How to install the DVR yourself
Let’s consider how to install the DVR yourself. Since some devices are powered by the cigarette lighter, they accordingly have a power cord. After installation, there should be no wires hanging in the middle of the windshield. Therefore, install the recorder in the car so as not to obstruct the driver’s view and not distract him from the road.
For this purpose, it is recommended to pass the wires through the ceiling and side panels of the machine, slightly pushing it back. Since the models and brands of cars are different, it is somewhat difficult to talk about the correctness of moving the panel.
Another method of securing the cord is with plastic fasteners. They, unlike the first method, are not so hidden, but they also work well. Fasteners are installed directly on the glass or on a panel under the very ceiling and a wire is pulled through them.
Consider the options for connecting a DVR. Owners route the wire through the glove compartment (which is more preferable) and some from the driver’s side of the wheel. It is important to lay the cord so that it does not get confused with the moving parts of the car and does not interfere with the driver when driving.
In almost all cars, there is a small protrusion (niche) in the upper part of the windshield and headliner, which can be easily removed. A cable is passed through it from the DVR in one direction or another. To discreetly run the cable from the side, you can remove the side stand with a slight movement and carefully lay the cable under the panel.
The fuse is connected to the positive wire. There is a diagram on the fuse box cover where you can see the ACC (10 A) positive fuse icon. It is necessary to remove the standard fuse and connect the positive wire to it. After that, you can connect a cigarette lighter to it. If connected directly, the DVR may burn out, since these devices operate from 5 V. The negative wire is attached to the bolt of the fuse box.
Correct installation and mounting options for the DVR on the car
Many people ask how the DVR is installed in the car. The registrar is an additional device that records the situation during the movement of the car and staying in the parking lot. It has helped drivers to deal with ambiguous situations more than once. The device is mounted on the windshield and records video.
Where and how the DVRs are installed
Video recorders ensure the legal safety of drivers, as they can become an indispensable assistant in disputable situations with employees of the relevant authorities. An important point in obtaining high-quality shooting is the correct installation of the recorder in the car.
Let’s take a look at how to properly install the DVR. Usually fixing a recorder starts with finding a location. It is best to attach it to the top of the machine, as close to the ceiling as possible, since in this position it can be tilted downward to protect it from sunlight. The lower the DVR mount, the more likely it is that the sun will enter the lens.
The device is often attached to the windshield, but it can also be placed on the dashboard of the vehicle. In both cases, they are guided by the fact that the camera should not interfere and distract the driver while driving. If the DVR is small, then it can be attached to the glass behind the rearview mirror. As practice has shown, this is the most optimal place for the camera, which does not cause discomfort to the driver. The only drawback of such a DVR mount is the inability to rotate the camera, for example, at the time of a conflict with traffic inspectors.
If the appliance is massive, installation options are minimized. In such a situation, the DVR is mounted not on the glass, but on the dashboard. Only such an installation deprives the camera of the proper view.
Based on the experience of motorists, before attaching a car registrar, you should pay attention to the type of device. It can be on adhesive tape and on a suction cup. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages. The suction cup is very easy to use. It can be easily removed and put in place. But this type of fastening is short-lived. Over time, it begins to hold on worse, which causes the device to fall and break. The strength of this type of fastening is also affected by the temperature difference. For example, in the winter, the suction cup works worse.
As for DVRs with double-sided adhesive tape, they are much stronger than the previous version, but if you want to remove the device, you will not be able to reattach it.
Let’s take a look at how to secure the suction cup. In order for the suction cup to hold on tightly, the glass must be processed before attaching to remove excess fat. For this purpose, you can use glass cleaner or regular alcohol. If the glass is frozen, it should be warmed up. You also need to warm up the suction cup itself, since it turns to stone from the cold. For this purpose, you can simply warm up the car by turning on the stove.
How to install a backup camera. dash cam car rearview mirror DVR review
At the top of the windshield, there is often a pimpled dark band to protect it from the sun. The suction cup will not hold on to it, since the air present in the pimples will interfere with the attachment, therefore the recorder is placed below the dark tape. If the location on it is inevitable, then you will need to use scotch tape.
The next important nuance when installing DVRs is the range of devices. When choosing a seat, Honor the location of the airbags. The camera should not be damaged if the airbags are deployed.
How to install a car dash cam with a rear view camera
Let’s take a look at how to attach a dash cam with a rear view camera. If you have purchased a fixing device that looks not only forward, but also, with the help of a rear camera mounted on a small bracket, captures what is happening behind, then it must be connected to the “head unit” using a long wire.
