Ilya. Chief Softdroid Site Editor.Net. Is the author of several hundred android guides and articles. About 15 years has been repairing equipment and solving technical problems iOS and Android. He dealt with almost all more or less popular brands of mobile smartphones and tablets Samsung, HTC, Xiaomi and DR. For testing uses iPhone 12 and Samsung Galaxy S21 with the latest firmware version.
What is the article: How to correctly format a hard disk, the difference between formatting types. low-level, fast and full. We will help you choose a good free program for breaking the hard disk. If something is incomprehensible, you can ask a question in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев. Enjoy reading!
Top HDD formatting tools:
How to format disk via the command line using the format command
In the command line (CMD) tool, there is a “Format” command, with which the disk formatting is performed in the specified file system. In the operating system, using this command, you will format the partitions on the disk on which Windows is not installed.
If there are several partitions on the hard disk (the system is on “C” disk), for example, “D” and “E” disks, which must be formatted, then using the “Format” command, the disk “D” is formatted, and then disk “E”. In the case of connecting to a computer of another additional hard disk, this disc can be formatted completely because there is no operating system on it.
1 option. We perform disk formatting via the Windows command line (standard option):
Format D: / FS: NTFS In this command “D”. the name of the local disk on the computer to format. “FS: NTFS”. the selected file system, instead of the NTFS file system, you can select another suitable file system. In the overwhelming majority, the choice between the “NTFS” and “FAT32” file systems.
Assign Tom Tag (disk name) for disk. You can choose any convenient name that can be changed in the following from Windows Settings.
- Next, you must press the “Y” key for consent with the conditions of disk formatting, and then click on the Enter key. You warn you that all data on the disk will be destroyed.
After that, the disk formatting process will begin.
Option 2. If you add additional keys to the “Format” command, you can configure formatting parameters.
Format D: / FS: NTFS / X / Q In this command, keys are added: / x. Tom Disable, / Q. Fast Formatting. The first key turns off the external impact on the disk from the operating system, so that everything goes well. The second key starts quick formatting. When quickly formatting Windows marks all the disk space as unused. The data remain on the disk, the operating system does not see them, new files are gradually written to this place. With normal, full formatting, all data on the disk is deleted, but this process takes much longer than the fast formatting.
After the completion of the process, information about the end of this operation will appear in the command prompt window.
We reviewed the formatting option on the command line of individual partitions of the hard disk, or another hard disk on which Windows is not installed.
Cleaning a hard disk using the Windows command line
Another way that is preferred to use more advanced users. Nevertheless, he is not so complicated, so anyone who wants to mask it.
So, first, you need to open the command line:
- To do this, you must simultaneously press the WinR key combination.
- A window will appear in the lower left corner of the screen in which you want to write a CMD and press the Enter key.
- You will open the command line. a window with a black background.
How to format a hard disk using the command line
If you need to format the hard disk, but you do not plan to install Windows, you can use the command line that is built into the Windows boot disk.
In order to access this command prompt, boot from the Windows installation disk, but do not start the installation of the operating system. Instead, click the ShiftF10 key combination. So you will call a command line.
After the command line appears, execute the command “WMIC Logicaldisk Get DeviceID, Volumename, Size, Description”. This team will display information about hard drives, as well as the letters that they are assigned. Please note that letters that differ from those assigned to them in your working Windows can be assigned to the disks.
After that, you can proceed to formatting. To do this, run the command “Format / FS: NTFS X: / Q”. Only instead of “X” substitute the letter of the disk you want to format
After the hard disk formatting is complete, close the command line and restart the computer.
CREATOR OF THE SITE COMP-SECURITY.NET, author of more than 2,000 articles on the repair of computers, working with programs, setting up operating systems.
Ask a question in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев below the article or on the “Ask a Question” page and you will definitely receive an answer.
From disk or flash drive
After writing the boot drive, you can start formatting Windows 7 hard disk and other versions, pre-configuring BIOS for this purpose. The procedure is as follows:
one. Insert CDs with a way into a drive or flash drive into a USB connector.
Reload the computer and several times before loading the OS press one of the keys: “Del”, F1, F2, F3 or ESC to call the BIOS menu (the command selection depends on the manufacturer of your PC or laptop or the motherboard manufacturer).
In the BIOS, go to the Advanced Settings section. Boot Device Priority and select our boot disk: CD ROM or USB Flash Drive so that after rebooting the computer starts from it.
Press F10 and OK to save and exit BIOS. After an automatic reboot, this window will appear.
Press any key to start the installation program.
SHIFT F10 key combination Call command window.
For windows 8 or 8.1 We do it differently: “Language. Diagnostics. Additional Features. Command Line“.
Further actions completely repeat the formatting process using the command line, starting from the 2nd point.
Manual, how to format the computer and install Windows XP is even easier:
- Take Live Cd,
- Select the boot from the required drive in the BIOS,
- Loading in the installer,
- Select in the conductor disk,
- Click on it right mouse button,
How to format a hard disk using “Disk Management
Another way to format the hard disk using the built-in tools is the program “Disc Control”. To open this program, press the WindowsR key combination and in the window that appears, enter the “DiskMGMT” command.MSC ».
As a result, before you will open a window with a list of hard drives. In order to format the hard disk Find the disk you need here, click on it right mouse button and select “Format”.
After that, a window will appear with formatting settings. Here you can select the volume label, file system and cluster size. If you are not sure which settings you need, you can just leave standard. To start the disk formatting just click on the “OK” button.
