How to update Android on Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus
Android is a free operating system for mobile devices (TVs, tablets, phones, watches, etc.). The first version was released in 2008. since that day, the platform has received over 40 updates. Innovations help fix old bugs and add new features.
For 2020, the most recent version is Android 10.0, but it is installed at less than 0.01%. Its predecessor is more popular. version 9.0, released in 2019. 10.4%.
And the most demanded version is Android 8.0, installed at 15.4%. The gadgets of Xiaomi are also not spared by innovations. their owners have recently received the seventh and eighth versions. Others have to manually install Android.
We’ll have to wait until the official firmware is released. To install, you need to go to the “Settings” menu and find the “Updates” section. The downloaded Android files are transferred to the device. In the section you need to click on the three dots and specify the path to the directory with the system.
Updates often come over the air. The phone independently notifies about the presence of the firmware. The user only needs to agree to the procedure. then the phone will do everything on its own.
The first option is an unofficial installation
The method involves two installation options:
- Through the MiFlash program;
- Using TWRP-recovery.
The first method requires downloading the firmware to your phone and installing a special program on your computer. MiFlash is the most reliable and proven method, but you will need an unlocked bootloader.
- Download the program on the official website and unpack the archive with files on your computer.
- Install drivers for work.
- Download the archive with the firmware files provided for fastboot.
- Turn off the phone and after 60 seconds turn it on in fastboot mode (hold down the power key and decrease the sound volume).
- Connect smartphone to computer.
- Run the program, click on “Refresh” and specify the path to the directory where the previously downloaded firmware is located.
- Click on “Flash” and wait for the firmware to complete.
The procedure with TWRP recovery is more difficult, but it allows you to easily install custom firmware on your phone, for example, pure Android on Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus.
Important! For this kind of settings, the phone must have root rights installed. Before flashing, be sure to create a backup. to return to the old parameters in case of failure.
The main differences between Android 7 and 8, 9
Before updating Android to Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus, you need to know about the differences between the versions. Oreo has received quite a few changes, the main one being improved performance and system responsiveness. According to the assurances of the developers, the new version provides an increase in performance by 20-25%. Thanks to optimization and the battery is able to hold a charge longer.
An interesting feature is picture-in-picture (split screen). It allows you to watch videos on your home screen, while doing several things on your phone at the same time.
The developers have implemented a voice assistant. it is able to process text and voice requests. Sections are sorted into categories to make it easier for the owner to customize their smartphone.
- Interface. The exterior has been heavily redesigned. Now there are no 3 navigation keys, and there is only one left. “home”. The functions of the remaining buttons are assigned to the gesture system.
- The App Actions feature works with artificial intelligence. The phone may offer to turn on Maps while on the road or perform other useful actions in applications.
- Digital Wellbeing. This feature allows you to control the frequency of application usage. For this, a special panel is provided. It is interesting that in previous versions it was possible to find out only about the energy expended. A timer is provided for setting restrictions or reminders.
- This mode allows you to mute all sounds, notifications and calls with one click. This is a very handy feature to help you stay focused on business. To activate the mode, just turn the phone over. At the same time, important contacts (for example, family) will still get through to the subscriber.
- Wind Down. This is the mode for using the phone in the “Rest” mode. The screen is switched to monochrome at the specified time of the day so that the owner does not sit too long. If necessary, the function can be disabled and the display will not darken.
- Google ML Kit. It is a whole set of developer tools for integrating machine learning into applications. So, third-party authors get at their disposal resources for recognition (faces, text, speech, etc.). The innovations are intended to make the utilities “smarter”.
- Support for rounded screens. Now such a display is installed on almost every new product. The system natively supports this format. Not only the upper protrusions are taken into account, but also the roundings. It helps developers not to work and recycle applications.
It will be very difficult to list all the minor changes. They discreetly improve phone performance and help create a smoother, more fluid experience with your phone. The operating system is improving with every update.
Who got the update to Android 8 and 9
The lines of Xiaomi are divided into segments for budget models and flagships. During 2018, the owners of all the phones listed below were supposed to receive Android 8. The first among the Oreo models was sent to the Mi A1, but the transition process was suspended due to flaws in the system.
Android 8 should have come to all phones released by the company in 2017. if it doesn’t, then try updating your smartphone manually.
MIUI 10 Global ROM based on Android 8.1 has been sent to Redmi phones:
- 5 Plus;
- Note 5A;
- Note 5A Prime.