- on the trunk lid (license plate frame);
- on the bumper;
- on the rear view glass.
There is universal equipment that serves as both a mirror and a video recorder at the same time. If a rear camera is attached to it, then for its installation a special hole is made in the back of the car into which the device is mounted. Such a camera is first connected to the rear lights for recharge, and then the cable is pulled to the DVR to receive a video signal. The cable length is approximately 5 m. All wiring runs unnoticed under the interior trim to avoid unnecessary elements. Rear view camera is triggered when the rear input is turned on.
The installation of a mirror with a camera is done according to the same principle as for a conventional DVR. You can do this using the montage described above. Only the device is attached directly to the standard mirror. Different brands of cars have different mirrors, so the mount may differ. Usually these are clamps or textile Velcro, by means of which the mirror is attached.
Features of installing and connecting mirrors with a DVR and a rear-view camera
The installation of the DVR mirror is usually carried out on the standard fastening of the car’s interior mirror. Having ensured a reliable fastening of the recorder, it will be necessary to connect the power wires and the rear view camera to it.
The most common way to connect DVRs in cars is to power them through the cigarette lighter socket. If for some reason you cannot do this, then connect the positive wire to the ACC contact (accessories) of the ignition switch, and the negative wire to the vehicle ground.
In addition to the power supply wires of the DVR, a rear-view camera must also be connected to the mirror. To do this, the video signal and camera power wires are pulled through the car interior into the luggage compartment.
If you want the external camera to turn on only when you turn on the reverse gear, then it should be powered not from the cigarette lighter or ignition switch, but from the power supply circuit of the reversing lights.
To achieve a more aesthetic appearance, we recommend that you hide all wires under the headliner and car pillars. This is done quite simply, by bending the rubber seals along the edges of the sheathing, and pushing the wires under it with any thin and not sharp object (for example, a ruler).
The rear-view camera itself can be installed in the decorative trim of the trunk lid, although for this you have to drill a hole. If it is not possible to drill a hole in the trunk lid, then you can use the frame of the license plate of the car and fix the camera on it.
Choosing a mirror-video recorder with a rear-view camera
A mirror-video recorder is a modern device that will be useful to every driver. The reasons for the great popularity of such devices are their versatility, simplicity of design (looks like an ordinary rear-view mirror), the absence of sagging wires, as well as the presence of a built-in DVR and a rear-view camera.
Since the DVR is built into the design of the mirror, this makes it possible not to attract unnecessary attention of strangers to this accessory. Thus, from the outside, the mirror-recorder looks discreet and as practical as possible.
And at the end of the article, see a video review of one of the most popular mirror-recorder models, according to the number of sales in Russia.
The main advantages and disadvantages of mirrors video recorders
Every car owner strives to add functionality to his car, so from time to time we buy useful gadgets that make our journey more comfortable, cozy and safe. DVRs in the rearview mirror can also be attributed to the list of these devices.
But it should be remembered that like any other electrical devices, DVR mirrors have both advantages and some disadvantages.
If we talk about the advantages of such mirrors, then they are obvious:
- Versatility of use (any car or bus).
- No foreign objects on the windshield. no wires and extraneous sensors that impair the driver’s view.
- The appearance of the device is identical to the standard rear-view mirror, the DVR in it is practically invisible from the outside.
- Installation of the device does not require special knowledge and skills.
- Ease of use.
- The presence of multifunctional properties: an in-car mirror, a video recorder, a rear view camera, and in some models there is even a GPS navigator.
- These mirrors are usually larger than standard mirrors, which improves the view behind the vehicle, thereby improving safety and driving comfort.
- Mirror-built DVR does not attract the attention of robbers.
- The mirror-recorder has an anti-reflective coating, which practically excludes the possibility of dazzling by the headlights from behind the vehicle.
- Using device apps does not block DVR recording.
- Buying this device allows you to save your money, since several gadgets are built in it at once (rear view camera, DVR, navigator).
- Offline recording capability.
- Saving car space (no extraneous elements).
- Swivel mount allows you to change the viewing angle of the DVR.
- Free access to the buttons on the front panel of the DVR.
- Above the DVR camera, some models have a built-in sun visor, which allows you to take high-quality shooting even in sunny weather.
- Selectable video resolution, which allows you to adjust the image quality and save space on the memory card.
- The presence of infrared illumination will allow you to record video even in the dark.
- The use of microSD cards ensures the safety of information even in case of severe damage to the “mirror”.
- Parking camera makes reversing safer.
