devices may experience problems.
The introduction of an iPhone or iPad at low temperatures (below 0 ° C) may temporarily reduce the battery life. As the temperature returns to normal, the battery performance will return to its previous level.
Nevertheless, despite the fact that at low temperatures the communicator says about a decrease in charge, it remains the same. The fact is that in cold weather the density of the gel-electrolyte in the battery of the device changes, which affects the speed and quality of the device. At the same time, the battery controller fixes the configurations and recognizes them as a low charge, followed by an automatic shutdown of the phone.
Apple reports iPhone and iPad to operate at flawless temperatures between 16 ° C and 22 ° C.
The frost also affects the performance of touch monitors. When the device freezes, the screen starts to noticeably “slow down”. Only AMOLED monitors are not seriously dependent on the outside temperature.
Unlike Apple, which strictly regulated the range of impeccable temperatures for working with its devices, falling outside the boundaries of which, the device may lose guaranteed service, rivals do not set such a rigid framework. For example, devices from a number of manufacturers operate flawlessly and at temperatures below 10 ° C. But with all this, you need to realize that the limitations of the “apple” company are dictated not by shortcomings in the developments used, but by the unhappy desire to create ultra-thin phones and tablets. Decreasing the thickness of devices affects their operation at low (below zero) or overestimated (above 35 ° C) temperatures.
ON (that is, software is a set of programs for computers and computing devices) TOPIC: 20 iPhone features that can be disabled for most users.
Nevertheless, you can completely avoid troubles in using iPhone phones and in severe frosts. To do this, you need to realize that the device will not be able to work on the street for a long time, and therefore you should very much limit the time of interaction with it. It is also better to carry the phone in an inner of warm clothes or in a case. Even the most ordinary silicone suitcase can significantly extend the operating time of the device. A good option would be to buy a thick felt case for the iPhone communicator, which will save the device from unnecessary consequences of being in low temperature conditions.
It can also contribute to the prolongation of the operating time of the “apple” communicator, launching a resource-intensive program or game in the background, which will increase the temperature of the microchip and, consequently, affect the overall temperature of the device.
But what to create if the iPhone, after being in the cold, turned off? First of all, you need to understand that it really does not need to be dried without the help of others and connected to a charger. Better to leave it in a warm room for 1-2 hours. During this period of time, the gel in the battery will return to its original state and the condensate will dry.
If an irresistible desire seems to be sure to charge the frozen device, then you need to know that a sharp temperature drop can cause deformation and depressurization of the phone case and the upcoming fire or explosion of the device due to the reaction of lithium and oxygen. Apple will not pay the loss from such an incident, because, as already indicated above, the company disclaims responsibility for the operation of the device if it was in the criteria of low or high temperature.
ON (that is, software is a set of programs for computers and computing devices) TOPIC: How to save battery power on iPhone and iPad. 25 methods.
Why iPhone discharges and turns off in the cold
IPhones have lithium-ion batteries with electrolyte inside. When it cools, it disrupts the flow of chemical reactions and the movement of ions, which accelerates battery discharge and turns off the iPhone. Mobile device manufacturers, including Apple, recommend not using smartphones at ambient temperatures below 0 ° C, but in practice it happens that devices turn off after two to three minutes of operation at temperatures below 5 ° C.
We noticed that the following models are primarily susceptible to the problem: iPhone 5, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7 and 7 Plus, and modern iPhone X, XR, XS and XS Max work without problems in the cold (although discharged faster)? This happens for several reasons. The first is the lifespan of lithium-ion batteries, which is 800-900 full discharge cycles. Therefore, if you, for example, have been using an iPhone 6 since 2015 and charge it once a day, then the capacity of the battery installed in it has decreased. It is not surprising that the smartphone turns off in the cold, while, for example, the iPhone XR, released in the second half of 2018, tolerates temperatures close to 0 ° C well. It’s simple. the battery has gone through only 100-200 recharge cycles and its capacity has not changed significantly.
The second reason is the case materials used in older iPhones. They are made of aluminum, whose thermal conductivity is higher than that of glass or plastic. On the one hand, this is a plus, since metal better removes heat from the battery and other components on the motherboard, on the other hand, it is a minus, because the case cools faster outside in winter. So, Android smartphones made of plastic are extremely rarely susceptible to shutdown in the cold.
And the last reason for the discharge of the battery lies in the dimensions of the case. Most iPhones range from 6.9mm to 7.6mm thick, which makes Apple smartphones freeze faster than the same 10mm budget devices.
iPhone turns off in the cold: reasons and solutions
iPhone runs out of power and turns off if used in cold weather for more than a few minutes? Surely this situation is familiar to you if you have been using an old model such as iPhone 5s, 6, 6s for two to three years. What is the reason, how to fix this, what is recommended by Apple and why the owners of new iPhones do not face the problem of turning off in the cold. all the details are further in the article.
