[Fixed] HP laptop sound not working [Easy]
If the sound isn’t working on your HP laptop (HP pavilion or HP Envy), don’t worry. This is a common problem. The good news is that you can fix the audio not working on your HP laptop quickly and easily.
Check the speaker on your laptop.
Your laptop speaker is probably just working, so the sound isn’t working. You can look at the speaker on your laptop and see if there is cloth or dust on the speaker. Make sure the speaker is working properly.
Switching audio format
If your audio device is the default device but the sound problem still persists, you can change the audio format to fix the problem.
1) Right click on the volume icon in the bottom right corner and select Play Devices.
2) Select your audio device on the Playback tab and click Properties.
3) Click Advanced In the “Default Format” select a different sound speed, then click the Test button. Then play music or audio to test.
4) You will need to repeat this until you find the correct audio format. Once you find a suitable audio format to work with, click OK. to save the settings.
Make sure the sound is not muted.
Make sure the sound icon in the lower right corner of your desktop is not disabled. Click the sound icon. to switch between mute and sound.
Alternatively, you can drag the volume to medium or maximum. to see if there is sound.
Fix 2: check your Windows sound settings.
If the hardware is working properly, the sound problem may be caused by incorrect settings on your laptop. Follow these steps to check your audio settings.
Fix 3: Update your sound driver
A missing or outdated sound driver can cause the sound to not work, so you can try updating the driver to the latest version to fix the problem.
Here are two ways to update your drivers manually and automatically.
Please update your audio driver manually. You can manually update your audio driver by searching the manufacturer’s website. find the latest and correct driver for your Windows OS and install it on your computer. It takes time and computer skills.
Sound Driver Update Automatically. If you don’t have the time or patience to manually update your drivers, you can automatically update your drivers with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your computer.
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Launch Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Then Driver Easy will scan your computer and detect any problematic drivers.
3) Click Update next to the marked audio driver to automatically download and install the correct audio driver (this can be done in the FREE version).
Or click Update All. to automatically download and install all the latest correct drivers that are missing or out of date (this requires the Pro version. You will be prompted to update when you click “Update All”).
4) Restart your computer and check if there is anything wrong. decided.
Try these fixes
Here are the solutions that have helped people solve the sound problem. You don’t have to try all of them; just move down until the sound works.
- Fix the hardware problem
- Check Windows Sound Settings.
- Update your audio driver
- Reinstall the audio driver
Reinstalling the driver
Sound is likely missing due to a failure of the appropriate drivers. In this case, you should reinstall them. The HP Support Assistant software is suitable for this. With the same success, you can use the driver and software search on the official HP support site, simply by specifying the full name of your device (including the model number).
If the preliminary steps did not help, then you need to “dig” into the operating system. First, let’s check the hardware settings. To do this, select the “Sounds” item in the menu available by right-clicking on the sound icon in the notification area. In the window that appears, we need the “Playback” tab.
A list of all devices is available in it. Active speakers should be marked with a green checkmark, and if they are not, then you need to enable them from the right-click menu. Then, by clicking “Configure”, you can test.
Now we need to check the status of the Windows audio service. To do this, you need to press WinR and enter services.msc in the window that opens. An impressive list of all services will appear, among which we are interested in Windows audio.
You need to make sure it is turned on. If not, then go to “Properties”, and enable the service, at the same time setting the parameter to automatically enable.
How to Repair Missing Sound on HP Laptop?
Sound may not play due to software or hardware problems. When trying to fix such a problem, the first thing to do is to look into the mixer (link in the volume bar in the notification area). Maybe the volume is just lowered to the limit?
Then try to return the sound using the laptop function keys (fn F1-F12). The mute combination may have been pressed accidentally. After that, it makes sense to try restarting your computer. If the sound disappeared as a result of a local software conflict, then a restart will help correct the situation.
If the correction of software problems did not give special results, then the failure is hardware in nature. This often happens after disassembling a laptop. the small speaker plugs are very easy to overlook and forget to connect.