The same MIUI 10 for the third and fourth generation Redmi phones is built on Android 7.1. The information regarding these phones was correct. they will not be provided with an update. However, some custom firmware versions still allow users to enjoy the innovations.
According to the company, not all phones will be updated to Android 9, but the bulk of the models released between 2016 and 2019. The list of contenders also includes Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus.
How to update Android on Xiaomi
There are several options to install the new Android on your phone. It is much easier if the manufacturer automatically sends files to the phone. Then they are downloaded when connected to the network and the user does not have to rush away.
Phones should receive regular updates. They make working with a smartphone faster and more convenient.
- Downloading the Offical TWRP App via Google Play.
- Providing the utility with root access.
- Choose your device and click the “Download TWRP” button.
- Then select the downloaded recovery file and click “Flash to recovery”.
- That’s it, after that the smartphone itself will launch the recovery, from which the necessary manipulations will be performed.
It is suitable for owners of smartphones for which support is discontinued or the transition to a new version of Android is not provided by the developers:
- Redmi series: all models released before Redmi 4 and its modifications (inclusive);
- Redmi Note series: all models released before Redmi Note 4 and its modifications (inclusive);
- Mi series all models up to Mi 4 and its modifications (inclusive).
You can find it using Google or Yandex at a request of the form: phone_model firmware site: w3bsit3-dns.com/forum. The most convenient and easiest way is to reflash a smartphone from TWRP custom recovery.
Differences between latest Android versions
- Modified design;
- The ability to “lull” notifications;
- Unobtrusive download of update files;
- Added picture-in-picture function for multi-window mode;
- Dynamically changing icons;
- Autocomplete fields.
- New interface;
- Added a button to take a screenshot;
- pleasant animation;
- Screen cutout support;
- Gesture control system;
- Increased autonomy;
- Setting custom limits on the amount of time you interact with the gadget;
- Automatically turn on do not disturb mode.
- Support for bendable devices;
- New themes and fonts;
- The level of confidentiality is increased;
- Built-in screen recording function;
- Additional possibilities for post-processing photos;
- HDR10 support;
- Added interaction with music controllers.
Which Android versions do Xiaomi smartphones support??
Unfortunately, not every device can be updated to the latest Android OS. Many smartphones no longer support current firmware. Therefore, before installing a new version of Android, you need to make sure that the device will work with it.
The following Xiaomi devices received support for Android 8:
- Redmi 5, 5 Plus, Note 5A, 5A, Note 5A Prime;
- Mi 5, 5S, 5S Plus, 5C, 6, 8, 8 SE, 8 EE, 8 Pro;
- Mi Mix, Mi Mix 2, 2S;
- Mi Max, Mi Max 2.
The following devices support Android 9:
- Pocophone F1;
- Mi A1, A2, A2 Lite;
- Mi Mix 2S, 3;
- Mi 8, 8 SE, 8 EE, 8 Pro, 9, 9 SE;
- Redmi 7, Note 7, Note 7 Pro.
- Mi 8, 8 SE, 8 EE, 8 Pro, 9, 9 SE;
- Mi Mix 2S, 3;
- Redmi K20, K20 Pro, Note 7, Note 7 Pro.
After you have made sure that the existing smartphone supports the required OS version, you can safely update the gadget in any convenient way.
Flashing through Recovery
If the update fails by previous methods, the user will have to use third-party programs. One of these can be the Official TWRP App, but you must first download the firmware file to your smartphone. Further actions are recommended to be performed in accordance with the algorithm:
- Open ROOT rights for Xiaomi or Redmi;
- Go to the Official TWRP App and install the firmware through it;
- Turn off the smartphone, then hold down the volume rocker and the power button;
- In the menu that opens, reset the data, having created a backup in advance;
- Click “Reboot Recovery”;
- Click “Install” and select the update file;
- After installing the firmware, reboot the OS with the command “Reboot System”.
Three point firmware
If your Xiaomi does not see new versions, you can use the three-point update. The process is similar to the previous one, except that you need to find the firmware file yourself.
Download the firmware files only from the official website, as any slightest virus can destroy the system. The exception is custom firmware for experienced users, they can be downloaded from thematic forums.
To update through the official website, we need a phone with Internet access, or a PC and a USB cable for a smartphone.
- Open the official website.
- Find your phone model in the list.
- You will see a list of all available firmware.
- Look at your smartphone for the firmware version. You can find this information in the item “About phone”.
