IPhone Screen Recording
You can enable video capture on iPhone in several ways: using the standard iOS settings (version 11 and higher), or using third-party programs on your computer. The last option will be relevant for someone who owns an old iPhone and has not updated the system for a long time.
iOS 11 and higher
Starting with the 11th version of iOS, iPhone can record video from the screen using the built-in tool. In this case, the finished file is saved to the “Photos” application. In addition, if the user wants to have additional tools for working with video, you should think about downloading a third-party application.
The most popular iPhone recording software. Combines ease of use and advanced video editing features. The process for enabling it is similar to the standard recording tool, but there are some minor differences. Read about how to use DU Recorder and what else it can do in our article in Method 2.
The iPhone OS also offers its own video capture tools. To enable this function, you need to go to the phone settings. In the future, the user will only use the “Control Panel” (quick access to the main functions).
First you need to make sure that the “Screen Recorder” tool is in the “Control Panel” of the system.
Go to the “Control Center” section. Click Configure Element. management “.
Add a Screen Recorder to the top block. To do this, tap on the plus sign opposite the desired item.
The user can also change the order of elements by pressing and holding an element in a special place indicated in the screenshot. This will affect their position in the “Control Panel”.
The process of activating the screen capture mode is as follows:
Open the iPhone Control Panel by swiping down from the top-right edge of the screen (in iOS 12) or from the bottom up from the bottom of the screen. Find the screen recording icon.
Tap and hold for a few seconds, after which the settings menu will open, where you can also turn on the microphone.
Click “Start Recording”. After 3 seconds, everything you do on the screen will be recorded. This also applies to notification sounds. You can remove them by activating the “Do not disturb” mode in the phone settings.
To end the video capture, go to the “Control Panel” again and click the record icon again. Please note that you can also mute and unmute the microphone while filming.
You can find the saved file in the “Photos” application. the “All photos” album, or by going to the “Media types” section. “Video”.
IPhone Screen Recording
In the process of surfing the Internet or spending time in the game, the user sometimes wants to record his actions on video to show his friends or post on video hosting. It is easy to implement and also add system sounds and microphone sound if desired.
iOS 10 and below
If the user does not want to update to iOS 11 and higher, then the standard screen recording will not be available to him. Owners of older iPhones can use the free iTools software. This is a kind of alternative to the classic iTunes, which for some reason does not provide such a useful function. Read about how to work with this program and how to record video from the screen in the next article.
In this article, we have analyzed the basic programs and tools for capturing video from the iPhone screen. Starting with iOS 11, device owners can quickly enable this feature in the “Control Panel”.
Instructions How to record a video from the iPhone and iPad screen on OS X Yosemite
For six years, iOS app developers have been waiting for the ability to record everything that happens on the iPhone and iPad screen. Until now, owners have had to resort to a number of third-party tools, none of which have worked perfectly. In the beginning there were tweaks from Cydia. Then Reflector appeared. It seemed that the real miracle would be gone.
But all such programs will forever sink into oblivion at the time of the release of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. Working in tandem with each other, the two operating systems support the creation of video recordings from the screen in maximum quality, without loss of frames, with full synchronization of audio and video. You don’t need any additional accessories. You don’t even need internet.
Videos recorded using the new method have twice the frame rate than software like Reflector allowed. a stable 60 frames / sec. This changes everything: iOS has always been based on smooth animations, so this function alone is enough to immediately remove the aforementioned programs. To implement something like this, iOS 8 clearly added a new system process responsible for the jewelry capture of everything that happens on the screen. Accordingly, even using OS X Yosemite, you will not be able to record video from the screen of a device running on iOS 7 and earlier.
To record video from the screen, we need: an iOS 8 device, a Mac computer with OS X 10.10 Yosemite installed, and a Lightning cable. The one that was bundled with your Apple mobile gadget. Do not need anything else.
We connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your Mac using a Lightning cable. Open QuickTime application on Mac. The easiest way to do this is by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the screen and writing QuickTime in the window that opens.