What to do if iPhone turns off in cold weather
Since the ambient temperature range for the correct operation of iPhone and other Apple devices running iOS is from 0 ° C to 35 ° C, we recommend that you carry your smartphone closer to your body, for example, in a jeans Human heat will maintain the required temperature and the battery will not be discharged prematurely. Take out your smartphone only when necessary and for a short time, and to make a call. use headphones or another headset.
If the iPhone still turns off, place it in a comfortable environment and wait 20-30 minutes for the phone to warm up. If after the specified time, when you try to turn on, the icon of a low battery is still displayed on the screen, then you cannot do without recharging.
Why Does Cold Weather Kill Your Phone?
Lithium-ion batteries will last longer if they are not fully discharged. They have no memory effect, so try to recharge your iPhone as soon as the battery reaches 10-20 percent.
We also recommend using a case, and it is not necessary to buy an expensive one with an additional battery. A bumper, a case or a folded case will do. it will serve as an additional degree of protection against the cold.
But the best solution, in our opinion, is to purchase an external battery. For example, the capacity of 10,000 mAh of the Xiaomi Power Bank, the review of which is published on our website, is enough to recharge the iPhone 7 to 100 percent at least 4 times. But the main thing is that by connecting a portable battery, you can use your smartphone without fear of frost. Xiaomi Power Bank is sold on the following sites:
If the issue is acute, consider replacing the battery. Yes, this procedure will cost more, but this way you will forget about the problem of turning off the device in the cold for the next 2-3 years. Considering that the cost of installing a new battery is slightly higher than the price of an external battery, and if the rest of the iPhone suits, why not use the services of a service center to postpone the purchase of the next smartphone for another couple of years.
Home / Apple / iPhone / iPhone turns off in the cold: what is the reason and how to fix it
What to do if iPhone turns off in cold weather?
The first thing you need to do is try to turn on your iPhone. If it does not respond to pressing the Power key, you need to go into the room and wait 20-30 minutes until the device “warms up” to room temperature. After that try to enable it.
If even after an hour or two of being indoors, the iPhone does not want to turn on, you need to put it on charge. Please note that in this case, the charging time of the smartphone may significantly increase. up to several hours.
If all else fails, contact the service center.
What other problems arise with the iPhone in the cold?
Shutdown in the cold is not the only problem that can await an iPhone user. What else?
- First, a faster battery discharge. This, again, is directly related to the Li-Pol technology. However, we note that the problem of a faster discharge of the gadget in the cold is relevant for almost all devices with batteries.
- Secondly, in the cold, the iPhone touch screen may stop responding to pressing. Imagine trying to click on an application icon and nothing happens. You should not sound the alarm, try to enter the room and after a while the sensor should work.
iPhone turns off in the cold: why and what to do?
Formally, winter lasts only 3 months, but in fact, even in central Russia, it can be delayed for a month or two. With the onset of winter, problems arise, and often they appear, as it might seem, out of nowhere. For example, in the cold, your favorite iPhone simply turns off. Why is this happening, what to do and what other troubles are worth waiting for? All this is in our article.
Why does the iPhone turn off in the cold?
IPhone smartphones use lithium-ion polymer batteries (Li-Pol). In essence, these are advanced lithium-ion batteries that are endowed with a higher energy density per unit volume and mass. However, such batteries also have disadvantages: at temperatures below 5 ° C, they can lose some of their properties, as a result of which the internal resistance increases, the capacity decreases, the batteries are not able to deliver the declared current, as a result of which the smartphone can simply be taken and turned off. Interestingly, the manufacturer itself does not prohibit using the iPhone in the cold, moreover, it would be, to put it mildly, strange.
Note that modern models like iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 7 Plus, etc. turn off in the cold much less often. Models that have been in operation for a long time are most susceptible to this: batteries have a limited number of operating cycles and after crossing a certain threshold, they begin to rapidly lose their properties.
If your iPhone turns off in the cold, most likely nothing terrible happened and it turned off precisely because of the subzero temperature.
How to protect your iPhone from the cold?
There is no perfect solution, but we will give you some tips that can help keep your smartphone fully functional.
- Try to keep the gadget in the cold as little as possible. For example, talk to a friend and immediately put your iPhone in your Or even use a headset for communication.
- Keep your phone in your. which is closest to your body. it’s warmest there. Or use the inside of your jacket or down jacket.
A cover can be purchased. The cover saves the smartphone not only from scratches or drops, but also from the cold. Of course, the cover will not be able to completely protect from frost in any case.
Friends! If our site helped you or you just liked it, you can help us develop and move on. To do this, you can:
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to our group.