- Find on the official website the most recent version suitable for your phone and download it.
- After downloading the file, place it on the Xiaomi memory card in the downloaded_rom folder, you can do this using a USB cable if you downloaded the file from a PC, or by transferring it if you used a phone.
- Next, you need to go to Settings. About phone. System update.
- In the upper right corner, click on the three dots icon.
- In the drop-down menu, click “Select firmware file”.
- Specify the path to the downloaded file.
- The update process will begin. After its end, the device will automatically reboot into the already updated system.
It is strictly forbidden to migrate from one firmware version to another. That is, if the weekly version is installed on the smartphone, we set the weekly version, if stable. stable. If you select a different version, all files on the phone will be deleted, and the smartphone will return to factory settings.
If a window with an error appears when choosing a firmware, then the versions of the current and the installed system do not match. Also try to transfer the file to the device again, perhaps it was not written correctly.
Updates may not come automatically due to server overload, so users from different cities receive notifications at different times. Otherwise, Xiaomi’s servers will simply “collapse” and no one will be able to update. Therefore, if you have not received a notification about the new version, download it on the official website and install through the “three dots”, there is nothing complicated about it.
With the correct choice of the version, all available information will be saved on the phone, and the flashing process will take no more than half an hour.
Over the Air Update. OTA
New firmware versions are regularly released on Xiaomi smartphones. Usually, in the notification curtain, the device prompts the user to download the update automatically, in other words, using OTA.
OTA. Over The AIr, literal translation “over the air”. The system is updated via the internet, without using a PC or any wires.
In addition to Internet access, a Mi-account must be configured on the smartphone, since notifications of new versions of the MIUI system come through it.
This method does not require any special knowledge and does not take much time.
- The battery must be fully charged first. Some smartphone models will not be able to start the automatic update process if the battery charge is below 30 percent, and some require a minimum of 60%. It is best to update the firmware while keeping the phone on charge, because if it runs out of power in the process, the installation will go wrong.
- Go to Settings. About phone. System updates. Check. The smartphone will see the update file, if available. You must agree with the installation offer and restart the device.
- You cannot use your smartphone while the update is in progress. Upon completion, it will reboot itself into the MIUI system.
Some Xiaomi models may not “pull” the new firmware version due to a weak processor or low Android version.
If you have root-rights or custom recovery installed, an over-the-air update is not recommended, it is better to run it manually through the recovery system or Miflash. How to do this, we will figure it out below.
Unlocking the bootloader is necessary for flashing through TWRP, but it entails a complete formatting of the device. Before carrying out the procedure, make a backup.
There are two ways to unlock: official and unofficial.
- For the official way, you need to go to the unlocking site and apply there to unlock the bootloader. To do this, you need to register on the site, indicate the reason for unlocking in the application and wait for approval. The term of consideration is from three to ten days. After you have been approved for unlocking, you need to download the Mi Flash Unlock program and follow the instructions in it.
- The unofficial method implies the installation of ADB and drivers for the smartphone, you can find them on the official ADB website. After installing the program, we transfer the phone to fastboot mode (volume down and power buttons at the same time) and connect it to the computer. Open the console in the ADB folder by holding down the Shift button and enter “fastboot oem unlock”. That’s it, the bootloader is unlocked, we restart the phone.
Synchronizing your computer with your phone
Before connecting a smartphone to a PC, you need to make sure that the battery charge is at least half the capacity.
- Turn off the gadget with the power button and enter the “fastboot” mode by holding down the shutdown and volume down keys.
- Without disabling the mode, connect to a computer using a USB cable.
- Run command line as administrator and go to the previously created directory of the folder with firmware and Miflash.
- You need to check the synchronization of devices by entering the “fastboot divices” command, the response to which will be to notify the system about successful pairing. In case of an error, you need to check the integrity of the USB cable or reinstall the drivers.
- Enter the command “fastboot oem reboot. edl”, which will put the mobile into emergency boot mode. The change of modality will be marked with a signal to connect a new device to the PC.
- Pairing reached.
Updating with Miflash
Xiaomi has developed a special software for flashing devices, which not only allows you to update Xiaomi Redmi 5 to Android 8, but also guarantees system recovery if something goes wrong.
- a computer or laptop with at least 7 Widows installed;
- download Miflash from the official website;
- tgz firmware archive.
