IP video surveillance through a router: setting up and forwarding / forwarding ports
Let’s say you’ve made your choice and purchased a great solution that saves you money and installation time. a ready-made set of IP-video surveillance systems, assembled for the purpose of implementing the “do it yourself” principle. You came home (to the office), and an hour later. the video cameras are already installed! The next task will be to configure a router for video surveillance.
What is the crux of the problem? It is impossible to simply put the camera on and access it from the Internet. The camera is located in a local network that has its own addressing (non-unique due to the many local subnets where it is used). How to deal with this? Applying masquerading. This means that the router contains a binding of the address 192.168.0.100 (local IP) to 188.8.131.52 (external IP). In this case, for the transmission of information packets (IP protocol), the so-called. ports.
And here port forwarding is used for video surveillance. i.e. an explicit indication to the router which address to bind to which address and on which port. Usually 80, 8080, 3128, etc. are used. Port forwarding for a video camera must be specified explicitly, since sometimes the provider blocks some of them.
So, what steps do you need to take to configure the cameras that need to be captured remotely? We will configure two devices. an IP camera and a router:
we connect the video camera to the router, and in the browser of the computer installed in the same subnet as the camera, specify its preset address and go to the settings web interface.
immediately go to the port settings and change it to a working one (this is not port forwarding yet). For example, at 3128.
Now we save the settings and reload the router.
Now you can access the camera from your local computer by typing 192.168.0.100:3128 in the browser address bar
The forwarding of ports for video surveillance does not end there. Now let’s get down to configuring the router. We go to its web management interface (knowing in advance the IP address, username and password of the device). For different models of the router (router), it will differ in the names and the number of menu tabs, but “our” settings will certainly be found. Now you need to register the address of the virtual traffic relay server. Go to the Port Forwarding / Virtual Servers tabs, click the “Add” option. In the menu that opens, enter the port number, the IP address of the camera. Remember to save your changes.
Now port forwarding for the video camera is done, the port is open for access from outside.
How now to access the device and watch the video from it? Open the menu tab with the WAN settings. the “external” IP address of the router will be clearly indicated there. in our example, 184.108.40.206. Now the video can be viewed in a computer browser window, wherever you are. We print https: // 220.127.116.11:3128/. and watch excellent video quality from a network video camera of brands presented in the Forter online catalog. Hikvision, Dahua, RCI, CoVi Security.
Configuring a router for video surveillance is completed!
Configuration via utilities
Another way to set up an IP camera is through a proprietary utility. To do this, use the disk that was included in the set of the device. The first thing they do is connect all CCTV cameras to the network through a router. Further actions depend on the brand of the device.
Utility camera setup will be covered through TRENDnet’s model. The disk of such a device is equipped with two programs.
Configuring on a router
If we talk about how to connect an IP camera to a router, then they do it as follows. Connect the router to the camera. To do this, either use the appropriate wire, or connect using Wi-Fi.
Port forwarding is done so that the router shows the desired camera when accessing the local network address from the outside. To do this, go to the “Port Forwarding” section or any other similar one. Before that, in front of the inscription “Virtual Server” put an icon.
- service name. give any name;
- port range. assign the value specified above (for the first camera it is 8181, for the second 8282, etc.);
- corresponding IP camera address;
- the local port that was specified during device configuration;
- TCP protocol and corresponding number.
The same manipulation is performed for all devices, changing the data. After that, proceed as follows. In the browser search bar, enter the following data: “http: // static_external_provider_address: 8181”.
If the IP address is dynamic white, then the procedure is performed through the DynDNS service. To do this, proceed as follows:
- enter the router settings;
- go to the “WAN” sub-item;
- select the “DDNS” tab;
- put a tick in front of the “Yes” in the “Enable DDNS” column, set the appropriate parameters and save them.
The camera is connected via a router.
For instructions on installing and configuring a video surveillance system, see the video format:
With the help of such a program, you can add to one control panel all the images that are displayed in the “Live View” menu in the web interface, where one image is displayed from each device.
To do this, perform the following manipulations:
- install the program and launch the application;
- enter the “Settings” menu;
- in the item “Camera List” select one of the devices;
- click on the “Add Camera” button;
- enter the login and password of the device in the corresponding columns.
This manipulation is performed for all cameras. This will allow you to receive an image simultaneously from all devices.
Where to install?
Correct installation of the IP camera is a guarantee of normal operation. Since the device is powered by WI-FI, it is important that it is close to the router. If you put the device too far away, there will be problems with image transmission and will regularly experience other types of failures.
However, it is also not recommended to place the camera too close to the receiver to avoid interference with the router. As a result, place the device at an average distance from the router.
Types of devices
There are several types of IP cameras:
Dome and body devices are the most popular of the non-rotatable ones.