From the top QuickTime menu, select File. New Video.
Click on the small down arrow next to the round red button. In the menu that opens, under the word Camera, select the connected device. In my case, this is the iPhone (Nikita). In the same menu, under the word Microphone, select the device again.
Finally, under the word Quality, feel free to choose the Maximum. As a result, everything looks like this:
Now all you have to do is click on the big round button. Everything you do on the device screen will be recorded. including system sounds and music.
The recording stops when you click on the stop square. Do not forget to save the video by selecting File. Save in the upper menu. When you close the window with the video, you will also be prompted to save the recording.
The video quality is excellent. Pay attention to the fact that when you start recording, the operator’s name automatically disappears from the device screen, the maximum levels of network and Wi-Fi signal reception, the full battery level are set, and the time in the top panel changes. to practically the proprietary 9:41.
Capturing video from your iPhone and iPad has never been easier. And the owners of Windows computers can only sympathize. and wait until someone breaks the protocol and releases a third-party program with similar functionality.
How to record a video from the screen of an iOS device
Increasingly, many users are wondering how to record what is happening on the screen of an iOS device. We will not argue why this is necessary. there can be many reasons. Let’s better see how you can implement this with minimal costs on our part.
First of all, let’s give credit to Apple for taking care of the users with the amazing AirPlay Mirroring feature. This iOS feature makes it easy to broadcast the action that unfolds on the screen of your smartphone or tablet to Apple TV. But skillful developers decided to add another way to use AirPlay Mirroring. recording video from the screen. Just what we need.
So let’s get started. But first about the requirements. First of all, we need a computer. The operating system can be OS X (10.7 or newer) or Windows (XP or newer). Then, make sure we are using the correct iOS device. For our purposes, you need an iPad 2, 3, 4 and mini, an iPhone 4S or 5, and a 5th generation iPod Touch. And finally, the last condition. Your devices must be connected to the same local network.
If there are no difficulties at the previous point, then we proceed to the next stage of preparation. Download the Reflector app from the official website. The program is paid, but even the demo version allows you to record up to 10 minutes of video, which is more than enough for most of us. Reflector is available in both OS X and Windows versions. After installing the program on your computer and in order to avoid problems in the future, make sure that your firewall is not blocking Reflector.
Now let’s turn to the program settings. First, you need to select the device from which you are going to record video. Then you can select the playback mode: full screen or in a window, as well as select the background colors for the video. In addition, in the settings you can see the rate of frames per second.
After all the preparations are made, let’s turn to our iOS device. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned on and connected to the same network as the computer, and then bring up the multitasking panel. We do one left-to-right swipe for the iPad and two for the iPhone and iPod Touch. In addition to the traditional elements, we find there a new button. this is AirPlay Mirroring. We boldly press it and we see the device selection dialog. Here you need to select the name of your computer, then Mirroring or Video replay will appear, here we just activate the switch.
After a couple of seconds, a copy of the screen of your device will appear on the computer screen, which will reflect any of your actions with the gadget. Please note that the sound is no longer played from the device speaker, but from the computer speakers. The only thing left is to turn on the recording. In the case of OS X, click Device. Start Recording, in the case of Windows, you will need to right-click directly on the broadcast image.
After that, the recording will begin, which, let me remind you, in the unregistered version of the program is 10 minutes. Video recording can be stopped at any time by pressing the same sequence as when you started recording. After that, Reflector will immediately offer to save the resulting video, indicating the name. We press save and wait a couple of minutes for the video to be saved. That’s it, the recording is ready.
How to record video from iPad and iPhone screen
Some users wonder how to record video directly from iPad and iPhone screen. If earlier, to solve such a problem, it was required to jailbreak Apple gadgets, today there are several options for recording video from the screen without this procedure. Popular methods include:
- Reflector 2,
All of these methods work without jailbreak, so now let’s look at the step-by-step steps for each of them.
