Eye on the spoiler: do it yourself rear view camera! How to avoid squint
The parking assist system has two main components. video cameras (this is a kind of eyes of the system) and devices with a display on which the image is displayed.
All car camcorders have a similar design: a set of lenses plus a photosensitive matrix. They produce a color image of not very high quality. Due to the nature of the video signal processing, the resolution usually does NOT exceed 0.3 megapixels. But this is quite enough to recognize a parking bollard or a pedestrian. It is better to install the camera higher: both the view is wider and less dirty.
One of the options for its placement on a station wagon, hatchbacks, crossovers, vans. trim or plafond of an additional brake light. For this, a mortise camera with latches or an external one on a bracket is suitable. Adjust the “eye” so that the edge of your car falls into the bottom of the image on the screen. bumper, tailgate or towbar layer.
If you don’t want to mess around with installing the camera, buy a number frame with an already built-in “eye”. However, this option is only suitable for vehicles with a high number plate. If the registration plate is on the bumper, it is better to abandon the idea. from a half-meter height it is difficult to perceive what is happening, moreover, the peephole will constantly be a horsefly. In order not to encounter “squint”, do not install such a camera on cars where the number is off-center. These are, for example, vans with swing doors and SUVs with a side opening door. For many cars, they offer a video camera combined with a license plate light. They are the easiest to install, they look aesthetically pleasing, but with similar characteristics, they are more expensive than others.
Video system components
When choosing a camera, it is worth paying attention to the video signal standard. PAL or NTSC. The standards for cameras and display should NOT differ, otherwise, as they say, “kiná will not be”.
Where to look?
The camera was chosen. we pass to the receiving devices showing the picture from the video camera. This can even be a video recorder that has a second (rear) camera and displays the image from it on its display. It’s very difficult to see anything on such a small screen.
Another thing is when the picture is displayed on a 2 DIN multimedia device (standard or installed additionally). It is usually equipped with a six to seven inch display and allows you to connect a rear view camera. It remains to provide a signal to this device, and also inform him that the reverse gear is on.
On sale also offer separate monitors with a screen diagonal of no more than five inches, which are mounted on the dashboard. But in a modern car, the front panel is already crammed with equipment. Therefore, another solution seems to be interesting, rather inexpensive (and compact): you can use a rear-view mirror with a monitor that comes to life only when power and video signal are supplied.
You need to connect the two devices with a video cable. This is quite troublesome, since the cable will have to be passed through a mobile connection. opening door or trunk lid. We recommend routing the cable under the roof lining: it is much easier than wading along the sills of the car, where an abnormal cable may be prone to chafing.
A more convenient solution. transmit the image over the radio channel. By purchasing a so-called radio module. Power, like the video signal, it receives from the camera and broadcasts it at a radio frequency to the receiving device, which gives a signal to the display. The radio module will cost one and a half thousand, but will save time during installation.
We purchased two video systems and tried to install them on the Lada Largus station wagon. Its back part gets dirty quickly, so I placed one camera at the top of the tailgate and the other. on heated glass, so that it looks out through the area cleaned by the wiper. The “glazed” camera was fixed to the door flange with screw clamps, but you can just glue it to the glass. Likewise, place the camera on SUVs, crossovers, and commercial vans with an almost vertical tailgate.
The signal transmission from the video camera to the front of the car was organized through a radio module. The power supply of the video camera and the radio module can be supplied from the reversing lamp. But we, in order not to pull the “positive” wire through the corrugation from the lamp to the door, took power from the rear wiper motor. On its pads there is a “minus” and “plus”, which appears immediately when the ignition is turned on. The camera and transmitter will operate continuously while the ignition is on. You should not worry about the resource. street cameras generally work around the clock for many years.
They decided to display the picture on a rear-view mirror with a five-inch screen. The radio module was placed under the roof lining, having penetrated there through the hole under the interior lighting shade, which is installed on almost all cars.
It is better to power the mirror and the front radio module from the wiring harness that goes to the rear of the car. It is necessary, armed with an electrical circuit or a tester, to find a “positive” wire to the reversing lights. now the picture in the mirror will come to life only when the “reverse” is turned on. And you will NEVER do an emergency stern mooring.
How to disassemble and repair a car rear view camera with your own hands
Failure of the rear view camera. bad news for a driver who is used to using such accessories when parking a car. To fix the breakdown, you need to find the cause and consider Possible options for repairing the rear view camera.