Depending on the place of use, the following devices are distinguished:
Connect PoE IP camera to Home Network Router/Switch
- for indoor use.
Various types of devices are used for video surveillance. The main thing is to correctly install and configure the camera.
Watch the video describing the models of the best PTZ IP cameras for the home:
It can be used to change the factory settings. The program is installed on a PC, after which a window appears on the screen, where all cameras that are connected to the device are indicated. Their name and address are indicated.
After the window appears, perform the following manipulations:
- click the cursor on the name of the camera;
- the device is given its own name and is authorized;
- set new IP addresses, according to the range used in the local network.
After that, in the search window of the browser, you can set a new IP address of the device and configure the device accordingly:
- in the “Network” menu, configure the main parameters;
- the “Event Config” section allows you to configure the motion detector and control it;
- the “Event Setting” menu allows you to configure E-mail or FTP, where the data about the recording from the CCTV camera is received;
- the “Shedule Profile” section allows you to set the device operation schedule so that the device operates at a specified time or around the clock.
Setting up an IP surveillance camera: connect and configure
An IP camera is a digital video camera that transmits a video image in a digital stream over a network. Such a device is not just a device connected to a receiver or transmitter, but a full-fledged participant in the network. The camera has the ability to connect via wire or WI-FI, depending on the model. The connection and setup procedure is easy to carry out independently. The main thing is to know how to do it correctly.
Connection and configuration
The device is connected to a computer and a video surveillance camera is set up. The installation process goes like this:
- fix the antenna;
- the device is connected to the network;
- the provider’s network cable connects the device and the computer.
After that, the IP camera is configured:
- log in to the “Network Control Center” section;
- go to the sub-item “Local Area Connection”;
- select the “Properties” tab;
- open “Protocol version 4”;
- the IP address, which is indicated on the device case, is driven into the corresponding window;
- log in to the browser;
- the address of the surveillance camera is driven into the search bar;
- enter the file with device settings;
- enter the login and password in the windows, which are indicated on the box from the device.
If only one device needs to be connected to the Internet, the procedure will be completed. If there are several cameras, then proceed as follows:
- Change the IP address. To do this, put an icon in front of the inscription “Fixed IP” and drive in the data. To perform the manipulation, you need the address of the router. The same address is set for the camera, but the last digit is changed.
- Opposite the inscription “Port Number” enter or select the digits 8181. If there is no such setting, set the value of the WEB port 80 and save.
- The cable is disconnected from the computer and inserted into the LAN port on the router. After that, on the computer, they enter the settings for the local network connection. All parameters are cleared, after which they put a checkmark in front of the automatic obtaining of IP and DNS.
- Return the patch cord back to the network card. They go to the new device address and enter the login and password in the appropriate columns. After that, go to the “Wireless” sub-item. Enter all the data of the Wi-Fi network. Settings save and reboot the device.
- The camera is disconnected, another device is connected and the procedure is repeated. The address for the camera is set the same as for the previous device, but the last digit is changed, and the numbers 8282 are entered into the port window. The manipulation is carried out for all available devices, changing only the indicated data.
The camera can be connected to an Android and iOS smartphone. Details in
Networking with a router
A router is needed if the system includes several devices at once. This creates a separate subnet that has access to all devices. The tuning principle is very similar to what was already mentioned earlier. How to connect WI-FI cameras to routers, everyone will figure it out.
The router settings are entered in the same way. You must assign your own port to each of the cameras that will work in the system. The most commonly used menu is called Routing. Thanks to this item, it is easier to translate external requests to different IP addresses of the system.
The principle of operation is characterized by the following description:
- Its own external port and its own IP-address are allocated for each of the devices in the system.
- When the router itself is configured, go to each individual camera. It is easy to configure each such device directly.
- Each device has its own unique IP address. You cannot use the shared.
- After configuration, each of the cameras is connected to the router. You can see the devices immediately after connecting.
- To view the information, you need to use the request “static IP address: external port of a specific camera”.
- System connection with DVRs is the same as described above. The wireless method works here too.
Important. Even when the system setting is correct, some users have problems with remote video viewing
The reason for this situation is frequent connections to cameras on the same network. That is, a request is sent from the IP address to connect to it. This is not a logical action, the device is physically unable to fulfill the request. Videos are viewed from other IP addresses.
Option 7 (for those who use IE):
So, the device is installed and ready to use. The video stream of the configured camera can be received directly from the local network (by wire and via WI-FI), via the Internet or through specialized cloud services.
How to connect a laptop to the Internet via a cable
From the local network
After completing the settings, a regular IP camera is immediately ready to broadcast streaming video to the network. You can connect in the following ways:
- by going to the web interface;
- by putting the video device into one of the supported surveillance programs, “native” or third-party. At the same time, it is desirable that the device supports the ONVIF protocol, this will significantly expand the list of acceptable software. In addition, it adds additional functions such as hard disk recording, video archive, and more;
- using a media player, if both it and the camera support broadcast protocols (for example, RTSP).