Reflector 2 Instruction
Also a paid program with a trial, when all captured videos will have a watermark. Video quality is average, and the free period is limited to 7 days at a cost of 14.99.
- Download Reflector 2 (Mac / Windows).
- Launch the downloaded shell and click “Try Reflector 2”, if you need to use the free version.
- Then we use the iPad (iPhone), where you should go to the “Control Center” and find “AirPlay”. The name of the PC should be displayed here in the list of devices.
- The screen broadcast will appear immediately after activating “Video Replay”.
- We press the button with the name “Record” located at the top right.
Another option for recording images from iPad and iPhone screens. but is able to show itself well only when buying.
Completely free utility available to every owner of Apple gadgets. But it’s difficult to talk about quality here, so this option is definitely not suitable for the gameplay. All captured videos will be automatically moved to the document folder.
- Load a file manager called iTools.
- Connect iPad (iPhone) to PC via USB and launch iTools.
- Next, open the “Tools” tab.
- There is a button here called “Live Desktop”.
- A window will be loaded, where there will be a corresponding button by recording.
Simple and affordable method, but not distinguished by special quality.
QuickTime is the best option for recording high-quality video footage. It is this program that is free for the Mac owner. will allow you to get the highest quality pictures from iPad and iPhone.
- We connect the gadget to the Mac. using the USB cable.
- Downloading QuickTime.
- Go to the “File” menu and select the “New entry” item.
- The program interface to the left of the recording start button provides the ability to select devices. Click on the checkbox and look for a mobile gadget. There will also be an opportunity to determine the source of the sound recording.
- We start recording by pressing the corresponding button.
Everything is simple and will require only 5 steps, and as a result, you will get a high-quality video from the iPad and iPhone.
This option is slightly worse than the previous one, because it can offer a lower quality video. At the same time, the program is free for only a week and this version cannot offer built-in video recording functionality. If you use the free version, there will be a watermark on the bottom right, and the purchase will cost 14.99.
- Loading AirServer (Mac / Windows).
- We launch the downloaded program and to use the test period without payment for 7 days there is a “Try” button.
- Then we move on to the “apple” gadget to the “Control Center”, where there will be “AirPlay”. Here, in the list of possible devices, the name of the PC will be located.
- As soon as the “Replay” is activated, AirServer will start broadcasting the screen of the mobile device.
- We use ODS. Fraps or CamStudio for recording, because the shell in the free modification has no built-in utilities.
This is an alternative option for capturing images from iPad and iPhone. slightly more demanding.
Conclusions on recording video from the iPad or iPhone screen
In modern conditions, this is absolutely not a difficult task that does not require special knowledge and skills. It is enough to download the program you like and configure the interaction of the gadget with the PC, and then it’s a matter of technology.
How to Record iPhone or iPad Screen Videos from Websites and Social Media
Sometimes you may need to record part of a video or a whole video from streaming services or social networks. To do this, you do not need to download special programs, because an iPhone or iPad will come to your aid.
- Unlock your iPhone
- Open a website or social network that interests you
- Find the video or page you want to record
- Get ready to record: turn on video, close all third-party tabs
- Quickly go to the Control Center by swiping down in the right corner
- Activate screen recording by clicking on the corresponding icon
- Remember! The video starts recording after a three-second wait.
- Wait until the video you want plays, and then stop the recording by going to the Control Center or by clicking on the red beacon
- The video should be saved in your photos
This method is useful because it helps save time and bypass some paid services. But we urge you to respect the copyright rule.
How to Record Your iPhone Screen in iOS 13
With the arrival of new versions of iOS on the iPhone and iPadOS for the iPad, recording video from the screen has become much easier, because now you only need to do a few manipulations to use it. If you still have not updated the version of the operating system to the latest supported version for some reason, then we strongly advise you to do this, because otherwise you will not succeed.
To start recording video from the screen of your iPhone or iPad, you also need to make sure that this function is in the Control Center and you can use it.