The next version of the Android OS is of great interest to the audience. Therefore, it is recommended to update your smartphone without fail. But this must be done in compliance with all the indicated rules and algorithms. Do not update if you are not completely sure whether Xiaomi supports a certain version of Android, otherwise you will need professional help.
In each new version of the Android OS, developers add new functions, simplify the interface, improve security and optimize battery consumption. This article will tell you how to update “Android” on any Xiaomi model.
If the system does not see updates
How to update Android on Xiaomi Redmi 5 if notifications about new software versions cannot be found in the settings? You need to download the firmware from the Xiaomi web site.
- Download the necessary archive from the Xiaomi website.
- Move the file to the root directory of the phone to the downloads section.
- Go to smartphone settings and click on “system update”.
- Select the downloaded archive through the explorer.
- Confirm software update.
- Wait until the end of the replacement of modules and the reboot of the device.
- After making sure that Android has changed, delete the archive.
Important! Before installation, the system checks the legitimacy of updates and compliance with the selected device. Therefore, to avoid errors, you should download files only from an official source.
Tips before installing an update
Before starting the procedure, in order to prevent the smartphone from turning into a “brick”, it is recommended:
It will suit owners of smartphones with a locked bootloader and official MIUI firmware:
- Redmi series: all models released after Redmi 5 (inclusive);
- Redmi Note series: all models released after Redmi Note 5 and its modifications (inclusive);
- Mi series: all models released after Mi 5 and its modifications (inclusive).
Upgrade over the air
The simplest and most popular method used by most Xiaomi device owners. In the case of over-the-air updates, you do not need to download additional applications and files. All operations are performed through preinstalled programs. You need to go to the “Settings” application, open the “About phone” item and click on the “Updates” line.
Update after downloading the firmware file
If you cannot reflash by air, you can use another method. It differs from the previous one in that the owner of the smartphone must first download the update file to the smartphone from the official Xiaomi website.
- Place the downloaded archive in the “downloaded_rom” folder, which is located on the device’s internal memory (internal storage or SD);
- Go to the update section and select the downloaded firmware file.
Further actions are completely similar to updating by air.
Flashing devices that do not support the new Android
Not all Xiaomi smartphones have officially received support for Android 8 and 9, let alone version 10. However, it is still possible to install the firmware on an outdated device, although there are many risks associated with this. For example, no one guarantees the fact that after the update the gadget will work flawlessly. But if this moment does not repulse you, then you can use custom (unofficial) firmware.
Links to download such updates are posted on specialized forums like w3bsit3-dns.com. Installation takes place in the same way as in the case of the official firmware.
How to update Xiaomi Redmi 5 to Android 8.0 and 8.1
There are several ways to update the gadget: the official method and several “folk” ones. Which one to choose. everyone decides for himself.
How to update the app on Android?
Google insists that applications using the Play Market are updated automatically, which, in fact, happens when the user connects to the network via Wi-Fi. However, these default settings can be changed, and then the user decides when to update the applications. By the way, do you know how to do this if the app’s auto-update is disabled? We know.
Updating applications through the Play Market
Be sure to connect to the Internet, and preferably unlimited, so as not to pay for downloaded traffic.
Call the menu by clicking on the button indicated in the screenshot.
If everything is done correctly, a menu will open in which you need to select the line “My applications and games”.
You see a list of applications for which an update is available. If you need to update one application, click on the button of the same name next to it.
After clicking, the update will be downloaded and installed automatically.
When this happens, the app will disappear from the list of apps for which an update is available.
If you click “Update All”, accordingly, the update of all applications will start. one by one.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 против Redmi 5 Plus
Another option for updating the application is also possible. All in the same Play Market, specify the application you need in the search. Let it be WhatsApp for example.
On the application page, click “Update”.
Wait for the update. When this happens, the “Open” button will appear.
How to update an Android application manually (without the Play Market)?
Option one: you download the updated application from the w3bsit3-dns.com forum in the form of an APK file, if, of course, it is there. Then you install on your smartphone.
Option two: copy the link to the application into a script like APK downloader, after which the script generates a direct link to download the application (services are easily googled).
But it is better to use an official source, that is, the Play Market. in order to avoid installing applications from unknown sources. You never know what to install.
Download the required firmware
- Redmi 5 Plus MTK GLOBAL
- Redmi 5 Plus QUALCOMM GLOBAL
- Redmi 5 Plus MTK CHINA
- According to the chipset version and MIUI, please select the corresponding firmware.
