Car rear view camera wire pinout
Rear-view video camera. an excellent solution for controlling the movement of a car in reverse, since the mirrors do NOT allow you to fully see what is behind the car. Although you shouldn’t rely heavily on one video camera, because it also has its drawbacks (switching on with a small delay, limited viewing angle, insufficiently clear resolution).
Connecting a rear view camera requires some well-known and skills, so not everyone can do it with their own hands. have to go to the auto electrician. But the majority of drivers do an excellent job with this task, especially if you carefully read this connection manual.
Usually cameras for video surveillance of the situation behind the car have black on the board on the connector. minus and mass, red power supply, maybe 3.3 volts and 5 volts, yellow. integrated video output. There is also control. white or brown, depending on the manufacturer. Red, black and yellow are generally followed by all camera manufacturers. To check, connect it to the TV through a regular “tulip”. should show.
6-wire rear view camera pinout
Here is the same kitchen as on 3, 4, 5-wire, just separate masses are displayed on each line. Camera wire pinout:
- Red wire “” to the reversing light.
- Yellow wire “” for tulip video signal.
- The rest of the wires are “-” on the video signal tulip.
Backlit camera wire pinout
Infrared illumination on the rear view camera displays the image in color in case of sufficient illumination, and in case of insufficient illumination due to infrared illumination, it displays the image in black and white for about 5 meters. So, their presence on rear-view cameras is relevant, in contrast to registrars, where they have an advertising character of “night shooting” without practical use, which cannot be said about LED backlighting on rear-view cameras. it’s better without them than with them!
Connecting two car cameras to the monitor
The principle of operation is such that when the reverse gear is turned on, voltage is applied to the coil, the rear camera turns on, the power contacts of the front camera are open. When the rear camera is turned off, the relay is turned off and through contact 87a plus is fed to the button. Turn on the button. front camera works.
Installing a parking rear camera
Reversing camera connection (classic). The camera connects to the reverse wiring plus to plus and minus to minus. When you turn on the reverse speed from the reversing light, it goes to the reverse camera, and it sends a signal to turn on the monitor automatically, so no additional manipulations need to be done. The reversing camera is automatically disabled when reversing is disabled. The camera is connected using a cord, which is initially available for wiring next to the camera or using a wire with a plug, for which there is a plug for the camera wiring.
There are even wireless rear-view cameras (video transmitter and video receiver with a radio channel), then the connection will look like in the diagram.
Rear view camera mounting methods:
- In the socket for the license plate or in the trunk handle or in the place for the camera. no damage to the car;
- Camera in the frame of the room. the hole for the cord is not visible, since it is along the frame;
- Cut-in chamber. on the principle of a peephole, convenient among parking sensors, in a lock cylinder or just a case;
- On the pin. minimal damage, since the wire passes through the pin itself, imperceptibly, installing the pins up;
- Overhead. have a certain angle and minimum dimensions, often have a certain position for installation;
- On the bracket. convenient in that you can mount in almost all places and change the angle of the camera and rotate the image.
Please note that all cameras are usually powered from 5 volts, there is a voltage stabilizer in it and gives 3.3 volts to the camera itself, for someone this stabilizer can withstand 12 volts, but this is rare, it usually burns out. On ordinary Chinese cameras powered by 12V from a reversing light, a 5 volt stabilizer is sealed in a plastic fork for power and a tulip wire, the camera itself also has a 3.3 volt stabilizer.
Replacing the rear view camera. instruction
Like any other electronic device, these camcorders sometimes burn out (especially if they are powered constantly). Then the replacement steps will be as follows:
Removing the camera.
Cut off the standard harness from the camera, closer to the camera. It will be in a shielding braid, prepare the braid for soldering with another same braid from a new camera.
Here is a new camera, a cord with a tulip connector. A long cord is attached to it, which should stretch to the very screen. We will NOT need all of it, since our screen has a standard wiring to which we are connected. Cut off the connector with a small piece from the long wire and clean it. There will be a central core inside the braid. We’ll need both.
Soldering the wires of the cut off standard harness to the new camera:
- Yellow on standard. to the central vein, cut by a new chamber.
- Braid from standard to braid from a cut new camera
- Black for regular. to the cons of the wires on the new camera (usually black)
- The red from the new camera must be connected to the positive wire supplying the reversing light (green with a white stripe)
Turn on the ignition, put the automatic transmission selector in position R. If there is an image. everything is done right.
If you ask the camera from the reversing light, there may be ripples on the screen when you turn on the camera. will have to be connected from the supply plus through the relay. Disabling it is mandatory, because if you constantly supply 12V to the video camera (for example, from the license plate light), then sooner or later its voltage converter will burn out.