However, if disassembly did not happen in the near past, and the problem arose suddenly, then there is a high probability that the components of the motherboard will come out of the standing position. To eliminate such a breakdown, professional diagnostics and repairs are required.
- HP laptop upgrade from 1900 rubles.
- Replacing a video card from 1100 rubles.
- Repair and replacement of motherboards from 450 rubles.
- Soldering and replacement of chips, video cards, processors from 1500 rubles.
- Data recovery from 240 rubles.
- Removal of viruses and malware from 250 rubles.
- BIOS setup from 250 rubles.
- Installing and configuring Windows from 350 rubles.
- Visit of the master to your home or office for free!
2021-05-25 11:09:54 Updated: Windows Computer Solutions Proven Solutions
If audio suddenly stops working on your HP laptop with Windows 10, it could be due to several reasons. The issue could be due to either incorrect configuration of sound settings or outdated audio drivers. We have listed 5 methods to fix the problem with sound that stopped working on Windows laptop. You can try these methods one by one and fix the sound error on your laptop.
Reboot your computer
If the audio port on your HP laptop is not working, it could be due to a trivial issue such as Windows not loading correctly. Yes, sometimes it happens when you try to boot your system, but it doesn’t boot properly and it results in a temporary error on your Windows system.
Sometimes, the issue may not be with startup but with the Windows shutdown process, which is causing the sound issue of your HP laptop. Yes, if your HP Windows laptop was forcibly shut down or crashed for some reason, some programs and applications may not load as expected the next time you turn on your HP laptop.
The simplest solution you can try when you have a sound problem on your HP computer. this is to restart the computer.
Check your sound settings
Sometimes the sound problem on HP actually appears not because of a bug on your system, but because of a misconfiguration of the settings. There are various sound settings on your Windows 10 HP laptop that can cause the no sound issue. We will guide you through adjusting the various parameters so that you can check each one one by one and fix the sound problem.
2.1 Check volume configurations:
Go to the volume icon on the taskbar of your HP laptop and see if the problem is caused by setting a low volume. Try switching between different volume levels. Switch between Silent and Normal Volume modes to see if this fixes the sound issue on your Windows 10 HP laptop.
2.2 Check if the default audio device is set:
If the sound device on your HP laptop is not installed by default, it may show errors when working properly.
Navigate to the volume icon in the taskbar and right-click on it. Select “Playback Devices” from the pop-up menu. Now in the “Sound” mini-window that you will be redirected to, go to the “Playback” tab.
On the Playback tab, check if the Speaker / Headphone device is installed by default on your HP PC or not. If so, you will see a green check mark on it.
If the sound device of your HP PC is not installed by default, you need to select the sound device and then click on the “Set as default” option and then click “OK” to set it as the default playback device.
2.3 Try switching between audio formats:
Sometimes the audio format can cause some errors in your audio system. So, switching between different audio formats can help you solve the sound problem on your HP laptop.
Right-click the volume icon on the taskbar and then go to the Playback Devices tab Playback.
On the Playback tab, select your HP notebook audio device and navigate to Properties.
You will be directed to the Speaker Properties window. In the window, go to the “Advanced” tab. On the Advanced tab, go to the Default Format section and select a different audio bit rate. Click the “Test” button to see if this setting resolves the sound issue on your HP laptop.
Repeat step 3 with different audio bit rates until you get the audio speed that works for your HP PC. Then click “OK” to save the settings. If none of the audio speeds resolve the HP no sound issue, restore the default settings.
2.4 Check if your PC’s audio device is enabled:
You need to check and enable your HP laptop audio device if disabled.
In the search on the taskbar, type “Device Manager” and open it from the results.
In the Device Manager window, you will see a list of all the devices on your HP laptop, including your audio devices. Navigate to the Sound, Video & Game Controller option and click the arrow to expand it.
When it unfolds, you will see your laptop’s audio device. If a down arrow appears next to the audio device, it means the audio device is disabled.
