The rear view camera does not turn on and does not work: the patient lived?
In this post, we will explain why the rear view camera sometimes does not work in the car. By the way, this is a very capricious gadget! The reasons due to which it may stop functioning. a lot, here are the effects of weather, to internal problems. We will try to give all the existing explanations, and also, of course, outline ways to solve each problem.
Ready? Then let’s go!
First, a little advice! If you are the owner of a new rear-view camera, with not expired warranty period, but it has stopped working, it is better to entrust the search for the cause of the malfunction to the specialists of the service center.
After all, it’s their job!
But, it is better to first try to find the malfunction of an old rear-view camera yourself. It is quite possible that you will be able to solve the problem with your own hands, without cost and strong hassle.
Consider the main types of problems that may arise when handling this car gadget:
- The rear view camera does not show the image automatically (does not start working when reversing)
- The device does NOT react at all, does not turn on, there is no signal;
- The picture is cloudy, dirty, foggy;
- The image is mirrored or inverted. frequent crash in Chinese devices;
- Rear view camera sends a blue screen (or black, white) to the monitor
- Noisy picture (blinking or flickering)
- The gadget works, but displays the markup incorrectly.
Reasons and solutions
Let’s move on to the reasons why the rear view camera does not work. All of them can be divided into three groups:
- Problems with the power supply, violation of the integrity of wires and contacts. The problem could arise after self-pinout or over time;
- Installation is incorrect. The installation location has a great impact on the durability of the gadget. So, if the device is installed inside the passenger compartment, it is less exposed to environmental factors (moisture, dust, frost), but it reacts more strongly to electromagnetic interference from the second automotive equipment;
- Mechanical damage to external or internal elements of the device.
Next, proceed to the troubleshooting instructions. Stick to our algorithms, and you may not have to go to the specialists.
- First, let’s look at why the rear view camera doesn’t automatically turn on. That is, yesterday the device worked normally, but today the screen stopped showing.
- Most likely, the gadget has stopped receiving power from the source. As a rule, it is connected to reversing lights. As soon as the automatic transmission turns on the reverse gear, voltage arises, the lamps light up, the camera starts automatically. If the lights are burnt out, the camera may malfunction as well. To eliminate this dependence, the optical device is connected to the reversing lights through a relay with a constant current from the cigarette lighter.
- Another variant. the contacts could come off and the device disconnected from the gearbox sensor. It is necessary to check the regulators, restore contacts, and sometimes even replace the sensor. And yes, remember to check the voltage first with a multimeter. it should be 12 volts.
- If the rear view camera does not work, it says “there is a signal”, the reason may be interference from other electronics in the cabin. Try not to turn on simultaneously with our device other devices that operate in the frequency range 2.2-2.5 GHz (wireless networks);
- If the rear view camera works, but is buggy when transferring the image to the monitor, the solution will depend on the type of problem:
- The flashed picture. The sun is shining into the lens and the image is too bright. This factor, as you understand, cannot be corrected. Unless, look for another parking location;
- Cloudy or foggy image. If the camera stops showing clearly, then dirt, dust, or moisture has entered the eyepiece. The gadget is carefully dismantled, disassembled and cleaned (dried). Use soft rags, brushes, cotton pads. And for the future, you should think about buying protection against dirt and water for the camera;
- Mirror or inverted transmission. The gadget may have been incorrectly installed (upside down) or configured initially. First, try adjusting the settings in the car’s audio system. To turn off mirroring, you need to deactivate the MIR option, in order to change the orientation of the picture, adjust the FLP option. Sometimes the physical rotation of the eye 180 degrees helps to solve the problem.
- The camera shows a delay, blinks, or flickers a lot. The most common prerequisite is incorrect installation. Loose fixation will cause the instrument to vibrate when the engine is running. As a result, the image is rippled. Check that the device is securely attached to the car. Another explanation. damage to the integrity of the cables or poor insulation of the contacts. You will have to dismantle and fully check the electronic components of the device.
- When the rear view camera is turned on, a black, white or blue screen appears on the recorder. This is the most unpleasant case, the prerequisite for which is most likely a software failure. The gadget needs a new firmware (software). It is advisable to entrust the solution to this problem to the masters of the service center;
- The rear view camera is broken due to mechanical impact. Let’s say you dropped it, hit it, hit it. Alas, the repair of its components, most likely, will cost more than a new device.
