How to choose a rear view camera on a car with parking guidelines
The list of devices that can provide maximum safety on the road and parking, you can also include a rear view camera on the car. Such a device will be most useful if the driver still has little driving experience. Some models of DVRs have the function of automatic switching when moving backward. If this option is available, you can purchase the device separately.
How the device works
When reversing, the reversing mirror does not always work well enough and the view of the road section is often enough for complete information about the situation on the roadway. In particular, the lowered rear side of the car remains hidden from the driver’s eyes. There is a risk of hitting someone else’s car in parking lots. In addition, there are always children and pets in the yards.
The installed video device for the rear view of the car transmits the resulting picture to a small monitor fixed in the cabin. Thus, the motorist can always react quickly in the current situation.
This device is a set consisting of an optical unit (it contains a photosensitive sensor) and a monitor (the picture received by the lens is transferred to it). Optics mounted at the rear of the machine.
Different types of elements can be used as sensors:
- CMOS. this option is present in budget models and is characterized by the transmission of an image of average quality;
- CCD. this light-sensitive element is present in more expensive optical devices (such devices are often considered the best reversing cameras).
The following parts are placed in the video device case:
- Analog conversion microcircuit;
- Signal amplifier.
With proper installation and connection, this system is activated automatically when the car starts moving backward.
Some of the advantages of installing a backward gait camera include:
- The ability to control the situation behind the car without turning your head;
- Ability to maneuver with maximum precision;
- The ability to park in the dark with the help of an IF-backlight;
- Chance to calculate as accurately as possible a parking place for a car;
- If a parking sensor with a camera is installed, the driver will receive not only video, but also a sound signal in an approaching obstacle.
There are several types of cameras, which differ in appearance, technical characteristics, cost, installation method. To choose the right model, it is worth examining the main characteristics and capabilities of the device. The main differences are:
- Purpose (cameras can be standard and universal)
- Installation method (devices are divided into mortise and overhead);
- Signal transmission method (according to this characteristic, devices are divided into wired and wireless).
The peculiarity of such cameras is that they are installed in cars at the stage of assembly. These cameras are characterized by the following indicators:
- The devices are manufactured for the car model, taking into account the characteristics of the car;
- The cameras are illuminated;
- When installing the structure, the manufacturer himself adjusts the viewing angle, which is considered optimal for this car.
The only significant drawback of this option is the high cost of the option when buying a car.
Unlike the previous version, versatile cameras can be selected according to your own requirements. their assortment is diverse, they can be mounted on any car and most often have an affordable price.
When buying, such devices can be selected taking into account the installation method, viewing angle, image quality and the availability of other additional options.
The disadvantage is that most universal cameras do not have a high degree of protection against damage and moisture.
Some experienced motorists recommend installing a parking sensor with a camera.
This device is a parking alarm system equipped with spatial sensors. This system is mounted on the rear bumper and sends a sound signal to the driver in case of a collision. Its advantage over the camera is that it transmits information from the entire surface of the bumper. In addition, it is effective in cases where the optics are useless (with heavy dirt and in the dark).
The difference between this device is the installation method. To install the camera, you must first drill a hole of the required diameter in the bumper. In connection with this feature, there are some advantages.
- The camera remains hidden, so it attracts less attention (this protects against theft and vandalism).
- The device receives protection from mechanical damage, dust and water.
As a big drawback, the complexity of installation and the need to drill a hole in the bumper should be called. In addition, it is important to correctly calculate the installation location, because The quality of the transmitted image depends on the position of the lens.
Built in license plate frame
Those who, for one reason or another, are not suitable for models built into the bumper, can choose cameras designed to be installed in the license plate frame. They have a number of features:
- Small size and installation in a license plate makes them unobtrusive.
- The cost of such devices most often differs in availability.
- It is not difficult to install such a device, so every motorist can cope with this.
Meanwhile, there is also a significant drawback. such models are poorly protected from external influences, and if stolen, they are removed along with the license plate.
