How to set up a Hikvision DVR?
Many users who have just bought a video recorder have a question: how to set it up ?
You can, of course, invite a little man, which will help set up this device, but this requires an unwanted waste of money. Yes, and I want to try something new myself and get skills in the mood. That’s why it’s worth doing it yourself, this article will help you with this.
So let’s get started, consider the following two options:
The first option is to connect cameras to the DVR. then the monitor to the recorder (viewing the image from the same monitor);
Forgot Hikvision Password? See How To Reset/Restore Hikvision Password | All Options Covered
The second option is the setting for Internet access, which makes it possible to view the video from anywhere where there is a PC or phone with Internet access.
As an example, we will use the TurboHD version, the recorder: DS-7104HQHI-K1 and the camera: DS-2CE16D0T-IT5F.
After pulling the camera out of the box, we will find three screws with dowels as well as the camera itself with two plugs. The first is for connecting a 12 v power supply (it is not included with the camera). But the second one is used to connect to the recorder via a coaxial cable. In our version, we will use quite convenient connectors “BNC-spring”.
Before starting the connection with the DVR, you need to unscrew it (4 screws at the bottom) and put the hard drive there, connecting it with the wires that come with the kit (as well as to the computer) and assemble it back.
Using three dowels, we install the camera in a suitable place chosen for it and extend the cable to the recorder. The cable must be stripped from both sides. In a nutshell: there is a copper core inside the cable, we cut off everything that goes on top of this core (insulation, braid, second insulation) to expose it by 5-6 mm.
It is more convenient to do all this with the help of a special “clothespin knife” (a cutting tool for a coaxial cable), well, or with an ordinary cutter (a clerical knife. just be careful).
Then we unscrew the BNC connector and see a very simple picture there. there is one small screw, which is screwed perpendicularly into the copper tube, into which we insert the cable core.
We unscrew this small screw a little, insert the core and clamp the screw back, some metal “ears” appeared on top of the cable insulation itself, we squeeze them with pliers so that the wire is securely held in the connector.
All our BNC cables are ready. We connect one of its sides to the plug using the “insert and scroll” method to the camera (Scrolling the top of the connector, securely fix the plug in it). And the other side is also connected to the DVR into one of the four slots, under which is written “video in”. Next, we connect the 12v power supply unit (which comes with the kit) to the DVR into the socket marked 12v. Connect the mouse (included) to the USB and connect the monitor to the recorder using a VGA cable.
Let’s also consider the option of connecting IP registrars and IP cameras. that are connected to standard Ethernet patch cords with RJ.45 plugs on both sides through the switch or the IP cameras themselves to the DVR. We will not describe how to make patch cords, since such information is very common on the Internet. If the switch has PoE (power over Ethernet) or such a switch is built into the recorder itself, then you do not need to connect power to the first connector of the camera.
Next, we will consider the IP option, since the settings are similar, but a more advanced option can be shown on the IP.
At the moment of turning on, the DVR will start beeping (or, in other words, beeping). This can happen if there is no hard disk inserted in it. Where to find the reason and how to turn off the annoying beeping, we will tell you a little later.
So, let’s move on to activating the device by entering the password for the admin user. Upon request, you will need to enter the password that you come up with. the more difficult the better.
The user must enter the administrator password. The password itself must be invented by yourself, it must contain from 8 to 16 characters. The password must be remembered or written down, since the procedure for resetting it is extremely lengthy and difficult.!
After entering the password in new registrars, for convenience, you will be prompted to enter a graphic password, but there you will figure it out.
then there will be a question; “Should I launch an assistant?”
In this window, it is better to uncheck the box next to the “Run the assistant when you turn on the DVR” item, since we definitely do not need to do the setting every time. But the first time you can use it. click “next.” and windows with basic settings will appear on your monitor in turn.
So now there will be a window with network settings. For optimal performance, not only the IP address and subnet mask must be specified, but also the gateway and DNS.
Here it is quite enough to get automatic settings from the router (server) by ticking the “DHCP” box, but for this, the DHCP server must be set up in the local network (most often it is turned on either on the Internet access router or on the corporate channel server).
Now let’s move on to the cloud settings. Nowadays it is more often called Hik p 2 p Cloud. not EZVIZ.
Here you can leave the default settings, only enable if you plan to view cameras from the DVR from mobile devices.
Connection ports. In this section, the ports for network access and settings for access via DDNS are registered. We recommend leaving all settings unchanged.
