Determine the number of RAM slots on a laptop
The system will display how many slots the laptop is designed for, and also show how many of them are busy. However, this information can be inaccurate, moreover, other OS versions do not give it, so it is better to use a special program. The free CPU-Z application will do. It is downloaded from the official site, you can download the archive so that the program opens without installing.
Tip: Sometimes this utility is wrong in terms of the number of slots. To find out how many sockets are installed in a laptop, you can set its exact model in an Internet search engine and see the specifications.
What memory is needed for laptops
Before choosing RAM, you need to understand a couple of things:
- what kind of RAM is needed: they also differ in type and speed, for example, DDR4 is faster than the third version;
- how many slots for slats are in the case.
How to increase the random access memory (RAM) of a laptop in 5 steps: methods and tips
The number of required gigabytes of RAM depends on what the user needs to work with on a laptop. When is it worth increasing memory, how to choose it correctly and how to install it in a PC, the article tells.
How to find out what type of RAM is in my laptop
You can see what kind of RAM is in the laptop using the task manager in the tenth Windows. You will need to enter the “Performance” section and find the “Speed” item. Information will be displayed not only about the frequency with which the bar works, but also about its type.
What is a laptop RAM upgrade for??
Upgrading RAM by setting another bar or replacing an old part with a new one is a good solution not only in cases when the RAM “flew”. The larger volume of this component of the laptop increases its performance.
- after updating the OS, the laptop began to work slower;
- during operation, the PC reports a lack of RAM;
- modern resource-intensive programs do not start, although the rest of the laptop parameters meet their system requirements.
It should be borne in mind: 32-bit operating systems can only function on a PC with a maximum of four gigabytes of RAM. Increasing this volume will require reinstalling the OS.
How to choose a new plank correctly
Let’s say a laptop has a four-gigabyte module, there are two slots for DDR4 RAM, and the motherboard is designed for a maximum of 16 GB. Then the user can increase the operative:
- twice. put 2 4GB RAM.
- four times. throw out the old bar and install two new modules of 8 GB each.
Lenovo Notebook Laptop Model IDEAPAD 330-15IKB upgrade DDR4 RAM 2019
Tip: Mismatching frequencies, volume and timing of badly different RAM strips have a bad effect on stability. For this reason, it is better to buy a set of RAM or buy a second one for the first one.
In addition to the maximum supported volume and type, when choosing RAM modules, it is necessary to take into account that the speed increases in two-channel mode. It should also be remembered that the maximum volume is indicated for all laptop sockets. For example, if a user wants to increase the RAM of a laptop, for example, Lifebook A555, up to 16 GB, he needs 2 modules of 8 GB, as described above. One bar of the maximum supported volume will not work.
How to install RAM in a laptop
As a rule, manufacturers of devices with several RAM slots provide for quick access to them by equipping the cases with a separate cover. If it is not there, then the entire lower part will have to be unscrewed and removed.
- Power off the laptop.
- Remove the battery. If the battery is non-removable, it will need to be disconnected after the user reaches the hardware of the device.
- Remove the screws from the cover with a screwdriver. Under it, the user will find the RAM, the strips of which are in the slots.
- If necessary, remove the old modules by gently bending the latches.
- Insert the new strip so that the grooves match. It is required to fix the modules tightly: until they click.
- Connect battery.
- Turn on the laptop.
Attention! If to access the modules it is necessary to remove not a separate cover, but the entire rear part of the case, you should be extremely careful not to damage the structure.
Working with the program
After turning on the laptop, you need to check if it sees a new component. This can be done using the OS or through the CPU-Z software. What actions need to be taken are described in the sections above.
It is not difficult to add memory to a laptop: you just need to make sure that it is possible, and then choose a suitable option and put it in the device.
Installed memory in BIOS or UEFI of a computer or laptop
Information about the installed RAM can also be found in the BIOS (UEFI) of your PC or laptop (see How to enter BIOS / UEFI in Windows 10).
In the BIOS of different manufacturers and different versions, this information is located in different locations: sometimes on the main page (Main), sometimes in separate sections like System Information or RAM (DRAM) Configuration. On a PC, these sections usually provide information about the amount of installed memory, frequency and voltage (as well as additional information and settings).
How to find out how much RAM is on a computer
If you need to find out how much random access memory (RAM) is installed on your computer or laptop, as well as get additional information about it: current frequency, number of occupied RAM slots, type, model or voltage. this can be done both by built-in system tools and using third-party free programs (in the latter case, you can get more detailed information).