Do not forget to carefully solder and insulate everything, preferably by heat shrinkage. It is advisable to cut the cords with a margin, so that you can quickly replace the camera in the future, and not Disassemble the casing. Before cutting the cords on a standard camera, you need to be sure that it is inoperable. The question of mounting a new camera. purely locksmith and solved without problems. It is better to take an infrared camera. she “sees” better in low light.
How to properly connect a wireless rear view camera to a 2 DIN head unit and connection diagram
To facilitate maneuvering in narrow passages, video cameras are used, brought out to the rear of the car. The information is displayed on the display of the multimedia head unit or on a separate screen. An owner who wants to install additional equipment on his own needs to know how to connect a rear view camera to the radio.
How to choose a camera
The rear view camera is connected to the connectors located on the rear wall of the multimedia center. To ensure the display of a high quality picture, 2 DIN standard car radios are used, equipped with a color display with an increased size. Products with Android or Windows CE operating systems are allowed. There are combined devices located in the body of the salon rear-view mirror, providing recording of the traffic situation and displaying the video signal from the rear camera.
A cable or wireless method is used to transmit the signal from the camcorder. In the second case, a special Wi-Fi wireless communication unit is connected, which provides reception of signals by a radio tape recorder. When choosing a camera, you should pay attention to the angle of view, which determines the safety of maneuvering in confined spaces. It is recommended to use equipment equipped with glass optics with a viewing angle of 120 ° or more. When installing an additional hub, it is possible to use two or more cameras, which alternately display the signal on the screen.
When selecting equipment, pay attention to the case material and product configuration. The camera shroud should fit snugly against the plastic trim or metal panel of the boot lid. The installed camera should not let water into the internal cavities of the body, the body should not be destroyed under the influence of sunlight or reagents, which are used to treat roads in winter. Rubber gaskets are used in the design of products, which should NOT lose elasticity during operation.
Are you a car driver ?! Then you can pass this simplest test and find out. Go to the test “
How and where should it be installed
The housing with the lens is installed on the rear bumper or trunk lid in an area protected from the flow of splashing water and dirt when the vehicle is moving. On some of the products, a nozzle is installed that supplies water to the chamber when the reverse gear is activated. There are cameras made in China that are installed in the hole in the plafond to illuminate the license plate. If the backlight diode remains in the camera, then it will light up the image, degrading its quality.
When properly installed in the camera lens, a 2-3 m long area located behind the car is visible. The field of view depends on the height of the lens, the lower the device is mounted, the shorter the field of view. The removal of the equipment to the upper part of the trunk lid allows to increase the radius by 30-35%. On trucks, cameras are located on top of the rear gate, which provides an overview of the space when driving with the doors open.
How to connect correctly
Connecting a standard rear view camera for a car involves the use of cables for video signal transmission and installation of wires for power supply.
The voltage is turned on only at the moment of reversing, which excludes the transmission of a signal to the display of the radio when stopping or moving forward.
When connecting the camera to a Chinese radio without a digital CAN bus on cars equipped with a reversing lamp control unit, additional relays and a smoothing filter are required.
The classic scheme for connecting a rear view camera involves the use of RCA pads located on the back of the car radio. Such a connector is provided only in the part of the head units; information on the presence of the connector is given in the technical documentation. Patch cables are routed from the camera through the passenger compartment; it is recommended to run the cords parallel to the standard wiring. When laying through the hinges of the trunk lid, a reserve of cable length is provided, which eliminates cable tension.
The design of the camera provides for power, which is supplied through a separate cord from the vehicle’s on-board network. The wire marked Reverce must be connected to the contacts of the reversing indicator lamps. A negative signal is supplied from the car body (for example, from the ground bolt located under the bumper or in the luggage compartment).
When connecting equipment to a Pioneer DIN format 2 radio, you must use the connector marked with the text RC In or Camera In. The mark is applied to the equipment case or in the instruction manual. In the center harness of the radio there is a separate cable marked Reverse (with pink insulators), which must be connected to the positive power circuit. To connect the power, reverse gear lamps installed in the aft side marker lights of the car are used.
Features of connection on machines of European production
To connect the rear view camera to a Chinese radio based on the Android operating system, you need to install cables with “tulips”. The circuit uses additional wires coming from the signal cables. The cords send a signal to the host, allowing a graphical display to be displayed. To power the electronics of the viewing devices, power is supplied from the reverse indicator lamp.
On some European-made machines, a factory lamp control unit is used, which cannot be turned off by reprogramming the controller. When starting the engine, the unit continuously checks the condition of the lamps, which is reflected on the display in the form of interference. The introduction of a relay into the circuit, which is powered by a cigarette lighter or on-board outlet, does not allow the camera to turn on. The breakout box will continuously click, but the display will be.