Causes of breakdowns
It is difficult for a modern driver to do without professional parking equipment and related accessories. When driving through a densely populated city with high traffic and many obstacles, it is important to keep your parking highly secure. For this, different camera models are used.
Sometimes motorists complain that the appliance stops working after washing the car. The trouble is explained by the ingress of water droplets on it, which are supplied under high pressure. Under intense exposure, the camera may become unusable or ineffective. Similar problems occur after a long drive in rainy or snowy weather.
If the system stops working in winter, it may be covered with ice, frost or snow. If there are no signs of such phenomena, it is necessary to inspect the connector. in winter, metal parts freeze and even deform. If you have any concerns, the next step will be a complete diagnosis of the camera. You can do it yourself or entrust the procedure to a specialist.
The cause of breakage is often damage to the connecting wires going from the on-board computer directly to the camera.
If the device transmits a signal using wireless interfaces, the problem is eliminated. In this case, you will need to assess the performance of the batteries.
If your car camera fails, there is no need to despair. Most of the time, the problem is minor and you can fix it yourself. But before that, you need to diagnose the system and find the reason for the refusal to work.
The first step is to remove the connector and wipe it with a dry cloth. The inside is dried with a hairdryer or other similar devices. Then the connector is installed back, after which the system is checked for functionality. If the problem persists, you will need to conduct a deeper diagnosis.
The next step involves using a multimeter. The parameter “Resistance” is set on the device, after which it is connected directly to the connector. If the resistance is at the level of one, there is a high probability that the camera has been damaged and needs to be replaced.
If there are defects in the picture or loss of display quality, you must make sure that there are traces of water on the camera. Diagnostics is carried out after disassembling the bumper and dismantling the system.
How to disassemble
To find the reason for the malfunction of the parking equipment, it is necessary to disassemble the view camera. Step-by-step disassembly instructions will help you solve the problem without any problems. At the diagnostic stage, you should consult a person who has already dismantled or disassembled the camera.
Before starting the repair, you need to disassemble the system, following the following instructions:
- If there is no signal at all, the camera must be removed from the installation site. To do this, you will need to dismantle the entire skin.
- First of all, the panel is disassembled, under which there are bolts. With their help, the main part of the skin layer is fixed. Further below it, you can find 4 nuts connecting the trunk handle. Self-tapping screws are used to mount the camera. 2 self-tapping screws fix the camera itself, and 2.connection connector.
If the car’s rearview camera stops working, the driver has two choices to fix the problem:
- Seek help from a car repair technician.
- Do-it-yourself device repair.
The second option is more in demand due to its availability and low cost.
To restore an accessory after washing or driving in bad weather, it is enough to dry it with a hairdryer or other method. In most cases, this solves the problem and the system works fine again.
The device can also become covered with a layer of dirt, which adheres tightly to it and dries out. You can get rid of dirt with a brush.
If, during the diagnosis, traces of corrosion were found, they will have to be removed. In this case, you can not disassemble the device, and without eliminating such a phenomenon.
Most camera models have two gaskets. One is located on the glasses of the device, and the other is installed at the junction of the plastic and metal parts. If the gaskets have been damaged as a result of prolonged and intensive use, they must be replaced.
Reassembly of the instrument is carried out upside-down. The joints are treated with a sealant.
If, after performing such actions, the picture does not appear on the screen, and there is no signal from the device, there may have been a failure in the software of the multimedia system, which receives and processes data from the device. Before you go to the auto repair shop, you should carry out the following actions:
- Try restarting your multimedia system. This is done using the built-in Reset button located at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, you need to enable the “RDS” function in the settings menu.
- If possible, you should update the software or reset the factory settings in the appropriate menu item.
There are special difficulties in the diagnosis and repair of the rear view system. The main thing. find the cause of failures and choose the best repair option.
In the absence of a desire to engage in self-repair or more complex injuries, it is better to contact a specialist. An employee of the service center will thoroughly check the device, tell you about possible repair methods, or recommend installing a new camera.
How to install a rear view camera on a car (connection diagram)
Novice drivers still have a poor feel for the dimensions of their car, which is why, in very cramped circumstances, parking difficulties arise. Also, experienced drivers, in search of a parking place in unfamiliar places, may come upon a fitting sticking out of the ground or other obstacle, therefore, in order to protect yourself, your own and neighboring cars from a visit to the service station, you should purchase a rear view camera.