You need to right click on the sound device and select “Enable” to enable the sound device of your HP laptop.
Try These 5 Methods to Fix Sound Problem on HP.
Troubleshoot hardware problems
Finally, if none of the above methods worked, the reason for the lack of sound could be hardware issues. In the event of a hardware problem, the best thing you can do. is to eliminate her.
Go to the Start menu and click on the Settings icon to open the System Settings window.
In System Preferences, go to the Update & Security section. In the Update & Security window, go to the Troubleshoot tab below it.
Now under Troubleshoot, select Play Sound. Below it, you will see an option “Run the troubleshooter”. Click on it and let Windows complete the troubleshooting process. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
Download and Install Recoverit
Go to the official website of the Recoverit tool and select the “Download for Windows” or “Download for Mac” option depending on your system. Complete the registration process and install the tool on your system.
Connect the drive
If you want to recover data lost from an external storage device, please connect the external USB storage or any other external devices using a compatible USB cable or any other compatible media. Make sure your system identifies the connected device. (If you want to recover data lost from the built-in drives of your system, you can skip this step.)
Select a drive or folder
Now run the Recoverit tool on your system. In the drive selection window, you will need to select the drive or location from where you want to recover the lost data. Select a drive or location and click “Start” to start the scan.
Adjust scan settings
You will be redirected to the scan window, where you will see a list of scanned files from the location you selected. You can pause and resume scanning or filter the output using several functions on the right and left pane of the window.
After scanning is complete and all scanned files are displayed in the window, you can find the files you want to recover using the search bar or other options. Once you have identified and selected the files you want to recover from your HP laptop, click on the “Recover” button.
Following all the above steps carefully will allow you to successfully recover all your important data. Then you can access the location of your choice during recovery and find all recovered data.
Recoverit Data Recovery. best file recovery software
- Recoverit can recover lost data from all types of storage devices.
- Recoverit can recover data lost due to any error.
- Recoverit comes with features like bootable recovery to recover data from a crashed Windows system.
- Recoverit allows you to recover over 1000 types of files.
In all laptop models, one way or another, you can turn off the touchpad for a time when it is not needed. To do this, use the fn key combination and one of the F1-F12 series, which depicts a touchpad.
In addition, on some laptop models in the upper left corner there is a small section of the panel responsible for turning it on and off. It is enough to touch it twice to make everything work.
Each laptop manufacturer provides proprietary drivers for the touchpad to work properly. Operating systems are supplied with standard ones that may not work correctly with certain devices. Therefore, you need exactly the proprietary software located on the official HP support site.
After entering the device model, select the “Driver. Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices” category in the list of available software products, and download the “Touch Panel Driver” from it. Then naturally install it.
Reinstalling the drivers will help fix software problems. In addition to it, you should remove all other drivers that may be present in the system. To do this, press WinR, enter devmgmt.msc in the Run window and press Enter.
Fix Sound Issues in Windows 10 | HP Computers | @HPSupport
The Device Manager window will open. In the list of available devices, we need the item “Mice and other pointing devices”. Under it, you should delete (right click, item “Delete”) all devices, except for the Touchpad. This will prevent possible software conflict.
Why HP laptop touchpad doesn’t work and what to do about it?
The touchpad is an important control for your laptop. This is a trade-off between portability and convenience. But sometimes it stops working. Consider several reasons that lead to such consequences and, accordingly, ways to eliminate them.
The touch panel may not respond to wet or stained hands. Even contamination of its surface interferes with normal operation. A cotton swab, slightly moistened with soapy liquid, and a dry cloth afterwards will help remove all unnecessary from its surface.
Parameter Internal Pointing Device in BIOS
Certain low-level software versions of HP notebook computers have the option to disable the touchpad. To do this, use the Internal Pointing Device parameter located in the Advanved tab of the BIOS settings.
