Using VLC to Rip Movies to iPad and iPhone over Cable and Wi-Fi
The main advantage of this and other such applications is smooth playback of almost all popular video formats, including mkv, mp4 with codecs other than H.264 and others.
After installing the application, there are two ways to copy video files to the device: using iTunes (but already without format restrictions) or via Wi-Fi in the local network (i.e., both the computer and phone or tablet must be connected to the same router to transfer ).
How to Transfer Videos to iPhone and iPad from Computer
One of the possible tasks of the owner of an iPhone or iPad is to transfer to him a video downloaded on a computer or laptop for later viewing on the road, waiting or somewhere else. Unfortunately, it is impossible to do this simply by copying video files “like on a USB flash drive” in the case of iOS. However, there are plenty of ways to copy a movie.
In this guide for beginners. about two ways to transfer video files from a Windows computer to an iPhone and iPad from a computer: the official (and its limitation) and my preferred method without iTunes (including via Wi-Fi), as well as briefly about other possible options. Note: the same methods can be used on macOS computers (but sometimes it is more convenient to use Airdrop for them).
Copy Video to VLC with iTunes
- Connect your iPad or iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
- Select your device in the list, and then in the “Settings” section, select “Applications”.
- Scroll down the program page and select VLC.
- Drag the video files to VLC Documents or click Add Files, select the files you want and wait for them to finish copying to the device.
After finishing copying, you will be able to view the downloaded movies or other videos in the VLC player on your phone or tablet.
Copy Videos from Computer to iPhone and iPad to iTunes
Apple has provided only one option for copying media files, including videos from a Windows or MacOS computer to iPhones and iPads. using iTunes (hereinafter I will assume that iTunes is already installed on your computer).
The main limitation of this method is that it only supports the.mov.m4v and.mp4 formats. over, for the latter case, the format is not always supported (it depends on the codecs used, the most popular is H.264, it is supported).
To copy videos using iTunes, just follow these simple steps:
- Connect the device, if iTunes does not start automatically, start the program.
- Select your iPhone or iPad in the device list.
- In the “On my device” section, select “Movies” and simply drag the desired video files from the folder on your computer to the list of movies on your device (you can also choose from the “File” menu. “Add file to library”.
- In case the format is not supported, you will see the message “Some of these files were not copied because they cannot be played on this iPad (iPhone).
- After adding files to the list, click the “Synchronize” button at the bottom. After synchronization is complete, you can disconnect the device.
After you finish copying videos to your device, you can watch them in the Video application on it.
Transfer Videos to iPhone or iPad over Wi-Fi in VLC
Note: for the method to work, both the computer and the iOS device must be connected to the same network.
- Launch the VLC app, open the menu and enable “Access via WI-FI”.
- An address will appear next to the switch, which must be entered in any browser on the computer.
- Having opened this address, you will see a page on which you can simply drag and drop files, or click on the “Plus” button and specify the required video files.
- Wait for the download to finish (in some browsers, the progress bar and percentages are not displayed, but the download is in progress).
Once completed, the video can be viewed in VLC on the device.
Note: I noticed that sometimes after downloading VLC does not display the downloaded video files in the playlist (although it takes up space on the device). Empirically determined that this happens with long file names in Russian with punctuation marks. I did not reveal clear patterns, but renaming the file to something “simpler” helps to solve the problem.
To download videos to iPhone, you need a special program. iTunes:
- Download it from the official Apple website and install.
- Connect the gadget to your PC using a USB cable. The wire must be included.
- Wait while the system detects the presence of a new device.
- Unlock iPhone.
- If you see the notification “Do you allow this device to access videos and photos?” or “Do you trust this computer?”, confirm that you trust and allow.
- Open iTunes on PC.
- Go to the File menu.
- Select “Add New File to Library”.
- Specify the path to the video.
- It will appear in the Videos section of iTunes under the Home tab. To open it, click on the drop-down list at the top left.
- In the media library, right-click on the video.
- Select “Add to device” and then “iPhone”.
- You can insert a movie into the library using the mouse. Just drag it with the cursor from the folder to the iTunes window.
To upload a video to an Apple gadget, you must enable synchronization.
- Go to the device overview. To do this, click on its name in the list of connected iTunes devices. Or click on the icon in the form of a phone in the upper left.