To do this, you need to do the following:
Unlock your device
2. Go to the system application “Settings”
3. Scroll down and click on the “Control Center” tab
4. Then go to the “Controls settings” tab
5. At the top you will see a list of functions that your smartphone supports.
6. If there is no “Screen Recorder” function, then you need to go down the list and find it
7. When the loss is found, click next to the function, then it will appear at the top, and you can continue to follow the instructions to record a video.
- Unlock your smartphone
- Open the Control Center panel by swiping down in the upper right corner of the screen or using the “Home” button
- Find an icon with a dot inside a circle
- Click this icon
- After three seconds of countdown, the screen recording from your device will start
- When screen recording is activated, you will see a red bar or small red ball on the screen
- When you finish recording the screen, you need to click on the same red bar or bring up the Control Center with a swipe down
- The video should be saved to your Gallery. You can go and edit it or view.
Attention! In some cases (applications), this method only records the screen itself, not what you say or how your smartphone sounds.
Record iPhone or iPad screen using apps
You can also use apps from the Apple Store that offer screen recording. But they can take up space or be inconvenient to use.
Here are some of the best apps and links in the Apple Store to download them:
Screen Recorder can be downloaded from the Apple Store here
DU Recorder can be downloaded from the Apple Store here
Display Screen Recorder can be downloaded from the Apple Store here
Basically. these applications are very easy to manage and do not require a lot of memory. Therefore, if none of the above methods suits you. use applications.
How to Record iPhone Screen Video
We will tell you how to record video from the screen of your iPad or iPhone in simple (and not so) ways, so that you are always armed and know how to catch a “bug” or a favorite moment from the video.
Your iPhone and iPad can do much more than you think. Fun features, highlights, and more. Today we will analyze how to create a video recording from the screen of your iPad or iPhone. This will be useful if you “caught” some strange glitch and want to show it in the service center or send it to support, and also if you want to share some important information with your friends, but one screenshot is not enough. It will also be interesting for gamers who love mobile games and wish to blog on YouTube.
If you need professional help with any iPhone system / technical issues, you can contact the iLab Service Center.
How to Record Screen Videos on iOS 10 or Earlier
With these versions, everything is bad, but there is still a way out. And it is about using QuickTime on your Mac to record screen from iPhone or iPad.
To do this, you will have to suffer a little:
- First of all you need to open QuickTime on your Mac
- Right click on the application icon or use the menu to select “New Video Recorder”
- Connect your iPhone or tablet to PC
- Attention! Remember to confirm pairing on your device.
- In QuickTime, click the arrow to the right of the record button to open the settings menu
- Select your smartphone or tablet in the settings
- A picture from the screen of your device should appear on the screen
- Now you can record the screen of your smartphone or tablet via Mac
We hope that our instruction helped you cope with the problem of recording video from the screen.
How to record video from the screen on a computer, laptop and smartphone
Many streaming sites block the ability to download video clips. If you want to have access to your favorite movie at any time and not depend on the Internet, screen capture software will come to the rescue. They will also be useful for the creators of web courses and videos in the letplay genre. Read our article to learn how to capture video from your computer or smartphone screen.
There are two ways to capture video from the desktop of your computer: using the built-in capabilities of the system or a special program. These options differ in feature set.
No programs in Windows 10
Screen Record iOS. How to Record Your iPad Screen
The latest version of Windows includes the option to record your screen from Xbox. Although in fact it was created to capture the gaming process, it can be used to record actions in any window.
To launch the built-in option, press the G and Win keys (Windows icon) at the same time. The capture function works only with an active open window or program, so first open a browser or start a video.
Press the red button to start recording. To open additional settings, click the nut icon.
The recorded video will be automatically saved in the “Videos” folder in the “Clips” subfolder.
This option is convenient because you can record video from the PC screen without additional software. But there is no control over the result in it. Use Xbox if you need to quickly capture games or browser action.