To change it, you need to restart your computer and press Esc, then F10. In the BIOS interface, select the Advanved tab, and change the mentioned parameter. Then press F10 again to exit with saving the settings.
If the software edits are unsuccessful, then the problem is on the hardware side. For example, the cable connecting the touchpad to the motherboard is incorrectly connected or damaged. To check the connection of the loop, you will need to disassemble the laptop.
Solving the hardware problems of the touchpad on your own comes down to replacing the upper part of the case. The cost of a spare part depends on the design features. Panels with a built-in keyboard will cost a little more. But it will not be difficult to replace it even at home if you only have the necessary screwdriver and a plastic card.
Missing sound in Windows 10
Many users who upgraded to Windows 10 or after a clean installation of the OS encountered a variety of problems with the sound in the system. some simply lost sound on their laptop or computer, others. the sound stopped working through the headphone output on the front of the PC. another common situation. the sound itself becomes quieter over time.
This step-by-step guide describes possible ways to fix the most common problems when audio playback does not work properly or sound simply disappears in Windows 10 after an update or installation, or just in the process for no apparent reason. See also: What to do if Windows 10 sound is wheezing, hiss, crackling, or very quiet, No HDMI sound, Audio service not running.
The sound is quiet, wheezing, or the volume is automatically lowered
If, despite the fact that the sound is playing, there are some problems with it: it wheezes, too quiet (and the volume can change itself), try the following solutions to the problem.
- Go to playback devices by right-clicking on the speaker icon.
- Right-click on the device with a sound problem, select “Properties”.
- On the Advanced Features tab, check Disable All Effects. Apply the settings. You will return to the list of playback devices.
- Open the “Communication” tab and turn off the volume decrease or mute during communication, set “No action required”.
Apply the settings you made and check if the problem was resolved. If not, there is another option: try to select your sound card through the device manager. properties. update the driver and install not the “native” sound card driver (show a list of installed drivers), but one of the compatible ones that Windows 10 can offer itself. In this situation, it sometimes happens that the problem does not appear on “non-native” drivers.
Optional: check if the Windows Audio service is enabled (press WinR, type services.msc and find the service, make sure the service is running and the startup type for it is set to Automatic.
Missing sound in Windows 10 after updating or installing system
The most common variant of the problem is that the sound on the computer or laptop simply disappears. In this case, as a rule (let’s consider this option first), the speaker icon on the taskbar is ok, in the Windows 10 device manager for the sound card it says “The device is working fine”, and the driver does not need to be updated.
True, at the same time, usually (but not always) in this case, the sound card in the device manager is called “Device with High Definition Audio support” (and this is a sure sign that there are no installed drivers on it). This usually happens for Conexant SmartAudio HD, Realtek, VIA HD Audio, Sony and Asus laptops.
Sound or microphone stopped working on Asus laptop (may work for others as well)
Separately, I would like to note the solution for Asus laptops with the Via Audio sound chip, it is on them that most often problems arise with playback, as well as connecting a microphone in Windows 10. Solution:
- Go to the device manager (through the right click on the start), open the item “Audio inputs and audio outputs”
- Through the right click on each item in the section, delete it, if there is a suggestion to remove the driver, do it too.
- Go to the section “Sound, game and video devices”, remove them in the same way (except for HDMI devices).
- Download the Via Audio driver from Asus, from the official website for your model, for Windows 8.1 or 7.
- Run the driver installer in Windows 8.1 or 7 compatibility mode, preferably as Administrator.
I will note why I am pointing to an older version of the driver: it was noticed that in most cases VIA 18.104.22.168 turns out to be workable, and not newer drivers.
Playback devices and their additional parameters
Some novice users forget to check the settings for audio playback devices in Windows 10, and this is better to do. How exactly:
- Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area at the bottom right, select the “Playback Devices” context menu item. In Windows 10 1903, the path will be different: right click on the speaker icon. Open sound settings. Sound control panel in the “Related options” section, and in Windows 10 1809 and 1803: right click on the speaker icon. “Sounds”, and then the ” Playback “.
