LG TV does not turn on: causes, diagnosis and elimination
By clicking on the button “Request a call back” you confirm your age and agree to the processing of personal data in accordance with the terms.
often than not, the TV won’t turn on due to power problems. The old power connector may burn out or be damaged, then we will replace it with a new one. Or there may be a problem with the power supply. In case of maintainability, we can restore it to work, or change it to a new one.
Why LG TV won’t turn on?
For LG Plasma, LED and LCD TVs, the malfunction may appear as follows:
- The TV does not turn on, but the indicator is on.
- The TV does not start, but the light is flashing red.
- When you turn on the TV, extraneous sounds occur: whistling, hum, clicks.
- The TV does not turn on and the indicator is off.
- The TV does not start, freezes on the splash screen (the LG logo lights up and nothing happens)
There are many reasons why the TV does not turn on. They can be divided into three main categories. These are system failures due to a malfunction of software or applications, peripheral problems that arise due to improper operation of devices connected to the TV, as well as hardware failures associated with defective TV elements.
Usually, troubleshooting starts with external devices connected to the TV. You can also see the settings, damage to the cables. Only after that they begin to diagnose internal elements: matrices, boards, etc. It is better if specialists are involved in testing.
LG TV does not turn on, indicator flashes
If the TV does not turn on, but the indicator blinks at regular intervals or chaotically, the monitor mode may be turned on, there are problems with the receiver or antenna, due to which there is no signal, hardware breakdowns.
Why is my LG TV not working yet??
The TV may not turn on for other reasons: not only those listed above. These include:
- Heat near the video adapter. If the device was operating “at its limit” and overheated, the fuse could have blown. Because of this, the TV receiver will not turn on for a while. You need to wait a bit. The malfunction occurs mainly when a TV with a low resolution is trying to play films or broadcasts in Ultra-HD or 4K formats.
- Broken motherboard. This is a serious breakdown that requires a professional approach. The fact that the board is out of order may be indicated by the smell of burning from the TV case. The breakage can be eliminated only by replacement.
- Capacitor defective. The capacitor may crack or swell due to the high resistance of the contact material. It is changed to a new one. You also need to establish what caused the resistance level to rise. due to voltage drops or due to moisture ingress on the board.
LG TV won’t turn on: causes and remedies
LG is a popular manufacturer of household appliances. The brand produces reliable, high-quality and functional TVs. But, unfortunately, even the highest quality equipment fails over time.
It often happens that the LG TV does not turn on. Why is this happening? Malfunctions can be associated with a large number of problems, which we will talk about further.
Time negatively affects boards, transistors, capacitors, fuses and other spare parts for a TV-set. To concretize the cause of the malfunction, the device should be disassembled.
Important! When you suspect a technical malfunction of the TV, it is recommended to contact an LG service center.
Remote control malfunction
If the remote control does not work, you can use a special application for smartphones and tablets instead, which turns the device into a full-fledged remote control. For example, you can use the free TV-Remote utility, which should be downloaded from the AppStore or Google Play. As a solution to the problem. replacing the batteries or the battery in the remote control, which does not work. this can also help.
Failure to comply with operating conditions
Failure to follow the rules of operation often leads to equipment malfunctions. Before connecting the TV and starting to use it, it is important to study the manual for its operation.
The most frequent breakdown of a TV set through the fault of the user is mechanical damage to the screen, due to which it is necessary to replace the matrix and backlight.
Wrong source selected
The main reason for the display to stop working may be the standby mode, which does not turn off the device. In this case, the TV works, only its work does not manifest itself in any way. This problem can be easily eliminated by using the remote control and switching the mode by pressing the “Standby” key.
This option does not block the power adapter, leaves the screen always in a ready state.
Attention! The constant presence of the monitor in a ready state is reflected negatively on its performance indicators. Abuse of this condition makes the device very vulnerable to power surges.
Another reason that the TV is silent and does not turn on is the wrong source. If the user previously activated AV or HDMI, then in order to watch TV broadcasting, you need to switch the source using the remote control. This is often observed after connecting the TV to a laptop.