The introduction of a diode into the circuit with an additional capacitor that smooths the current ripple does not eliminate the interference. To solve the problem, you need to install a high resistance relay with power supply from an outlet or cigarette lighter through an additional unit. The circuit retains a diode bridge and a smoothing capacitor, and does not allow impulses from the lamp integrity control module to affect the relay.
The owner can independently assemble the device by choosing the ratings of the components according to the characteristics of the car.
There are ready-made solutions made by Chinese enterprises, the user only needs to connect the cables. If, after installing the smoothing unit, interference is noted on the display, then the correct operation of the generator and voltage regulator is checked. It is also recommended to make sure that the components of the ignition system are in good condition.
Installing a wireless camera requires positioning a receiver and a signal transmitter. The devices are located in the luggage compartment and near the main unit. For the operation of the transmitting device and the lens illumination, it is necessary to supply power from the reverse gear indicator lamp. With such a connection, between activation of the reverse gear and the display of the image, it takes 2-4 seconds to initialize the communication channel between the transmitter and the receiver.
Camera check and setup
A preliminary check of the equipment is carried out for the installation, the user connects the commutation wires, and then switches the head unit to the mode of receiving information through the composite input. After connecting the product to a Pioneer device, you need to enter the adjustments section, which contains the Back camera item. The user needs to configure the equipment power type via the Battery option (indicates the use of a positive control signal).
If the radio does not see the connected device or the signal is intermittent, then you need to check the contacts and connect the equipment correctly. Then the image resolution is adjusted and the brightness and color balance are changed. To change the settings, use the menu of the main acoustic device. In the design of some cameras, it is possible to adjust the lens installation angle, users adjust the position of the eyepiece according to the picture on the display of the radio, providing the maximum viewing radius.
A possible mirror image warning appears on some Pioneer radios. If the image is NOT true, then the image is rotated 180 ° by changing the polarity of the reverse signal indicator cable. If an additional front lens is used, then a device switch is introduced into the circuit. When reversing, a picture from the rear lens is automatically displayed on the screen of the radio. To assess the situation in front of the machine, move the switch to another position.
Connect the rear view camera to the tablet and sit in the chair
Let’s take a look at how to connect a rear view camera to your tablet without having to purchase a separate monitor. The manual will be useful for car owners in whose cars the standard head unit is NOT equipped with it.
What is a rear view camera device? This is a small optical peephole, most often mounted in the license plate, the video from which is transmitted to the display in the cabin. As a standard, the gadget is connected to the car radio. There are also cameras built into the rearview mirror. The devices are activated automatically when reverse gear is engaged. Their main purpose. provide the driver with a view of the blind spots when maneuvering the machine when moving back.
If the radio has a monitor, you can use any modern mobile device with a screen instead.
How to connect a tablet to a camera?
The signal transmitted by the camera. analog, the tablet recognizes digital. Therefore, just like that, with one cord, these two gadgets cannot be connected to each other.
Rear view camera is connected to Android tablet using EasyCap adapter and OTG USB adapter.
It is the EasyCap device that will provide the delight of the analog signal from the video gadget, and in real time converts it into digital for display on Android. It is an adapter equipped on one side with colored RCA chips for tulips and an S-video connector, and on the other with a USB connector.
OTG USB adapter. This is equipment that provides direct transfer of data from a USB drive to the end device, without having to first download it to a computer. On one side, the gadget has a USB port, on the other. connector with which it can be connected to a mobile device.
So, with the theoretical part, in part, finished. Now let’s go directly to the instructions.
- Install the EasyCap Viewer mobile application (or its analogue) from the Play Market on a digital device and launch;
- Remember to connect the rear view camera to the car power (powered from the reverse lights)
- The bells on the video cable from the video gadget are color-compatible with the corresponding connectors on the EasyCap adapter;
- The USB plug should be connected to the USB OTG port;
- Plug the other end of the OTG into the tablet;
- Done. You were able to pair your car tablet with a rear view camera.
At this time, the EasyCap Viewer will transmit a black screen on the tablet display. However, as soon as you activate the gear lever to the reverse position, an image from the video gadget will immediately appear. Place the display on the car panel in a convenient place and safely maneuver.
If you are the proud owner of a rear view camera with a wireless module, connecting it to your Android tablet will be even easier. Just turn on the hotspot (Wi-Fi or Bluetooth) and find the network on your digital gadget.
Will any device fit?
Excessive requirements for the gadget comments, especially if you do not have an old model. However, there are some nuances. So, what requirements should the tablet meet in order to connect a rear view camera through it:
- Connect to the Internet (to download the application);
- Support OTG function;
- Have an up-to-date version of the operating system compatible with the EasyCap Viewer application;
- Contain pre-installed audio and audio codec;
- It’s easier to connect a rear view camera to an Android tablet;
Pros and cons
Well, we’ve covered how to connect a rearview camera to an Android tablet. Let’s briefly outline the pros and cons of this action.