- Make sure the correct default playback device is set. If not, right-click on the desired one and select “Use as default”.
- If the speakers or headphones are the default device as required, right-click on them and select Properties, then go to the Advanced Features tab.
- Check the box “Disable all effects”.
After making the above settings, check if the sound is working.
Windows 10 sound does not work after updating to a new version
If you have lost sound after installing a new version of Windows 10 (for example, updating to the 1809 October 2018 Update), first try the following two methods to fix the situation.
- Go to the device manager (you can use the menu that opens by right-clicking on the Start button).
- Expand the “System Devices” section and see if there are devices with the letters SST (Smart Sound Technology) in the name. If there is, right-click on such a device and select “Update driver”.
- Then select “Search for drivers on this computer”. “Select a driver from the list of available drivers on the computer”.
- If there are other compatible drivers listed, such as High Definition Audio Device, select it, click Next and install.
- Please note that there may be more than one SST device in the list of system devices, follow steps for all.
And one more way, more complicated, but also able to help in the situation.
- Run Command Prompt as administrator (you can use taskbar search). And in the command line, enter the command
- pnputil / enum-drivers
- In the list that the command will produce, find (if any) the item for which the original name is intcaudiobus.inf and remember its published name (oemNNN.inf).
- Enter the command pnputil / delete-driver oemNNN.inf / uninstall to uninstall this driver.
- Go to the device manager and from the menu select Action. Update hardware configuration.
Before proceeding with the steps below, try running the automatic fixes for sound problems in Windows 10 by right-clicking on the speaker icon and selecting “Troubleshoot sound problems.” It’s not a fact that it will work, but if you haven’t tried it, it’s worth a try. Additional Notes: HDMI Sound Does Not Work in Windows. How to Fix “Audio Output Device Not Installed” and “Headphones or Speakers Not Connected” Errors.
Note: if the sound disappeared after a simple installation of updates in Windows 10, then try to go to the device manager (through the right click on the start), select your sound card in sound devices, right-click on it, and then on the “Driver” tab click Roll Back. In the future, you can turn off automatic driver updates for your sound card so that the problem does not occur.
Installing sound drivers in Windows 10
What should I do in this situation to fix the problem? Almost always a working method consists of the following simple steps:
- Enter in the search engine your_Laptop_Model support, or your_mother_board_Model support. I do not recommend starting the search for drivers, for example, from the Realtek website, if the problems mentioned in this manual arise, first of all look at the manufacturer’s website, not of the chip, but of the entire device.
- Find audio drivers for download in the support section. If they are for Windows 7 or 8, and not for Windows 10, that’s fine. The main thing is that the bitness does not differ (x64 or x86 must correspond to the bitness of the system currently installed, see How to find out the bitness of Windows 10)
- Install these drivers.
It would seem simple, but many write that they have already done this, but nothing happens and does not change. This is usually due to the fact that although the driver installer guides you through all the steps, the driver is not actually installed on the device (you can easily check by looking at the driver properties in the device manager). over, the installers of some manufacturers do not report an error.
There are the following ways to solve this problem:
- Runs the installer in compatibility mode with the previous version of Windows. It helps most of the time. For example, to install Conexant SmartAudio and Via HD Audio on laptops, this option usually works (Windows 7 compatibility mode). See Windows 10 Program Compatibility Mode.
- First remove the sound card (from the “Sound, game and video devices” section) and all devices from the “audio inputs and audio outputs” section through the device manager (right click on the device. remove), if possible (if there is such a mark), together with the drivers. And immediately after uninstalling, run the installer (including through compatibility mode). If the driver still does not install, then in the device manager select “Action”. “Update hardware configuration”. Often works on Realtek, but not always.
- If after that the old driver was installed, then right-click on the sound card, select “Update driver”. “Search for drivers on this computer” and see if new drivers have appeared in the list of already installed drivers (except for a Device with High Definition Audio support) compatible drivers for your sound card. And if you know its name, then you can look among the incompatible.