Using the On-Screen Camera software
Using a special recorder is useful if you want to create a full-fledged video with music or voice acting and edit the video. Screen Camera is perfect if you don’t want to waste time on complicated, overloaded professional software. The program launches quickly and runs on Windows 7, 8, 10 and XP versions. The recorder is not demanding and practically does not load the system. Other benefits include:
To record actions on the monitor using this program, follow a few simple steps.
Install “Screen Camera”
Adjust the parameters
The capture control panel will open. Set audio capture in the appropriate item and specify whether you will connect a microphone. Then select the appropriate mode.
After selecting the mode, click the “Burn” button. To stop the process, use the F10 key.
Edit the video
Immediately after the capture is complete, you can modify the created entry. To open the built-in editor, click “Edit” in the player window. Here you can:
The editor interface is extremely simple, so there will be no problems with mastering the functionality.
Export the clip
It remains to save the finished video. To do this, open the “Create Video” tab. Screen Camera allows you to save the result as AVI, MP4, MOV, WMA and other popular formats. You can also export a video file for a smartphone or tablet, optimize for the Internet, send to YouTube or burn a movie to disk.
Sometimes you may need to record your mobile phone screen. The methods described below will help you cope with this task if you are the owner of an iOS smartphone or tablet.
We use built-in capabilities
The latest versions of iPhones have a built-in screen recording feature so you don’t need to install additional apps. The captured videos are saved to the Photos folder. The downside is that you won’t be able to edit the video.
Open Settings, then go to the Control Center section. After that find “Customize Controls”.
2. Mark “Screen Recorder” with a plus.
3. Return to the home screen and swipe up from the bottom with your finger. This will open the control panel.
4. Find the “Screen Recorder” button in the bottom row and click on the circle to start capturing.
Using third-party applications is more convenient because you can process the recorded clip. DU Recorder allows you to record what is happening on the iPhone screen, start a live stream and connect multiple devices.
Download DU Recorder App from App Store.
2. Add the function of recording to the desktop, as in the previous method.
3. Bring up the menu with control elements and press the record button. Select DU Recorder.
4. Click “Start Broadcast”. The application will start recording everything that happens on the phone.
5. To interrupt the recording, open the control panel and click “Stop broadcasting”.
6. Open the app and go to the “Video” section.
7. Highlight the video and find “Share” in the bottom pane, then “Save Video”. The clip will be exported to the “Photos” folder.
It should be noted that the DU Recorder app is available for iPhones with iOS 11 and above.
In the case of an Android smartphone, we will be using the Mobizen app. It has a minimalist design and produces high quality videos. The difference between the program is that it allows you to capture what is happening in the background.
The downside of the free version of the app is that it loads a lot of ads even when you’re not using it.
How to choose the right option
The choice of a monitor recorder depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to create a short video for Instagram, mobile apps are enough for you. However, any other video requires additional processing.
Therefore, the “Screen Camera” becomes the best choice (you can download the software here). There is no time limit, so you can record marathons of TV shows or gamers’ walkthrough literally for hours. And the built-in editor will help you get rid of unnecessary video fragments and process the audio track.
How to record screen video with OBS Studio
Text articles and step-by-step instructions are a thing of the past. Today, almost no one reads such sources, everyone prefers watching video tutorials and guides.
over, some applications or games are so dynamic that it is impossible to describe them in words, but displaying information in video format is easy.
This article will tell you how to record video from the screen using OBS Studio in the Windows operating system, we will also tell you how to properly configure video encoding codecs, audio device configuration, data output to the final file.
- Simple mode. simple encoding and recording settings.
- Advanced mode. more detailed encoding and recording settings.
Output resolution: the resolution in which the video will be recorded, regardless of the resolution of the monitor from which it is recording. If you decrease the resolution, the load on the processor will be less.
- Bilinear. the fastest filter, but blurry when scaling.
- Lanczos method. works slower, but the quality is better and more resources are used too, clear scaling.