Next is the HDD queue, in this window you can see, define and format.
In the beginning, hard disks are delivered unformatted, but even if you install a hard disk that has already been used, it is still recommended to format it. To do this, you need to click the “Initialize” button.
“Search and connect IP cameras from the online list, Camera recording settings, Copy recording settings.” For information on how to do this, see the article “ How to Add Camera to NVR “.
The next setting window. Recording mode will appear only if a series of IP cameras from the online list has not been provided. In this window, you can enable recording for all channels by motion or continuous. Most often, users choose motion recording to save hard disk space. In the basic settings, the archive includes a segment of video that starts 5 seconds before the start of movement in the frame, and ends 5 seconds after it ends.
And now the initial setup of the DVR is completed, and our assistant will be closed, and the image itself will be replaced by a quad screen, on which there may not be any displayed cameras, if it is not a DVR.
Let’s go back to the sound signals of our DVR, right-click
and go to “main menu” → “config. systems” → “warnings” and there we see options (reasons for sound signals). no HDD, etc., There are three types of alarm notifications in total: sound, SMS, email. Uncheck / put the checkboxes from the “sound signals” and click “apply”. Set up other notifications in the same way.
If our NVR or we want to connect some number of supported IP cameras to the DVR. then you need to register these cameras manually in it. For how to do this, see the article “How to Add a Camera to NVR”
After completing the connection of cameras, click on the “Live View” button in the lower left corner of the screen and go to display.
In the display mode, in the upper right corner of each playback channel, a row of icons is displayed, showing the channel status, displays the time period when the channel is being recorded, or when alarm events occur in the channel.
And here we are looking at the video cameras. We can expand / collapse to the entire monitor by double-clicking on the image.
A significant number of functions are available in the display mode in the device:
- Single Screen: Display one screen on the monitor.
- Multi. screen: display multiple screens simultaneously on the monitor.
- Auto. switch: the mode of sequential switching of channels sequentially, the switching time between channels is user defined. Setting this mode:
- Start Recording: Continuous recording and alarm recording.
- Output Mode: select the type of output display.
- Add IP Camera: enter the menu for adding IP cameras.
- Playback: Play the recorded video of the current day.
- Aux / Main output switch: The NVR detects which devices are connected to its outputs by prioritizing. Priority level for this type of device: HDMI VGA CVBS. This means if HDMI is used. then it will be the main outputs. If HDMI is not used, then VGA will be the main.
When displayed for quick setting or control, for each camera there is a quick setting menu, which is displayed when the left mouse button is pressed once on the window of the selected camera.
We reset using special programs
Not every ip-camera can be equipped with a reset button. In this situation, you will need to use additional software.
Most devices that do their work in the cloud service called XMEYE are not supplemented with a factory reset button. These are ip cameras produced under the following brands:
All listed brands of IP cameras are equipped with XMEYE-stuffing.
To reset the installed settings of such devices, you will need to connect the camcorder either to the computer’s network interface or to its local network. Then you can turn on the power of the device.
The next step will require software installation. For CCTV cameras based on the XMEYE service, you need to download ResetUser.
Other brands of cameras with excellent hardware will need different software. In this case, you will need to make a request to the seller, supplier or manufacturer of the IP camera in order for him to provide the appropriate software.
The proposed file is an archive, so it will need to be unpacked using an archiver. In the reset window, you will need to specify the IP address of your video camera, and then click the “Run” button. Next, you will need to wait a few minutes so that the reset procedure can start and be implemented.
After the specified time, the settings will be reset to the factory settings. It will be possible to enter the device management interface with standard access. For cameras on XMEYE, the password will be empty, and the login will be admin.
Reset using the Reset button
There are many ways to reset an IP camera. However, they may differ depending on the manufacturer of the device. The simplest option would be to click on a small button, sometimes called “secret”. It is just intended to return to the standard settings of the CCTV camera. If the instruction manual of the camcorder is saved, it will be possible to find the reset with it, because its location is usually indicated in the document.
The most common location for a factory reset button hole is on the back of the device. In this case, the video camera is always equipped with a special device that allows you to press the specified button.
Reset can be located not only on the camcorder body, in a special small hole. Sometimes there are such modifications of devices on the IP-protocol, in which there is no direct access to the reset button from the outside. Therefore, you will need to open the case of the device.