Even if you could not find the official drivers, still try the option to remove the sound card in Device Manager and then update the hardware configuration (point 2 above).
Volume is muted
This is a very common situation that can make the user nervous. On the vast majority of laptops, the volume is turned off by pressing a combination of two keys, and on some. one.
The sound will be muted if you press the combination “Fn” and the mute key. Usually it is located on the panel of service keys “F1-F12”. For example, for Acer notebooks, the volume is turned off by simultaneously pressing “Fn” “F8”.
Sound card problems
If the malfunctions persist after reinstalling the drivers, the sound card is most likely out of order. Then in the properties of the controller there will be a message about malfunctions in the “state” item. You can try running the standard Windows Troubleshooter.
If this action did not solve the problem, and the controller status line indicates that it is working with errors, you should contact the service center. Most laptops have a sound module integrated into the motherboard, which an ordinary user cannot repair.
The way out of this situation can be the use of an external sound card. Such a device is connected via a USB port and can be quite large. But the characteristics of the external card are much higher than those of the built-in one. Given the cost of the product, it is difficult to unequivocally assess the feasibility of such a solution.
What to do if sound disappears on a laptop
Every laptop user may face such a problem as the lack of sound. This can happen at any time and on any device. Nevertheless, you should not panic. most likely this is an insignificant serviceability, which will not be problematic to fix.
Drivers, like other software elements, also fail. This happens more often when the system has not been reinstalled or the drivers have been updated for a long time. Usually reinstalling the driver will fix this problem.
You can access your laptop’s audio driver control as follows:
go to the “Start” menu in the “Control Panel” section;
How to speed up your home computer? Read here.
In this menu, you can update the driver to a new version, or vice versa, roll it back to the previous version. This should be done if the sound disappeared after reinstalling or updating the driver. Then the system will return the previous configuration of the sound controller.
Briefly, it can be written like this:
- control Panel;
- equipment and sound;
- control of sound devices;
- default device. properties;
- controller, properties;
You can also access the sound controller settings using the method described in the previous paragraph: through the sound settings icon on the bottom Windows panel.
If there is no Update or is not active in the Driver tab menu, you will have to install the driver manually. This should be done only from the official website of the company supplying the equipment. Often in the same window there will be a link to the official website of the manufacturer, if it is not there, the driver will have to be searched for by the name of the equipment.
You can determine the type of hardware, device, or controller in Device Manager. This menu is located in the control panel, section “System and Security”. You can also call the dispatcher through the search in the “Start” window.
Reasons for loss of sound
The reasons for the “silence” of the computer can be roughly divided into two groups:
The first group includes problems that are associated with errors and malfunctions of the computer software. The spectrum of such problems is very wide: from errors in the register to the failure of the driver.
The main programmatic reasons include:
- minimum volume is set;
- the sound is muted;
- the service that is responsible for sound is disabled;
- damaged audio device drivers;
- required codecs are missing.
The last reason is related to the media player. In this case, there will be no sound in a certain program, or when playing some files. You should install another player or new codecs to the already installed media player.
Mechanical faults are considered more serious. In this case, laptop components fail, such as: sound card or module, speakers, connectors. It is unlikely that the user will be able to cope with such breakdowns on their own: most likely they will have to resort to the help of a specialist.
The following mechanical faults can be named:
failure of the sound card or the corresponding module of the motherboard;
The last two variants of the malfunction can be easily calculated, for this you need to connect and disconnect speakers or headphones. However, the reasons why the laptop does not sound can be more commonplace and simpler.
The service responsible for sound is disabled
To test sound services, you should:
click on the volume icon on the right side of the bottom Windows pane;
How To Fix/Solve HP Computer No Sound Problem [Easily]
You may also find the “Driver” tab useful, but more on that in the next paragraph.
You can access the configuration settings in another way, this requires:
- start device manager;
- select a sound controller from the list;