How to choose
To choose the right reversing camera, you need to consider several criteria:
- Features of image broadcast;
- Viewing angle;
- Possibility to enable the option of parking marks;
- Optical device matrix size;
- Signal to noise ratio;
- Minimum illumination indicator;
- Protection against external influences.
Each of the above indicators affects the operation of cameras and their price characteristics.
Image output mode
When choosing a camera, pay attention to the method of displaying images on the monitor, which directly affects the usability. There are 3 options.
- Direct. The peculiarity of the operation of such optics is the direct image transmission. In other words, if there is an object to the left of the lens, it will also be on the left on the screen. By this principle, almost all models with a front view transmit information.
- Mirror reflection. Mirror mode changes the position of objects horizontally. This is how rear-view lenses work. As a result, the driver will see a familiar picture on the monitor, corresponding to the view in the mirror.
- Universal image (direct / mirror). Optics with this function can be used as models for backward and forward viewing. For many, this indicator is extremely important.
Some devices have an option to automatically overlay an image with labels, which help to calculate as accurately as possible the space required for parking. If a parking camera (reverse) is installed, you must strictly follow all the recommendations given in the instructions. Incorrect installation can lead to incorrect overlapping of lines when parking.
For greater convenience, in many models of optics, the parking mark function can be disabled.
When buying optics, you should pay attention to the viewing angle. For rear-view cameras, 120-170 ° is considered the optimal indicator. In this case, cameras with a 120 ° angle are called narrow directional, and lenses with a 170 ° angle of view. broadly directed. The higher this characteristic, the wider view the lens offers.
In this case, you need to take into account some of the nuances.
- The wider the viewing angle of the optics, the more distortion the picture gets. This happens under the influence of the “fisheye” effect.
- If the choice is made in favor of a wide-angle model, you need to make sure that the picture resolution is also high. Otherwise, the video will be blurry.
To choose the right cameras for your car, you need to consider the size of the sensor. This characteristic is usually understood as the physical size of the light-sensitive element. Size is measured diagonally and expressed in inches. The large sensor features minimal image noise and high video quality (especially when it comes to shooting at night).
The minimum illumination is understood as the lowest illumination level at which the optical device can reproduce a clear high quality picture without additional illumination. In most device models, this figure ranges from 0.01 lux (characterized as a clear night) to 3 lux (deep twilight conditions).
The sensitivity of the device in poor lighting depends on this type of characteristic. Meanwhile, in the choice of models, this indicator is NOT the main one, because. At night, the movement of the car occurs with additional lighting (headlights, camera illumination).
Matrix and video resolution
The high-resolution rear-view optical systems have 628,582 pixels. In terms of megapixels, this figure is only 0.3. This figure is considered high because K. Video signal is transmitted according to NTSC or PAL standards.
Signal and noise
When choosing a digital device, it is worth considering another important indicator that characterizes the quality of the video broadcast on the display. signal-to-noise ratio (often referred to as noiselessness). The optimal indicator for most models of rear-view optics is 40-50 dB.
Working temperature indicator. extremely important characteristic. This is explained by the fact that the car reverse view camera should work properly both in extreme heat and in cold weather.
Most manufacturers specify a span as the operating range of the device. 25. 65 ° C.
In practice, this range turns out to be much wider, so choosing the best option is easy.
Dust and moisture protection
If the camera is mounted outside the car, then it needs high protection from external negative influences. This indicator is determined according to IEC 60529 (international standard). Data Shown as follows: IP x y. X has a digital designation and characterizes the degree of dust protection. The y-value is also digital, denoting moisture protection.
IP66. This is the maximum protection rating of the device under standard operating conditions. Such a device can withstand the effects of sea waves, water jet.
IP67. There is an increased protection against water. The device can withstand short-term immersion in water.
IP68. Optics can operate at a depth of 1 m for 30 minutes.
When choosing which one is better to put a camera, a motorist can pay attention to additional options that increase the convenience and functionality of the device:
- Infrared illumination;
- Exposure setting in automatic mode;
- White balance correction (with this option, the camera automatically adjusts the white balance depending on the type of lighting)
- GU remote control (this function is present only in expensive models).