In some models of IP cameras, the button may be located among the bundle of wires that go out of this device. This option is most common in those modifications that are intended for outdoor video surveillance.
It will not be difficult to reset an IP camera that has a similar reset. To do this, it will be enough to turn on the power, and then wait until the device turns on completely. After that, you will need to press the button and hold it for several seconds. Then the IP camera will be able to reboot by applying the factory settings.
How to reset ip camera to factory settings
A CCTV camera is a digital device that uses the IP protocol to transmit data and video streams. In this case, the cameras are connected to the network. Accordingly, such a complexity in work requires a lot of complicated settings. However, during the operation of the CCTV camera, it may be necessary that it will need to be reset to the standard factory settings.
It may be necessary to reset all the implemented parameters of the IP-camera in various situations:
- When the password for the camera interface account is lost or forgotten, you will need to reset the password on the IP camera. And in this case, unfortunately, it will not be possible to do without the transition from personal settings to factory settings.
- When it is not possible to enter the interface in which the video camera control process is carried out. This can happen after such a reconfiguration of the device, which led to the impossibility of turning on the camera or its freelance operation. Then you definitely need to make some manipulations to correct the situation.
The following methods will allow you to reset the camera configuration:
- Return to factory settings when a corresponding button is present on the camcorder to do so.
- Resetting to factory settings on devices that do not have a dedicated button.
This digital camera can be reset to factory configuration via the web interface. In the section “Settings” “Reset settings”.
If you cannot enter the web interface, then you need to press the reset button 3 times with intervals of about one second between clicks for 10 seconds.
Password reset via authorized support
Average processing time for password reset requests in an authorized support service from 30 minutes to an hour and a half, on weekdays during business hours.
Device passwords are reset only when you provide a photo sticker (nameplate) of the device.
Passwords will not be reset without a photo attached to the application.
To perform a reset, you must fill out a password reset application containing the following data:
With attached files: a photo of the nameplate and XML or XLS (X) depending on the reset method (1 or 0, respectively)
ATTENTION! Without attached export file, device nameplate picture file and completed form. password reset is not performed.
To correctly fill out the application and carry out the password reset procedure
1) First, install the latest SADP software from the link.
2) Take a photo and save the photo of the sticker, with the barcode on the device itself.
3) Run SADP as administrator
After opening SADP, the program will scan your local network and display a list of found devices. It is worth paying attention to the “Security” column, the device on which you need to reset the password must be “Active”. the device is active and the password is set.
After clicking on the “Forgot Password” link, a window will open, the appearance of which depends on the firmware version installed in the device.
4) Follow the steps according to the reset method:
Problems when resetting a password via SADP
Note: When using SADP to reset the device, it is strongly recommended to connect the device directly to the PC whenever possible.
Method number 0
For older firmwares (5.2 for cameras, 3.0.9 for DVRs and earlier)
If the old firmware version is installed, the system will ask you to enter the code to reset the password to the factory (12345) as in the illustration below.
To get the code, you need to follow these steps.
Close the default password recovery window for now.
You need to send the following information to authorized support:
- complete serial number of the device (For example: DS-72xxABCD-XY / SN123456789ABCD123456789ABCD) (The serial number from the sticker on the device will not work, only the one specified in SDP)
- The value of the “Start time” field (For example: 2014-05-22 1:11 PM), which can be found on the right side of the table
To obtain this information, you can use the data export.
Check the box next to the required devices and press the Export button, a spreadsheet file (.XLS) will be created
1) Create an email, fill out the form, attach 2 required files and send an email.
Instead of an XLS file, you can copy the data (serial number and launch time) directly into the body of the letter after the required form.
2) Do not turn off or reboot the device while waiting for a response. SADP can be closed until a response is received.
3) Receive a reply letter containing reset codes.
4) Again, follow the steps of point 3) and enter the code sent from the list in the window corresponding to the current date.
Usually 3-4 codes are sent for different dates. Each reset code is valid only for the specified days.
Self-service password reset by GUID file
New firmwares are equipped with additional functionality that can facilitate quick password reset, but it will only work if you take care of the need to reset the password during device setup, when you still remember the password.
To prepare for this method, you need to go to the Web interface or remote configuration in iVMS-4200 or BatchConfigTool and in the user management section
By exporting the GUID file to your computer and saving it somewhere in a good place, you will be able to recover the password yourself by simply importing it to your device.
