Switching your iPhone to modem mode
Let’s try to use iPhone 5s as an example. First of all you need to enable data transfer. You can do it in the settings. There you will see the item Modem Mode. It is necessary to go to it and activate.
But it may happen that the item Modem mode in the settings is inactive (grayed out) or even absent. In this case, you need to select in the settings item Cellular communication and enable data transfer (Cellular data).
It is possible to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi, USB or Bluetooth. And you can create several connections at the same time. For example, to connect iPad via Wi-Fi, and to connect a desktop computer that does not have wireless modules via USB.
When choosing how exactly to distribute the Internet from iPhone to computer, do not forget about the data transfer speed. Wi-Fi provides sufficient speed for both comfortable seing and downloading files. The data transfer speed of USB depends on the version. 2.0, which the 4s, 4s, 5 and 6 work with, is much slower than Wi-Fi. And here USB 3.0 и 4.0 demonstrate a solid speed. Bluetooth of any of the existing versions is inferior to them by 2 orders of magnitude.
Note that the speed is determined by the slowest of the devices in the pair. So if you are using an iPhone 4s with USB 2.0 and a state-of-the-art laptop with USB 4.0, the data transfer speed in this bundle will still not exceed 480 Mbit/s.
Cellular data transfer is an energy-intensive operation. The phone battery will run out very quickly, so it makes sense to charge the phone immediately after turning on the modem mode.
What you need to know?
Before you turn on the Internet distribution on the iPhone, it is necessary to consider some nuances.
- What kind of data plan is connected. Often, your internet traffic is limited, and you run the risk of using it up.
- What is the coverage area used. This will determine the speed of internet. If 4G (LTE) works, there will be no interruptions. There may be more problems with 3G, with Edge connection you can not count on internet.
- Battery charge. When giving out Wi-Fi the battery drains quickly, so it is better not to use the phone as a modem for a long time without connecting to the network.
Usually, after installing a SIM card, the cellular operator automatically sends the network access parameters in the form of SMS. Without them it is impossible to share the Internet and even log in with your smartphone. How to make an access point on your smartphone manually?
After the operator has sent the parameters of MMS and the Internet, you just need to press the button “set the configuration” or something like that.
It happens that the configuration is not loaded in the iPhone. In this case you need to specify the access yourself.
Step-by-step instructions for setting up internet sharing from iPhone
Depending on second device, which needs access to network, step-by-step process can be different.
How to share wifi with iPhone using Windows 10 as an example:
- Connecting your gadget to the mobile Internet in Cellular Connectivity. Activate the Cellular Data and Enable 3G options.
- In the main settings, go to Modem mode, turn it on. Set a password.
- On computer click on Wi-Fi icon in the corner of screen. Select the wireless network created by the iPhone. Connect.
- Check the box next to Connect automatically. Enter a security key that was specified in the phone. Next.
- Message: Connected, secured. says that operation is successful.
Downloading on PC
All modern laptops are equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter. But some computers, particularly desktop ones, may not have the necessary equipment. To connect to the distribution of such a device, you need to have a USB cord:
- Set up Modem Mode on the phone.
- Disconnect from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- In the window that appears, select USB Only.
- Connect the devices via wire. On the screen will appear a blue bar and an inscription with the number of connections.
- Press Yes when asked if you want to trust this PC.
- In the Network Connections section of the computer, a new bar with the name of your smartphone will appear.
- Test internet on your computer.
Before sharing Wi-Fi from iPhone to PC this way, the iTunes utility is installed on the desktop device.
Instant Hotspot technology allows you to connect your gadgets to the internet without a password
From your phone via Bluetooth
- Turn on modem mode on your smartphone.
- Test Bluetooth on your PC or laptop. Update outdated drivers.
- On PC open Control Panel. In the Devices tab, select Bluetooth. Click on one of the devices available for communication. Link.
- Confirm the connection message on 2 devices.
- On the smartphone specify Bluetooth as the main connection option.
- On your computer, click on the bluetooth icon and then on Show all Bluetooth devices. Select iPhone in the Connect through and Access point menu. Ok.
From iPhone to Android
You can share megabytes with Android in any of the following ways. If the connection fails, you need to check the balance, and also if there are no limitations from the current operator.
Difficulties in connection can also be caused by
- Remote smartphone being the access point.
- Enabled Air Mode. then the Wi-Fi sign will be highlighted in gray.
- Generally low Internet speed, which is insufficient for several devices.
- Unfavorable weather conditions, particularly high humidity and formation of condensation inside the devices.
The iPhone disconnects the modem mode, what is the error, what to do?
The possibility of using the phone as a modem is an old story, but very handy. It gives the opportunity not to buy additional devices for reconnecting the SIM-card. Remember, how it was required to have a special modem with 3G/LTE connection technology? But over the years, the modem integrated into the smartphone gives permanent errors or malfunctions, with which it is sometimes useless to fight. One of such problems is the sudden disconnection of the modem.
How to set the phone to give out
Before you can share Wi-Fi with the iPhone 7 or any other series of devices, you must enable the modem function in the settings. To do this, take these steps:
There are situations when your phone has no modem mode. In this case, you need to know how to turn on the iPhone WI-FI distribution. Algorithm of actions:
- Enter the information in the cellular data and modem mode sections. It is required to specify APN, user name and password. You can ascertain these data from your provider. For example, for MTS in all cases the network name is prescribed.