Which camera is better
Providing camera ratings and identifying the top 10 cameras does not make sense, since K. Each car owner has its own hardware requirements and evaluation criteria. Meanwhile, in order to avoid frequent breakdowns and poor video quality, experienced masters advise choosing models from those companies that have already established themselves as reliable manufacturers. This list includes the brands Autoexpert, Bigson, Rolsen, Alpine, Avis.
The lines of THESE manufacturers consist of dozens of models, so you can choose according to the type of fastening, power and cost. At the same time, the best view cameras most often belong to the middle price range.
This is a Russian-Korean company that specializes in the production of electrical appliances for cars. Camcorders from this line are characterized by a long service life and an optimal price-quality ratio.
In search of a flagship, it is worth referring to the Bigson catalog. This Korean firm specializes only in the production of video equipment for cars. A narrow niche allows the manufacturer to quickly respond to all the latest developments in this area. Meanwhile, in a wide range of products there are also inexpensive models with a standard set of functions. They can also be considered the best cameras in their segment.
Here is the Korean company Alpine rear camera. the best in their price segment. Over the years, the brand has gained recognition as a manufacturer of high-quality electrical equipment for cars.
Connection methods and where to install
According to the connection method, there are devices:
When installing wired rear view devices and parking sensors, the optics are mounted in the bumper or on the license plate. In this case, a cable connecting the optics to the display is connected to the device. The difficulty lies in the fact that in order to lay the cable it is necessary to remove the trim in the passenger compartment. After finishing the installation, the casing parts are installed in place. High image quality is called the advantage of wired models. Meanwhile, not every motorist chooses devices with a wired connection due to the complexity of the installation.
Wireless devices are complemented by a radio transmitter. It is located at the rear of the vehicle. As for the screen receiver, it is located in front of the receiver. This kit includes a monitor. It is attached to the rear view glass. As an alternative, a separate monitor is provided for installation on a dashboard. Devices of this type are most often tuned to navigators.
Each model of video equipment requires proper installation and further maintenance (especially if a parking sensor with a camera is installed). To avoid breakdowns and additional costs, before installing and using the device, read the instructions in detail. It is present in every optical device kit.
How to install a rear view camera on a car with your own hands
The basic equipment of most modern cars initially includes such a useful device as parking sensors. This device helps not only beginners, but also experienced DRIVERS of cars to park anywhere in the city, even in particularly tight places, and also gives a feeling of complete confidence when driving in reverse. In this case, the most useful data in this situation is provided by a rear-view camera. This device, working in conjunction with the display on the dashboard, gives a clear idea of what is happening behind the car. Owners of cars that do not have this device can always connect it with their own hands. At the same time, everyone can cope with this task, the main thing is to clearly follow the instructions.
Choosing a camera
Today, rear view cameras are represented by a wide and varied selection. over, each device differs in technical parameters, appearance, as well as cost and quality. But at the same time, each such device is made taking into account that an ordinary car enthusiast can do its installation, and not a high-class locksmith. Things to look out for when buying a camera:
- First of all, take a closer look at the shape of the device, because how you will mount it in your car directly depends on it. There are models that need to be installed separately on special brackets. While other devices will have to be embedded in car parts, such as lights or bumpers.
- An important factor when choosing this device is the viewing angle. A viewing angle that is too narrow will not give you a complete picture of the situation from behind. But it will also fall to the other extreme and it is also not worth giving preference to the maximum directivity of the video camera. Indeed, in this case, you will be presented with information about many unnecessary objects. So you have to think for a few seconds to concentrate on the main subjects.
Preparing for installation
Before installing a rear view camera on your vehicle, you will need to remove several trim elements of your vehicle. You should get to work only if you have at least basic knowledge of the wiring device. It is especially important to remain calm when working with plastic elements, because the rush in this matter can lead to unpleasant consequences.
First of all, you should inspect the “front of work” and set all points with the latch, as well as find all the fasteners. This will allow you to quickly and easily prepare a car for the installation of this device using ordinary screwdrivers. In addition, it should be remembered that it is necessary to carry out any work with the electrical wiring of the car after completely disconnecting the battery.