- The rearview camera on the mirror stopped working normally (any manifestations that were not there before). blinks, turns off in the cold, does not turn on or turns on every other time, etc. Poor signal quality may be the culprit. The device will have to be dismantled, carefully disassembled, cleaned the contacts, removed dust from the microcircuit, cleaned the oxidized areas, re-soldered the damaged elements of the board (if they are detected visually), etc.
So, we have listed why the rear view camera on the radio may stop working. Some problems are solved by dismantling the device. Let’s see how to do it correctly:
- Disconnect the power cable;
- Unscrew the nuts securing the device to the car. If necessary, remove the casing or body parts;
- Wipe the outside of the device with a soft cloth, remove traces of rust and dust;
- Let’s carefully disassemble the case;
- Dry the components from moisture;
- Inspect the seals (rubber bands), if necessary, replace them;
- Check the integrity of the internal components of the device. payment, cleanliness of contacts, presence of oxidized areas. Remove dust with a brush, brush off corrosion;
- Replace damaged sectors by soldering (if you can)
- Assemble the gadget in reverse order and install it on the car.
The device now needs to be re-calibrated and configured. If, after all the manipulations, the rear view camera still turns off, does not work, dazzles or does not transmit a normal picture to the monitor, alas, you will have to contact the specialists. They will perform professional diagnostics and quality repairs, if the latter is possible.
Why does the rear view camera not work when reverse gear is engaged?
- Why does not it work
- Dismantling and disassembly
Many drivers become anxious when they notice that the rear view camera is not working. But if you take the right measures and start a system recovery, the problem can be fixed in a short time.
Why does not it work
When choosing a location for mounting a rear view camera, three options are considered:
- Trunk handle.
- Number illumination frame.
- Interior of the car.
According to statistics, many camera malfunctions are noticed when it is installed inside a car. This is due to the intense influence of environmental factors that cause an increase in moisture levels. Even in the cabin there are mechanical loads and other influences.
Any contact of the device with liquid leads not only to the failure of the system, but also to significant defects in the picture. Car owners often turn to a service center due to poor image quality or the appearance of spots on the screen. A similar problem is explained by the ingress of moisture on the lens of the device.
If the camera stops working, and the possibility of a power outage is not excluded. When self-installation of the system, mistakes are often made in its connection to the power source, which entail the refusal of the device to work.
Dismantling and disassembly
There are several options for the development of events if the rear view camera stopped working. The first involves contacting a car workshop or an official service center, the second. elimination of the problem by their own efforts. If the device was purchased recently, and its warranty service has NOT expired yet, it is advisable to take it to professional craftsmen. In the absence of a guarantee, it is much cheaper and easier to restore the system yourself.
Even an inexperienced driver can get rid of breakdowns and camera errors. To do this, you need to know the basic principles of the system, the specifics of breakdowns and dismantling. Most models are disassembled according to the following principles:
- If the device is NOT able to automatically start or does not work at all, you will have to dismantle the entire casing.
- The first step is to remove the small panel at the top where the fasteners are. They are removed to remove the main part of the skin. Under the skin layer there are nuts securing the trunk handle. Four self-tapping screws are used to mount the camera. Two are for the device itself, and two more. to fix the connector.
- If there are traces of corrosion on the radar surface, it is necessary to get rid of them, and only then proceeds to the next stage.
- Self-tapping screws are used to connect the body. When dismantling, you need to be careful, because They oxidize.
- If moisture gets under the case, you will have to dry it. To do this, it is enough to clean the surface with a brush and then cover it with varnish to protect it from moisture.
- Many chambers have two spacers. One of them is on the camera glasses, the second. at the joints between the plastic parts and the body. If the gaskets have been deformed, they will have to be replaced.
- The assembly of a working camera is carried out according to the reverse principle. Before that, you need to process the joints with a hermetic composition.
If malfunctions appear after installation, you should evaluate the reliability of the cable connection. The basic cable length is 3-5 meters. This means that it can be deformed or damaged during installation.
If the picture quality is lost when the reverse gear is turned on, it is possible that the power supply of the device was connected to the pulsating signal of the lampshades. To eliminate the defect, you need to align it, separate the capacitor from the device using a diode.
If the camera was connected using a video interface, and the picture shows poor quality, it is enough to revise the settings mode.
