How it works? Details
At the first stage, for the correct operation of the payment system, it is necessary to register and create a Samsung account. Then you need to create and confirm the fingerprint. Then, you must create a PIN code for Samsung Pay.
Then you need to add your bank card. You can do it by scanning it with the camera or enter the data with your own hands. The bank must send a confirmation SMS message with a one-time password. In the window that appears you need to put your signature.
The card will be fully registered in 10 minutes.
In the information on the card you should see the last 4 figures, as well as a token number of 4 figures. Now you can use your mobile device to pay for your purchases in stores.
After selecting a card with money on it, you need to put your finger on the “fingerprint” icon or enter the pin code for the Samsung Pay service in order for the transaction to be successful. Next, bring your smartphone to the terminal to pay. If the amount of purchase exceeds one thousand, you will need to enter the PIN code of the bank card.
Samsung Pay system is a payment service that allows you to make purchases with a single touch of the gadget to the payment terminal, similar to putting a bank card to it. So, to make a purchase in-store, the bank account holder doesn’t have to show a card to make the payment. Simply touch your phone with the Samsung Pay app installed and configured to the POS terminal at the checkout, and in a split second the purchase will be paid for. The service uses NFC contactless payment technology, as well as MST for cards with only a magnetic stripe. The following is how to download and set up the official version of Samsung Pay mobile app for Android phone.
Downloading and setting up
First, you need to add a Samsung account to your device to be able to register in the payment service. Do the following steps:
- Open “Settings” and “Accounts”.
- Set “Add account”, select “Samsung account”.
- Sign in with your account or register a new account by filling in required fields and then confirming your registration with your email.
- Enter the options of the gadget.
- Select “About device” menu item.
- Find “Software Update” and select “Update.
- In case of launching an update, wait for the process to complete.
Update is necessary, because Samsung Pay requires the latest version of Android OS on the phone.
Now you can start downloading and installing the software product itself.
- Visit the Google Play app store.
- Find Samsung Pay and click download. (If search has no results, you probably need the original firmware for the device. Maybe this gadget has not been released for the Russian or Belarusian market, or the phone does not support Samsung Pay.)
- After downloading, locate the application shortcut on the home screen.
- Think of a PIN and enter it to further confirm your purchases.
Gadgets for Samsung Pay
Samsung Pay on which phones this service works? Do all models of devices have full support of this payment service?
As it turns out, not all smartphones in Samsung‘s lineup support electromagnetic technology (MST) payment for magnetic strip cards. Some only work with NFC. The table below shows which smartphones work fully with Samsung Pay and which partially, without the MST method.
|100% payment support||NFC only|
|Galaxy S9||Galaxy S6|
|Galaxy S9||Galaxy S6 Edge|
|Galaxy A8||Gear Sport|
|Galaxy Note 8|
|Galaxy J5 (2017)|
|Galaxy J7 (2017)|
|Galaxy A3 (2017)|
|Galaxy A5 (2017)|
|Galaxy A7 (2017)|
|Galaxy S7 edge|
|Galaxy S6 edge|
|Galaxy Note 5|
|Galaxy A5 (2016)|
|Galaxy A7 (2016)|
That is, only three gadgets from the designated list of mobile devices have partial support for paying for purchases when working with Samsung Pay.
The app only works with Samsung smartphones and tablets made for the Russian and Belarusian markets.
Cards for Samsung Pay
It is also important to understand about Samsung Pay software. What cards does this software support??
You need to look at it in terms of popular payment systems and Russian/Belarusian banks issuing bank cards. Because the application does not accept all cards, here is the list of partner banks working with the payment service.
- MTS Bank
- Bank Saint-Petersburg
- Russian Standard
- Alfa Bank
- AK BARS
- SKB Bank
- Megafon/Bank Round
- Moscow Credit Bank
- Moscow Industrial Bank
- Home Credit
- Russian Mortgage Bank
- Credit Ural Bank
- JSC Bank VBRR
- CJSC BANK VOLOGZHANIN
- JSC PSKB Bank
- PAO Sovcombank
- Payment card “Kukuruza” / RNCO “Payment center” (LLC)
- AK BARS
- Bank Saint-Petersburg
- Ural Bank of Reconstruction and Development
- Home Credit
- Credit Ural Bank
- Post Bank
- Soyuz (JSC)
- Moscow Credit Bank
- Moscow Industrial Bank
- PJSC SDM Bank
Thus, Samsung Pay support for Visa cards for Belarusian and Russian banks is not as tightly concentrated as in the MasterCard system, which covers most of the market.
And the Maestro card can not be registered in a mobile app.