What Apple says about this
According to Apple’s official website, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch (4th generation and later) function normally in ambient temperatures between 0 ° C and 35 ° C. Apple mobile devices can be stored at temperatures ranging from.20 ° C to 45 ° C. Apple representatives warn that in low temperature conditions, the batteries of the company’s devices begin to discharge rapidly, as a result of which they may turn off.
But what about tips, Apple? How do we use our iPhone in low temperatures? The company gives, perhaps, the perfect answer to this question and recommends not using the iPhone in any way if the temperature drops below 0 ° C. Thanks, Apple! Fortunately, there are ways to keep your iPhone in working order in sub-zero temperatures, and some of them are really effective. We talked about them below.
Why the iPhone behaves so badly in the cold
First, let’s figure out why, in fact, the iPhone starts to work inadequately or turns off completely in the cold. There is no secret here, the culprit is the lithium-ion batteries of Apple smartphones. At temperatures below 0 ° C (and in practice even below 5 ° C), battery ions begin to lose their properties. As a result, the internal resistance rises, and the capacitance is lost.
Due to the loss of capacity, fortunately, only temporary, at subzero temperatures, the iPhone can turn off, while still having a large percentage of the charge left. Lithium-ion batteries no longer provide the current necessary for the smartphone to work, and the iPhone simply physically cannot continue to work.
Use a portable battery
The analogue of the battery cover, albeit less aesthetic and convenient, is the power bank. The principle of operation is the same. the iPhone charges, heats up and tolerates cold much easier. Unlike battery cases, portable batteries are cheaper and in most cases have a higher capacity. In addition, many iPhone owners already have a power bank, so you won’t have to spend money to solve the “frosty” issue.
iPhone turns off in the cold: causes and solutions
Why iPhone doesn’t like winter so much and what to do?
iPhone more than any other smartphones do not like the cold. They can turn off even at not the lowest subzero temperature, and after long hours “come to their senses.” About why this happens, why it is dangerous to use the iPhone in the cold and how to cope with this problem were described in this material.
Use another smartphone as a navigator
There are two other useful tips for car enthusiasts. First, don’t leave your iPhone in your car, even for a short time. And secondly, connect your smartphone to the cigarette lighter via a charger. iPhone will not turn off in this case.
Charge iPhone up to 100% before going outside
The more charge your iPhone has, the longer it will last in freezing temperatures. Ideally, iPhone should be charged to 100% before going outdoors so that even if the battery is severely discharged due to cold, the battery still has resources.
Warm up your iPhone with a demanding game or app
If you know that your iPhone should be out in the cold for the next 20-30 minutes, for example, you are taking pictures or having an important conversation on the phone, use an effective “folk” method of countering the cold. Launch a resource-intensive game or application on your smartphone. The processor is activated, the iPhone will begin to heat up and function calmly in sub-zero temperatures.
Real Racing 3 and Hearthstone are great free warming up apps.
iPhone glitches and shuts down in cold weather. How to deal with it?
Using your iPhone outside can be tricky in cold weather. The device can start to fail or turn off at any time, and you will be left without communication with the outside world. You will only be able to turn on your iPhone again in a warm room or after connecting to a charger. Today we will tell you why Apple appliances turn off in the cold and how to deal with it.
How to prevent iPhone from turning off?
Keep your iPhone warm. You should not carry your smartphone in your purse or backpack in late autumn or winter. It is better to hide it in the inner of the jacket, it is much warmer there.
Charge your device often. As we already wrote, the more often you charge your iPhone, the better. Before going outside, make sure that the charge level is at least 70-80%. This will help the device lose power longer and work in cold weather.
Close resource-intensive applications. Running a power-hungry app in the background will drain the battery faster due to the additional load.
Wear your iPhone with a case. Apple smartphones are beautiful, you don’t want to hide them in cases and covers. However, in the cold season, accessories can extend the battery life of the device by preventing the cold from reaching the battery.
Use headphones or a wireless headset. The logic is simple. the less often you take your iPhone out of your. the less it will be in the cold and the longer it will work.
Use portable batteries. Connect an external battery to your iPhone before leaving home. It will not let your smartphone run out of power quickly, and you will stay in touch.
Replace the battery. Often times, the iPhone does not perform well in cold weather due to a depleted battery that has lost a significant amount of capacity. You can make a replacement in UiPservice. you will not even have time to finish the coffee that we will treat you.
Why iPhone turns off?
The main reason for the unstable operation of the iPhone in cold weather is the lithium-ion battery. If the operating temperature is below a few degrees Celsius, it quickly loses its maximum capacity. The smartphone starts to reboot, does not respond to user taps, or freezes. IPhone ends up running out of power and shutting down.