But, despite such a number of advantages, DVR mirrors are not without some disadvantages:
- The built-in video recorder must be selected individually, as there may be discrepancies in the length of the mount and the thickness of the standard mirror.
- As a rule, a standard mirror mount is designed only for its own weight, so it may not hold the covers of a new device. Also, rubber bands and clamps are sometimes used as fasteners, which do not fix a new mirror very well. It can be disconnected at the first serious shock.
- The price of a good mirror with a DVR and a reversing camera is quite high.
- If one device fails, you lose all at once: the DVR, the parking camera, and the navigator.
Characteristics of mirrors with a DVR, which you should pay attention to
Let’s get acquainted with the main characteristics that you should pay attention to when choosing a mirror-DVR:
- Resolution of the camera. The video resolution of most models is at least 720×480 pixels (480p), and the maximum is 1920×1080 (FullHD or 1080p). The higher the resolution, the better the shooting quality. The presence of the extrapolation effect significantly improves the quality of video recording.
- Video recording format: AVI or MPEG (aka MP4). These formats will be readable on most modern devices, from smartphones to TVs.
- Wide viewing angle. We recommend paying attention to recorders with a diagonal viewing angle of at least 120 degrees.
- The frame rate must be at least 25 frames per second. At a lower frequency, the video will be played jerky.
- A shock sensor with built-in parking monitoring function will turn on the camera, for example, if someone “grabs” your car in the parking lot.
- Parking markings when the reversing camera is turned on will add a lot of convenience to the driver.
- Possibility of shooting at night.
Also, most models of mirror video recorders are equipped with their own battery, which ensures uninterrupted operation of the device even when the engine is not running. The higher the capacity of the built-in battery, the longer the autonomous operation of the recorder will be.
Blackview MD X3 Dual
Blackview MD X3 Dual is a dual camera car DVR. There is a built-in microphone and speaker, a motion indicator in the frame, which starts recording in automatic mode. All footage is saved in MP4 format on a card that must be purchased separately. The memory card capacity cannot exceed 32 GB. The recommended class of microSD or microSDHC card is 10. All elements are powered either by the on-board transport network, or through a rechargeable battery.
Technical parameters and characteristics of the gadget:
|Built-in battery capacity||300 mAh|
|Monitor diagonal||4.3 inch|
|Frames per second||thirty|
|Working temperature||-20 °. 70 ° C|
|Longest video duration||15 minutes|
|Minimum video length||3 minutes|
|Dimensional parameters||3108245 mm|
|Full mass||250 g|
A video recorder with a rear-view camera allows you to fix what is happening on the road while the vehicle is moving both from the front and from the back.
Neoline G-Tech X2
Neoline G-Tech X2 is a gadget equipped with a navigator with a remote camera. The built-in image stabilizer allows you to get a picture with a high level of clarity and resolution. Thanks to the LED backlit camera, this device can shoot video even in low light conditions and at night. You can use this device as a camera. The footage is saved in AVI, MOV and JPEG format.
Technical indicators and data of this modification of the recorder:
|Viewing angle||120 °|
|Available memory card size||32 GB|
|Vehicle electrical system voltage||12 in|
|Built-in rechargeable battery capacity||220 mAh|
|Operating temperature||0 °. 60 ° C|
|Full mass||270 g|
|Frames per second||thirty|
|Number of cameras||2|
|Physical size of the matrix||1.5 inch|
|Screen diagonal||3 inch|
|Minimum video duration||1 minute|
|Maximum video duration||5 minutes|
|Number of channels for sound recording||one|
Prestige 540 Full HD
Prestige 540 Full HD is a rear-view mirror-like dash cam equipped with an external camera. This technique is distinguished by the presence of a parking option (i.e. the driver can see the parking markings on the monitor). The design of this device includes a G-sensor, an indicator of movements in the frame, a microphone that can be turned off. Additional functions include overwrite protection, the ability to connect external cameras, photo mode and time and date recording.
Technical indicators and characteristics of the camera with a recorder:
|Lens capture angle||120 °|
|Display diagonal||2.7 inch|
|Memory size||Up to 32 GB|
|Video recording resolution||19201080|
|Recording speed||30 fps|
|RAM size||64 MB|
|Operating temperature||-10 °. 45 ° C|
|Gross weight of the device||240 g|
|Loop recording||Up to 10 minutes|
|Duration of work offline||7 minutes|
|Number of channels for sound recording||one|
Setting up parking guidelines
The setting depends on the type of optical device. In the simplest case, the marking cannot be adjusted, it only needs to be calibrated once (calculate the correspondence to real distances). This is done manually.