The power indicator has gone out
It happens that the device cannot turn on at all, the light does not light up, there is no TV reaction to the remote control and the buttons on the front panel of the device. It is likely that the electricity has disappeared.
Important! It may happen that the indicator burns out, but then the TV should still turn on.
Based on the facts that the light does not light up and the TV does not turn on, we conclude that there is a problem with the supply of electricity.
A power outage occurs in several situations:
- there is no electricity anywhere in the house;
- knocked out a machine gun in the dashboard;
- the socket where the plug of the cord from the television device is connected is broken;
- the extension cord was damaged if the TV device is connected through it to the outlet;
- having problems with the wiring.
The first thing to do first is to check if the outlet and extension cord are working properly. It is also necessary to look at the flap, change the position of the toggle switches.
If the previous action did not help, then you should look for the cause of the problem in the broken outlet. To do this, it is recommended to simply plug the TV plug into another outlet.
When it is not working, there is no electricity. Call an electrician to fix the wiring problem.
When the TV model is a CRT, then the reasons for its breakdown are a blown fuse. A blown fuse can be replaced with a new one.
The most common reason for the inability to turn on a TV device is a breakdown of a TV device of more modern models (for example, a breakdown of a microcircuit, a power adapter or a capacitor).
All equipment in the complex should be diagnosed. Having decided on a part that does not work correctly, you just need to replace it. After replacing a broken part, the TV set should, in theory, turn on.
Why the LG TV does not turn on and the light is on
LG is one of the popular TVs, but not always the brand and the price save the user of the device from breakdowns and malfunctions. There are many reasons for TV failure, but you should not panic. The first thing to do if a breakdown occurs is to establish its cause. In order not to ask the master for help, you can look for the problem yourself. Everyone will be able to diagnose the TV. you just need to know in what cases the LG TV does not turn on when the LG TV backlight does not work. The following recommendations can help to deal with the problem.
Problems with firmware
TV devices supported by LG webOS may fail if there is a failure in the firmware. As a result of the next update of the operating system, if it was unsuccessful, a situation may occur with a repeated reboot of the device. It can be fixed by manually updating the firmware from a USB stick. This can be done by any user who has read the instructions for the TV.
Situations when Smart TV does not work on the webOS platform are somewhat different from the previous ones. These models malfunction due to operating system problems. In order to avoid such cases, it is recommended to update the operating system in time.
Important! An incorrect device update is eliminated by downloading the firmware installation files to a USB flash drive, and from it the TV-device OS is updated.
Matrix and backlight burned out
If the TV has problems with the LCD matrix or LED backlight, then this is noticeable by the fact that there is a sharp deterioration in the image quality, its darkening.
The main signs of a broken backlight and matrix are:
- lack of a picture, but the presence of sound;
- the appearance of black and white or colored stripes on the monitor;
- beating pixels, ripples;
- LG logo does not appear when turning on the device.
Important! When you illuminate the screen with a flashlight, you can see the image on it, you do not need to look for other problems. this is a burned-out backlight.
You can check the backlight if the TV is practically disassembled into parts.
- ability to check the parameters of chain sections;
- know the basic values of the operating voltage of semiconductor crystals;
- show accuracy, dexterity and skills in soldering with an air dryer.
In the absence of the necessary knowledge and skills, it is better not to start an independent repair.
In a situation where the backlight of the LG TV does not work, the cost of repair will be significant, it is recommended to contact the seller of the device and request warranty repair.
How to Fix Your LG Smart TV That Won’t Turn On. Black Screen Problem
The breakdown of complex electronic equipment is always expensive. the cost of repairing plasma or LCD screens is often unprofitable for the owner. When your LG TV won’t turn on, don’t immediately suspect the worst. Most likely, the causes of problems are elementary errors or accidents, which are quite easy to eliminate.
- Lack of power supply. If no power is supplied to the TV, it will not work. An indirect confirmation of the problem can be a complete lack of indication on the case, lack of reaction to the remote control signals. It is worth checking if the button on the surge protector is not turned off, if the connection is made through it, make sure that there is a plug in the outlet.