Dismantling Some parts
- First of all, you should inspect the trunk and find the best entry points for wires from the device to the car interior. For this, most cars have special additional plugs and can be used for this function. But it is better to stretch the wires with the wiring already present.
- Next, we decide on the place of installation of the “eye” of the video camera. Usually this device is mounted in the license plate light or directly in the bumper. Choose where to connect the rear view camera is more convenient for you. Sometimes for THESE purposes it is necessary to carry out a thorough dismantling of the bumper, but it is possible and limited to minimal alterations. For example, remove the plastic strip from the room lighting. In addition, this device can be installed in the license plate frame, because most manufacturers of THESE parts add special grooves for installing such devices.
- You will also have to disassemble some of the details located in the front of the car interior. In order to get access to the wiring and connect the camera to the monitor, you will need to dismantle the bottom of the dashboard, as well as the torpedo. In addition, you have to pull out the car radio.
After completing THESE preparatory work, you can proceed to the next stage of installation of this device.
How to install a rear view camera. Step-by-step instruction
The installation process for this device depends largely on the make of the vehicle. But there are some general rules that apply to all cars. To work you need:
- Electric drill.
- Soldering iron.
- Insulating tape.
The installation process should begin with the installation of a peephole. If your car has special grooves for this device, then you need to pull out the plugs and insert the camera into the resulting hole. If your vehicle has such “amenities”, then make the desired hole using an Electric Drill. You yourself will choose the best place where to put the rear view camera. Then insert the peephole and fix it with sealant or glue.
In the next step, you need to pull the wires leading from the device into the trunk. Next, connect the negative wire (black) to the ground of the machine. For THESE purposes, any fastener connected to the body is suitable. Just don’t forget to sand the area with sandpaper. this will provide the most reliable connection possible. The positive charge wire (red) is optimally connected to the reversing lights. In this case, electricity will flow to the device only after turning on the reverse gear.
Connect the camera to the monitor
At this stage, we will analyze how to route the cable from the video camera to the monitor through the car interior. Most often this device comes with an optimal length guide, so it is quite possible that you will find the most aesthetic way of connecting. Remember to attach the wire to the body in several places with electrical tape. This will allow you NOT to worry about accidental damage to the cable or getting it under the fasteners.
It will not be difficult to connect this wire with a video camera and the device will not be difficult, because it is equipped with a “tulip”. special connector provided for this case.
All that remains is to connect the monitor to the wiring, after which you can install it on the dashboard. To do this, connect the negative cable (black) to the earth of the machine. This can be done in any convenient place. And positive, connect to the wire responsible for the operation of the rear light. You can find it under the torpedo, in the area of the gearshift lever. The display of the device can be attached to the control panel with screws, but it is better to use double-sided tape for THESE purposes.
Checking the work
Upon completion of all installation work, it is necessary to check the correct operation of the camcorder. In order to do this, you need to connect the battery, then start the car and engage reverse gear. If a picture from the camera appears on the display, then you can start assembling the interior trim. Otherwise, disconnect the battery again and check if the wiring is connected correctly.
Even a novice motorist can cope with such a task. At the same time, hand-made installation will help save a lot of money and time, because you will not need to go to the Repair Shop and wait for the auto mechanics to be free.
How to install a rear view camera on a car
Hello gentlemen motorists! If, when parking in various urban facilities, you now and then encounter certain obstacles, then you need to think about how to use simple electrical appliances of our time in this process.
No, no, I’m not talking at all to Parktronic, the device is certainly good, but the available options are too primitive, but expensive. the majority cannot afford it. And why do we need it? As an alternative, I propose to use a regular small-sized video camera. I agree that there will be no various warning signals when interference approaches, but we will get a real picture of what is happening behind, plus significantly save.
Great idea for me! In short, in order to learn how to install a rear view camera on a car, keep up the good work. read, read and read again, until the very end!