According to Apple recommendations, the optimal temperature for the iPhone is between 0 and 35 degrees. If you use the device outdoors in autumn and winter, it is unrealistic to provide such conditions. But you can save the device from sudden shutdowns.
What to do if iPhone has already turned off?
To turn on a device that is discharged due to cold, you need to warm it up and connect it to a power source. In this case, it is important not to use heaters, a stove in the car, a hair dryer and other powerful sources of heat. So condensation can form inside the case, which leads to a short circuit and damage to the smartphone.
Hide your iPhone in your inner. and when you get into a warm room, leave it alone for 20-30 minutes. Then the charger can be connected. This will avoid damage to the battery and other components inside the smartphone.
If a frozen iPhone won’t turn on even after a few hours, it’s best not to try to reanimate it yourself. Entrust this work to professionals. write to the UiPservice manager in Telegram and sign up for a diagnosis or repair. This way you will not lose either the smartphone itself or the important data that is stored on it.
Why iPhone turns off by itself
First, about the reasons for the strange behavior of Apple technology. Situations when a smartphone stops responding to user actions arise:
- Due to software problems. For example, you have installed a beta version of iOS, which is still damp and in testing. Or jailbroken, which can also cause the iPhone to turn itself off.
- Due to iron problems. It looks like the battery is covered or the power controller is out of order. If the phone keeps turning off, you need to test the battery and find out the number of recharge cycles. Replace if necessary.
- During the cold season. iPhone is not a bear, but with the onset of winter it can also “go into hibernation”.
The iPhone turns itself off when talking. What to do?
Many Apple smartphone owners would like to know why a mobile device stops working during a call. Most often this happens due to system failures or malfunctions in the work of individual applications. It is possible that moisture got inside the case or there was a strong blow, you dropped the phone. The reason for the frequent shutdown may be the failure of the processor or battery. Are you talking in the cold? We advise you to go into a warm room or limit the conversation to a few minutes. Since even charged and fully functional Apple devices turn off spontaneously in extreme cold.
General tips for those who use Apple devices
By and large, these are the main reasons why the iPhone stops working on its own. Below is a list of actions that can help you fix the annoying “ailment” of your smartphone.
- Having software bugs that are causing you to keep restarting? You can try to recover through iTunes. As a result, you will get a completely clean device with the latest firmware installed. Remember to back up important data to iCloud or iTunes before restoring.
- Do a hard reset if iPhone still shuts down by itself. To do this, hold down 2 buttons at the same time: Power (turn on) and Home (round button under the screen). Hold them for 10-15 seconds until the screen lights up.
- Remember if you have installed any third-party applications lately. If so, don’t be surprised why the iPhone keeps shutting down. the program conflicts with iOS and leads to a system crash. Delete the conflicting program and try restarting your phone. Should help.
- Have you been using your phone for more than 2 years? Your iPhone may be shutting down due to normal battery wear. Batteries are consumable items and are designed to operate for 2-3 years. Spontaneous shutdown occurs if a low-quality Chinese battery is installed instead of the original battery. This often happens when making calls, using instant messengers and surfing the Internet.
- Charging indicator defective? The system and the hardware work in symbiosis, but sometimes errors occur when the indicator shows a full discharge when the battery is fully charged. To remedy the situation, discharge your mobile gadget and leave it in this state for several hours. Then connect the charger and wait until the indicator reaches 100%.
- Got dirt, dust or water? These are the main enemies of digital technology, which lead to incorrect work. It is not recommended to dry the device with a hairdryer, use other available means. It is best to contact the service center as soon as possible. The phone’s iron will be thoroughly dried and, possibly, saved from major repairs.
Why the iPhone behaves so badly in the cold?
Needless to say, iPhones are the most “thermophilic” smartphones in the world. They react to cold in about the same way as many living things. they go into the stage of suspended animation. Simply put, the device slows down, it can turn itself off and recover in about a few hours.
There is no secret as to why the iPhone turns off in the cold. All Apple smartphones are equipped with lithium-ion batteries, which are very sensitive to temperature drops. Already at 5 ° C, battery ions lose their properties. The battery capacity decreases, the internal resistance increases. It can no longer transmit the current to the smartphone, which is necessary for the full operation of the mobile device. As a result, the iPhone simply turns off in the cold.
iPhone turns off by itself? Don’t rush to the service center
Even a reliable technology like the iPhone can turn itself off and on. You charge your smartphone, the indicator shows the full charge of the battery, but from time to time it starts to be capricious. Right now, you will find out what is the reason for such a malfunction, and whether it is possible to fix the defect that has arisen without contacting a service center. In the end, you will always have time to take the money to the master, but it is better to save time and money by reanimating the iPhone that is turning off on your own.
