Wireless rear view camera. an important addition to the car
Modern cars can be equipped with any equipment that will make the process of driving a vehicle not only easier and more convenient, but also safer. For example, a wireless rear view camera is increasingly being installed for better parking. Today, manufacturers offer various design solutions for this device, so every motorist will be able to choose the best option for himself.
How information is displayed?
The image can be displayed on a monitor, which is separately located on the dashboard in a car, built into a sun visor or a salon rear-view mirror. In addition, there are varieties in which the image is displayed on the auto navigator or the screen of the head unit of the machine (in this case, you need a free video input). The most popular is the wireless rear-view camera, the monitor of which is located in the car’s interior. In this case, the image will be transmitted in two ways:
- Through a video cable that runs from the camera to the salon to the monitor. With this solution, the video signal is transmitted more reliably and will be protected from interference. The only drawback is the need to remove the sheathing for cable routing.
- The wireless method is simpler because the signal is transmitted through radio waves. But its range is only 15 m, while the quality can be affected by electromagnetic interference.
Varieties and features of cameras
It should be said that the rear view camera is only a small component of the parking system in the car. Modern devices can be a separate monitor or a monitor built into the rearview mirror. It can be mounted in a navigator and even a radio tape recorder and many other elements of the vehicle. Accordingly, the wireless rear view camera should be selected according to specific requirements. It may seem to someone that in order to achieve a simpler and more convenient parking, you can put a regular car camera, but still there are a number of rules that must be followed:
- Devices are sometimes operated in extreme conditions with temperature drops and various weather phenomena.
- You can install the camera both on the bumper and on the license plate light, while the devices will differ in both design and mounting features.
- A wireless camera should be of high quality, that is, shoot clearly not only during the day, but also at night.
- A feature of the device, which is mounted on the back, is that the driver must see the captured image in a mirror image.
- Parking lines should pass on top of the image, allowing you to correctly calculate the distance from the car to the object.
Optical system: what does Honor?
A wireless rear view camera is often chosen for its ease of use and ease of installation. However, the optical system also plays a significant role. It is worth paying attention to such key parameters as viewing angle, type of matrix, degree of illumination, color system, number of TV lines, IR illumination, and more. So, the angle of view in the camera affects how much space it will cover when shooting. Optimal parameters. 120-170 degrees.
As for the matrices, modern devices use CCD or CMOS. In the first case, the best light sensitivity is shown in the evening. But at the same time, the reading speed is low. In CMOS, light sensitivity is high both day and night, they are characterized by high-speed performance. And at a price, such devices are cheaper than the first option.
All existing rear-view cameras for cars are colored today, which greatly facilitates the perception of information. A feature of a good device is the ability to draw parking lines over images. They allow even an inexperienced driver to correctly calculate the distance to an obstacle and park more accurately.
Design features: overview
So, a modern wireless rear view camera can be produced in several varieties:
- A stock camera, which is mounted instead of the stock license plate backlight. Such a device is also a backlight, while it differs in invisibility, ease of installation without damaging the car. True, this variety is more expensive than other analogues, and besides, it is not suitable for all brands of cars.
- The mortise chamber is installed in the rear bumper, and this requires drilling a hole. It is with the help of it that the device will be fixed on a latch or nut. The device is compact, but for its installation you will need to drill a car, and not every driver will like it.
- The universal rear view camera has a simple design, so it can be installed on any surface of the car, both on the bumper and on the body. You can attach the device with tape or screws. The disadvantage of such a camera is its conspicuous appearance. And when using screws, you cannot do without holes in the car.
- A camera in the form of a license plate is also a versatile and practical solution, since it can be installed on any car. Such a device is rotatable and is built into the frame structure, therefore it will not be noticeable to others.
Thus, the best option is to choose a camera that will be less visible.
How to choose?
A wireless car rear view camera should be selected with a few rules in mind:
- firstly, it is important what kind of design it will be;
- secondly, you need to determine where the image will be displayed;
- thirdly, it is necessary to choose the method of outputting the video signal to the monitor;
- fourthly, determine the technical parameters of the device (for example, the type of matrix, mirror image, or something else).
So, the most important role is played by the design. This is due to the fact that any driver seeks to equip his car as harmoniously and accurately as possible. Most often, the camera is installed outside the vehicle, for example, on the bumper. And installation inside, for example, behind the rear window, is practically impossible, since in this case the camera will be located too high, and therefore the view will not be very successful.