What are the rear view cameras for a car
It should be noted here that in luxury cars and premium trim levels, it often comes by default and is tightly integrated into the multimedia complex.
But car owners without this option will have to choose and mount the device on their own. In addition, if a monitor is not provided, then you need to take care of its purchase.
But first, it’s worth familiarizing yourself with the types of cameras that the modern market offers:
- A universal option. The richest selection can be found in this niche. How to choose from such a variety below.
By itself, this format is convenient in that it will suit absolutely any car. The bottom line is that the kit includes a small lens in a waterproof case and a wire. You can connect it to a monitor, phone or car radio.
- Built into the license plate. Almost the same as the option above, the only difference is in the aesthetic component.
Not everyone will like a black box with a lens sticking out at the stern, and in this case the camera is almost imperceptible (it is better to use it on car models with a high license plate).
- Established or factory. Sometimes it’s wiser to purchase a camera from a car manufacturer.
Indeed, often premium configurations receive a camera as an option, wired, for example, into one body with a brake light or a license plate light. Only in this case you will have to change the entire light source.
In any case, the installation instructions will be similar. It remains only to pay attention to the technical characteristics of the lens described below.
Choice and purchase
When buying, it is worth considering the following nuances.
- Chamber working temperature range. Relevant for residents of Siberia.
- The presence of dust and moisture protection corresponding to the operational features. Ideal IP66 or IP67.
- Viewing angle. The camera must show at least 120 degrees in order to see the boundaries of nearby cars.
- Image quality. It will be more convenient to use a device with a color transmission and capable of night mode.
- Signal standard. For THESE purposes, the PAL or NTSC protocols are usually used. If they differ in the monitor and camera, then there can be no talk of any interaction.
- The presence of markup. Some models have a built-in algorithm that applies the markings of the parking lot and the dimensions of the car directly to the reproduced picture.
Note! In fact, if the camera does not broadcast the markings, then, as most users claim, the device becomes almost useless.
How to install yourself
In principle, the installation of the camera does not apply to serious interference with the equipment, therefore, car owners often do this work on their own.
How to do this is given below.
It is also important to talk about the location of the camera. Thanks to the experience of those who have already dealt with this device, it can be noted that:
- The installation height should be from half a meter and above, otherwise it will be more difficult to navigate;
- Usually, for THESE purposes, the license plate light is chosen in the center of the trunk (if we are talking about a passenger car)
- If this is a van with a double tailgate and an offset license plate, then you should think about arranging a second seat, but also respecting the height conditions.
You can also consider the option popular in recent years on the market with the purchase of a license plate frame with a built-in lens. Suitable only in case of a high location of the room.
Let’s summarize. Optimal installation location. meter from the ground, strictly in the center. If the design features make it possible to “hide” it in any niche in order to avoid unnecessary rainfall and splashes, subject to the above conditions, then this will be the ideal option.
If you purchase a camera from a radio signal, then you DO NOT have to touch the interior trim, and not counting torpedoes.
Therefore, we will analyze the choice of a typical car owner. the camera is connected with wires to the multimedia screen built into the torpedo (or purchased additionally with a touchscreen installed on the brackets).
Installation work includes the following steps:
- Remove the trunk trim (partly along the path of the wires).
- Remove the trim in the passenger compartment along the path of the wires of the rear lights.
- Remove the monitor from the torpedo.
- Drill the mounting holes (usually it is enough to make a hole in the mounting location).
- Install the device on the latches or bolts (depending on the model purchased).
- Connect the wires according to the instructions described below.
Important! Basically, the trim elements are kept on clips and latches. Disassemble slowly, using a minimum of effort so as not to damage the factory mounts.
If the desired element is seated on the sealant, tearing is not necessary. How to lay the wires, will be in more detail below.
The camera comes with one RCA wire with a red and yellow tulip.
Connection is possible as follows:
- Find the tailgate power wire.
- Using a multimeter and control (light bulb) set “” and check the voltage (12V).
- Connect a wire with a black plug (included in the kit) to the red tulip. It also has red and black wires. Connect the red wire to the “” size, black to any nut (ground). On this we leave the red tulip alone.
Connect the yellow RCA to a long wire, which will then go to the salon to the monitor.
Note! Before starting work on connecting the camera, you must disconnect the battery.
In order not to make unnecessary holes and get by, so to speak with “little blood” is to pull the wires (yellow tulip for connection to the monitor) from the corrugation in the trunk, through which the wires from the lamps also go.