- No need to buy a monitor if the radio is NOT equipped with it;
- Good signal quality;
- Easy to connect;
- You can use it from time to time (only if necessary), the rest of the time, use the tablet as a regular gadget.
- Lots of wires and cables in the cabin;
- Strong battery wear;
- The gadget will have to be constantly taken from the car or hidden (it is not safe to leave it in the cabin)
- With a wireless connection, the signal is transmitted with a small delay, often with slight interference.
Connection and installation of a rear view camera
Camera. Isn’t that a great way to make parking in tight spaces easier? Installing a rear view camera with your own hands will not take you long. Consider the installation of a mirror with a built-in camera, as well as diagrams for connecting an external device to a monitor of a multimedia system.
There are several ways to equip a car with a rear view camera (review of popular models):
- A separate camera that connects to a standard multimedia system or a self-installed screen;
- A set of cameras with a rear-view mirror, on which the image will be displayed when moving back. It can be either a separate mirror or an overhead panel that will be mounted on top of a standard reflector.
You have to decide where exactly the camera will be mounted. Installation methods:
- In the plafond of the regular license plate lighting. Many manufacturers make transition glasses, which allow you to install a camera and keep the room backlight. If a parking assistant is installed on your car model in certain trim levels, then you just need to purchase such a lamp cover. At the same time, you can pick up a device even among the universal accessories;
- The trunk opening handle, which is often made in a single body with plastic molding above the license plate. The camera in a rectangular case can be easily fixed with ordinary screws;
- Attach to the license plate frame;
- Fit into bumper. Some cars don’t even need to remove the bumper for installation. For such installation, cameras made in an Oval body are suitable. You just need to make a hole in the bumper. For greater reliability from the inside, the body must be placed on a body sealant or sealed with a glue gun. Wires can be routed to the interior of the car through the ventilation holes located in the luggage compartment.
One of the main problems is the lens throwing mud and ice. Even a few standard systems are equipped with such a useful function as Camera wash. If you are installing an accessory in the trunk lid of a car, which has a rear window washer, then cleaning is very simple. You just need a tee, which will be implanted into the standard washer line in front of the rear window nozzle. As a spray, you can take a compact nozzle from any suitable car. Since the lens glass is small, there is no point in using a fan nozzle.
The second useful feature is the camera illumination, which is built into the body on some models. It should be admitted that in most cases, the harm from this function is much more than the benefits. The backlight illuminates the camera lens, so the image quality does NOT improve at night. A glare problem can arise if a rear view camera is installed next to the license plate light. In this case, replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs can help. If such a move does NOT solve the problem, you will have to tinker with the protective screen.
Consider wiring carefully. Connections Must be properly insulated. To prevent the wires from dangling and NOT frayed, wrap them with cloth tape, if possible, fasten with ties to a standard wiring harness, or Fix using the technical holes of the body elements. Inside, the wires can be pulled both below along the thresholds and behind the headliner.
Installing a rear view camera with your own hands will not cause difficulties even for a novice car enthusiast, but you need to approach the connection much more thoroughly. It makes no sense to consider the rear-view cameras that come with a special mirror. You just need to connect everything according to the instructions that are necessarily attached to the device.
For the normal functioning of the system, it is used:
- Two-wire cable for powering the camera;
- Two-wire video communication. To transmit video to the monitor, wires with RCA connectors (known to all “tulips”) are used. The conductors are NOT shielded, therefore, if necessary, they can be lengthened or cut for pulling in hard-to-reach places. In some variants an additional excitation wire will come out of the RCA connector for correct system operation.
The excitation wire activates the screen of the radio with a “positive” current, forcing the system to automatically switch to the mode of broadcasting the image from the camera. The excitation wire is not required for all multimedia systems; in some devices, the automatic transition to the rear view camera is carried out via the video link. If such a function is not provided by the radio tape recorder, or the device is not connected correctly, then you will have to change the image on the screen manually by pressing a special button.
The rear view camera and the car monitor can be linked wirelessly. This requires a special module. The power supply of the module is connected to the reversing lamp, and from the module it goes to the camera. The second wireless module is connected to the monitor power. The disadvantage of this method is the interference, which often interferes with the normal transmission of the image. Also, this method is not suitable for radio tape recorders that need an excitation wire.