From the internet directly
To see a picture from a camera installed and connected via a router via the Internet, the following conditions must be met:
- the presence of a permanent “white” IP-address;
- Open port on the router “forwarded” to the signal source.
The port is recognized and, if necessary, changed in the web interface of the video camera. On the router, configure the firewall rules so that all connections to the external IP address and this port are “forwarded” to the camera. In professional terminology, this is called Port Forwarding; in the menu of routers, this function is sometimes placed on a tab with this name. In TP-Link devices, for example, the option is called “Virtual Servers”.
Connection via router and cloud server
Some cameras are natively supported by the developer’s cloud. So, for example, it is very easy to set up a Hikvision camera: remote access, recording and viewing of data can be organized through the proprietary Hik-Connect service. But popular cloud services allow users to run almost any gadget into them, as long as they support the required protocols. Among the most popular are RSTP and ONVIF.
Let’s look at how to set up a connection using the Angelcam service as an example.
First you need to register an account at https://my.angelcam.com/. This is done with the usual “mail-password” pair, or using authorization via social networks.
Next, the site will offer to connect the camera:
In general, the choice should be stopped on Regular IP Camera.
Here you can select a device from the list of supported ones, or simply add it manually. The process indicates:
- external IP address;
- if the device is protected by a username and password, the corresponding “tick” is marked and credentials are entered;
- if it is necessary to manually specify the port, check Set Port Manually and enter the previously specified network port number.
Next, just click Detect camera, and, provided the settings are correct, the camera will be connected to the service.
Other “clouds” are connected in a similar way. In some cases, for example, with Xiaomi “smart devices”, the process is simplified to launch the application and scan the QR code, although when working through a router, forwarding of network ports is usually required for normal operation.
Diagram of connecting an analog CCTV camera to a TV, computer
Modern analog CCTV cameras do not differ in image quality from their digital counterparts. But still, there are differences between them. their pros and cons.
- Analog CCTV Cameras Are Cheaper Than Digital.
- An analog signal from a video camera to a storage device can be transmitted over a distance of up to 300 m, which is three times more than when transmitting a digital signal. This is true without using amplifiers and additional power supplies.
- Analog camcorders have a higher sensitivity to light than digital ones.
- Analog video cameras with a small electronic circuit can be smaller than digital ones.
- When connecting non-digital camcorders to a computer or the Internet, you need to use additional equipment to convert the analog signal to digital.
- To control the rotary mechanism of non-digital video cameras, an additional cable must be laid.
So, for any analog camera to work, you need to supply a 12 V supply voltage, and pick up the video signal from it.
Therefore, you need at least two two-wire cables to connect an analog camera. One cable supplies the power supply, the other supplies the video signal from the camera.
To connect the power of the camcorder, cables with connectors are usually used. If three wires come out of the video camera without connectors, then, as usual, the red wire is “”, the black wire is “-” or “common”, yellow is the video output.
It should be noted that miniature CCTV cameras are sold without a power supply. In this case, you can use 12 V voltage to power the camcorder from the computer power supply.
For video signal transmission, you can use cables with RCA connectors. The yellow tulip is usually used for video transmission, the white tulip is used for audio transmission.
Most often, BNC connectors are used to connect video cameras to recorders or video capture cards.
In this case, these BNC connectors must be crimped or soldered onto the ends of the video signal cable.
An ordinary cable cannot transmit a high-frequency signal with high quality over distances of more than 2-3 meters. Therefore, to transmit a video signal over long distances, a coaxial cable is needed, through which the video signal can be transmitted over distances of 200-300 m.Usually, a television coaxial cable with a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms is used for this.
As a receiver or storage device for video signal from an analog camera, you can use:
- TV set;
- video recorder;
- video recorder;
- a computer.
You cannot connect an analog video camera to a computer without a video capture card.
You don’t need to buy anything extra to connect an analog camera to a TV, VCR, DVR.
To connect the mechanism of rotary analog video cameras, you will need two more wiring.
It is desirable that these wiring be a shielded twisted pair, because it controls the rotary mechanism built into the DVR or a separate controller via the RS485 communication line.
In wireless video cameras, signal transmission is carried out by high-frequency radio transmission Wi-Fi, for a maximum distance of up to 100 m in open areas.
Small wireless camcorders are powered by 9V batteries. Also, such devices often have a wire with a connector for connecting to a separate power supply. Of course, you also need to supply power to the recorder of the wireless video camera, and connect its output to the monitor.
The thermal casing of outdoor CCTV cameras can be connected via separate wires or the power cable of the video camera itself.