This tutorial details the various methods for determining how much GB of RAM is installed on your PC or laptop, as well as some additional information that you might find helpful. If you are interested in how to find out how much memory your computer supports, I touched on this topic in a separate article: How to increase the RAM of a laptop (also relevant for desktop computers). Also useful: Is it possible to install RAM of different sizes, frequencies, voltages.
Determining the amount of RAM of a computer or laptop using Windows
Windows 10, 8.1, and Windows 7 provide simple utilities to view your computer’s settings, including hardware specifications regarding the amount of RAM. First about the method for all the latest OS versions, and then a separate method for Windows 10.
- Press the WinR keys on your keyboard (the Win key is the key with the OS logo), the Run dialog box will open, type msinfo32 into it and press Enter.
- The system information window will be launched. In it, in the first tab, you will see the item “Installed RAM” and its size in GB. This is information about how much RAM is on your computer.
detailed information regarding the hardware characteristics of the installed RAM is missing here. But often for a novice user, this information is enough.
If you have Windows 10 installed, then you can use the following method and get more detailed information about the installed RAM:
- Open the task manager (to do this, you can right-click on the “Start” button and select the appropriate item in the context menu that opens). If you see the “Details” button at the bottom of the Task Manager window, click on it. If not, go to the “Performance” tab.
- On the Performance tab, select Memory. As a result, in the upper right corner you will see the total amount of installed RAM and its type (DDR4, DDR3, etc.), and in the column at the bottom right (can be cut off when the window size is small). the frequency (in the “Speed” section, and the amount used memory slots (slots).
Keep in mind that information about the number of used slots may turn out to be incorrect (especially for laptops): sometimes, if there are only 2 RAM slots, the system “sees” 4.
Using third-party software to find out how much GB of RAM is installed
Third-party programs for determining the amount of memory and other characteristics of a computer are good because they allow you to get more detailed information about various RAM parameters. There are many different programs for viewing computer characteristics, but in the context of this article, I would recommend using the free CPU-Z, which can be downloaded as an installer or portable version in a ZIP archive from the official website https://www.cpuid.com/softwares /cpu-z.html
After starting the program, go to the “Memory” tab. Here, in the “General” section, you will see basic information about the installed memory (I do not specifically touch on some parameters as unnecessary in the context of the article):
- Type. memory type.
- Size. the total size of the RAM.
- Channel. in what mode the memory works. Usually: Single (single channel) or Dual (two channel).
- NB Frequency is the current frequency of the memory controller (not the same as the memory frequency and not exactly for beginners). Sometimes the item may be inactive (on older systems) and do not display information.
You can see the current current memory frequency in the Timings. DRAM Frequency section. It can “jump” and be two times less than the declared frequency in the characteristics of your RAM module. this is normal (we get twice the frequency due to the operation of the dual-channel mode, but this field will still display the actual frequency), small the downward difference from the “round” number is also normal and depends mostly on the processor of a computer or laptop.
Separately, on the SPD tab in CPU-Z, by selecting a specific slot in the upper left, you can get information about the characteristics of each installed memory module: from the main (for beginners). type, maximum frequency, manufacturer, model of the memory module (in the Part Number section). memory module size, voltage (below, in the table under Voltage).
There are other programs that provide similarly detailed information. Popular, but not entirely free. AIDA64.
And a simple video showing the first two ways to find out how much RAM is installed on your system.
Hope the tutorial was helpful. If something is not completely clear, I look forward to your comments.
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from the remontka.pro website. No ads and free computer help for subscribers from the author. Other subscription methods (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram., YouTube, Yandex.Dzen)
Thank you very much for the helpful and illustrative article. With you, everything becomes simple))
Thank you very much, everything I need to know immediately
How to find out the type of RAM in a laptop
Not so long ago, the amount of RAM “dice” installed in a laptop seemed gigantic. These meanings bring a smile to your face these days. Various programs and more modern games are released every day. All this software requires a lot of system resources. Therefore, everyone who often uses a laptop or stationary PC is faced with the need to increase the amount of RAM.
If everything is clear with the system unit, then the question of how to choose the right RAM for a laptop causes certain difficulties for most users.