Which iPhones are affected the most?
Some iPhone owners complain that their “apple friend” turns off in the cold already at 70-80% of the charge, others note stable operation at 50-60%. What does it depend on? Each battery has a certain number of charges-discharges. As a rule, this is about 800-900 cycles. If you actively use your Apple device, the critical moment will come in 2-2.5 years.
The conclusion is simple. the phone suffers most of all in the cold, which has been in operation for 2 years or more.
But why are the owners of other mobile devices calmly communicating in the cold, actively using the device on the street in January-February? The latest generations of iPhones are made from an aluminum alloy that has high thermal conductivity. With the onset of winter, it quickly freezes over. Plastic conducts heat much worse than glass and plastic, so many Samsung and Xiaomi models (even budget ones) work calmly at 30 degrees.
The second reason is the modest thickness of the case. There are no “fatties” among iPhones, so they freeze much faster. To prevent your iPhone from running out of power in the cold, follow these simple guidelines:
- Place your smartphone in a folded case that protects the device from both sides.
- Buy a battery case. An expensive, but quite effective way to call colleagues and family even in the coldest cold.
- Keep a portable battery close at hand.
- Place your smartphone in inner s as close to your body as possible.
- Use a headset to keep your iPhone out of your
- If your iPhone shuts down, try charging it to 100% before going outside.
We examined in detail the situations when the iPhone turns off spontaneously, and considered options for solving this problem. You don’t always need to go to a service center. Sometimes it’s enough just to restart the phone, charge it correctly or not get it out in the cold.
Is it possible to. There is something wrong with my iPhone battery?
We cannot be sure if there is a more serious problem with your iPhone’s battery. While it’s normal for an iPhone to turn off in cold weather, it could also be a sign of it. That your iPhone battery needs replacing.
Have you noticed other issues with your iPhone’s battery life, such as battery life. Which discharges very quickly? If you have. You can explore your repair options. But before you do that. Take a look at our article “Why is my iPhone battery dying so quickly?” for tips about. How to Improve Your iPhone’s Battery Life.
The vast majority of iPhone battery problems are software-related. And our article will help you avoid these problems.
Why does my iPhone turn off in cold weather?
Apple designed the iPhone to shut off in extreme conditions, such as very cold or very hot weather. It actually helps protect your iPhone from malfunctioning due to low battery voltage. Apple recommends using your iPhone (and other iOS devices) only in temperatures between 32 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit. To avoid problems. Temperature related.
When it’s freezing outside, keep your iPhone warm and safe in your pants or coat. purse, or backpack. If you don’t need to use your iPhone, we recommend that you keep it turned off until then. Until you get to a warmer place. Software glitches or file corruption can occur if you’ve used your iPhone. When it suddenly turned off due to cold weather.
I think there is something wrong with my iPhone battery. What should I do?
Part of this diagnostic test involves analyzing your battery for
If your iPhone passes the battery test (most iPhones pass it). Apple will not replace the battery. Even if your iPhone is still under warranty.
If you really need to replace your battery but want a more affordable option than Apple. We recommend Puls. Puls will send a certified specialist to you. That will fix your iPhone in an hour and guarantee them to work for a lifetime.
Does the iPhone 11 turn off in the cold
Your iPhone shuts down in cold weather and you don’t know what to do. It even shuts down when there is a lot of battery life left! In this article, I will explain why your iPhone turns off when it gets cold, and also recommend some tips on how. How to keep it warm in cold weather.
Warm and cozy
Now you know. Why does your iPhone turn off in cold weather and how to determine. Is there a more serious hardware problem with your iPhone.
We hope. That you share this article on social media with your friends and family. To keep them ready during the winter months. Thanks for reading and remember to always pay in advance.!
In the cold, the iPhone quickly discharges and turns off. why and what to do?
Hello! In the cold season, owners of gadgets from many companies (and Apple is no exception) may face unpleasant surprises. The fact is that when it is in the cold, the iPhone can very quickly lose its charge and turn off almost immediately. over, looking ahead, I would like to note that in most cases it will be so. Is this situation normal? Why is this happening? Should I run to change the battery or “something worse there”? Let’s find out now, let’s go!
But first, personal experience. I had no problems with the iPhone 4 and 4S, but subsequent models, starting with the 5th, behave inadequately in the cold. Perhaps this is due to the materials of the case (aluminum), possibly with the decreasing thickness of the devices. but there is a fact and it cannot be denied, the latest iPhone models are very sensitive to low temperatures. You go outside in winter with 60% charge, you want to listen to music or take a picture of something, and almost immediately the phone simply turns off. the battery is discharged.
Perhaps that is why a whole section dedicated to this ailment has appeared on the Apple website. Let’s turn to it and find out that the iPhone has a lithium-ion battery, which has both advantages and disadvantages.