Let’s take a closer look at the classic connection option. The essence of the above scheme is to connect the camera power to the reversing lamp, the voltage at the terminals of which appears only after turning on the reverse gear. The connector (“tulip”) is connected to a standard output on a radio tape recorder or a screen designed for video communication. The field wire must be connected to the radio output, usually labeled “Reverse”. You can find out whether an excitation wire is required for your multimedia system from the technical documentation for the radio tape recorder. On this, the installation and connection with your own hands for most cars can be considered complete.
Fault monitoring system lamp
What if you have installed a rear view camera in your car and it only works when the car is muted? Many modern cars, usually with German roots, have a lamp health monitoring system. The PWM controller sends rectangular positive pulses along the power wires to the lighting fixtures, which help detect burnout of the rear lights. Since the lamps have inertia, current ripple does not affect their operation. But the reversing camera will not work correctly with such interference.
To prevent this effect, the camera must be connected to the reversing lights through a relay powered by a cigarette lighter (there the current will already be constant). In this case, “” from the OX lamps to the relay winding must be applied only after rectifying with diodes and smoothing the ripple with a capacitor. The “minus” to power the camera must be taken as far as possible after the “mass” of the OX lamps.
We offer you to watch a video with a detailed description of the way to eliminate interference, so that you are guaranteed not to have problems with the picture on your car.
Rear view camera connection. Food
As we promised in the previous article, in the types of connection of rear view cameras (using a video interface, adapter, specially designed cable or directly), we offer you tips and sometimes even requirements for connecting the power of the camera in the car, as well as a small, but very detailed video instructions. Let’s conditionally divide the article into several parts:
Connecting the power of the rear view camera in the car.
Rear view camera power connection. important and much more laborious process than it might seem at first glance. Incorrect power supply can lead to damage to the device itself, damage to the wiring of the car, Incorrect operation of the camera or poor or unstable picture quality.
First of all, “” and “-” of all connected devices must come from the same place. This is the axiom and cornerstone of connecting electronics in a car.
Second, Examine the logic of the installed equipment. As a result, the connected camera should not get out of the picture. What does this mean in practice:
If, according to the logic of the already installed equipment, all the electronics are turned on at the moment the power is supplied to the head unit / monitor, then the camera must be connected accordingly. In many cars, the standard reversing camera (even if it is not) is designed to turn on simultaneously with the ignition of the car. This approach provides an already warmed-up matrix and excellent image quality, especially in the dark, and also, in some cars, activates the video input for the camera.
- If you want to connect the camera in this way, you need to study the minimum power threshold of the camera and use a voltage converter. This is a small block, from the input 7-30 V, at the output it gives out the voltage required for the camera. It must be selected depending on the battery of the camera itself. For example, in our range for this purpose there are voltage converters for 5, 6 and 7.5 V, respectively.
- If the rear-view camera (note, NOT the image from the camera, namely the camera) is activated when the reverse gear is turned on, you can connect the power to the reversing headlights. If there is a “clean” plus and minus, feel free to connect. If the signal is Pulsating (PWM ripple), then to equalize the signal, you must use a filter, for example, a capacitor.
Our engineer, whom you all know, told how to properly connect the camera power. We strongly recommend watching. And don’t forget to like under the video and subscribe to our YouTube channel if you haven’t already.
Features of connecting a rear view camera via a video interface
- Camera activation. When a rear view camera is connected via a video interface, depending on the vehicle, activation occurs via the CAN bus or by supplying 12 V from the reversing headlights. Therefore, when connecting the video interface, you must go to the engineering menu (Factory menu) and configure the activation method (CAN bus or Rear wire).
- Definition of the monitor. When connecting a video interface, it is necessary to correctly determine the diagonal / resolution / type (in some cases) / monitor manufacturer (in some cases) and set the position of the DIP switches accordingly.
- Definition of a standard / non-standard camera. When connecting the video interface, it is necessary to correctly set the position of the DIP switch, which is responsible for determining which camera the picture should be displayed from. That is, if you connect a non-standard rear-view camera, the video interface must identify this camera and activate the image when reverse gear is engaged. If a standard camera is already installed in the car, and you use the video interface to connect navigation or video devices, then set the DIP switch to the appropriate position. The instruction for the video interface will help you with this.
- Definition of the color system. Before purchasing a camera, check which video signal standard your car supports (PAL or NTSC). Camera and vehicle standard must match. Many people think that the video interface somehow adjusts the signal to the required standard. However, this is a delusion. The video interface passes the signal as is. If you did buy a camera with a different signal standard, use a converter.
Common mistakes when connecting a rear view camera
- Meals are taken from different locations. In most cases, “” is taken from the backing lamp, and “-” from the body. We strongly ask you not to do this, I even insist. In such cases, a phenomenon such as a potential difference arises, and at different points the voltage may differ and constantly change. This phenomenon affects the electronics of the connected devices and leads to destabilization and poor or unstable picture quality. ALWAYS take plus and minus from the same place. For example, here is a monitor or main device.