For this you need:
- Take a thick wire 30 cm.
- Make a hook on it.
- Fix a tulip on it.
- Before that, put on heat shrink.
- Warm up the assembled structure so that the heat shrinkage shrinks.
After that, this structure (you can additionally coat it with oil) will be easily threaded through all the engineering holes through which the wires from the rear dimensions go.
In the cabin, it is already worth starting from the situation. If there is room, it is best to pull the RCA floor over the door seal. If not, then on the threshold from the driver’s side.
After completing the routing step and leading the long cord to the front console, it remains to wind it (you can also use a wire) to the back of the monitor.
The latter is usually also installed on latches, which must be carefully bent.
The yellow tulip plugs into the corresponding color RCA connector of the monitor.
Also, there is a similar red wire from it, it must be connected to a wire marked “Reverse”, which can be seen after dismantling the monitor.
System setup and check
DO NOT rush to install the monitor and interior trim. You need to check if the connection is correct.
To do this, first you should not forget to connect the battery back, and then it is enough to start the engine and turn on the reverse speed. The power will go to the taillights and the camera should turn on automatically.
How to install a rear view camera on a car
The parking system of a modern car involves the installation of a rear-view camera, which helps the driver to visually monitor the “blind spots” when reversing. The image is displayed automatically on any compatible display or on-board head unit when the transmission is switched on. Competent selection and installation of a parking system with a video camera allows you to provide a viewing angle of up to 180 ° in the dark with a high-definition HD picture.
What are the rear view cameras for a car
Devices differ in the type of signal transmission, matrix resolution, installation location and compatibility with other accessories in the car (parktronic, video recorder, multimedia complex):
- Universal. for installation in any accessible place with a wide viewing angle;
- Numbered. built into the frame of the license plate;
- Original. Designed to fit into the rear parts of the body specifically for certain car brands.
Number frame camera
Here is the location of the camera depends on its functionality: installed too low from the road surface will often be covered with road dust, mud with complete loss of image. Universal devices require a prepared site. it is necessary to drill a bumper, rear lamp or trunk, followed by adjustment and processing of body elements. Ready-made standard frames with a license plate camera are suitable only for those cars where the license plate is located more than half a meter from the roadway.
The main rule when installing a universal rear view camera. central location more than 50 cm from the ground.
The best choice. this is a specially designed device for a specific car, which takes into account the dimensions, mounting location, viewing angle and resolution parameters so that the parking lines on the display coincide with the parking sensors distance data, and the picture accurately conveys the “blind zone”.
By the type of matrix classification, which is responsible for image quality, cameras are distinguished:
- СMOS (соmplеmentary metal-Оxidе-Semicоnductоr). type of photosensitive matrix on a built-in transistor with high speed up to 500 frames per second and low power consumption.
- CСD (charge-couplеd dеvicе). charging feedback matrix with high sensitivity, 100% pixel ratio and low light noise.
- CCD HD. enhanced high definition performance.
Devices based on CMOS require additional lighting, taking into account the type of light source. an ordinary taillight or LED backlight will give glare in the dark, for better light transmission they are supplied with an infrared light source.
CCD marking means higher quality parameters that DO NOT need light filtering, HD works in megapixel modes, transmitting High detail, comparable to analog digital video.
When choosing the type of matrix, it is worth considering the recommendations for use. more sophisticated devices are susceptible to low temperatures, influenced by the environment (road reagents) and more often fail. The best specimens are made in a sealed waterproof case, the optics are covered with a special compound that excludes the formation of hoarfrost, condensation on the surface of the camera “eye”.
Where to install the rear view camera on the car
Selection of the installation site. the most important condition on which the correctness and efficiency of the camera depends. Many cars have standard installation holes, they can be found in the technical description, which also provides installation instructions and recommendations for parameters. In the case of an independent choice of a place, visibility and protection from dirt are taken into account.
- Bumper. choose a central place as high as possible from the road surface;
- In the license plate light element;
- In the back of the body or trunk, strictly in the center
- Any part of the outrigger bracket;
- Towbar (suitable for SUVs with high ground clearance).
Before installation, it is important to properly prepare the cut-outs in order to avoid corrosion when using self-tapping screws and to pre-adjust the visibility. After installation, the fasteners should be treated on both sides with an anti-corrosion compound and sealant.