One of these disadvantages is the operating temperature range. it is from 0 to 35 degrees Celsius. It is this temperature that Apple calls “room” and optimal when using iPhone, iPad and iWatch.
Naturally, these values cannot be taken as the last resort. Errors exist. even if it is slightly above zero outside, the iPhone can still run out of power quickly. This is normal and no big deal!
By the way, the company itself does not prohibit the use of the device at low temperatures, but notes a possible decrease in battery life.
And then he declares that when the temperature returns to normal values, the battery returns to its normal performance.
So, you shouldn’t worry that using the iPhone in the cold, you somehow harm it. Overheating is much worse, but even there not everything is so simple.
And although it is almost impossible to avoid the rapid discharge of the iPhone in the cold, there are still several things that, at least a little, can help in this situation:
- You need to use a cover (preferably. the most insulated :)).
- Carry a portable charger with you. The fact is that it takes a lot of energy to turn it on, but in the cold it is not there anyway. Therefore, a portable charger can help turn on the phone.
- Carry your iPhone in the inside of your jacket (closer to your warmth and body).
As a result: fast consumption of the charge and subsequent shutdown of the iPhone in the cold:
But getting ready for using your smartphone in the cold yes. it is always necessary and useful. However, apart from:
- Pre-charge up to 100%.
- Using portable charging.
You can’t think of anything else when “preparing”. it’s not a fur coat to sew for him, after all? I think this is a bit overkill, even for a device as expensive as the iPhone. It will do without a fur coat! 🙂
Why iPhone turns off by itself and how to fix it?
Greetings! iPhone, like any other technically complex device, is prone to breakage. Yes, yes, there are no perfect gadgets (this is news!) And a smartphone from Apple is no exception to this rule. One of the most common ailments is that the iPhone turns off on its own for no reason. That is, there seems to be charging, in general everything is working fine, and sometimes he will take it and turn off. over, these “tricks” occur periodically and often enough!
Now we will find out about the reasons for such a breakdown, as well as whether it is inherently a defect (and in some cases everything is logical and more or less normal). And of course, we will find out what can be done with the constantly switching off iPhone at home, without visiting the service center (we always have time to go there!).
So why the situation arises when the iPhone turns off by itself:
- Spontaneous reboots may be due to software issues. For example, if you have a beta version of the iOS operating system or its jailbreak, then you should not be surprised at periodic shutdowns. Although these options do not only happen in these cases.
- If this happens on the street in the cold season, then this is just the case when turning off the iPhone (even if there is still charging) is quite a logical phenomenon. Read more about how to help the battery in cold weather.
- Iron problems. In 95% percent of cases, this is either a battery or a power controller. For a start, it would be nice to find out more information about the battery. to find out how many recharge cycles have already taken place, the actual capacity, etc. We check the battery of our iPhone and if it is completely bad, then a replacement is inevitable.
This is essentially all that iPhone can upset you with intermittent shutdowns.
Let’s take a look at the steps that need to be performed in order to fix this ailment and the iPhone stopped, for no reason, turning off by itself:
- The best way to deal with various software errors leading to reboots is by using iTunes recovery. As a result, we get a “clean” device with the latest current firmware. If you have important data on your smartphone, do not forget to create a copy of it in iTunes or save it to iCloud.
- It is possible that the iPhone simply cannot turn on. the screen lights up and the device itself turns off immediately. Be aware that simply plugging into an outlet will not save him. Read here what to do in such cases.
- A hard reboot might help! At the same time, we hold down two buttons. Home (round under the screen) and Power (on) and hold them for 10-15 seconds before the screen lights up. Updated! This combination does not work for all models. here is an article with up-to-date information on how to force restart any iPhone. There is no need to worry about your data, with this manipulation they will not be lost.
- As I already said, if the problem is “iron”, then in most cases the battery or loop is to blame and they need to be changed. If you do not have sufficient skills and experience in repair, we contact the service.
- By the way, if a few more problems are added to the shutdown. a blue screen, various stripes on the display, then the problem can be somewhat more difficult than a simple battery replacement. Microcracks on the board and other terrible things are possible. Here it is definitely necessary for diagnostics. Although read about the iPhone blue screen of death, there are some smart ideas for dealing with this and other ailments.
As we found out, there are only two “global” reasons why the iPhone turns off by itself (we will not consider a special case with use in the cold season). these are either numerous software glitches, or all kinds of problems with the hardware inside the gadget.
And if you can and should fight the first on your own, then in case of any breakdowns, it is better to contact the professionals and visit the official Apple service center. Especially if you know for sure that warranty service is available for your device and its period has not yet expired.