In case of visible distortion of the picture, one should look for a problem in the incompatibility of the standards of the multimedia system. If they DO NOT match, you need to choose another camera model or use a converter.
By adhering to these rules, you can avoid many problems in the operation of the rear view camera. If after following these steps the problem persists, you will need the help of a specialist.
But when choosing a master, it is better to give preference to proven auto repair shops, which are trusted by many buyers. Otherwise, the questionable installer will NOT solve the defect and will only make you waste time and money.
Sometimes the picture quality is lost after driving in rainy or snowy weather, visiting a car wash or changing the mode of the parking system. But not all drivers know how to adjust the device and check its functionality. When adjusting the camera, follow these instructions:
- To begin with, you should take a bar, 2 meters long, with sides of 2-3 cm.
- Then it must be placed at a distance of a meter from the center of the rear bumper, making sure that the edges of the structure protrude from the sides of the car.
- Then you should get into the vehicle and open the settings menu. You may need to carry out other manipulations, turning on and off the lights of the dimensions.
- Then you need to open the camera settings and select the model of your car. After activating the camera, it will remain Unscrew the steering wheel to the right and then to the left. such manipulations will allow you to adjust the camera. Then you should click on the item “next”, after which a rectangular outline will appear on the display.
- Use the “up”, “right”, “down” and “left” keys to position the outline in the desired part of the screen.
The listed recommendations allow you to quickly restore the system and get rid of poor picture quality, blurring and other defects. The subsequent start of the system will lead to the appearance of yellow lines on the screen, which will greatly facilitate the parking process.
Why the reversing camera does not work
The rear view camera stopped working. When you turn on the reverse gear, only the parking sensors beep. The radio does NOT switch to the rear view camera mode. Tell me where to dig? How does the radio know that reverse gear is on and you need to turn on the camera? I removed the plastic trim of the tailgate, checked the connector on the door. everything is ok there.
Reasons why the rear view camera does not work and troubleshooting instructions
If the rear view camera does not work, first of all, it is necessary to carry out a visual diagnosis of the device, and then make sure that there is power and the integrity of the wires. In the event of a breakdown due to poor contact or improper installation, the problem can be solved by yourself, reinstalling the gadget or replacing the electrician. If this does not help, the camera will have to be dismantled in order to repair or replace damaged elements, for example, a burned-out circuit board or swollen capacitors.
How to fix: removing the camera and repairing it yourself
If the rear view camera constantly or periodically does not work, the repair is carried out as follows:
- Before starting repairs, check the voltage supply to the device. After the user has connected the cable, a multimeter is taken and the power of the wire is checked. The red plug of the tester is inserted into the cable itself, and the black plug is connected to its metal part to provide ground. If the connection showed 12 volts of voltage, then power is supplied to the device, respectively, the camera is further dismantled.
- Disconnecting the power cable from the camera.
- With a screwdriver or a wrench, the trim is removed (it all depends on the design features of the car). First, the rear tailgate trim is removed, then the nuts securing the device are unscrewed. Usually, the camera is attached using two self-tapping screws, which are unscrewed with a screwdriver.
- Clean the camera with a clean, dry cloth. Rust traces on the surface of the device must be removed, oxidation from the power connector is also removed.
- Then the screws are unscrewed, which fix the component parts of the case. These elements are susceptible to oxidation, therefore, when unscrewing them, you must be careful.
- If moisture gets on the body, it is dried.
- In case of wear or damage, the seals are replaced. The devices use two rubber bands (gaskets). One of them is located on the lens of the gadget, the second. at the junction between the plastic elements and the body.
- The internal elements of the device are visually inspected. If swollen capacitors or other damaged elements are visible on the working board, they must be replaced by soldering. Before making repairs, clean and remove all traces of debris and dust.
- The camera is assembled in reverse order. To ensure high tightness, it is recommended to treat the joints with silicone.
How to fix a factory defect in a rear view camera
The channel “Purchased in China” in the video told about what to do if the rear view camera does not work
Rear view camera setup instructions
According to the instructions, the main task when setting up. adjusting the parking lines that the camera should show first.
- A standard block of wood is taken. It is desirable that the length of the product is 2 meters, and its width. 2-3 cm.
- The workpiece is placed at a distance of about 1 meter from the center of the rear bumper. It is important that the edges of the wooden beam extend beyond the sides of the vehicle by approximately the same distance.