- Power is connected to a pulsating signal from the reversing lamps. In many cars, especially German ones, the signal on the reversing lights is Pulsing. This is done specifically to diagnose the health of the light bulb in the headlights. So, if you have just such a signal, you need to align it and put a filter, which, in turn, needs to be separated from the system by an LED. If you put a capacitor to smooth the signal, but do not separate it from the standard system, then the smoothed signal will go to the reversing lamp, and the on-board computer (the unit that processes this lamp) will receive incorrect data. (See video).
- Camera connection according to the principle of continuous operation without using a voltage converter. Then there is a very high probability that your camera will simply burn out. And by the way, this happens repeatedly.
- Mismatch between the video signal standard of the camera and the car multimedia system.
What to do if the installed camera does not work or is unstable?
- Firstly, it never installs the camera without first checking it. This will save you and your clients a lot of time and frustration. We test devices that we sell, however, the camera may be damaged, for example, during delivery or under other circumstances. Therefore, first carry out the connection “by weight”. If everything works, feel free to install.
- Check the connection cable. The supplied cable is usually 3 to 5 meters long. Accordingly, during installation, it can bend or break. This is quite common.
- Check if the power is connected correctly
- Is the plus and minus taken from the same place
- Does the connected rear view camera work according to the same logic as all installed electronics
- Is a voltage converter used
- What signal is fed to the camera, pulsating or constant (for more details see above in the article and in our video)
Now you know all about the correct connection of the rear view camera. Stick to THESE rules and you will get a very useful and stable assistant. If your camera is unstable after connecting or gives a bad picture, you know what to ask your installer.
We strongly recommend that you contact only trusted workshops and installers who know a lot about electronics. Otherwise, you can lose time, money, and nerves. If you are NOT sure about the wizard, let him read this article and video. This will greatly increase the chances of a successful installation.
Guide on how to properly connect a rear view camera to the radio
Thanks to a device such as a rear view camera (RCV), the driver will be able to know how to park and what obstacles might interfere with it. You will not surprise anyone with such a device today, recently more and more motorists are equipping KZV cars. From this material you can find out how the rear view camera is connected to the car radio and what you need to know about the choice of devices.
Criterias of choice
If you decide to purchase a rear view camera, you may be faced with a wide range of devices on the market. Many brands are engaged in the production of KZV, as a result, the products differ not only in terms of manufacturers and cost, but also in functionality and configuration. In accordance with preferences and capabilities, you can purchase a complete set of device (camera with display), or connect the system to a Pioneer radio or other.
General criteria for choosing a device:
- A type. KZV can be both wired and wireless. In the latter case, it is necessary to organize a Wi-Fi access point in the car.
- Viewing angle. the parameter largely determines the quality of the image coverage. Optimally choose devices with a coverage angle of 120 to 170 degrees.
- Image quality, a lot depends on it.
- Device body. It is important that he be strong.
How to determine the location of the camera?
Before connecting the camera, you need to choose a place for mounting the device. KZV can be installed in the trunk lid, license plate frame or in the rear bumper. Such an installation place will not spoil the external design of the vehicle, it is. the best option in terms of height. the required image will be displayed on the monitor.
Depending on the type, KZV can be installed instead of the license plate illumination, while the device is equipped with a backlight option. But its quality is much worse. The main criterion that you need to rely on when choosing a place for installing the system. how much the camera will get dirty. On many vehicles, due to aerodynamic features, the rear of the bumper can become covered with mud in bad weather.
Installation from A to Z
How should the KZV be installed and connected? If you want the radio with a rear view camera to work for a long time, follow the recommendations below. For installation, you will need a circuit that should be included.
- Remember that all electrical work is carried out with a de-energized on-board network. Therefore, it is necessary to disconnect the battery.
- First, the camera is mounted, in particular. peephole, depending on the design features of the car, a place may be provided for this element. If it is, then it is only necessary to dismantle the cover and install the peephole there. If there is space, then you need to drill a hole in the bumper and fix the peephole in it with silicone or glue.
- Then the wiring from the device is laid in the luggage compartment, the negative terminal should be connected to the mass of the car, for this you can use a regular bolt. The positive terminal connects to the optics wire that turns on when reverse gear is activated.
Diagram of connecting the camera to the display of the car radio
Connecting to the radio
- In order for the image to be displayed on the monitor of the car radio when turned on, it is necessary to lay the yellow wire through the passenger compartment and secure it with electrical tape. Make sure that the cable is not bent and that it is NOT affected by moving parts of the body, otherwise it will have to be replaced soon. If the length of the wire is not enough for laying, you can try to increase its size using a similar cable.