So, when everything is in its original positions, we proceed to install the rear-view camera with our own hands, having previously disconnected the battery terminals in order to prevent electrical short-circuiting. If there is no screen in the interior of your salon, you need to correct this defect. It is installed directly on the torpedo, although everything here is to your taste and color. In modern vehicles, double-sided tape is perfect for fasteners, with which it will be possible to preserve the plastic without damage. When, under the “fifth point” is an old one who has driven a Zhiguli, I advise you not to take a steam bath and use much more reliable self-tapping screws. With regard to nutrition, the procedure is identical to that described below. Just as source, choose something else, for example. car radio.
In the next step, we need to supply power to the camera in a correct and safe way. This means that a 0.5A fuse must be installed between the camera and the power source, in our case the back lamp. After connecting and insulating, connect the red power wire (with a fuse) coming out of the camera to the required phase. Please note that the black wire (minus) just needs to be screwed to the ground (car body).
When everything is ready, all that remains is to connect the monitor and the rear view camera together. To do this, we perform the following actions:
- We remove the casing, under which the wires will be installed.
- We drill a hole for the cable in the trunk wall (and that leads to the salon).
- We stretch the wires, periodically fix it to the car body with tape. Be careful, fastening them to moving units is not recommended, as the system can easily fail.
- Using the “tulip” cable included with the camera, Connect the device to the display.
- Connect the battery for final check.
- Fixing the camera in the license plate frame.
- We collect the skin and other disassembled parts.
This is how the process of installing a rear-view camera looks like, which you can do yourself without any problems. In addition, everything about everything will not take very long. I think you can do it in an hour.
For those of you, dear friends, Who managed to acquire a modern radio tape recorder with a built-in display, I am attaching a video. The procedure is not much different from the process I described, but still. This is where I put an end. And you are friends, remember. no modern headset will fully protect you from troubles on the road, so always stay vigilant! See you later!
Installing a rear view camera on a car yourself
For novice drivers, a rearview camera is a great way to learn how to park properly and get a sense of the car’s dimensions. To install a rear view camera, you can contact a service center or install it yourself.
This function is called Parktronic and is now installed on almost all models at the factory. But if it is not installed, then you can install it yourself.
To do this, you just need to follow the instructions and everything will work out.
Camera model selection
The choice depends on what image quality you want to see on the monitor. Also, the main criterion for choosing a camera is the presence of a flashlight. This is necessary so that when parking at night you can see all the obstacles on the way. Also, before buying a device, you need to decide for yourself what it will be:
- Image color. What picture will you see on the monitor. black and white or color;
- Online shooting in the dark and in poorly lit places;
- Viewing angle;
- The quality of the transmitted picture;
- Shockproof and waterproof housing;
- Parking zone markings.
Installing a rear view camera
As with any action, the installation must be done in stages. In fact, there is nothing complicated. So, let’s take a closer look:
- First, remove all the trim inside the car. This must be done as carefully as possible, so that later you do NOT have to spend additional funds on its restoration;
- We set the display to which the image will be fed. You can display the image on the rear-view mirror, you can display it on a separate screen, located directly under the radio tape recorder, or you can purchase a radio tape recorder with a screen and display the image on it;
- Connect all the necessary wires to the on-board computer. This is necessary so that the information comes to the screen;
- We remove all the wires, hide them under the casing. For the best fastening and reliability, you can fix the wiring with ordinary tape to the frame of the machine, or fix it to the casing and to the frame using double-sided tape;
- Lead out the wire to the location and crepe the sheathing in place;
- We install the camera itself. It is best to install it so that it is minimally exposed to contamination, and when you open the trunk, you DO NOT touch it at all. It is most convenient to place the camera above the number;
- We check the correctness of the camera. To do this, launch it and display the image on the screen. If there is an image, then everything is installed correctly. If it is not there, then it’s all about the wiring or a malfunction of the device itself.
Where to install
It is best to install the equipment in a location where it will be least affected and virtually invisible. This will protect it from both pollution and the actions of intruders. As a rule, the camera is installed above the number, sometimes along the perimeter of the bumper. On some car models, you can see round holes on the rear bumper covered with plastic. A camera and more than one can be mounted in these holes. Everything directly depends on the car model. For example, on the Audi Q 7, the rear view camera can be installed under the boot lid above the number. Most models allow you to install the gadget just above the number. Some drivers also mount the device on the trunk lid. In this case, you may need more wiring than you expected. But if your machine has a ready-made solution for installing the device, it is better to use it.