- The mode is selected incorrectly. In the case of switching to Sleep Mode, the screen goes out, but the device itself continues to function as usual, only without external manifestations. You can make sure that this is the case by pressing the Standby button on the remote control. the TV will not respond to other commands. Only when changing modes will the device be ready for use again. Do not use the “sleep” function too often, in this state the equipment is more vulnerable to short circuits and other network failures.
- Wrong signal source. Sometimes the TV itself is turned on, but it is impossible to watch live TV or other content on it. Checking the signal source is usually enough to fix the problem. Instead of TV, there can be HDMI, AV. You just need to go to the correct mode.
- Protection against unauthorized access is activated. In this case, the TV cannot be controlled from the buttons built into its body. But from the remote control, all functions will work. The option is positioned as “child protection”. they will not be able to turn on the equipment themselves.
- Lost brightness settings. If, by setting this parameter, the user has chosen the minimum values, the screen will remain black. In this case, you need to perform the adjustment and return to normal brightness values.
A detailed study of the manual supplied with the TV is usually enough to fix most user errors: it lists many common problems.
Why LG TV won’t turn on and what to do?
When the LG TV does not turn on, its owners immediately set themselves up for expensive repairs and related expenses. The reasons why the indicator flashes before switching on and the red light is on, there is no signal at all, can be different. from user errors to technical failures. What to do, how to troubleshoot if the TV does not want to turn on. these issues should be dealt with in more detail.
Among the technical faults, due to which the TV does not respond to the switch-on command, fuse breaks are most often detected. They are designed to protect expensive equipment from voltage surges and, for obvious reasons, can burn out. If this happens, the TV turns off, does not respond to commands from the remote control and buttons for a long time, you need to contact the service center specialists for a more accurate diagnosis.
The reasons why LG TV equipment does not turn on may lie in other technical malfunctions.
- Damage to the power supply. It is located inside the case, in case of failure, it can give such symptoms as a long screen load, extraneous sounds (clicks, whistles), an intermittent indicator signal. it blinks, the contact is unstable. A breakdown can be associated with overheating, overload, power supply burnout. And also after a strong voltage drop, a thunderstorm, a protective blocking against a short circuit may work.
- Software glitch. If an error is found in the firmware or the user himself has violated the correct algorithm, the TV goes into an eternal reboot mode, does not respond to other commands. This sometimes happens when updating the TV system to webOS. If this happens, you need to download the correct version to an external data storage source and install the update from it manually.
- Malfunction in the backlight or matrix. At the same time, the logo does not appear on the screen when loading, there are stripes or light spots on the dark panel, cracks appeared on the glass. Sometimes there is sound, but the picture is not broadcast.
- The remote control does not work. In this case, the indicator on the body flashes in a regular manner, the buttons on the TV itself turn on and switch functions. Commands do not pass from remote control.
- Unstable voltage. In this case, the indicator glows red, flashes intermittently (in normal mode, this happens before the image on the screen turns on). The power system of the TV signals a weak current in the network, it is not enough to display the picture.
LG TV does not turn on indicator flashes
LG TV does not turn on, light is flashing
Is your LG TV not turning on with the indicator blinking? First you need to understand the nature of the indication.
If the indicator flashes in response to remote control signals. this is a normal reaction, and if there is no turn-on and no image is observed, then most likely the inverter has failed or the TV does not have enough power to turn on and the problem is in the power supply (external or internal) or in the power board. With such symptoms, you need to contact a trusted service center.
But before calling the repairmen, just in case, you need to check the TV settings, because the likelihood of what you call “non-inclusion” is a banal absence of an image due to an incorrectly selected video output channel. non-zero, we often meet 100% serviceable equipment in our service center. Example, the signal goes through the antenna, and on the remote control you have selected the HDMI port to output the image, to which nothing is connected. To clear your conscience. press the TV / AV and SOURCE buttons.