A bit of theory
In general, under formatting, the hard disk markup process is understood during which a certain file system is created (table). With this logical table, in the future, it will be written and read from the surface of the disk all the information with which it will work.
These tables can be different, which is completely logical, because the information can be ordered by in different ways. What will you have a table will depend on the file system.
During disk formatting, you will have to specify the file system (required). To date, the most popular file systems are FAT 32 and NTFS. They have their own features. For the user, perhaps the main thing is that FAT 32 does not support more than 4 GB files. For modern films and games. this is already not enough if you install Windows 7, Vista, 8. format the disk in NTFS.
1) fast and complete formatting what’s the difference?
With quick formatting, everything is extremely simple: the computer believes that the disc is clean and creates a table. T.E. I physically did not go anywhere, just those parts of the disk to which they were recorded ceased to be perceived by the system as busy By the way, many programs for restoring remote files are based on it.
When full formatting of the hard disk sector is checked for damaged blocks. Such formatting can delay for a long time, especially if the hard disk size is not small. Physically, the data from the hard disk is also not deleted.
2) Is it harmful to HDD often formatting
No harmful. With the same success about the pledge, you can say about recording, reading files.
3) How to physically delete files from the hard disk?
Banal. write other information. There is also a special software that removes all the information so that it cannot be restored by any utilities.
Why formatting is required
In some cases, and over a certain period of time, it is necessary to format the Winchester (hard disk), as it makes it easy to update it. Due to the fact that the Windows Operations is sometimes clogged, that is, it contains irrelevant, old and non-current files, the files, the formatting will be very useful. It will help get rid of such files that occupy some amount of memory space and are able to have a negative effect on the productivity of the system.
For its convenience, the owners of the PC periodically install and remove the applications you need from the computer. As a result, the file dump, provoking serious problems, arises and intensively expands: Each application, becoming part of the OS, affects the configuration of the entire medium. Effectively solve this problem with the most optimal way to make the solution to format the railway (hard disk) after certain temporary segments and reinstall the operating system.
Despite the radicality of this method, it is the most effective, because the destruction of not only useless files, but also malicious programs, viruses. For this reason, it is recommended before forming a hard disk, overwrite on some other carriers the basic data to not lose them.
It is worth noting that when formatting on the hard disk sectors, utilities are created that are necessary to search for data and correctly working with them (read, recording, deletion). In addition to this procedure, the format creates service information intended for the file system. Due to the fact that unintended discs are useless for use, formatting acts as a priority operation to prepare a new “technological” disk to successful work.
Thus, to reduce the risk of loss of important data in an indefinable future, formatting will help achieve:
- guaranteed to quickly clean the hard drive;
- effective detection of presence of Badblocks (damaged disk sectors);
- High-quality monitoring of all kinds of defective zones.
How to format a hard drive:
Using standard Windows tools
This is the easiest way of formatting suitable for any types of drives, except for those installed by the operating system itself. This is done as follows:
- To begin with, you will need to go to the folder on the desktop “My Computer” and select the disc you want to format. On it, you need to right-click and select the “Format” string in the opened menu;
- A window will appear in which it is not recommended to change the parameters. However, the user can remove a tick next to the “Fast Formatting” string in case it wants data from a personal computer to be completely removed and, along with this, damage has been corrected;
- Next, you need to click on the “Start” button, after which the hard disk formatting process will start.
Through the command line
In the Tool, the command line has a special command “Format”, with which disk formatting to the specified file system. Thanks to the presented command, the user will be able to format those partitions on the disk to which the Windows operating system is not installed.
In case there are several partitions on the hard disk, for example, the D and E disk that must be formatted, then using the command presented above, first disk formatting, and then the second. If an additional hard disk is connected to a personal computer, the user can format it completely because it does not have an operating system.
Make formatting through the Windows command line as follows:
- To begin with the command line on behalf of the administrator;
- In the open command, the string is entered to format a disk formatting: Format D: / FS: NTFS; It is worth noting that in this command “D”. this is the name of the local disk on the personal computer, which must be formatted. “FS: NTFS” is the selected file system, instead you can choose any other suitable.
- Next, the volume label is entered for a disk that needs to format. The user can choose any convenient name that can later be changed in Windows settings;
- Now you need to click on the Y button for consent with the hard disk formatting conditions, after which the user must click on the ENTER button on the keyboard. In addition, a warning will appear on the screen that, as a result of the procedure, all data from the disk will be destroyed;
- As soon as the above steps will be performed, the hard disk formatting process will begin.
To format a hard disk via BIOS, one of the disk managers can be used. The most popular is the File Manager Aomei Partition Assistant Standard Edition. This is done as follows:
- First need to download, install and download the program presented. In addition, you will need to create a bootable medium on the Windows PE platform, light version. To do this, go to the section called “Make Foot CD”;
- Next, you must select the type of bootable media and click on the “Go” button;
- The user must wait for the end of the process and after clicking on the “End” button;
- In the next step, you will need to restart the personal computer and go to BIOS mode by clicking on the Delete or ESC key after the initial test. Depending on the model and version of the motherboard, other ways to enter the BIOS: F2, Ctrl F2, F8 and others can be used. There will be required to change the priority of downloading to the necessary, confirm the changes in the settings and exit the firmware;
- Next Windows Preinstallation Environment. You must open Aomei Partition Assistant and find item called “Section Formatting”. The user must select the file system and click on the “OK” button;