How to install the camera correctly
Depending on the type of signal transmission, the cameras are wireless and connected to the RCA-connectors of the main device (DVR, rear-view mirror display, monitor). Wireless in some cases require an additional component. radio module, their resolution in comparison with signal transmission in the PAL and NTSC video standards is lower. Wired cables are better protected from interference, but require cable routing throughout the cabin. Installation wires Must correspond to the parameters of the on-board network, ready-made kits are usually sold complete with a camera.
- Drill (Screwdriver) with self-tapping screws.
- Set of wires.
- Soldering iron.
After the installation site has been chosen, they carefully study the connection diagram and prepare the places for laying the wires. At the same time, they pay attention to the protection against moisture ingress, rubbing at the junction of the trunk.
- The camera is installed on the prepared place, rather than fixing to the completion of the connection and setting the view.
- The cables are laid according to the connection diagram: the negative wire is fixed “to ground”, securely fixing it from the inside of the body using a bolted connection.
- The positive terminal is “powered” from the reversing light (when the reverse gear is turned on, the camera turns on) and the wire is pulled through the luggage compartment under the trim into the passenger compartment.
- Connect the tulips adapters to the RCA video connectors on the head unit.
- The joints are insulated and secured with clamps.
- A 10 Ampere fuse is installed at the output of the power wire.
- Turn on the parking system and set up visibility, and then fix the camera in place by treating with a sealant.
- Incorrect wiring and RCA connectors. there is no image on the monitor.
- The camera is fixed with a violation of the viewing angle. impossibility of customization.
- Poor attachment of the “eye” of the device. settings get lost after driving on irregularities.
- Friction of cables in places of bends (trunk lid). it is required to install an additional strobe (silicone, rubber).
- Incorrect installation of the wire to ground (ground). short circuits, failure, blown fuse.
- Incompatible video standards PAL or NTSC on the monitor.
- Selection of the matrix type and resolution is incorrect (inability to reproduce the quality on the display connection). blurry picture of poor quality.
How to install a rear view camera on a car with your own hands
DIY mounting a rear view camera on a car
The rear view camera allows you to avoid various troubles when moving backward, prevent accidents, and simplifies control when reversing. Together with the inclusion of the reverse speed, the monitor lights up, we show what is behind the car. Better camera visibility than a rear-view mirror.
Self-installation of a rear view camera is not centuries difficult, it will help you save money. There are differences in different models, but small.
Which model to choose?
DO NOT save too much, because a high-quality product will last longer, will be more functional, with a better view and image, which will be more convenient and practical for you. It is desirable that the seller provides a guarantee of at least a year.
Please note that there are models created specifically for certain car brands, which take into account the peculiarities of these particular cars.
There are two types of devices:
- Video signals are transmitted via wires;
- Video signals are transmitted wirelessly by means of a transmitter with a receiver using Wi-Fi.
The second type is easier to install, connect, because no wiring is required. However, wireless models do not work with some types of radio tape recorders, therefore, before purchasing and trying to install a rear view camera on a car, carefully look at the instructions.Consult a specialist if it is suitable for your transport.
The main characteristics required for convenient control:
- Possibility of both black-and-white and color shooting, the presence of a switching mode;
- Sensitivity level, performance in the dark;
- Angle of view (120-180 degrees)
- Resolution for video recording;
- Lens protection;
- Parking markings (color marks of video shooting zones).
When choosing an installation site, the following factors are taken into account:
- How dirty this place is;
- Is the device visible there (to protect against theft and vandalism)
- Aesthetic location;
- Convenience for cleaning, wiping;
- Videography angle.
You should choose the most optimal angle for video shooting
It is convenient to mount the camera in place of the rear license plate light. Some manufacturers provide space for a camera next to the shades. On trucks, it is possible to fix the device on the roof, where it is protected from dirt, but it will not be so convenient to wipe it.
To increase the inconspicuousness of cameras, special brackets are made.
The tilt of the device should facilitate a wider view than through the mirror, the accessibility of places falling out of the mirror image. But try to mount so that objects on the monitor look without distortion, naturally.
Basic installation steps
Do-it-yourself device mounting usually involves the following steps:
- Site preparation;
- Installation of the car camera itself;
- Reverse lamp connection;
- Monitor connection.
The main difficulty is usually the installation of wires so that they become invisible.
Installing a camera instead of room lighting
On some models, like the Kia Cee’d (hatchback, station wagon), you can put a rear-view camera in place of the plafond that illuminates the number. The order of work will be as follows:
- Dismantle the rear door trim, for which Unscrew the fasteners near the hanging leather handle.