- When we are in the correct tab, just click on the DOWNLOAD full ROM button in the STABLE ROM tab.
- Remember to select only the higher or the same firmware version. Firmware downgrade without Unlocked Bootloader is not allowed.
A WARNING! Changing the firmware on your phone will erase all of your data. All described operations you perform at your own peril and risk. If you want to keep your data, please make a backup before starting.
How to update firmware in Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus
Want to update your Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus firmware? Are you looking for a way to change and flash your device to the latest firmware? This solution is just for you. Follow our instructions and update your Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus in a safe and easy way.
Updating the firmware. Flash Tutorial
If this solution helped you, share it with others to help them, and subscribe to our pages at. and Instagram
Manually through settings
This option is suitable for those cases when the smartphone cannot find an update over the air. To install the current firmware version, you first need to download the installation file from the developer’s official website. After placing the zip file in the device memory, you need to do the following:
- Open phone settings.
- Go to the system update section.
- Press the button with three dots, and then click on the heading “Select firmware file”.
- Specify the folder where the zip file was saved.
- Confirm installation of updates.
The further process will not differ from the one that was presented earlier in the updates over the air. That is, the smartphone will reboot, and after installing the firmware it will be ready for use.
How to find out the current Android version on Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus
It is recommended that you check the current firmware version before installing updates. Your phone may already have up-to-date Android and no update is required.
- Open smartphone settings.
- Go to the section “About phone”.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus review
This section will indicate the current firmware version. At the beginning of 2020, the current OS is Android 10, but very soon Google will release another update to Android 11.
Despite the fact that each subsequent version of the firmware carries a lot of new functions, after the update, some smartphones work unstable. This happens when the user ignores the preparatory phase.
Before installing updates on Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus, you need to meet 2 basic requirements:
- charge your smartphone at least 30%;
- reset to factory settings.
And if everything is clear with the first point, then the second one raises many questions for some people. Resetting to factory settings completely deletes files from the smartphone’s memory. This avoids errors when installing updates.
Of course, no one wants to lose personal data, so you need to create a backup before resetting:
- Open the settings.
- Go to the “Memory and backups” section.
- Click on the heading “Google Drive”.
- Activate backup.
Following these steps will result in the backup file being uploaded to the cloud storage. After updating Android, it can be restored.
If there is not enough space on Google Drive to save all the data, it is recommended to create a backup via the “Copy and Restore” item. The resulting file should be moved to another device (for example, a computer) for the duration of the flashing, and after the process is completed, return it back to the phone’s memory.
If the backup has been successfully created, you can safely proceed to roll back the phone to the factory settings:
- Run device settings.
- Go to the “Recovery and reset” section.
- Select the item “Reset settings”.
- Click the “Reset Phone Settings” button.
- Confirm the operation.
Now you need to restart your smartphone, and then go directly to the process of installing a new firmware.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus phone update
For several years since the release, smartphones have continued to be supported by the manufacturer. All this time, the user receives updates that add new functions. To update Android on your Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus phone, you need not only to follow a few simple steps, but also to prepare for the procedure.
Manually via Recovery Mode
This option is similar to the previous method due to the fact that the firmware file must first be downloaded to the phone. But the rest of the process will be very different, since for installation you will need to go to the engineering menu (Recovery Mode).
To go into recovery, you need to turn off the device and hold down the power button and the upper volume rocker for a few seconds. If nothing happened, you should change the combination to the power button and the lower rocker.
Provided that everything is done correctly, the recovery menu will light up on the screen. It uses the volume buttons to navigate, and confirms the action by pressing the power button.
You need to select the “Reboot system now” item if you want to perform an over-the-air update. The “Apply update from ADB” parameter is responsible for installing the firmware from the internal storage, and the “Apply update from SD card”. from the memory card. By selecting the appropriate item, it remains to confirm the operation and wait for the end of the process.
Ways to Update Android on Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus Phone
The Android operating system can be updated in a variety of ways. There are both classic and alternative options. It is recommended to consider the update methods in the order in which they are presented in this material.
This is the easiest and most common way to update your phone. The main condition, in addition to performing the preparatory procedures, is the presence of an Internet connection.
To install a new Android, you will need:
- Go to device settings.
- Go to the section “About phone”.
- Select “System Update”.
- Press the “Update” button.
Then the phone will automatically search for updates. If they are available for this model, you will be prompted to download the firmware file and click the “Install” button. After that, the device will reboot and be ready for further use.