Why is it important to know what kind of “RAM” is on a laptop
The right choice of RAM is the key to a successful upgrade of your device. This will allow you to avoid unnecessary costs for the purchase of a more modern “piece of hardware”, because good RAM is able to keep a laptop in a “good mood” for a long time.
Therefore, the first thing that needs to be done is to find out if it is possible to increase the “RAM”. There are many laptop models on sale. Among them there are devices with a non-separable body, as well as products where the “RAM” bar is soldered into the motherboard. You can clarify this information with the help of specialized sites, on the forums, in the instructions that are attached to the technique.
Reference. The second method of installing RAM is more often used on ultrabooks, where device power has been sacrificed to a strong design and small size.
Next, you should find out what type of RAM your device supports. If the new RAM strip is not compatible with the laptop’s motherboard, then you will not be able to use it. Today, the most relevant are:
- DDR3. Despite the “solid” age for computer components, it is still actively used.
- DDR4. This is the most modern product, so it is advisable to focus on it.
It is also important to know the size of the device. Standard size is the physical standard of the “RAM”. Therefore, the memory you select must be compatible with your laptop.
Particularly noteworthy is the volume that the device can support. Undoubtedly, 8 is better than 4, and 32 is better than 16. But it’s not that simple. The maximum supported volume depends on the characteristics of the device’s motherboard. If it runs into 16 GB, there is no point in purchasing 32 GB of RAM.
All these parameters must be taken into account before purchasing a new RAM. Otherwise, you can purchase parts that you cannot use.
How to find out the RAM on a laptop
There are several options to find out what kind of RAM is installed on the laptop:
- System window;
- scan using the “Task Manager”.
If you chose the first option, then you need to perform the following manipulations:
- Right-click your computer’s mouse on the My Computer shortcut. A context menu will appear.
- In it, select the line “Properties”, as a rule, it is located at the bottom of the drop-down list.
- After that a new window will appear. “System”. It describes in detail the characteristics of your device: the type of processor installed, the type and amount of RAM, the version of the operating system and other important parameters.
If this method is not suitable, for example, you do not have a shortcut “My Computer” on the desktop, you can determine the RAM using the “Task Manager”. To do this, press the key combination: Ctrl, Alt, Del.
Or you can right-click on the tray bar located at the bottom of the screen. When the context menu of the “Task Manager” opens, in it you need to find the “Performance” tab for operating systems Windows 8, 10 or “Performance” for operating systems Windows 7.
On the left side of the window there are icons of the main parameters of the laptop. Select “Memory” by clicking on it with the mouse button. The volume of the installed “RAM” will be displayed in the right half of the window.
You can also find out the type and amount of RAM using special programs, for example, AIDA 64:
- Download the program from the official website, then install it on your laptop.
- Run the software and select “Motherboard” in the window that opens.
- Then go to the sub-item “Chipset”.
- The “Notebook Northbridge” menu will open. Pay attention to the third line. the type of supported memory will be indicated here. And in the fourth. the type and amount of installed RAM.
Reference. The AIDA 64 program is paid, but it has a free trial period of 30 days.
Current types of RAM for installation on a laptop
The choice of this or that type of “RAM” depends on your goals: are you building a new laptop or are set up to upgrade an existing one.
In the first case, you should pay attention to modern modules of the DDR4 standard. Random access memory of this standard has a high speed of information processing and transmission. In addition, these modules have become more economical, as they consume 30% less electricity than their predecessors.
If you want to improve the device, then you should focus on its individual characteristics, because not all models are capable of supporting the modern DDR4 format. In this case, you should give preference to DDR3. They cannot boast of high data transfer rates, so they are mainly used for updating laptops.
Modern modules designed specifically for laptops are compact and easy to install. However, the number of additional slots on most laptop models is limited. Therefore, it is necessary to decide in advance on the required amount of “RAM”.
Experts believe that the most profitable purchase of the fourth generation of modules with a frequency of at least 2133 MHz. The optimal volume for laptops is from 8 to 16 Gb.
Now you know how to determine the type of RAM installed and which one you want to purchase. However, if you plan to improve your laptop in the future by increasing the amount of RAM, before buying the device, check the maximum amount the laptop can support.
Third party applications
A lot of diagnostic applications have been released for Windows, each of which can be used to solve specific problems. Most of them provide the ability to find out information about the RAM. Below are examples of such programs that can be downloaded for free from the developers’ sites to determine the information about RAM.