- Opened screws in the handles.
- Remove the upholstery from the caps.
- Section of connectors located on the rear door.
- Remove the rear door trim where you will mount the camera.
- Remove the room light.
- Put the camera in this place.
- Connect the lighting to the side light chain.
- Reinstall the outer trim.
- Connect “minus” to the trunk lid.
- Extend the power wires, connect them to the reversing lamp.
- Extend the cable going to the monitor by placing it in a corrugation with other wires going through the ceiling.
Fastening to the lighting bar
You can reinforce the camera rather than remove the cover below it. However, then it will stand out against the background of the license plate, will become noticeable from the outside. In order not to make unnecessary holes in the bumper, it is better to fix it on a bar with lighting lamps.
- Empty the trunk.
- Remove the license plate frame.
- Extend the camera leg if necessary. This can be done using a steel plate about 3×5 cm.
- Drill a hole for the lens.
- Pull the wiring harness into the luggage compartment through the plug located in the rear bumper area or the spare wheel.
- Remove the left side of the trunk lining, the decorative trim of the trunk sill, under which are the wires of the radio (a device for displaying the image on the monitor is connected to them).
- Provide access to the radio connectors; Connect the wires to the connectors according to the instructions supplied with the device.
- To provide power to the cameras, a plus is drawn to the rear left headlight. You can make a connection in the area of the torpedo.
- Lay the wiring using clips, fasteners.
- Perform a functional test of the device: it should turn on automatically when the reverse gear is engaged. If a picture appears on the monitor, then you have made the connection correctly.
- Put the elements of the machine back in place.
Replacing the trunk lock
The decision of where to install a rear view camera in a car depends largely on the design of the device itself. If the model resembles a door peephole and has a thread, then it is possible to install it in the place of the luggage lock.
- Mount the electric lock.
- Remove the luggage lock.
- Insert the camera, expanding the hole with a drill if necessary, then prime.
- Fit the wiring, Connect.
- Check camera operation. Adjust the image by extending the camera to the desired distance or twisting it back.
- Secure the chamber with a nut.
With this arrangement, the device is hardly noticeable, it gets less dirty compared to the location on the bumper, it gives a good overview.
By self-assembling rear-view cameras, you will save money, get the experience that you will probably come in handy. DO NOT save on this option, it is better to spend money on a camera than after paying for car repairs, the purchase will be much cheaper.
Installing the camera. a reasonable measure to prevent trouble, and with self-installation, it is not so expensive. Your driving will become comfortable, convenient, safe.
Do-it-yourself installation and connection of a rear view camera on a car
When parking in tight spaces, ultrasonic sensors or a video camera are used to monitor the space behind the car, which transmits the image to a monitor in the car. Installation of the rear view camera is carried out at the factory or in dealerships, but the owner can mount the equipment by himself.
Required tools and materials
The standard set of video cameras includes a basic set of materials used for installation work. But the Chinese-made equipment is equipped with wires and terminals of poor quality, which are recommended to be replaced. The set of tools depends on the design features, the method of installing and connecting the equipment. For example, there are video cameras integrated into a plastic frame for a license plate (Auto Expert VC-204 model).
In order to mount a camera with your own hands to view the space behind the car, you will need tools and materials:
- Cordless drill with a set of drills;
- Drawing set for marking;
- Patch cables and plugs;
- Hardware for fastening components;
- Accessories for removing the radio tape recorder, which is used to display the image on the display
- Insulation tape or heat shrink tubing.
Where and how to install
The equipment must be installed on the rear of the vehicle (for example, on the trunk lid instead of the license plate light). It is allowed to place equipment on the rear parcel shelf in the passenger compartment, but in this case the viewing angle is reduced (due to the luggage compartment cover). If the owner of the car has chosen a good place, then when driving in wet weather, the lens is NOT thrown with dirt, and when maneuvering in reverse, an overview of the space on the sides of the bumper is provided.
Preparing the installation site
Before installing the camera on a car, you need to prepare a place for installation.
If the product is planned to be placed instead of the room lighting plafond, then you need to remove the standard lamp and modify the resulting hole in accordance with the dimensions of the video camera body.
On some vehicles (such as vans), the equipment may be mounted on the top of the body where holes must be drilled. The edge is treated with a special compound that prevents the formation of corrosion.