Why iPhone turns off in the cold
The main reason the iPhone shuts down in cold temperatures lies in the material of its battery. The fact is that the battery in the iPhone is made on the basis of a polymer material that can change its properties when the temperature changes. Thus, if the temperature is below 0 or above 35 degrees, the phone can turn off even when the battery is fully charged. In this case, the phone, most likely, will write to its owner that its work is carried out at a low or high temperature.
iPhone starts to slow down in cold weather
Important! If the battery fails due to improper use (for example, when used at temperatures below 0 degrees), then there will be no warranty payments, since this case is not considered a warranty.
Why iPhone turns off in the cold. reasons
Probably every fan of Apple technology is interested in the question of why the iPhone turns off in the cold. There are several reasons why a smartphone may slow down or turn off altogether at low temperatures. At the same time, experts identify a number of recommendations that will help keep the iPhone battery in the cold.
Which iPhone does not turn off in the cold
Regardless of the new and expensive iPhone model, it is still very likely to turn off when working in the cold. As mentioned above, Apple states on its official website that the batteries of their smartphones may fail at high or low temperatures. This is also due to the brand trying to keep its phones as thin as possible.
Older iPhones are less likely to shut down in cold weather
However, you will notice that not all iPhone models are slim. For example, today the models 5, 5s and SE are still relevant, the thickness of which is about 2 times the thickness of all other smartphones of the company. Consequently, the likelihood that they turn off or start to slow down in the cold is much lower.
What to do if your iPhone runs out of power quickly in the cold
Apple equipment, including the iPhone, can work correctly at temperatures from 0 to 35 degrees. At negative temperatures, it is recommended to carry the smartphone in your. where human heat will prevent the battery from overcooling and discharging ahead of time. You should take out the phone only if necessary for a short time. To make telephone calls, you should use headphones.
If the iPhone still sat down, then you need to place it in a comfortable environment (with a positive temperature), leaving it there for about half an hour. If the phone still does not turn on, then it is unlikely that it will be possible to turn it on without recharging.
Sometimes it also happens that the iPhone itself may not turn on even after connecting the charger to it. To remedy this situation, experts recommend performing a hard reset. It is performed as follows:
- On models prior to iPhone 6s, hold down the Home key and the power button at the same time. To make a reboot, the buttons must be held down for about 10 seconds.
- On iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. simultaneously hold down the volume down key and the power button (also for 10 seconds).
- On models from iPhone 8. everything is a little different here. To start a hard reset, you first need to press the volume up and down buttons several times in succession. After that, hold down the Home key for about 10 seconds.
If the smartphone does not turn on even after a hard reset, then there is only one way out. a paid restoration of the iPhone in the service.
Your iPhone’s lithium-ion battery will last longer if you don’t fully discharge it. Such batteries do not have a memory effect, therefore, as soon as the battery charge reaches 10-20%, you need to put the smartphone on recharge.
Also, experts recommend using a case, and it does not have to be an expensive model with a built-in battery. You can protect your iPhone battery from the cold using a conventional bumper or case.
Advice! Purchasing an external rechargeable battery will help to overcome the problem with shutting down the iPhone at low temperatures.
Power Bank with a capacity of 10,000 mAh will be able to fully charge the iPhone 7 (from 0 to 100%) about 4 times. The advantage of this solution is that the owner of the smartphone will be able to use his device without fear of turning it off at low temperatures.
Why iPhones turn off in the cold more often than other smartphones
There are several reasons why the iPhone turns off in the cold more often than models from other brands:
- Phone thickness. Apple phones are much thinner than smartphones from other brands. Because of this, cold air and wind reach the battery faster and cool it down.
- Battery material. The polymer material found in iPhone lithium-ion batteries can freeze at low temperatures. When this happens, the phone may start to slow down or shut down.
- Battery capacity. The thin iPhone cases do not allow the manufacturer to fit a large-capacity battery there. Low capacity and leads to the fact that the chance of turning off in the cold for Apple phones increases when compared with models from other manufacturers.
- Body material. Unlike most other phones, all iPhones are made of aluminum, which heats up quickly and cools down quickly. Why, then, make cases from it? The fact is that this material allows you to make the manufactured equipment as light as possible.
In order to somehow extend the “life” of the iPhone in the cold, Apple equips its gadgets with special software that automatically reduces the performance of the phone if it is in a cold place.
Why the iPhone starts to slow down in the cold
All iPhone owners are beginning to worry about the situation when their smartphones begin to slow down strongly in freezing temperatures. This is due to the fact that the cold negatively affects the performance of the communicator.
If the communicator starts to work poorly, then at best the phone will start to slow down, at worst it will turn off, since the smartphone thinks that it is discharged. However, you shouldn’t blame Apple for their phones slowing down in the cold. The official website says that the efficiency of all smartphones of the brand directly depends on the ambient temperature.