Thus, you need to choose the right camera. Only in this case it will not be a decoration for your car, but a competent and functional addition. Today, buyers are popular with cameras of the brands Neoline, Spark, Carax, Parkvision, Phantom, for the device.
How to choose
To choose the right reversing camera, Honor needs several criteria:
- features of image broadcasting;
- viewing angle;
- the ability to enable the option of parking marks;
- the size of the matrix of the optical device;
- signal-to-noise ratio;
- minimum illumination indicator;
- level of protection against external influences.
Each of the above indicators affects the operation of the cameras and their price characteristics.
Which camera is better
It makes no sense to give a rating of cameras and identify the top 10 cameras, because each car owner has its own hardware requirements and evaluation criteria. Meanwhile, in order to avoid frequent breakdowns and poor video quality, experienced masters advise choosing models from those companies that have already established themselves as reliable manufacturers. This list includes the brands Autoexpert, Bigson, Rolsen, Alpine, Avis.
The lines of these manufacturers consist of dozens of models, so you can choose according to the type of fastening, power and cost. At the same time, the best view cameras most often belong to the middle price range.
When buying optics, you should pay attention to the viewing angle. For rear-view cameras, 120-170 ° is considered the optimal indicator. In this case, cameras with a 120 ° angle are called narrow directional, and lenses with a 170 ° field of view are called wide directional. The higher this characteristic, the wider the view the lens offers.
In this case, you need to take into account some of the nuances.
- The wider the viewing angle of the optics, the more distortion the picture gets. This happens under the influence of the “fisheye” effect.
- If the choice is made in favor of a wide-angle model, you need to make sure that the picture resolution is also high. Otherwise, the video will be blurry.
The operating temperature indicator is an extremely important characteristic. This is explained by the fact that the car reverse view camera should work properly both in extreme heat and in cold.
Most manufacturers indicate the operating range of the device as 25. 65 ° C.
In practice, this range turns out to be much wider, so choosing the best option is easy.
Built in license plate frame
Those who, for one reason or another, are not suitable for models built into the bumper, can choose cameras designed to be installed in the license plate frame. They have a number of features:
How to install a backup camera in your car | Crutchfield video
- Small size and installation in a license plate makes them unobtrusive.
- The cost of such devices most often differs in availability.
- It is not difficult to install such a device, so every motorist can cope with this.
Meanwhile, there is also a significant drawback. such models are poorly protected from external influences, and if stolen, they are removed along with the license plate.
How the device works
When reversing, the reverse mirror does not always work well enough and the view of the road segment is often not enough to provide complete information about the situation on the carriageway. In particular, the lowered rear side of the car remains hidden from the driver’s eyes. There is a risk of hitting someone else’s car in parking lots. In addition, there are always children and pets in the courtyards.
The installed video device for the rear view of the car transmits the resulting picture to a small monitor fixed in the cabin. Thus, the motorist can always react quickly in the current situation.
This device is a set consisting of an optical unit (it contains a photosensitive sensor) and a monitor (the picture received by the lens is transferred to it). Optics mounted at the rear of the machine.
Different types of elements can be used as sensors:
- CMOS. this option is present in budget models and is characterized by an average image quality;
- CCD. this light-sensitive element is found in more expensive optical devices (such devices are often considered the best reversing cameras).
The following parts are placed in the housing of the video device:
- analog conversion microcircuit;
- signal amplifier.
With proper installation and connection, this system is automatically activated when the car starts moving backward.
Benefits of installing a backward travel camera include:
- the ability to control the situation behind the car without turning your head;
- the ability to maneuver with maximum precision;
- the ability to park in the dark with the help of an IF-backlight;
- a chance to calculate as accurately as possible a parking place for a car;
- if a parking sensor with a camera is installed, the driver will receive not only a video, but also an audio signal about an approaching obstacle.
Basic installation steps
Do-it-yourself mounting of devices usually involves the following steps:
- preparation of the installation site;
- installation of the car camera itself;
- connection to a reversing lamp;
- monitor connection.
The main difficulty is usually the installation of wires so that they become invisible.
Fastening to the lighting fixture bar
You can fix the camera without removing the cover below it. However, then it will stand out against the background of the license plate, will become noticeable from the outside. In order not to make unnecessary holes in the bumper, it is better to fix it on a bar with lighting lamps.
- Empty the trunk.
- Remove the license plate frame.