To install a rear view camera on a car with your own hands, you must:
- Unpack the equipment and fix the product body in the rectangular hole for the backlight. The kit includes a rubber gasket; the product is held in a latch frame or screws. When using universal models manufactured in China, it may be necessary to refine the mating surfaces.
- Then we install the cable harness through which the power is supplied and the video signal is broadcast. In the design of the equipment, LEDs for illumination can be used, the cords are brought out into the interior of the car. The harness is closed with a corrugated tube, which is fastened to the load-bearing frame and the hinges of the lid using plastic clamps. It is allowed to use a regular corrugated cover to protect power cables.
- If a nozzle for supplying washer fluid is used in the lens design, then a flexible hose for water supply must be supplied. The tube is connected to the washer system; cleaning the lens at the same time removing dirt from the rear window.
- After completing the installation, it is necessary to check the reliability of fixing the elements; the connecting cord must NOT be stretched or broken when closing and opening the boot lid.
When using the wireless model, installation is simplified; the owner needs to mount the lens and correctly position the antenna to transmit the video signal to the receiver. If a frame with an integrated video camera is used, then the mount is carried out on a regular place for a license plate. Cables are routed inside the cover and then routed to the power points and car radio.
How to connect
In order to connect power and cables for signal transmission with your own hands, you need to analyze the switching circuit and disconnect the battery from the vehicle’s on-board network. It is not recommended to run the cords in the carpeting floor, as there is a risk of damage to the wiring by the driver’s or passengers’ feet. It is recommended to use plugs or twist to connect cables (twisted ends are insulated with PVC tape or shrink tubing).
The standard wiring diagram consists of several circuits:
- Broadcasting a video signal to a radio tape recorder or a separate monitor installed on the dashboard;
- Power supply to the video camera at the moment of engaging reverse gear;
- Ensuring the operability of the backlight LEDs.
Before connecting electrical circuits, it is recommended to check the operation of the camcorder by directly hooking the power cables to the cigarette lighter or battery while the engine is running. To properly connect the camera to the on-board network, you must lead the wire to the fuse box located under the dashboard. For switching, an insert is selected that is responsible for the operation of the reverse indication lamps. To reduce wiring length, cables can be connected to reversing lights.
When using parking sensors or a parking aid on the front and rear of the car, power is supplied from the controller located in the luggage compartment.
Regardless of the switching method, the grounding cord is attached to the car body in the luggage compartment (special bolts are provided in the design of cars for supplying a negative power signal). The backlight LEDs are connected in parallel with the main power circuit. Do not supply power to the camcorder all the time because the device is damaged.
Car cable routing
In order to independently lead the cables inside the car, you must:
- Dismantle the plastic linings in the doorways, opening access to the standard wiring.
- Route the cable from the trunk lid to the sills inside the pillars or under the side skirts of the trunk.
- Route the cords to the connection points in the dashboard. The multimedia headunit slides out of the assembly shaft; the cable must not contact the controls and interfere with the operation of the air conditioner.
The mounted camera is connected to a separate monitor or radio tape recorder using tulips, which are installed in the connectors provided for in the design. The power supply must be provided to power the separate shield. A well-supplied liquid crystal monitor does NOT block the view from the driver’s seat and is triggered when the reverse gear is engaged. Monitor is not powered when motor is suppressed and forward.
Rear view camera and monitor equipped with plugs made of plastic of the same color. Identical color coding allows you to correctly identify the purpose of the cables. After installing and connecting the components, the battery is connected to the on-board network and the review system is tested.
If a wireless camera is used, a signal receiver is connected to the monitor (the device requires switching to the on-board network). When using such equipment, you should take into account the delay between the moment the reverse gear is engaged and the appearance of the picture on the screen. A time interval of 3-4 seconds is required for initialization and pairing of the transmitting unit and the receiving device.
How to adjust
After the camcorder is installed and the wiring is installed, check the operation of the device and adjust the lens position. For adjustment, a flexible metal plate can be used to mount the equipment. A lens is used on some of the video cameras, which rotates from the body of the product. Additionally, you need to configure the head multimedia device that is used to display the picture.
Further adjustment in the car allows you to change the image resolution, as well as adjust the brightness and contrast. Based on the resulting image, the car owner can adjust the lens position, providing maximum delight in the space behind the body. Image mirroring is possible on a Pioneer radio tape recorder; to eliminate the defect, it is necessary to change the polarity of the signal warning of engaging reverse gear.