- Bicubic. 16 samples crisp scaling.
General FPS values: the number of frames per second in the video. For weak computers, it is recommended to select a value of 30, and for powerful computers, it is recommended to select 60 fps.
In this section of the settings, you can configure keyboard shortcuts to quickly enable and disable audio recording.
Set the keys in the items “Turn on sound on click”, “Start recording” and “Stop recording”, now your voice will be heard only after you hold down and hold the “” key, as soon as you release the microphone, it turns off, and also turns on and stop recording.
When everything is set up, you can start recording. It is recommended to conduct several test recordings to see the quality of the files, how often interference occurs.
If you want to record good quality video, you will inevitably need an external sound card or sound interface to reduce the load on the built-in sound system, as well as a good video card that will allow you to record video at high frames per second and high resolution.
Let’s take a look at the step-by-step instructions for recording a video with sound:
When the program is launched, you need to select source for capturing:
We select the source you are interested in, for this you need to click on the plus in the sources window:
For examples You have selected “Screen Capture”. In this case, the program will capture everything that happens on the screen.
OBS-Studio Studio offers the user several encoders to choose from:
- software (x264). an encoder that uses the processor itself (most streamers prefer it):
- hardware (NVENC). encoder that uses the video processor (works if an NVIDIA video card with CUDA technology is installed);
- hardware (QSV). encoder that uses the Intel processor graphics chip.
Let’s take a closer look at the encoders below:
Encoder settings x264:
- bitrate control. bitrate operation settings:
- VBR. variable bit rate;
- CBR. constant bitrate;
- ABR. average bitrate;
- CRF. bit rate determined by the average CRF value.
NVENC encoder settings:
- bitrate control. bitrate settings:
- VBR. variable bit rate;
- CBR. constant bitrate;
QSV encoder settings:
- Target Usage. This parameter indicates the level of hardware utilization by the encoder:
- Quality. Quality;
- Balanced. Balanced;
- Speed - Fast.
We select the format for recording audio-video and images. It is recommended to use the following mov, MP4, quicktime, FLV. These formats provide good compression with no visible loss of quality on most devices.
One of the best free software for recording games and broadcasting streams online. On first launch, select “Optimize for Write Only”.
Next, you need to specify the screen resolution (it is determined automatically), the frame rate (for the best quality, select 60 FPS) and apply the settings.
In the program window, in the Sources panel, click on the
A window will open showing your screen and setting the cursor motion capture setting.
Click on “Start Recording” to start.
To end shooting, click on “Stop recording”.
- Capture video in high definition (no loss of quality).
- Optimization for passing games.
- Broadcast to YouTube, Twitch services.
- Lots of setup instructions.
- Russian interface.
- First you need to select an area of the screen.
- In the “Sound” tab, select source if you want to shoot a video with sound.
- To start, click on “Start recording” or use the hotkey F11.
To stop, click “End recording” or use the hotkey F10.
Click on “Save to file” to save to your computer.
- The software does not put a watermark in the free version.
- Simplicity and ease of use.
The Xbox app is already installed on Windows 10 Home and Pro editions. You can also install it yourself through the Microsoft Store or from the official website.
To use, you need an account at microsoft.com.
Go to the Recordings panel. It will show your game videos and screenshots.
Press the Windows key and G key.
The screen capture settings panel will open. Clicking on the “rec” icon will start recording video. You can activate the microphone by clicking on the corresponding icon.
- Optimized for gaming.
- Capture the screen without losing quality.
In the main window, select one of the shooting modes. Click the Start Recording button or the F12 key.
To stop and save, press the “Stop Recording” button or the F12 key.
By default, all files are written to Documents. Bandicam.
- Intuitive and clear interface.
- Optimized capture settings.
- Great opportunities for shooting games and applications.
Cons: in free mode, overlays a watermark.
- Free Screen Video Recorder (dvdvideosoft.com)
- Free Cam (ispring.ru)
- Screen Recorder (movavi.ru)
The principle is identical for everyone: select an area, press the capture button or hotkey, perform actions on the screen, stop the process and save the file.