In the last step, reboot your device. If the work is done correctly, you can give out Wi-Fi from iPhone 4s and 4 (also relevant for other versions) after turning on the modem mode and wireless network. If the connection is successful, you can see the number of devices using the new profile.
On a device in modem mode, go to “Settings”, “Modem Mode” and follow the steps below:
- Verify that “Allow Others” is turned on.
- Memorize the name and password of the Wi-Fi network created by the device, which you will see on this screen. If you want to change the name of the Wi-Fi network, learn how to change the device name.
- If you have an iPhone 12 or later, turn on the “Maximum Compatibility” option. Then try to reconnect the devices to the device in modem mode.
- Stay on this screen until another device connects to the Wi-Fi network.
On the device that you want to connect to the device in modem mode, do the following steps:
- Turn Wi-Fi off and on again.
- Ensure that you connect to the correct Wi-Fi network. The name of the network is the same as that of your iOS device in modem mode, and you may see a modem mode icon next to it.
- If an incorrect password is displayed when trying to connect via “Modem mode”, check the Wi-Fi network password. To do this on the device, working in modem mode, go to “Settings” “Modem mode.
How To FIX iPhone Wifi Not Working!
Modem mode on iPhone and iPad. How to share the Internet with your iPhone via Wi-Fi, USB and Bluetooth
It is not uncommon to have a situation where you need to distribute the Internet from your iPhone, or iPad. And there is such a possibility. Called modem mode, it allows you to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi, USB cable and Bluetooth. In modem mode, our iPhone or iPad becomes an access point and acts as a Wi-Fi router.
This works as follows: turn on the mobile network on the iPhone (if necessary, then select 3G, or LTE). Then we turn on the modem mode, and the phone starts broadcasting Wi-Fi network, to which you can connect other devices, and they will receive the Internet from the iPhone. You can also give out a Bluetooth connection (not a very popular way). or cable (useful for desktop computers that do not have a Wi-Fi receiver).
It’s very easy to set up. I have tested all three methods, and now I will show you in detail how to start distributing Internet from iPhone. I tested it on my iPhone 6. But, this method will work for all iPhone models: 5, 5S, 6S, etc. д. Similarly, modem mode will work on iPad if you have the 4G version and a SIM card inserted.
Please note that the devices that will connect to the network you have created will use mobile internet. So if you have a non-unlimited data plan, you will run out of data very quickly. Or there will be additional charges, depending on your data plan.
And when the iPhone gives out the Internet to everyone, of course it runs out of battery very quickly. Therefore, it is better to put it on charge.
The most popular way, of course, is to create a Wi-Fi access point. When you can share the Internet, and connect different devices via Wi-Fi network. Other phones, tablets, laptops, etc. д. Therefore, this is the way we will consider first.
|Processor (CPU)||Apple A7 1300 MHz (2-core)|
|Graphics processing unit (GPU)||PowerVR SGX 6 series|
|OS (operating system)||Apple iOS 7|
|Built-in memory||16. 64GB|
|Screen||4″ Retina Display 326 ppi (pixels per inch) IPS|
|Main camera||8 Megapixel Quad HD (2560 x 1440) Full HD (1920 x 1080) HD (1280 x 720)|
|Front camera||1.2 megapixels|
|SIM card||Nano-SIM (4FF, 12.3 x 8.8 x 0.67 mm)|
|Cellular generation||4G (100Mbps. 1 Gbps)|
|Built-in Wi-Fi||802.11 a|
|USB||2.0 (up to 480 Mbps)|
|Bluetooth||Built-in Bluetooth adapter|
|Security||Fingerprint scanner Remote phone lock Remote phone search Remote wipe phone data Installed VPN|
|Dimensions (mm)||112 г, 123.8×58.6×7.6 mm|
It is worth paying attention to the fact that wi-fi with iPhone is available only if you use in it the network traffic is not distributed by another wi-fi device, for example, a router. His smartphone will receive from the communications provider, namely the phone operator. In ideal conditions, the provider should supply Internet traffic with 4G coverage.
At the same time, it is important to pay attention to another important detail. the conditions of the tariff plan. Only a tariff plan with unlimited Internet traffic can be considered optimal, since many operators charge exorbitant for a certain number of megabytes used. The following follows from this:
- Do not use the iPhone as a full-fledged router.
- It is best not to use this method to watch streaming video in high definition.
- It is not recommended to distribute wi-fi to multiple third-party devices connected in parallel.
This can affect not only your budget, but also the iPhone 5S itself. All because the built-in modem will use the available resources of the system, not only software, but also hardware, and therefore the device can significantly consume the built-in battery and at the same time overheat. Knowing this, the developers have hidden this feature in future models, but it can be unlocked and used in exceptional situations, for example:
- When you need to get a connection on another device (computer, laptop, tablet) that does not have the ability to communicate through other channels.
- If there is no connection via wired data channels (in the village, outside of civilization, in case of a centralized power outage)
- In Other Critical Situations.