If you are experiencing problems connecting the TV to your computer. first try changing the resolution on your computer. What you have installed now may not be supported by your TV.
If we “figured out the terms” and are really talking about non-inclusion, and not about the absence of an image, then we return to the blinking indicator light.
LG TV does not turn on light is blinking
Take a closer look at exactly how it blinks. Modern technology is often equipped with a self-diagnosis function. If your TV was purchased in the last 5-8 years, it probably carries this functionality.
Count how many times the light blinks in one cycle. After that, find the instructions for your TV, in the table of contents find the section with problems. This section will present a number of malfunctions and the corresponding signal that the TV communicates with its indicator light.
If the malfunction is technical, not system (software). only an experienced master can accurately diagnose and repair TV.
You can try to fix a malfunction of a systemic nature yourself if your TV has a forced reboot function. In principle, it is implemented in the same way on TVs of many brands. you need to pull out absolutely everything (this is important) wires and cords from the TV, pulling out the power cord last and leaving the TV alone for 5-7 minutes. After that, plug the TV back into the outlet, first the power cord, and then all the peripheral wires. In some cases, such an algorithm of actions completely restores the operation of the device.
If you cannot cope with the problem that has arisen (which is absolutely normal if you do not repair TVs and you do not have a small, cozy, but very well equipped workshop with measuring and diagnostic equipment). you better call us, we are all right with that. As with everything else. terms, prices, conditions, warranty and many years of experience;)
LG TV does not turn on indicator flashes. Why, when you turn on Alji’s TV, the red light blinks several times and the screen does not work
LG TV does not turn on, the lamp blinks several times and turns off. I recently encountered such a problem. Less than 2 years after the purchase, my Algie TV stopped turning on, the screen does not work except for the flashing of the indicator. At night, the telly worked fine, but in the morning I didn’t want to turn on, just the red diode blinked 3 times and that’s it.
As I heard, the TV performs self-diagnostics and, if problems are detected, it may simply not turn on, but it outputs a certain signal by flashing the red diode, allowing you to find out the cause. I called LG support at a toll-free number and asked for a decryption of such a blinking light bulb, to which I was told that they did not give such information to ordinary users and offered to contact the official LG service center.
But since the warranty for the TV has already expired and there is no LG service center where I live, I had to carry the TV for repair to an ordinary TV master. Honestly, I did not expect that the master would so quickly determine the cause of the breakdown of the TV, but he had enough information from me about the flashing of the diode several times when the LG TV was turned on, as he immediately gave out the cause of the breakdown. His answer was as follows. the LEDs of the TV backlight burned out and it is necessary to replace it and showed another disassembled same LG but with a larger screen diagonal in which the same problem.
Why the backlight on LG TVs burns out, I’ll write a little below. At first I thought that I had a lot of money and warned that if the repair costs a lot of money, then it is not worth doing it, but the master said that the replacement work would cost 1000 rubles, replacing each backlight element for 200 rubles. As a result, the entire repair with the replacement of 5 backlight elements cost 2,000 rubles. There are a lot of such elements on the TV, but only 5 of them burned out on mine. Perhaps the price for the work and the cost of the backlight LEDs themselves in your city may be more or less.
As I noticed, after changing the brightness of the backlight, the picture on the screen did not get worse, but your TV backlight will last longer.
The article was posted on May 11, 2018. Edited 19.04.