DIY rear view camera installation
In one of our articles (“How to install parking sensors with your own hands”), we have already talked about the control devices for the rear of the car during parking. But this option may seem clear to someone and, as a result, NOT effective. Indeed, if a thin column is located between the sensors, then its determination with the help of a parking sensor becomes problematic. It is much clearer to observe the complete picture of what is happening through the rear-view camera when you park in reverse. How to install and connect a reversing camera in order to have such objective visual information, we will talk in this article.
Which reversing camera to choose ?
The answer to this question will be individual for everyone. Everything will depend on what you have and what you want. So the simplest reversing cameras cost about 50. Of course, they will also help you when parking your car, but we would like to tell you about what you will be offered for a lot of money. First, I would like to say in the resolution of the camera. So almost all, even the cheapest camera options, guarantee the proper resolution, which is quite comfortable for viewing. Second, and more importantly, the camera must have good sensitivity. In fact, this is the ability of the reversing camera to work in low light conditions. So, cameras are produced that work only in sepia (b / w) mode, which makes the camera more sensitive, just for work at night. Third, the angle of view of the camera. So it starts from 120 degrees and goes up to 180 degrees. Of course, with a wider viewing angle, you are able to monitor a larger area when parking, than guaranteeing yourself safer reversing. But, with an excessively large view, a “panoramic effect” appears, which does not correspond to everyday perception, which may seem inconvenient to many. Fourth, the method of mounting the camera. So the cameras can be made stand-alone or built-in, for example, in a frame under the state registration mark. Fifth, if you already have a multimedia recorder (with an LCD screen), then you most likely will not need to take a monitor to display the picture from the camera. If you do not have such a radio tape recorder, and you do NOT plan to install it, then you will have to take the rear view camera with your own LCD monitor.
DIY rear view camera installation
And so, in our case, the simplest rear-view camera of the RM116B model is taken. Camera viewing angle 120 degrees. The primary task will be to mount the camera to the rear of the car. It is necessary that the rear-view camera is in the middle, covering the parking area to the left and right as much as possible. If you push it firmly inward, the edges may be “cut” by the bumper. But also do not need to expose the camera unnecessarily. In this case, the camera will get too dirty from the flying splashes of dirt, in addition, in our country there are still many vandals, Who look where and what can be “pulled”, even if they don’t really need it. In our case, the camera was placed on the frame of the rear license plate light.
The frame with the shades is removed from the bumper. The place of attachment of the rear-view camera is conditionally shown.
Rear view camera already installed in place. (A distance plate was placed under the camera so that its peephole protruded from behind the bumper)
If you move a little away from the car, the camera is almost completely invisible. Power and video signal wires, from the rear-view camera, are pulled into the luggage compartment, through any plug, in the area of the spare wheel / rear bumper
The camera can be powered from the reversing lamp power cord. In this case, the easiest way is to Disconnect the block going to the rear headlight, and sort out the contacts, find which one is powered when the reverse is turned on.
Then connect to this wire with a clip (see the article “Connecting to the wiring in the car”) In our case, this is a red-white wire or green-white, one to the block, the other after it. Now we pull the wiring to the radio / monitor located in front of the instrument panel. As a rule, the wiring is pulled along the left side, dismantling the sill trims and laying the wires under the carpet of the passenger compartment. After you have pulled the wires to the front of the car, we start looking for power (if you have a monitor, you don’t need to do this for the radio) and search for power for the reversing lamp. If you DO NOT want to look for power for the reversing light in front, you can, along with the video signal guide from the back, route it back to the dashboard, or at least trace where it comes from the dashboard, and connect already in front. As a result, we get the following power connection diagram and all control signals when the rear view camera is operating.
In cases where the car is equipped with an automatic transmission, there may be a problem of turning on the rear view camera when starting off (because the lever for selecting the automatic transmission mode passes through the position “reverse”) In order to avoid unnecessary rear view cameras. you can supplement the circuit with a delay device that will turn on the camera and send a control signal to the radio tape recorder / monitor after a while. details about such a device can be found in the article “Delay in turning on the power of the reversing camera” I would also like to say that this installation example and the connection diagram of the reversing camera are given for a specific case. There are cameras that transmit a video signal via radio communication, while with a unit that supports several video cameras in a cyclic mode, such a connection, as a rule, will be more complicated, since it will require additional power for the radio communication unit.