Power supply of a video camera or thermohousing can be carried out:
- from the mains power supply;
- from an uninterruptible power supply;
- using a battery.
An example of setting up IP video surveillance using iDOM24.RU
Let’s take a closer look at a real example. how to set up video surveillance via the Internet using the iDOM24.RU service.
Before starting the description of the setup, we assume that you have two IP cameras: the first Trendnet TV-IP 110, the second D-Link DCS-932L, which are located in your home local network (i.e. installed at your home). Both IP cameras are configured and, while at home, you can view video from them through the browser without any difficulty. A router (for example, ASUS) is also installed at home, with the help of which you have organized access to the Internet.
The devices have the following IP addresses:
- IP Camera 1: 192.168.0.11
- IP Camera 2: 192.168.0.12
- Router: 192.168.0.1
IP addresses can be any other, but they must belong to your local network.
Your router must also have an external static IP address (provided by your ISP) or be registered with one of the DynDNS systems. In addition to standard DynDNS services, router manufacturers have their own. The D-Link router can be registered in the dlinkddns.com service. ASUS router is registered directly from its WEB-interface. You need to go to the DDNS section, select the WWW.ASUS.COM server, come up with a unique name (for example, myhome) and password. After that, the router will register you. The router will be accessed by name myhome.asuscomm.com.
So, let’s say you registered your ASUS router on asuscomm.com under the name myhome.asuscomm.com. Now, when pinging myhome.asuscomm.com, your router will be pinged from the Internet.
In order for you to be able to view your IP cameras over the Internet, you need to organize port forwarding on your router. How to do this is described in detail in the article “IP-camera through a router: setting up port forwarding on the ASUS WL-500gP V2 router”.
How to setup an IP Security Camera System
Suppose you have configured forwarding to your IP cameras as follows:
- IP Camera 1 is accessible from the Internet at: myhome.asuscomm.com:10011
- IP Camera 2 is accessible from the Internet at: myhome.asuscomm.com:10012
It should also be mentioned that if you use the list of allowed IP addresses in the router settings (i.e. the list of IP addresses from which it is allowed to access the router from the outside, from the Internet), then the IP address of the service must be added to this list iDOM24.RU: 18.104.22.168. Otherwise, your router will block attempts to establish a connection between iDOM24.RU and your IP cameras.
Now you can watch your cameras from the Internet, let’s start setting up the iDOM.RU service.
So, first of all, you need to register with the service. Register here. After registration, the iDOM24.RU service will automatically send you a letter with a secret link to confirm your registration. Confirm your registration by clicking on the link from the letter. Registration is now complete! Now you can enter the video surveillance service using the email address specified during registration.
We go to the service iDOM24.RU by typing your username. email address and password provided during registration. If you suddenly forgot your password, you can easily restore it on the password recovery page.
Go to the “Add an IP camera” section and fill out the form.
The fields must be filled in as follows:
- Select the ip camera manufacturer. in this field you need to select the manufacturer of the IP camera. The manufacturer of our first IP camera Trendnet.
- Select your ip camera model. in this field you must select the model of the IP camera. Choosing TV-IP 110.
- Enter the address of the camera. in this field, you must enter either the static IP address obtained from the provider, or the name that you registered on the DynDNS service. Enter myhome.asuscomm.com.
Note. The local address 192.168.0.11 of the IP camera cannot be entered here. will not work!
- Enter the camera port. in this field, you must specify the port that you assigned on the router when configuring port forwarding (forwarding) for accessing this IP camera. For IP camera 1, we assigned port 10011, enter it.
- Enter the Login used when logging into the camera through the web interface (browser). in this field you must specify the login that you use to log into the camera itself in your local network. As a rule it is admin. For security reasons, we recommend that you create a new user on the IP camera for viewing with reduced rights. almost any camera allows you to do this through its web interface.
- Enter the Password used to log into the camera through the web interface (browser). in this field you must enter the password for your IP-camera. The password must be the same user that you specified in the previous field.
- Description of the camera: where it is installed, etc. in this field it is necessary to describe the place where the IP camera is installed: living room, corridor, nursery, view from the window, etc. This field is not required, but even so for the convenience of working with the service, we recommend that you fill it.
After filling in all the fields, click “Finish” and proceed to viewing. if everything is configured correctly, the service will display the image from your IP camera.
Add the second D-Link DCS-932L IP camera in the same way.
Please note that for the second IP camera we chose the manufacturer D-Link, selected the corresponding model of the IP camera, indicated the camera port: 10012, login and password from the second IP camera and a description of where it is installed.
IP cameras have been added, now you can view them from any computer, tablet or mobile phone through the video surveillance service iDOM24.RU!
If necessary, the settings of IP cameras (description, address, port) can always be changed in the “Settings” section.