- Open Settings. Movies.
- Check the “Synchronize” checkbox and apply the changes.
- In the device overview, click on the “Synchronize” button. She is on the bottom right.
- The video will appear on the iPhone in the “Videos” menu (section “Home”).
- Connect the gadget to the PC. Subsequently, you can transfer files without a USB connection. But for the initial setup, you need a cable.
- Open iTunes.
- Go to the device overview.
- Scroll down the page.
- Check the option “Sync over Wi-Fi”.
- Click “Apply”.
You can then wirelessly download the media from your computer to your iPhone (if the devices are on the same network). For this:
- Go to gadget settings.
- Section “Basic”.
- Item “Synchronization via Wi-Fi”.
- Synchronize button.
How to Transfer Photos and Videos from Computer to iPhone
Everything in the iTunes library will be copied to the device’s memory. You can add new videos to it, even if the phone is far away.
If you don’t want to select one shortcut at a time, but copy a collection of movies at once, in the File menu click Add Folder. And specify the directory with media. They will be automatically copied to iPhone every time you sync.
Moving Videos from Computer to iPhone: Several Ways to Do It
The iPhone can play videos. Even if these devices do not have such a large screen as a modern TV. But they are great for watching movies on the way to work, in line, at a boring event. And, in general, in any place where you can get a phone. But transferring a media file to a gadget is so easy. You won’t be able to work with it like with other drives. Understand how to transfer video from computer to iPhone, what format it should be, and what programs are best to use for converting.
iPhone cannot “read” AVI clips. If you’ve downloaded just such a movie, your Apple device won’t open it. It only plays MP4, M4V and MOV with h.264 codec. Here’s how to view information about a video:
- Click on it with the right mouse button.
- In the context menu select “Properties”.
- The file type contains the extension.
- Go to the “Details” tab to see other characteristics: bit rate, bit rate, frame rate, picture size.
Most of the films are distributed in AVI. Although there are movies in FLV, MKV, 3GP, VOD, OGG. Therefore, before transferring video from computer to iPhone, you need to convert the file to a suitable format. This can be done using the following programs:
- Any Video Converter (AVC). A convenient utility. just indicate on which device the movie will be played, and it will set the necessary settings by itself.
- Format Factory. Even a DVD can be converted. Recovers damaged media files. It is an online service. You don’t need to install anything with it or run it from your computer. On the main page there is immediately an option “MP4” with the necessary parameters. But you can download a maximum of 20 MB for free.
- Freemake Video Converter. Allows you not only to convert, but also to edit videos: cut and merge fragments, rotate, create slideshows.
Just changing the extension is not enough. The characteristics will remain the same. And the iPhone won’t be able to recognize it. Therefore, it is better to use a converter.
Different programs have different settings and interface. But no special knowledge is needed. Just set the following settings:
- Format: MP
- Video codec (Video Encoder): h.264.
- You can change the rest to whatever you want, or leave it as it is.
If you want to do without conversion, download any player from the App Store that recognizes the files you need (for example, GPlayer). After that, you can figure out how to transfer video from your computer to iPhone. There are several ways to do this.
iCloud is Apple’s NAS. If you put a video in it, it will be available on all your devices that are connected to the Internet. All you need is a username and password for your account. They must match the user data specified in the iPhone settings.
- Install the iCloud program on your computer. It is on the official Apple website.
- Run it.
- Click “Account”.
- Enter your Apple account details and confirm.
- Go to iCloud.com.
- Write your Apple ID and password.
Here are some more options on how to download videos to iPhone:
- Mail. Send yourself an email with an attachment. And open it on your device.
- File sharing and online storage. For example, Dropbox or Yandex.Disk. This is the same as iCloud, but not only for Apple devices.
- Messengers with the function of sending files.
- Video hosting. Add a video to YouTube or Rutube and watch on iPhone. Or search the App Store for an app that grabs media from your browser.
- Social networks. For example, on. you can upload a video.
With Apple gadgets, it’s not so easy to transfer files. We need special programs. But you can still watch your favorite movie on iPhone.
Three Ways to Transfer Videos from Computer to iPhone
Sooner or later, every owner of Apple devices faces the question of how to transfer video from a computer to an iPhone. And this issue is solved very easily and in several ways. Although, each of the methods will be more convenient for different cases.