Information about RAM in the CPU-Z application is scattered across several tabs:
- Memory. In the “General” column, the “Type” value will tell you about the type of installed RAM, and in the “Size” item there is information about the amount of RAM. Also below in the “Timing” column you can see information about the operating frequency.
- SPD. In the SPD tab, you can determine the number of installed memory modules and detailed information about each of them.
Another convenient application for viewing information about the components installed on a computer is AIDA64. To find out information about the RAM through the program, you need to select the SPD item in the “Motherboard” tab. The application determines all the basic parameters of RAM.
How to choose replacement RAM
Choosing RAM to install on your computer is pretty simple. Two cases are possible:
- The computer already has RAM and its volume must be expanded by installing an additional module. In such a situation, it is advisable to purchase a bar, the volume of which corresponds to the one already installed in the computer. over, they should not differ in type and frequency;
- The new RAM is installed to replace the old one. If new memory modules are installed in place of old ones, then you need to pay attention only to the support of the selected RAM from the motherboard and processor.
Most often, users add RAM to the computer, and they need to determine what memory is currently installed.
The author recommends about Honor:
Unplug the laptop, including from the outlet. It is also advisable to remove the battery. Use a screwdriver to open the cover, you will see the memory modules installed in the slots. They can be removed, or new ones added. When removing, please note that, as a rule, memory modules are fixed on the side with latches that need to be bent. When you insert memory, do it tightly, until the latches snap into place (on most models). All this is comparatively easy.
When finished, replace the cover, turn on the laptop and check if Windows “sees” the installed RAM.
As for the purchase of RAM: if you are in the Russian Federation, I recommend choosing and purchasing RAM modules on Citylink. they have an adequate price and a good choice, even for relatively old laptops.
Added by uniteddare 4 months ago 743 views
How to find out what kind of RAM is installed in the computer
Increasing RAM is one of the easiest ways to speed up your computer if you have problems with reloading pages in the browser, slow minimizing and expanding applications and other symptoms of insufficient RAM. Installing additional RAM is a simple procedure that can be dealt with without calling the service.
However, it is required not only to install, but also to choose the right new modules for purchase. Random access memory differs in type, frequency and size. Before buying new RAM modules, you need to find out what kind of RAM is installed in the computer, choose the right one and purchase.
How to find out what kind of RAM is installed in the computer
There are dozens of ways to determine the main parameters of the RAM installed in a computer. We will not consider all of them, and we will give below the most convenient and simple options for an ordinary user.
The Windows operating system has built-in utilities that allow you to find out the minimum information about the RAM. its used amount. That is, it will not work to determine the memory type and frequency with the utilities of the operating system.
There is another important limitation. Windows will only show the amount of memory used, not the total size of the installed memory. This aspect should be considered if the computer is running 32-bit Windows, which does not support more than 3 GB of RAM. That is, if the computer has more RAM installed, this will not be displayed in the diagnostic utilities, and the “extra” memory will not be used during operation.
There are several ways to find out the amount of RAM using Windows tools. The easiest way to do this is as follows:
- Right-click on the My Computer icon in File Explorer and select Properties. A window will open, where the amount of installed RAM will be indicated;
- Press the WindowsR key combination on the keyboard and enter the msinfo32 command, then press Enter. The “System Information” window will open, where information about RAM is stored in the main tab.
Through the BIOS or UEFI environment, you can determine the main parameters of the RAM installed in the computer. To do this, you need to press Del to go to the BIOS settings before starting the operating system, that is, immediately after turning on the computer. Next, you will have to act depending on the BIOS or UEFI version:
- If we are talking about older BIOS versions, you need to look for information about RAM in the Memory Information column, which is located in the Chipset tab. Please note: in different BIOS versions, the location of information about RAM may differ.
- If we are talking about a modern BIOS, that is, about UEFI, then you need to look for information about RAM on the main screen. The Total Memory column indicates the frequency, type and amount of RAM installed in the computer.
Advantages of determining RAM parameters using BIOS:
- You can get data even if Windows is not installed on the computer or is not loaded;
- If you need to check several RAM modules in a row for their detection by the system, this method is the fastest.
Disadvantages of obtaining information about RAM using BIOS:
- Since there are many BIOS versions, and most often they are not localized, it is difficult to find information about RAM among the mass of parameters;
- The old BIOS does not always display all the necessary information, and often only the amount of RAM is visible.