- Extend the camera leg if necessary. This can be done using a steel plate about 3×5 cm.
- Drill a hole for the lens.
- Route the wiring harness into the luggage compartment through the plug located in the area of the rear bumper or spare wheel.
- Remove the left side of the trunk lining, the decorative trim of the trunk sill, under which are the wires of the radio (a device for displaying the image on the monitor is connected to them).
- Provide access to the radio connectors; connect the wires to the connectors according to the instructions supplied with the device.
- To provide power to the camera, route plus to the rear left headlight. You can make a connection in the area of the torpedo.
- Lay the wiring using clips, fasteners.
- Perform a functional test of the device: it should turn on automatically when the reverse gear is engaged. If a picture appears on the monitor, it means that you have made the connection correctly.
- Put the elements of the machine back in place.
Which model to choose?
You should not save too much, because a high-quality product will last longer, it will be more functional, with a better view and image, which will be more convenient and practical for you. It is desirable that the seller provides a warranty of at least a year.
Please note that there are models created specifically for certain car brands, which take into account the features of these particular cars.
- video signals are transmitted via wires;
- video signals are transmitted wirelessly, by means of a transmitter with a receiver using Wi-Fi.
The second type is easier to install, connect, because no wiring is required. However, wireless models do not work with some types of radio tape recorders, therefore, before purchasing and trying to install a rear view camera on a car, carefully look at the instructions, consult with a specialist if it fits your transport.
The main characteristics required for convenient control:
- the possibility of both black-and-white and color photography, the presence of a switching mode;
- sensitivity level, performance in the dark;
- viewing angle (120-180 degrees);
- video resolution;
- the presence of lens protection;
- the presence of parking markings (color marks of video shooting zones).
Do-it-yourself installation of a rear-view camera on a car
The rear view camera allows you to avoid various troubles when driving backward, prevent accidents, and simplifies control when reversing. When reverse gear is engaged, the monitor illuminates to show what is behind the vehicle. The camera has better visibility than the rear-view mirror.
Self-installation of the rear view camera is not so difficult, it will help you save money. Different models have differences, but small.
Installing a camera instead of room lighting
On some models, like the Kia Cee’d (hatchback, station wagon), you can put a rear-view camera in place of the plafond illuminating the number. The order of work will be as follows:
- Dismantle the rear door trim by unscrewing the fasteners near the hanging leather handle.
- Unscrew the screws in the handles.
- Remove the upholstery from the caps.
- Separate the connectors on the rear door.
- Dismantle the rear door trim where you will mount the camera.
- Remove the room light.
- Put the camera in this place.
- Connect the backlight to the side light chain.
- Reinstall the outer trim.
- Connect “minus” to the trunk lid.
- Extend the power wires, connect them to the reversing lamp.
- Extend the cable going to the monitor by placing it in the corrugation with other wires going through the ceiling.
Place of installation
When choosing an installation site, the following factors are taken into account:
- how dirty this place is;
- is there a noticeable device (to protect against theft and vandalism);
- aesthetics of the location;
- convenience for cleaning, wiping;
- video angle.
You should choose the most optimal angle for video shooting
It is convenient to mount the camera in place of the rear license plate light. Some manufacturers provide a space for a camera next to the shades. On trucks, it is possible to fix the device on the roof, where it is protected from dirt, but it will not be so convenient to wipe it.
To increase the invisibility of cameras, special brackets are made.
The tilt of the device should facilitate a wider view than through the mirror of the accessibility of places falling out of the mirror image. But try to mount so that objects on the monitor look without distortion, naturally.
Replacing the trunk lock
- Mount the electric lock.
- Remove the luggage lock.
- Insert the camera, expanding the hole with a drill if necessary, then prime.
- Mount the wiring, connect.
- Check the operation of the camera. Adjust the image by extending the camera to the desired distance or twisting it back.
- Secure the chamber with a nut.
Car Backup Cameras Explained: How To Install On Your Car!
With this arrangement, the device is not noticeable, it gets less dirty compared to the location on the bumper, it gives a good overview.
By self-assembling a rear view camera, you will save money, get an experience that will certainly come in handy. Do not skimp on this option, it is better to spend money on a camera than to pay for car repairs afterwards, the purchase will be much cheaper.
Installing the camera is a sensible measure to prevent trouble, and if you mount it yourself, it is not that expensive. Your driving will become comfortable, convenient, safe.