For example, you can easily sync videos to your iPhone from your computer using iTunes. It’s another matter if the computer does not belong to you, but it contains the video you need on the iPhone. In this case, iCloud will help. a cloud storage that will allow you to transfer video over the Internet.
But, if this is someone else’s computer and there is no Internet connection, or you just do not want to understand the intricacies of iTunes, then it is better to use the iCareFone utility from the developer Tenorshare. Now in more detail about each of the listed methods.
Transfer Videos from Computer to iPhone via iCareFone
The quickest and easiest way to add videos from your computer is using the iCareFone utility from the developer Tenorshare. It is extremely easy to use and does not require an understanding of syncs and other features of iTunes. You just work with the memory of your smartphone as with a regular flash drive.
How to Transfer Videos from iPhone to PC (and Windows to iPhone). UPDATED
Install Tenorshare iCareFone by downloading from the official site. For a start, the free version will be enough.
Connect your iPhone to your computer and run the utility. Wait for your iPhone to decide.
Go to the video section in the utility. Or select the video section in the file system tab.
Now all files and videos on your iPhone are shown in front of you. Just select “Import” and drag the videos you want from your computer to the iCareFone window. Once downloaded, the videos will be on iPhone.
To transfer video folders, select Import Select Folder, then select a folder and click OK.
Tenorshare iCareFone is built with ease of use in mind. Thus, you can transfer any files with just a few clicks. In addition, the application itself has a wide functionality including the ability to download any files up to applications. Also, with the help of the utility, you can create backups of your smartphone, restore it, update the firmware or repair the firmware in case of critical errors. In general, iCareFone is an easier-to-use version of iTunes, but without a licensed media teka and linking to an Apple ID.
How to Transfer Videos from Computer to iPhone with iCloud
If you don’t have iTunes on your computer, but you have the Internet, or you don’t want to search for a cable lost somewhere, then iCloud is the best solution to send video from your computer to iPhone. All you need is the Internet on your computer and iPhone, as well as registering your Apple ID.
On your computer, go to the iCloud website. Log in using your username and password.
Go to the file storage itself.
Drag and drop videos from your computer into it. Directly into the browser window or just follow the instructions for downloading files.
After you have uploaded the video to iCloud, go to the iCloud app through your iPhone.
Now you can download video to your smartphone from cloud storage.
This method is extremely convenient at the present time. Rarely in any house there is no good Wi-Fi, and unlimited mobile Internet is no longer a novelty. But, there is a problem with the iCloud service itself. The maximum amount of free space provided is 5 GB.
This problem is solved by using the direct competitor of iCloud. Google Drive. Cloud storage from Google is a little more supportive and already provides 15 GB of free space. All you need is a registered Gmail mail. The transfer instructions work exactly the same.
Both iCloud and Google Drive allow you to transfer videos to Android smartphones in the same way.
How to Download Videos to iPhone via iTunes from Computer
For experienced users, and for Apple itself, this method is the most obvious. You just add the video to iTunes and sync it to your device.
Connect your iPhone to your computer and turn on iTunes. Wait until everything is decided and the synchronization ends.
Open the video section on iTunes in the drop-down menu of your smartphone. This section will list all the videos that are in iTunes and on your iPhone.
Open the folder with the video you want to transfer. Drag it to the center of the iTunes window to other videos and make sure that after processing there is a checkmark next to it confirming the synchronization.
To download a video from your computer to your iPhone, go to your smartphone information section and manually start syncing. After its completion, the videos will be on the iPhone.
This method has a significant drawback. ITunes must be installed on your computer, and with your PC this is often not a problem. over, if you are an Apple user of a mobile device, you have definitely installed iTunes for yourself. But, there may be problems with someone else’s computer.
Utilities from Tenorshare, namely iCareFone, is a one-stop solution. It works with any computer, except those on which the operating system Linux is installed. Also, the utility supports any version of iOS and iPhone model.
How to Transfer Videos from PC to iPhone (and iPhone to Windows!)
The developer Tenorshare itself produces other utilities for working with the iPhone. All of them are as easy to use as possible, they are universal and fulfill their function in just a few clicks. For example, Tenorshare UltData allows you to recover deleted files on iPhone. Other utilities allow you to back up or transfer files or the entire system from one iPhone to another.