- Then the wire must be connected to the audio system, for this you need to read the instructions for the radio. The connection principle is identical in almost all systems. The end of the yellow wire, the so-called tulip, must be connected to the Video In connector.
- If you use the wireless version of the camera, the principle of connecting the system will be identical. Instead of one end of the wire, it is necessary to install a special sensor in the Video In connector, which is included in the kit to the KZV. Actually, when these actions are completed, the installation procedure for the KZV can be considered complete. But before assembling the upholstery and preparing the car for operation, it is necessary to diagnose the system’s performance.
Camera check and setup
To make sure that everything was done correctly and that the KZV of the type is working in normal mode, it is necessary to check the operability of the device. To do this, connect the battery, start the car engine and engage reverse gear. At this moment, a picture should appear on the display of the radio. if so, then everything is installed and connected correctly.
If there is no picture or is poorly displayed on the display, do the following:
- Go to the car radio menu and select “Settings” or “Settings”.
- Then go to the submenu “Cameras” or “Cameras”, depending on whether the audio system is Russified or not.
- Then in the existing list you need to find your camera.
- Using the settings Let’s adjust the focus and other settings of the KZV eye.
After completing these steps, you can customize the system to fit your needs.
As for the cost, the majority depends on the manufacturer. KZV can be wired and wireless, a lot also depends on this. The price is assigned not only for the brand and type, but also for the functional features, as well as the quality of the device. On average, the cost of KZV on the market is as follows:
Rear view camera connection diagram: diagrams, work procedure, recommendations
The number of cars on the road is growing exponentially. Parking spaces are getting smaller. At the same time, manufacturers increase the dimensions of passenger cars, thereby reducing their ability to maneuver in the parking lot. This leads to emergency situations when reversing. Installing a rear view camera on a car will help to solve this problem.
What is a camera for?
Car designers often sacrifice visibility for the sake of the appearance of the car. This is especially true for rear-view mirrors. Each car has its own “dead zone”. A location with limited or no visibility. In addition, small obstacles in the form of curbs, tensioned chains, towbars of second cars cannot be seen when driving backwards, even in mirrors with a good view.
The solution was found in the form of installing parking sensors. Sonar-based devices. The reflected ultrasound is received by the sensor, showing the distance to the obstacle. However, this method is suitable for everyone. Despite its effectiveness, it is not informative enough.
The visual information provided by the car camera is more meaningful. Looking at the monitor, you can understand the location of the car and other objects. If we talk about standard rear-view cameras, they, in addition to the position, show the dimensions of the car on the screen and correct them by turning the steering wheel. That is, when reversing, the driver sees how the car will pass between obstacles if it starts to maneuver.
How to choose a camera
The first thing to understand when choosing a car camera. The fact that ordinary devices are NOT suitable here. The point is in the specific operating conditions:
- The camera should show the image at minimum illumination.
- Resistant to high humidity and low temperatures.
- Since the image is formed behind the driver’s back, then during broadcasting it should be mirrored.
- The rear view camera should have a tool that allows you to determine the distance to objects. The role of such a tool is a frame or guide lines that indicate the dimensions of the machine.
- The camera is mounted on the bumper or mounted in the license plate. Therefore, it must be properly secured.
The device must comply with the standard wiring diagrams for rear view cameras. Schemes may differ depending on which device the image is displayed on: monitor, 2 din radio tape recorder, video recorder.
It is not bad if the camera has infrared illumination. This option will help improve image quality in poor visibility conditions.
Which matrix to choose
Rear-view cameras have two types of matrices: CCD or CMOS. Each of them has both advantages and disadvantages. For example, CCD is better perceived in the dark, while CMOS has better performance and lower cost. Almost all modern cameras have a CMOS sensor.
What are the ways to install cameras
There are several standard locations where a rear view camera can be installed on a vehicle. The choice of location depends on various factors:
- Car body type. It has been noticed that some types of bodies, for example, a hatchback, are more susceptible to rear end contamination than the same sedan. Therefore, in this case, the higher the camera is installed, the better.
- The ability to connect a standard rear view camera. For installation, a device is provided that replaces the standard rear room lighting. However, these cameras are not sold for every car model.
- Universal fasteners. It allows you to install the device on any plane.
- Installing the camera in the plate under the license plate. This method has proven itself well in cases where the place where the number is installed is not thrown with mud when driving.
There are completely specific installation methods from the tuning category. For example, the cylinder of the trunk lock is removed, and a camera is installed in its place. In this case, the function of locking the lock is taken over by an electric drive.
What are the image output devices
Some devices used in the car are already capable of displaying an image. It can be a 2 DIN radio with a rear-view camera or a video recorder. The requirements for these devices are simple: they must have a video input with the function of receiving video signals of the NTSC or PAL standards.