Reviews LG TV does not turn on
UPDATE REVIEW PAGE Author: JURIJ 04-12-2020 15 hours 14 minutes Message: Please don’t be fooled. Blinking 3 times of the indicator is for many (I can not vouch for all) LG TVs. This is a normal TV turn-on and not an indication of an error. Author: UMID 20-10-2020 07 hours 58 min Message: LG 32ln541u indicator light is on when turned on, the LG logo opens and immediately turns off and the indicator lights up. what to do? Author: Mikhail 25-11-2019 10 hours 33 min Message: Yesterday I took the TV for the same symptoms, by flashing the indicator, in the workshop they suggested replacing all LEDs with improved strips with a guarantee for a year and a question price of 6 thousand rubles. Author: Artyom 28-11-2018 18 hours 08 min Message: Thank you very much. And today I had the same symptoms: it froze, then I turned off the TV set, and did not turn on. the red indicator blinks three times. sadness. Is it realistic to identify and replace the backlight yourself? I have never repaired telly. Author: Sergey Vladimirovich 17-09-2018 22 hours 05 minutes Message: Many thanks to the author for the article. helped. And it was already sinning on the power supply, it turned out. backlight (replaced 4 LEDs. To Viktor Borisovich: spots on the screen. because the reflectors are incorrectly installed after replacing the LEDs. is treated. Author: Tim 02-09-2018 22 hours 51 min Message: Bring the telly back where the repairs were done, most likely the LEDs were poorly fixed and they moved away from their nests and individual points of light on the screen became visible. Author: Victor Borisovich 01-09-2018 15 hours 40 minutes Message: After repair with replacement of the backlight, I now see white bright spots on the TV screen about 5 pieces on my TV. The screen itself works and everything shows only bright points of light that interfere with the eyes, now I don’t know if the backlight burned out again, but if it burned out, the TV would not show how it was when I took it to the repair. Has anyone encountered such a problem or needs to be carried back for repair?
LG TV does not turn on, indicator blinks in red
LG TVs stand out for their advanced matrices and high functionality. Unsurprisingly, the majority of users purchase products from this brand. But sometimes there are complaints that the LG TV does not turn on, the light is red. Various breakdowns can cause this problem. In the future, we will consider all of them, note which ones can be eliminated on their own, and in which situations you cannot do without the help of a master.
If, when starting the TV, various specific sounds, clicks are clearly audible, the display does not turn on for a long time, then:
- overheating of certain components has occurred;
- an overload of the power supply has occurred;
- the power supply is completely broken.
LG Smart TV won’t turn on Fix it Now
a safety lock has been triggered, this can happen during a thunderstorm.
The fuse could well have blown. over, such a breakdown is typical of all LG TVs.
Quite often, a breakdown occurs after a severe thunderstorm, since it is during this period that strong voltage surges are observed. As a result, a safety interlock is triggered, which prevents serious damage to the microcircuits. Only specialists can repair the TV.
The indicator is on, but the TV does not start
Quite often, users wonder why the LG TV does not turn on, although the indicator is on. This happens when the device is in standby mode, it must be turned on. For these purposes, we use the control panel or press the button on the device itself.
If the TV continues to ignore the commands, and the control panel is in a completely healthy state, then the breakdown is associated with the power system:
An example of swollen capacitors
This is what the fuse looks like
In such a situation, the power supply may indicate that energy is being supplied, but there is not enough energy to start the device. In this case, you need to contact the service center, unless of course you have the knowledge for self-repair.
It does not matter plasma or CRT TV, breakdown can manifest itself only in the following ways:
- the screen will not light up although the indicator is on or flashing as usual;
- the indicator, when turned on, immediately lights up and goes out;
- after launch, clicks appear, unusual sounds.
You need to search for a malfunction in stages. First of all, we inspect all external elements, and only then the internal details. We start with the remote control, which often breaks, and the power cable. If you have the skills, you can open the TV and inspect the interior. If no damage is visually visible, then the diagnosis should be carried out by specialists.
No indication at all
If the TV is connected to the mains, but does not show signs of life, most likely it will need to be taken for repair. However, beforehand, pay attention to the following factors:
- Power button. All models are equipped with a power button. It is located near or close to the power indicator. To turn on the TV, just press it. After that, the indicator should start to glow red or green, and the device itself will respond to commands from the control panel.
- Sleep Mode: LG cares about its customers by making its devices as efficient as possible. Therefore, the latest models have a power saving mode. It activates automatically after a few minutes of inactivity. Sleep mode is also triggered if an inactive AV / HDMI / TV connector is running.