- Park the car directly in front of an obstacle (for example, in front of a curb), the bumper should be strictly parallel to it;
- Drive the car backwards so that the farthest parking line on the monitor coincides with the obstacle (green);
- Now get out of the car and measure the distance from the bumper to the curb. Now you know what distance the green line is measuring;
- Calculate the distances to other lanes in the same way;
- Remember the numbers you received. Now, while parking, you will know exactly how many cm separates your bumper from a wall or fence.
Next, let’s look at how to set up the markup on the rear view camera through the car radio (on the screen of which a picture is displayed). This is done through the Settings Menu of the standard audio system. The sequence of actions may differ, depending on the car brand or the type of head unit. Here is the most common one:
- Find a straight wooden stick (such as a shovel handle) and lay it parallel to the bumper, 1m from the rear view camera. The middle of the bar should be exactly opposite the camera’s eye;
- Next, find in the Car radio menu the section dedicated to the parking software settings;
- Turn on the device, wait for the image with a bar to appear on the monitor;
- Unscrew the steering wheel all the way to the right, then to the left (to activate the setting of dynamic parking guidelines);
- Find the key, pressing which will select the bar on the monitor in a frame;
- Use the arrow keys to adjust the symmetrical position of the bar in the rectangle;
- Save the setting.
Some models of radio tape recorders require laying two calibration objects at a distance of 1 m and 2 m. There are also devices with which you should use a special stencil from the kit. If you need to adjust the parking lines of the rear view camera on a Chinese car stereo with Android, we recommend that you search the network for instructions specifically for your model (everything can be sooo unique there).
Rearview camera parking line markup customization: change the world for you
Setting up the parking lines of the rear view camera is a simple process. Stay tuned and we will tell you how to do it.
A rear view camera is installed to improve visibility while parking. The image is displayed on the monitor in a mirrored format so that our “brain” feels it in its usual form. That is why such devices are not suitable for front-facing optics. Scalable markings do not display distance, but allow you to see the boundaries of the vehicle and surrounding obstacles (curbs, fences, poles, etc.). Thus, with such an optical assistant, even an inexperienced driver can easily cope with parking, even in very difficult places.
HOW TO INSTALL AND WIRE BACKUP CAMERA / DASH CAM DVR SYSTEM
By the way, if desired, parking lines can be turned off. Someone they interfere, others do not need it due to the absence of problems with parking, still others are trying to adapt such a camera for the front one. Below in the article we will tell you how to remove the markings from the rear view camera.
Types of markup
Before we move on to adjusting the parking lines on the rear view camera, let’s find out what they are.
- Static layout with a straight grid. On the screen, it looks like two bounding guides on the sides of the car, with colored lines crossing them. Each color means a certain distance from the strip to the bumper. For example, green. 2-3 m, yellow. 1 m, red. 50 cm.Such markings are convenient when driving backward strictly in a straight line and completely useless if you park along a curve (twisting the steering wheel or out of a turn).
- Dynamic, in accordance with the angle of rotation of the wheels. On the monitor, it is displayed in the form of curved lines that follow the trajectory of the machine. The mesh is also crossed by colored perpendicular stripes that characterize the distance to the bumper.
If you’re wondering how to enable the rearview camera markup, relax! The process starts automatically while driving in reverse. The picture appears on the monitor immediately after moving the automatic transmission lever to the desired position. Please note that a situation where the image does not automatically turn on may indicate serious problems.
How to disable markup?
As promised, we will tell you how to turn off the markings on the rear view camera. This can be done in several ways:
- Via the Car Radio Settings Menu. Just find the appropriate option and activate. However, not all OEM head units contain this setting;
- Check the optical device, it may have a switch. It can be used to disable mirroring and markup. The mechanism, again, is not present on all cameras;
- The radical method is to cut the loopback wire in the rear view camera cable. Find the loop and cut off, the contacts are securely insulated. You can forget about parking lines forever;
- It is also possible to remove parking lines on the rear view camera as tooling as a professional electrician. To do this, you need to disassemble the gadget and remove the elements responsible for the parking lines from the microcircuit. The method is suitable only for those who really understand the electronic modules of car gadgets. If you are not one of them, we do not recommend taking it, you can completely ruin the device. Then no setting will help.
As you can see, adjusting the parking guidelines in the rear view camera is easy. Not two or two, of course, but thinking with your head is sometimes useful! We wish you easy and hassle-free parking!