But for Russian users with the system Yandex cards actively work, where users can use usual plastic or virtual Yandex card.Money, which can also be added to the service Samsung Pay. Therefore, having got acquainted with the issuing banks, the questions about the Samsung Pay system and which cards this service supports become irrelevant for the user.
Linking the card to your smartphone
When the application is installed on the smartphone or tablet, and the user has the necessary information about supported cards and mobile device models, it is possible to link the available bank card to the phone. So, to do this, follow these steps:
- Launch Samsung Pay.
- Enter the PIN code you’ve come up with, if it hasn’t been done before.
- Tap the card icon or the “Add” button.
- Take a picture of the plastic card or manually enter its details in the appropriate fields.
- Press “Next”, read the agreements.
- Press the “SMS” button, wait for the code in the message on the phone number.
- Enter the code you received and press “Send.
- Sign on the screen of your device.
Registration of the payment data takes about 10 minutes. If the registration failed, it is recommended to contact the bank. There might be some limitations for the card itself which do not allow using it for such kind of payments.
Considered payment service Samsung Pay in different circumstances can be useful when the user does not have a bank card on hand. But you should always take into account that in many cases the maximum amount of the purchase when paying via NFC is 1000.
Smartphones that support the function
Before figuring out how to set up Samsung Pay, you should make sure that there is a technical possibility. Contactless payment is available on the following Samsung phone models:
Samsung Pay is also available in the S6 Edge and Gear Sport models, but only via NFC technology. The system is not available on other devices. If the smartphone is purchased in another country, but you plan to use it in Russia or Belarus, then you will not be able to use this function.
Separate mention should be made of phones where root access was obtained or a custom firmware version was installed. Getting superuser rights and changing the operating system leads to decreasing the security level of the device, so using contactless payment system will be impossible.
Rooted smartphones remain unusable even after resetting to default settings.
If the phone supports the technology and meets the specified requirements, you can start learning the detailed instructions.
Sometimes the software is embedded by the manufacturer on the smartphone. If it is accidentally deleted, it can be restored via Google Play.
Setting up the software assumes:
- Entering card information. The information is stored as an encryption. Account number is not attached to the app. Ability to pay guarantees token.
- Selecting the “” button on the top right.
- Scan the card with the phone camera (quick access).
- Receive a bank notification confirming the addition of the card to the wallet with a digital code.
- Entering the 4-digit password in the application.
The card is now added to the program, which the user can use. pay for the product.
Registering for the app
Registration requires a chip check, which, if properly enabled, allows you to pay with one touch. Algorithm for adding an account:
- opening the settings menu;
- select the appropriate section. accounts;
- Creating a Samsung account.
- Waiting for an email to confirm the transaction.
Registration mechanism takes up to 7 minutes and allows the customer to use the app to link cards. You need to register with the program to open all the features:
This short process allows you to use bank cards without having.
How the service works: making a payment
After checking the settings the payment system is ready to work. To pay for the goods it is necessary to inform the cashier about the method of payment by card. Touching the screen automatically launches the program.
After opening the gadget, you need to authorize using one of the methods:
Then it is necessary to bring a mobile device to the top of the payment terminal.
If the device is not equipped with such a function, the phone is brought to the magnetic stripe reader. Samsung MST technology is used in this case.
Payment is fixed by the terminal, and your smartphone receives a corresponding notification.
Which Samsung devices support Samsung Pay
Samsung Pay works only on devices of its manufacturer. Also the firmware plays a role it should be original. It is important that your gadget has an NFC module.
Contactless payment can be connected to a number of smartphones and watches from Samsung, namely:
- Samsung Galaxy A6, A7, A8, A9, A20, A30, A40. A50, A80;
- Samsung Galaxy J6, J4, J7, J5;
- Samsung Galaxy S10e, S10, S10, S9, S9, S8, S8, S7Edge, S7, S6Edge, S6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Note 8, Note 9, Note10
- Samsung Gear S3 classic, frontier;
- Samsung Gear Sport;
- Samsung Galaxy Watch;
- Samsung Galaxy Watch Active, Active2.
When buying, you need to look at the technical specifications of the device. It is important that the gadget has an NFC chip.
All relatively new Samsung smartphones are equipped with an NFC-port, which is responsible for cashless payment. The principle of work does not differ much from that of payment with a bank card, but the data of transfer are transferred not by scanning the card band, but through the NFC-module. Today not all terminals in Russia support this standard, but Samsung also has a solution in this case.
In addition to the NFC standard, Samsung smartphones support operation via MST. a standard of magnetic data transfer, characterized by high transaction security. The difference between the technologies is in the ability to pay for goods in the terminal without the support of NFC. The magnetic strip on the bank card works on a similar principle to MST, so virtually all terminals that support cashless payment with the card will work with Samsung Pay.