IPhone shuts down in cold weather, warning the user about it
Despite the fact that at low temperatures the communicator informs the user that the battery charge decreases, in fact it remains the same. This is because at low temperatures, the gel seal contained in the iPhone battery begins to thicken quickly, which leads to a decrease in the speed of the device.
Important! In frosts, touch displays also suffer. In cold weather, the screen starts to slow down noticeably. However, this problem only occurs with AMOLED displays.
Recommendations for using iPhone in the cold
Experts identify several recommendations that will help keep your iPhone working in low temperatures.
There are some guidelines to follow when using your iPhone in winter.
First of all, you need to take into account the restrictions that are in severe frosts for the iPhone. When iPhone is operating in temperatures below 20 degrees, it may automatically enter emergency power saving mode. In this case, as a rule, the smartphone screen goes out, and the device stops charging.
In addition, there are other recommendations:
- Carry your phone in inside s. In winter, the temperature in the outer s of the jacket is almost the same as outside, so it is unlikely that you will be able to keep the iPhone battery charged. When outdoors, it is recommended that you store your phone in internal s, which are better at keeping the temperature of the human body.
- Headphones. In order not to take the phone out of the internal every time to answer a call, you can purchase a special headset. The best option would be inexpensive headphones that are not equipped with a battery that can lose their performance in cold weather.
- Case with built-in battery. If you put a case with a built-in battery on your iPhone, it will no longer be thin and elegant. But such a cover will provide reliable protection for the device. It will also supply power to the battery and warm it up, which will allow the smartphone to “survive” at negative temperatures.
- Demanding games. If you take an iPhone in winter and turn on a demanding game, then the processor will immediately begin to heat up. It is better not to do this, as the subsequent sharp cooling of the processor can greatly harm the device.
- No need to leave your phone in the car. To prevent hypothermia of the iPhone, it is not recommended to leave it in the car, even for a short period. Exceptions are when the car is started and the temperature is relatively high.
- No need to try to animate the phone. Some people, even after their iPhone turns off from the cold, try to restore it to normal performance. It is important to remember that such actions cause enormous damage to the device’s battery.
- No need to try to warm up your iPhone with foreign objects. Some people are in such a hurry to turn on their phone again that they resort to a rather interesting solution. to warm it up with a hairdryer. In no case should this be done, since the hot air pressure from the hair dryer can simply melt the plastic components of the phone.
Important! Communication and network may be temporarily lost. You shouldn’t worry about it. To turn on the gadget again, you need to put it in a warm place and leave it there for about an hour.
If you follow all of the above recommendations, then even in extremely cold weather, you will be able to save the battery power of your iPhone.
What to do if iPhone turns off and turns on by itself?
Do a hard reset if iPhone still shuts down by itself. To do this, hold down 2 buttons at the same time: Power (turn on) and Home (round button under the screen). Hold them for 10-15 seconds until the screen lights up.
What to do if the phone turns off in the cold?
Solving the problem is easy. keep your smartphone warm:
- Put on the cover, then the cold will penetrate into the battery more slowly;
- Store your smartphone in an inner. closer to your body;
- Do not keep the gadget in the cold for more than 10 minutes;
- Warm up your smartphone gradually. condensation may form in the case from a sharp temperature drop;
Why does the phone turn off in the cold?
Smartphones have lithium-ion batteries, and at subzero temperatures the exchange of ions in them slows down. The battery capacity drops by half, so the device may discharge faster in freezing temperatures. Difficulty getting power from the battery is considered the main reason for shutting down a frozen smartphone.
What to do to keep your iPhone from turning off in the cold?
If, after all, the iPhone turns off in the cold, you should not charge it right away. Go into a warm room, wrap it in wool or felt (a scarf, for example) and wait 20-30 minutes. Then plug in the charger. If the phone does not turn on after that, do a hard reset. hard reboot the device.
The reason why your iPhone stops working when it gets too cold
Why iPhone turns off at 10% charge?
Apple smartphones may shut down unexpectedly even with 10-20% battery remaining. The fact is that about 90% of accidental iPhone shutdowns when the battery is low are due to a “dead” battery, the life cycle of which decreases with each charge.
What temperature can an iPhone withstand?
The ambient temperature range for iOS devices is 0 to 35 ° C. In low or high temperature conditions, the device may change behavior in order to regulate the temperature.
How to prevent iPhone from sitting in cold weather?
- Do not use iPhone in cold weather. Try to take your phone out of a warm as little as possible, and if you need to make a call, go into the room or use a headset.
- Keep iPhone close to your body.
- Use warm covers.
- Wear gloves.
- Run “heavy applications”.