The cost of this device varies from 1500 to 6000 rubles. Depending on model, features, manufacturer and country of build. It is better to buy a camera from a trusted manufacturer, while NOT overpaying for the brand. Be sure to pay attention to the availability of a warranty card and a complete set of necessary parts for installation.
How to display the camera on the screen of the radio
To display the camera on the screen of the radio, firstly, the radio itself must be equipped with a display and support video formats. If your radio tape recorder does not have these functions, then you can purchase a rear-view mirror already equipped with a built-in screen.
So, connect the device to the monitor. To do this correctly, you must, first of all, carefully read the instructions for the equipment. Sometimes radio tape recorders have several inputs for camera plugs, in which case you need to be guided by color. Usually the radio input is located on the back wall. In order to connect the device, you will have to dismantle the music player.
After you have connected the monitor and the camcorder, you need to connect the radio tape recorder back to the network and insert it into place. Remember that the wire with a negative charge must be connected to the mass of the car in the most accessible place, i.e. It must be grounded and the positive wire must be connected to the rear view lamp. Usually the power cable of this lamp is located next to the gearbox.
You can also display the camera on the mirror screen. To do this, you will need to connect the same mirror to the wiring in the car and carefully lay the wires. This can be done along the ceiling and lowers to the driver’s seat, hiding behind the dashboard. When buying such a mirror, be sure to pay attention to device compatibility. It is desirable that they are from the same manufacturer.
There are not so many connection features. All devices are connected as standard, regardless of the model. Remember that the unit is powered by the taillight, so you need to connect it to the wiring going to this lamp. So that you can more clearly see how to install a rear view camera on different cars, we suggest you watch a video for each model:
As a rule, very detailed instructions for installing it on different car models are attached to the camera. If the installation principle is the same, then a number of car brands are indicated simply by a list, which most often happens.
Installing a camera in a workshop
If you DO NOT want to install a rear view camera yourself, but understand that you really need it, you can contact any service station where qualified specialists will install it for a fee. The cost varies from 5,000 to 10,000 rubles. Depending on the city and the auto repair shop. Regardless of the city, installation will be paid. Of course, it’s much cheaper to do it yourself.
That is why it is best to install the rear view camera yourself. Firstly, this will save you a significant amount of money, and secondly, you will be able to further independently adjust the device and set it at the angle that you need for successful parking.
Installing additional gadgets
When installing a rear-view camera, some drivers also install washers for it. Consider the installation process, since this is a necessary device, especially in slush conditions and off-road trips.
So, you will need:
- An ordinary hose with a length of at least two meters;
- Washer nozzle. It is not necessary to buy a new one, you can use an old one, for example, from any car, even from a Russian one. But, if you still decide to buy a new one, then you can safely purchase a nozzle for any car produced by AvtoVAZ;
- Key for 10,
- Plastic straps;
- Tee for divorce;
- Drill and drill in 6mm.
The necessary material will be inexpensive, you will definitely keep within 100 rubles. Further, the action plan is the same as when installing the camera, so it is better to mount the camera and its washer at the same time.
So, we remove the casing, disconnecting all the wiring in case the hose passes, we pass the hose, output one end of it to the hole of the rear-view camera, install the nozzle on the hose, fix it, put the tee for water supply and you’re done! Such a procedure can take 1.5-2.5 hours, but your camera will always be clean and the image will be clear.
If you are installing the device in a car workshop, then you can immediately ask to install a washer, from the specialists It will not take much time.
recently, wireless rear-view cameras have appeared. Installation of such a device does not require kilometer-long wires and dismantling the casing. To install such a camera, you need to turn on Bluetooth on the camera and turn it on on the radio so that the device can pick up the signal and display the picture. Despite the fact that technologies do not stand still, in this case it is better not to give up wires, they will ensure uninterrupted operation of the camera for a very long time.