What to do after installing updates
As soon as the process of flashing the device is successfully completed, you need to turn on the smartphone and check how stable it works. If everything is in order, you can restore the backup file.
In the case when the backup was uploaded through Google Drive, it is enough to go through authorization on the phone using your Google account. The data will be restored automatically. If the backup file was placed in the memory of another device for the duration of the updates, it must be uploaded back to the mobile device.
When the backup is not restored automatically, you should perform the operation manually. You will need to open the settings, go to the “System” section and activate the function of downloading a backup copy.
This MIUI version cannot be installed on this device
Above, I have described how it should ideally be before installing the firmware, so that you can safely install different versions without getting additional problems. If you did not do this, but sewed, then you will receive a constant reboot of the device in the Recovery menu and the message in red “This miui version cannot be installed on this device”, popularly called this turning into a brick.
And it is not uncommon for users to receive “This miui version cannot be installed on this device” even without installation using third-party programs, and after an elementary MIUI update.
I will consider the way to solve this problem using the example of Xiaomi Redmi 5, but in fact it is also suitable for other models.
My background is simple. I have downloaded the Xiaomi firmware update program. MiFlashPro allows you to choose the latest firmware for your model, it will download it from Xiaomi servers, you only need to indicate in which way you want to install it. Recovery or FastBoot. Personally, I hoped for the adequacy of the program and, without any doubt, installed MIUI 9.5.11 via fastboot instead of running 220.127.116.11. As it turned out later, it was not worth trusting and after the reboot I received a permanent reboot and FastBoot lock.
Digging through a bunch of forums, I found a lot of solutions, to my regret, none of them turned out to be working. Flashing via MiFlash to other versions, as well as restoring to other versions via Recovery, did not bring any results.
The method for desperate ones with the closure of contacts on the board was also tested, but this also did not give any result. The same reboot and the Recovery menu window with the error “This miui version cannot be installed on this device”. Below I have described an absolutely working way that I myself fixed this error.
Unlocking Xiaomi Bootloader
If you come across Xiaomi models with Recovery 3.0 installed, then with 99% probability it can be argued that your bootloader is locked. This step has already been taken in the last few lines of the Xiaomi lineup in order to increase the security of smartphones. What does this threaten us?
Locking the smartphone after an external MIUI firmware update. By external, I mean methods such as using third-party software to update the firmware, we will dwell on it a little further.
The consequences are actually pretty sad. The bootloader allows you to install a different version for the first time, without any stutters or warnings, but after that the smartphone goes into a constant reboot and gets stuck on the Recovery partition.
In parallel with this, the FastBoot firmware method is blocked. Attempts to install other firmware versions and restore different versions from Recovery lead to the same result.
To avoid these consequences, you will need to follow a few simple steps that will unlock the Xiaomi bootloader.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 Firmware | Possible consequences and their solution
Welcome all! Not long ago I became the owner of a brand new Xiaomi Redmi 5. Since the MIUI firmware update froze on version 18.104.22.168, then naturally, as a creative person, he became interested in this issue. How you can flash Redmi 5 to a different MIUI version and what you need to consider before doing this, now I will write down. So that you do not step on the same rake.
Important! On all the latest versions of Xiaomi. Redmi 5 is no exception, the bootloader is locked. This means only one thing, you can easily upgrade to another version, but immediately after installing the new firmware, the smartphone will be blocked and it will turn into a brick-like state. That is why I highly recommend that you read the recommendations before making any decisions related to updating the version of the Xiaomi shell.
Mi Unlock utility
After adding an account on your smartphone, you need to go to the site http://en.miui.com/unlock/, click unlock now and download the unlock utility on your PC. The utility is only for Windows, so if you are using MacOS or Linux, then take care of the virtual machine in advance. How to install a virtual machine on a Mac or in parallel with Windows is on our website.
Install the program and run it. Log in to your Mi Cloud account. We connect via USB to the PC, reboot the smartphone into FastBoot, simultaneously press the Volume “-” and Turn off (lock), the phone will reboot and a welder rabbit in a hat with earflaps will appear on the screen. After connecting, click unblock.
If you did everything right. Then you will receive a message that the bootloader will be unlocked in 360 hours. After this period, we reconnect and launch Mi Unlock to confirm that the bootloader is unlocked, the unlock status will also change in the developer menu.