If you want to remove the actions performed in the browser, it is not necessary to install additional software. You can download a free browser extension. I’ll show you two convenient plugins for Google Chrome.
How to record video from the screen
In this tutorial, I will show you how to record video from a computer screen and a phone. The topic will be useful to everyone who plans to create training videos, shoot the passage of games, record their actions on PC and mobile.
VirtualDub is used to edit video files. Additionally, the program has a capture tool.
Go to the “File” menu, click on “Capture AVI”.
Open the “Device” menu and select “Screen Capture”.
A small square with a screen image will appear in the corner.
Go to the “Video” menu, select “Set custom format”.
Click on “Custom size” and set the screen resolution (to capture the entire area).
To reduce the load on the CPU, disable preview. To do this, go to the “Video” menu, set “No Display”.
Set the compression settings: in the “Video” menu go to “Compression”, you can select the codec “Logarith Lossless Codec”.
Go to the “File” menu, select the “Set capture file” item to create a file.
To start capturing, go to the Capture. Capture Video menu or press the F5 hotkey.
To stop in the “Capture” menu, select “Stop Capture” or press the Esc hot key.
- The program is available in a portable version and is lightweight.
- Editing capabilities of the finished material.
- Officially available in English.
- Difficulty in setting.
After installation, you need to log in with your Google account or register for the service. In the next step, you will be prompted to allow access to the camera and drawing tools while shooting.
At the end, you will be asked to fill in information about yourself. can be skipped by clicking on “Other”.
Then restart your browser and click on the extension icon. Select one of the shooting modes and press “Record”.
Specify “Full Screen” and click “Share”.
A new tab will open in which you can trim, view and save the resulting video.
How to Record Mac Screen in QuickTime Player
If you need to record a video of what is happening on the Mac screen, then you can do this using QuickTime Player. a program that is already in MacOS, that is, you do not need to search and install additional programs for basic screencast creation.
Below is how to record a video from the screen of your MacBook, iMac or other Mac in this way: there is nothing complicated here. An unpleasant limitation of the method is that when you cannot record a video with the sound being played at that moment (but you can record the screen with the sound of a microphone). Please note that Mac OS Mojave has a new additional method, described in detail here: Record video from the Mac OS screen. Also useful: great free HandBrake video converter (for macOS, Windows and Linux).
Using QuickTime Player to Record MacOS Screen Videos
First you need to launch QuickTime Player: use Spotlight search or simply search for the program in Finder, as shown in the screenshot below.
Next, it remains to follow these steps to start recording Mac screen and save the recorded video
- On the top menu bar, click File and select New Screen Recording.
- The Mac Screen Recorder dialog box will open. It does not offer the user any special settings, but: by clicking on the small arrow next to the record button, you can enable sound recording from the microphone, as well as displaying mouse clicks in the screen recording.
- Click on the red round record button. A notification will appear prompting you to either simply click on it and record the entire screen, or select with the mouse or trackpad the area of the screen that you want to record.
- When finished recording, click the “Stop” button, which will be displayed in the process in the MacOS notification bar.
- A window will open with the already recorded video, which you can immediately view and, if desired, export to YouTube, in and not only.
- You can simply save the video to a location convenient for you on your computer or laptop: this will be automatically offered to you when you close the video, and is also available in the “File”. “Export” menu (here you can select the video resolution or the device for playback on which it should be kept).
As you can see, the process of recording video from the Mac screen with the built-in tools of MacOS is quite simple and will be understandable even for a novice user.
Although this recording method has some limitations:
- Inability to record playback sound.
- Only one format for saving video files (files are saved in QuickTime.mov format).
One way or another, for some non-professional applications, it may be a suitable option, since it does not require the installation of any additional programs.
May come in handy: The best programs for recording video from the screen (some of the programs presented are available not only for Windows, but also for macOS).