By clicking on “Forgot Password” in the corresponding interface of the device, you will be offered a reset form:
If you accidentally select a file from another device, then it simply won’t be accepted. Resetting the password does not affect the archive and device settings.
How to reset passwords
Hikvision has 5 ways to reset the password, the use of which mainly depends on the novelty of the equipment and firmware installed on it:
- Reset via Authorized Support by Code and SADP Tool (deprecated)
- Reset via authorized support by XML file and SADP Tool
- Self-service password reset by GUID file
- Self-service password reset by answering the “secret” question
- Self-resetting the password with the RESET button
Legacy Method 0 is only possible on older hardware released before 2016 that has not been updated with firmware. Since it is in many ways similar to method 1, which replaced it in the future, we will consider it as an addition to method 1, calling both methods “Password reset through an authorized support service”.
But we will start in the reverse order, since in this case we practically get the order according to the degree of complication of user actions.
Error: Get key error
Description of the problem
How To Reset Hikvision IP Network Bullet Camera to default settings
When exporting a key file, SADP reports: Get key error
- PC and device are connected through more than one switch that does not support multi-cast function.
- The PC and the device are connected through a router, and the NAT function is enabled on both the router and the device.
- PC IP address changed while opening SADP software.
- Incorrect device firmware.
- When the device and PC are connected through more than one switch, please make sure the routers support the multi-cast function, as it is necessary for the device activation and reset process.
- When the PC and the device are connected through a router, try to disable the NAT function in the router and the device. When NAT is enabled, the device does not receive multi-cast messages.
- When the PC and device are directly connected and the IP address of the PC has changed while SADP was open, just restart SADP.
- Try flashing the device, for example using TFTP.
- Error: Reset password failed
With the first two mistakes.
- Reinstall software;
- Disable anti-virus software and firewalls;
- Reboot the device;
- Restart PC.
Then do it all over again.
If these steps do not help, try repeating the operation on another PC.
Password recovery using the Reset button
(suitable for Hikvision devices that have a password reset button)
1) You need to find the Reset button on the device
2) You need to disconnect the camcorder from the power supply and hold down the Reset button for 15 seconds. After that, without releasing the Reset button, turn on the power and hold for another 15 seconds.
3) Release the Reset button. The camera will go into an inactive state.
Password reset methods on Hikvision devices
Password recovery by GUID file
This method is available for NVR from V3.4.90 model.EKI and Turbo 3.0 DVR from V3.4.80 model DS-HG, HQ, HUHI-F.
1) For preliminary preparation, go to the recorder settings in the IVMS-4200 utility and select the System. User tabs. Export GUID file (for IVMS-4200). Save the file in a safe place on your computer.
2) Then, when you need to recover the device password, you must click “Forgot Password” in the login menu.
3) The interface of the device will offer you a reset form into which you need to import a previously saved file.
Password recovery using secret word (SADP Tool)
1) Download and open the SADP program. Choosing a device for password recovery. In the lower right corner, select Forgot Password.
2) In the window that appears, select Sequrity Question Mode.
3) In the list of secret questions, we give the answers that you indicated when activating the camera. We set a new password and confirm it. Be sure to check the box Reset Network Camera’s Passwords. If everything is correct, the camera will receive a new password.
Password recovery using SADP Tool
1) You need to download the SADP Tool application to your computer and run it.
2) Then you need to find the device on which you want to reset the password.
3) Next to the device on which you want to reset the password, put a checkmark and in the lower right corner press the Forgot Password button.
4) A window will appear with instructions for resetting the password in which you need to select the Export button. And specify the folder on your computer where this file will be saved.
5) In the specified folder, you must find a file with the extension.xml and send it to the mail that is indicated on the site along with the confirmation of the purchase of the device. The answer will be a file with the extension.xml and the name in the format of the serial number of the device and the date of the password reset.
6) Save the file to your computer and load it into the Reset Password window. Step 2. Import File. After that, in the New Password tab, come up with a new password and confirm it in the Confirm Password tab. Confirm the actions with the Confirm button.
7) If everything is done correctly, the device will be assigned a new password.
Password recovery using a secret word (web interface)
1) To prepare for this method, in the device web interface, select the Settings tab. Account Management. Security Questions.
2) Enter the current device password.
3) We give answers to security questions and click OK.
4) When you need to recover the password in the device login menu, select “Forgot Password”
5) The interface will prompt you to select a password recovery form and answer security questions.
6) It is necessary to register and confirm a new password. The device will be assigned a new password.