Samsung Pay how it works:
- Bring your smartphone with a bank card connected to the terminal.
- A finger is brought to the scanner to confirm the action or a PIN code is entered.
- The operation has been launched, just waiting for completion.
In Russia, payment via Samsung Pay is still a rarity, so salespeople are surprised to see a request for non-cash payment via the phone. Often, they themselves are not aware of such abilities of the terminal, but it is still possible to make a payment.
How to set up and use Samsung Pay
Samsung Pay system requirements
To start paying in-store via smartphone, you need to have modern versions of gadgets from Samsung.
Samsung Pay works fully on phones:
- The S lineup, from the S6 to the S9. The S6 and S6 Edge only support the NFC payment method;
- Galaxy Note 5 and 8;
- A series, starting with A5 2016 and up to A7 2017, also support is included in A3 2017;
- from the budget series, support is included in the J5 and J7, starting in 2017;
- Gear S3 and Gear Sport smart watches, the second model only supports NFC.
All of the listed gadgets are ready to work with terminals using the MST and/or NFC standard, no other system requirements for using the service are presented by the manufacturer. All new flagships support the service by default, but the cheapest models remain “out of the game” for now, there is no information on the introduction of the service yet.
You can download Samsung Pay for free from third-party sites. There are many resources on the Internet that distribute applications for Android. Use only trusted sites with a good reputation.
Let’s take a look at the process of installing the APK file on an Android device:
- Initially you need to find Samsung Pay application on one of the third-party sites. Press the button to download, the file will be loaded into the memory of your device.
- Open file manager of your phone, find APK-sheets in a folder for download.
- Click on it, wait for the application to check.
- Now confirm the installation of the program.
- After installation you can launch the application.
Antivirus protection on your Samsung can block the program if it can perform hidden suspicious actions. It is recommended that you download this type of software from official stores.
Important! The program does not work correctly on custom firmware and on rooted devices. Samsung restricts the use of this application on devices with custom modifications, as the company cannot guarantee the safety of personal data on such devices.
Samsung Pay is a service for making contactless payments using your cell phone. The smartphone is currently loaded with the owner’s bank card. The developer of the prototype was the Korean company Samsung. The application, in comparison to Apple Pay, makes purchases not only through the NFC protocol, but also through electromagnetic transmission technology (MST), which gives the opportunity to buy even if the card does not support the current Pay Pass technology, but it is loaded into the phone. The bank terminal and the gadget operate on the same frequency, so the acquiring machine recognizes and conducts payment as if the card was inserted.
Not all phones work with this technology, so in the instructions note whether the gadget supports the function of the magnetic emitter.
To start using the service, you need to configure it.
To do this on Android, you need:
- Sign up for a Samsung Pay account, if you haven’t already, create an account.
- Put your thumb on the screen to sync and activate the app. You can not do this, and set only a pin code.
- Take a picture of the plastic card or manually enter its data.
- A digital code from the issuing bank will be sent as a confirmation.
- Enter it in the appeared window.
- Any card, even un-named, should have the owner’s signature on it. Accordingly, put your signature on the screen with a stylus or finger.
Up to 10 cards can be linked to one smartphone. Payment will be the last card by default.
To experience all the convenience of payment in one device, you need to connect Samsung Pay on your phone.
- Add Account.
- Open an account or create a new one.
- Sign in by following on-screen instructions.
- Check for an update.
- Go to settings, in the case of an uninstalled system upgrade, perform the upgrade.
- Reboot your smartphone.
Not all devices can be installed.
Often people buy phones abroad, they will not work with bank cards in Russia. This technology appeared quite recently, at the end of 2016, respectively, it will launch on:
- MasterCard and Visa support;
- Fingerprint function;
- Write off an amount without entering a pin code up to 1000 ;
- additional protection from hackers.
That’s it for now. Now you know how to set up Samsung Pay. Installation is quite simple, any schoolboy can cope with it. Advantages of contactless payment are in your face. No need to be afraid to use something new. Going against progress is a waste of time. All incoming data are reliably protected, fraudsters are prevented by triple protection. Setting up Samsung Pay will not take long 5-10 minutes. If there are still problems with the installation, you need to contact the bank where the card was made. Enjoy the development of industrial technology, and the developers will take care to make life brighter and more convenient. All that remains is to turn on all the necessary and modern attributes and start exploring them.
How to use Samsung Pay
It is recommended to use this method of payment when the battery level is 5% or more.
For purchases through an electronic watch or other Samsung wearable device:
- Press the “Back” button to open the payment apps
- Select the desired card by rotating the bezel
- Bring your device to the terminal and press “Pay”
It is suggested to pay with such devices when the battery charge is 15% or more.