If you have not added an account from your smartphone, as I wrote about earlier, then you will be asked about this:
There are actually a lot of unlocking instructions, but unfortunately 98% of them are already outdated. All of them write about filing an application on the Mi Unlock website, which is no longer required at the moment. And to unlock the Xiaomi bootloader, it is enough to perform these two simple steps and wait for the end of 360 hours.
Turn on developer mode in a smartphone
The developer mode in Xiaomi is a special section of smartphone settings that allows you to expand the capabilities of the operating system. By default, it is hidden from prying eyes and to find it, you need to perform some actions.
First of all, go to the smartphone settings and click on the lowest button. “About phone”.
In the list that opens, look for the “Firmware version” item and quickly click on it 5-7 times, depending on the device model. This will cause the display to show the message “Developer options are open” or something like that.
Then you should go back one screen and go to the “Advanced” section. Among other items in the section there will be one that we have just activated. “For Developers”.
We go to the MIUI Lock Status and if we see that it is locked, add an account and a device by clicking the button at the bottom of the screen.
I apologize for the screenshots in English, as I myself got into a similar situation a little earlier, at the moment the phone is in English. But I think it will not be difficult for you to translate or choose a consonant point in the Russian version.
Adding an account and a device is a mandatory item in unlocking the bootloader, without it you will not be able to do this.
A working way to restore (scratch) Redmi 5
Break of a huge amount of information, I came across a small note about the program. XiaoMiTool which is very simple and solved my problem. And now, in order.
First, follow the link and download XiaoMiTool. http://www.xiaomitool.com
Installing the program. By default, it is installed on the C drive in the Xiaomi folder, if you choose a different path, then remember it, why you will understand further.
After installation, go to the folder where you installed and run FastFlash. We launch the program, connect the smartphone via USB and reboot it in the recovery menu (Volume “” shutdown), after which we select the bottom item will connect to the assistant.
After the program has identified, set the settings and run.
The program itself downloads from the Internet and flashes. 15-20 minutes for everything. The phone will boot to the MIUI home screen.
Some people advise leaving the second point None. in my case, this led again to a reboot. It is very important that in the first paragraph there is a choice of the Chinese version for developers, any other version will return you to the original result.
And now an equally interesting fact! A lock on the screen and several hieroglyphic links. If your phone is linked to a Xiaomi account, then you will definitely come across it. For many of those who encounter this for the first time, this screen drives them into a stupor and, considering that they did something wrong, the smartphone is sewn using a new or different versions and programs. It’s actually quite simple.
Since we installed the Chinese firmware, and the phone was previously tied to the account, we will need to log in. If we entered the global firmware, then everything is located there a little differently. Initially, the language is selected, then the entrance to Google, and only after the end to the Mi account. But we put the Chinese one for developers, and all Google services are cut out of it by default, so we get straight to the final destination. For me personally, this was a revelation, since one screen appears with hieroglyphs and two buttons. First button. this is the Wi-Fi connection setting, the second. this is entering the password for the account.
As you understand, the password is checked through the Internet, so it is very important to first connect Wi-Fi, and only then enter the password, otherwise an error is displayed under the input field. hieroglyphs)))
If your account is tied to a phone number, then the card must be inserted either into a locked device, in this case, at random in a pop-up window, you must give permission to read SMS for Mi Cloud. Or to another work mobile phone, so that a confirmation code is sent to it and you can confirm it to unlock.
After entering and checking the password via the Internet, confirming the phone number by the code from the SMS, you will be able to select the MIUI language. These are the Chinese developers from Xiaomi humorists))) In the Chinese deloper firmware, hieroglyphs and English are available.
I tried to find you a visual photo of the screen, but unfortunately I could not find it in Runet. I don’t want to reflash because of the photo of two screens. In any case, there are not so many buttons, so you yourself will figure it out perfectly.
We go directly to the settings and turn on the developer menu;
Add an account and a device to unlock;
Download the MiUnlock utility, connect the device and click unlock.
That’s all. We are waiting for 360 hours, until this moment we will have to use the firmware in English with partially encountered hieroglyphs. After the expiration date and status confirmation. Unlocked, we install the global stable firmware or for developers to choose from using the same Mi Flash PRO. In the installed global firmware, you can already select any language you want and use your smartphone to the fullest.
Also, you are no longer afraid of the problem “This miui version cannot be installed on this device”. since it only appears on devices with a locked bootloader.
I tried to write this article in the most detailed and understandable way, but if you have any questions, write in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев, I will try to help.