There are also salon mirrors with a built-in monitor, on which you can display the image from a video camera.
The downside is the small picture. The image transmission from the rear view camera to the recorder also has this disadvantage.
Video camera resolution
Despite the fact that modern monitors can output video at Full HD and higher resolution, the ability of the rear camera is limited to a resolution of 628 x 582 pixels. This is due to two reasons:
- The camera matrix forms the image, the processor converts it into a digital signal.
- After the signal is transmitted, the receiving device encodes it into an analogue color television signal. PAL, NTSC standards initially limited to low resolution.
In theory, it is possible to transmit a video signal in digital form to a receiving device. But in this case, car radios, video recorders, car monitors should have a built-in computer for video processing, which will significantly increase the price of the device.
Installation of two cameras
Some motorists do not understand how much space their car takes in space. It is difficult for them Not only to park in reverse, but also in front of it. For THESE drivers, the output may be to connect 2 rear view cameras. Only one of these will be fitted in the front bumper. In this case, the connection diagram of the rear view camera will change.
The circuit will additionally have a five-pin relay that will switch the signal from one camera to another.
When the car is moving forward, the relay will supply the video signal from the front camera to the monitor. When reversing, power is supplied from the reversing warning light to the relay and it switches. Then the video signal starts coming from the rear camera.
In addition, there are monitors with two video inputs. Such devices are designed to connect two video cameras and are able to switch between them. The main thing here. DO NOT mix up the inputs. The front camera is connected to white, constantly broadcasting the image. The rear camera is connected to the yellow one, which is triggered when the reverse gear is turned on. At this moment, the monitor switches the image from the front to the rear camera.
If there is only one video camera available, then there is no difference in which connector it connects.
Another important point: when connecting the front camera, the mirror reflection function must be disabled.
What materials and tools will be needed for installation
To figure out what tools you need, you need to determine the amount of work. If you are installing a wireless camera that connects to the salon mirror, the tools are only needed in order to set the camera to the bumper or number plate. This option is good for its simplicity and speed of installation, but it has one major drawback. Interference from foreign sources of electromagnetic radiation.
If a rear-view camera is connected to a Chinese radio, then you need to find out what video standard it can work with. It may happen that it works with PAL, while the camera is transmitting an NTSC image. In this case, you will have to either change the radio tape recorder, or additionally connect a monitor.
For a wired connection, you will need to partially disassemble the interior and trunk. Therefore, you will need several types of screwdrivers, special blades. Clip strippers. Wires, terminals, connectors Must come with the camera. Also, the kit should contain instructions and a diagram for connecting the rear view camera to the image output device diagram. In addition, you will need: electrical tape, pliers, wire cutters, heat shrink tubing, soldering iron and solder.
Classic camera connection
Connecting Chinese radio tape recorders to a rear view camera is a simple method that requires specific knowledge. Power for the camera comes from the positive wire of the reversing light. The minus can be taken from any convenient place. Therefore, when the reverse gear is engaged and the reverse light comes on, the camera automatically starts working. And it also turns off when the reverse gear is turned off.
There is one caveat in this connection. Some radios and monitors with a diagonal of 7 inches and above have a different connection diagram for the rear view camera. The circuit, in addition to standard connectors, includes an additional excitation wire. If the camera cord does not have it, and the characteristics of the radio or monitor require, then the excitation cord is made by connecting the wire with one side to the plus of the reversing lamp, and the other side to the reverse wire on the radio.
The excitation wire performs the function of turning on. Even if the monitor or 2 din car radio with a rear view camera is permanently connected to the positive wire, they remain inactive until a signal is applied via the excitation cord.
Connecting a reversing camera to a tablet
Many drivers use smartphones and tablets as navigators. In this regard, the question arises: is it possible to display the image from the rear view camera on “Android” on the tablet??
Using the tablet as a monitor for the camera. Quite a specific task. After all, the tablet has a standard video in connector.
Several years ago, devices appeared that allow you to capture and convert an analog video signal. This device is called EasyCAP. It is the size of a flash drive and connects to the USB port of a tablet or smartphone.
It should be noted that EasyCAP works with tablets with Snapdragon, Tegra, Allwinner / BoxChip processors. And does not work on devices with MTK processors.
EasyCAP software is constantly updated. For its work, the device requires Android 6.1 or higher.
After installing a rear view camera, the process of parking a car is greatly simplified, especially if it has large dimensions. The setup itself does not involve any difficulties: it is enough to have clear instructions for connecting and a little experience in handling the equipment. But if there is no confidence in the correctness of self-installation, there will always be specialists who are ready to help cope with this task.