- Power supply voltage Check the power outlet to which the device is connected. Connect another electrical device to it or use a screwdriver indicator. If special protective devices against voltage surges or extension cords are used, be sure to check their functionality. over, you need to check not only the devices themselves, but also the wires.
If all these actions did not give a result, then the TV requires professional diagnostics. It is possible that the power supply has failed or the motherboard has broken.
LG TV won’t turn on reasons
LG is one of the most popular manufacturers of home appliances, but even the most expensive and functional devices of the South Korean company can stop working over time. There are many reasons for the failure of a TV, but you should not panic, because in case of a breakdown, the first thing you need to do is to establish its origin. Everyone will be able to carry out the initial diagnostics of the device. you just need to know under what circumstances, in principle, the LG TV does not turn on. This article will help you understand this problem.
The presence of extraneous sounds when turned on
If at the start of the TV you hear a specific click, buzz somewhere inside the device, the equipment does not start the first time or “thinks” for a long time before starting, then:
- overheating of several radio components has occurred;
- there was an overload of the power supply;
- PSU burned out;
- the protective blocking of the power supply system has been activated, for example, after a thunderstorm or a strong voltage drop.
To avoid additional problems with microcircuits, a protective lock is triggered, which does not allow turning on the device. it is the lock that emits characteristic clicks. Here you will need the help of specialists who will be able to disassemble the body of the telly, disable the lock, as well as conduct a thorough diagnosis and eliminate the main cause of the malfunction.
The services of the wizard will be needed if one of the microcircuits of the power supply unit burns out, the capacitor swells (in this case, you will hear a whistle and hum) or the resistor on the board burns out. Doing self-repair with such malfunctions is strictly prohibited.
The firmware has flown
Separately, it must be said about devices with support for LG webOS, which can break due to a failure in the firmware. An unsuccessful update of the operating system will result in an endless reboot, which is eliminated by manually updating the firmware from a USB flash drive. Any person can do this operation, the main thing is to familiarize yourself with the factory instructions for the TV set and, if possible, with the opinions of more experienced users.
Some types of malfunctions can be eliminated without the assistance of a service technician. The following are the main problems, an independent solution of which is within the power of even a user who is far from repairing electrical equipment:
- “Protection against unauthorized access” mode. Perhaps you have accidentally activated the so-called “child protection”, which prevents the TV from being controlled from the built-in panel. In such a situation, use a remote control whose signal is not blocked by this function. After successfully starting the TV, remember to turn off the protection mode.
- Broken remote control. If the remote control is inoperative, you can use a special application for your smartphone and tablet, which turns your smartphone into a full-fledged remote control. Here, an example is the free TV-Remote utility from the AppStore and Google Play. It will also be useful to try to simply replace the batteries or accumulators in the faulty “remote control”.
- Socket. An unlit TV indicator means that the device is not connected to the power supply. We strongly do not recommend repairing the outlet on your own, but any user can handle connecting the TV to another energy source.
The indicator turns green, but nothing happens
The situation is ambiguous and can have many reasons for this behavior. In order to make sure that the main board is working, the supply voltages are measured and the commands to turn on the power, backlight, etc. are examined. Perhaps, when you switch the TV to a channel with a tuned program, a sound will appear, and this already suggests that the cause of the malfunction most likely lies in the inverter or power supply unit with LED backlighting or in radiation sources.
If the LED (light bulb) indicates the operating state, but the power-on commands are not received from the motherboard, the system does not respond to the buttons and the remote control, the software of the memory devices on the main board may fail. There are situations when the processor issues a command to turn on the power supply, but does not start the inverter, or issues a Dimm command that determines the brightness of the backlight, in the absence of an On / Off command. In this case, updating the software, firmware helps to return the normal sequence to the logical processes occurring on the motherboard.
In some cases, the appearance that nothing happens when turned on can be created by the motherboard, blocking the supply of signals to the matrix controller or transmitting such information in which the screen remains dark. The T-con itself may be faulty, as well as the LCD matrix itself. Each option is considered and diagnosed separately. At the same time, the backlight turns on, but has a weakly pronounced character due to the underestimated image brightness.