- Then the driver gets into the cabin and enters the camera settings service menu. In some cars, you will have to perform additional actions, for example, activate and deactivate the side lights.
- The brand of the vehicle is selected.
- After turning on the device, the steering wheel is twisted: first all the way to the right, and then. to the left.
- The “Next” button is pressed, an automatic rectangular contour will appear on the device screen. The buttons are used to move the bar image to the center of the screen. Then the selected action should be confirmed.
In the absence of a wooden block, you can do this:
- We’ll have to use three points, which are measured from the top edge of the rear bumper. Each of the elements has a step of 10 cm, respectively, the first point. 10 cm, the second. 20 cm, third. 30 cm.
- For each point, you need to set the camera’s visibility range in 30 cm increments.
- In total, the first point has a range of 30 cm, the second. 60 cm, and the third. 90 cm.With this scale, you can correctly calculate the distance to the obstacle.
DIY car rear view camera repair and adjustment
If your rear view camera does not work in your car, this does not lead to despair. In most cases, the problem lies in small malfunctions, which you can easily fix yourself. What to do if the rear view camera does not work in the car and how to fix it, you will learn from the article.
Typical faults of the rear view camera
Most often, this device is located in the car in three places. This is either the trunk lock (handle), or the frame for the license plate light, or it can be installed in the cabin (in station wagon cars).
As practice shows, the cameras that are decided to be installed right in the cabin are the least affected by any problems. After all, they are NOT aggressively exposed to the environment. This effect is primarily understood as moisture entering the device.
The ingress of water into the device can lead not only to its complete failure to work. Image defects may occur. Often, car owners complain that the camera does not show the image or the picture looks blurry. Most likely, the prerequisite for this is precisely the ingress of moisture into the rear view camera.
How to troubleshoot and dismantle the device
Every car owner has two ways to repair a rear view camera. The first and the simplest one. give it to be repaired. You can contact your service center of the manufacturer. If the machine is still under warranty service, then this must be done. Self repair leave you warranty.
Main board and contacts
But often it will be cheaper and easier to carry out simple repairs yourself. If the rear view camera stops working or there is a malfunction, you can try to repair.
The instruction will be given on the example of KIA cars.
- If the rear view camera does not turn on automatically or at all, in order to remove it, you need to dismantle the entire trim.
- To do this, first remove a small panel in the upper part, under which the bolts are hidden. Remove them to remove most of the cladding.
- Under it you will find four nuts, which secure the trunk handle. The camera itself is fixed with two self-tapping screws, two more fix its connector.
- You may encounter traces of corrosion. First remove it, and then you can disassemble the device.
- The body is pulled together with four self-tapping screws. Be careful when disassembling the device. they can oxidize.
- If there is moisture inside the chamber, it will need to be dried. Brush and then varnish the boards to protect them from moisture.
- There are usually two spacers in the chamber. One is placed on the camera goggles, and the other is located at the interface between the plastic parts of the camera and the metal body. Both could become unusable after a certain period of time. Replace them if necessary.
- Assemble the camera back in the reverse order, having previously treated all joints with a sealant. Better to use butyl rubber.
Instructions for adjusting the device with your own hands
When you have installed the camera, it works fine, the clouding has disappeared, it is important to correctly adjust it. But not all car owners know how to do this. Because of this, they cannot do everything with their own hands and check the operation of the device.
The main task. this is to set up parking lines. This included mode makes parking a lot easier.
- Take a regular wooden block, 2 meters long. Its sides should be 2-3 centimeters.
- Place it about a meter from the center of the rear bumper. The edges of the block should protrude from the sides of the car at approximately the same distance.
- Then, get into the car and go to the service menu. Additional steps may be required, such as turning the side lights on and off several times.
- After that, you will need to go to the camera settings and select the car brand.
- When the rear view camera is activated, you will need to return the steering wheel first to the right until it stops, and then to the left. this is done to adjust it. Then click “next”. A rectangular outline appears on the screen.
- Using the up, right, down and left keys, you will need to place it so that the bar is exactly in the center. Then click on confirm.
This, in fact, is all the steps that you need to perform to configure devices. Now, when you turn it on, yellow lines will start to appear to facilitate parking. Remember that any subsequent disassembly may require subsequent reconfiguration of the device.