SD card corrupted, Android. how to fix with and without formatting
With the help of SD-card smartphone users can increase the amount of disk space used by applications. Nevertheless, often phone owners are faced with the problem of memory card malfunction. The device may not display the flash drive, or it may cause errors when opening programs on the drive. That’s why users often ask what to do if the SD card is damaged, and how to restore its functionality on Android.
Choosing the file system format for Android
Memory cards are used in almost every Android device. And despite the fact that the latest models have a tendency to gradually abandon their use at the expense of increasing the internal storage capacity, they still continue to be very popular. They take up minimal space, allow you to rewrite data multiple times, and have a high speed of information exchange.
The right format when formatting a flash drive will increase the stability of your Android device.
From time to time you may need to format a flash drive on your device. The reasons may be different. some kind of malfunction, slow operation, the appearance of errors in writing or reading, or you just need to prepare the accessory to work on a new device. At this point, many people have questions about which file system is the best for your device. If you format the memory card directly on the device, all the parameters are chosen automatically, when formatting via computer, there are four formats you can choose from a list.
Let’s find out what they are and which memory card format is most suitable for your Android device, because the correct choice will depend on the stability of your smartphone or tablet.
How to format an SD card on a computer
When formatting the card through your phone you miss the most important thing: the chance to choose the right format. So, if the flash drive has the NTFS file system, the mobile device will not detect it. In such a case do not despair, because the computer can help you.
There are several ways to connect the SD card to the PC:
The first option is one of the most widespread. To perform the operation the owner of a mobile device will need
- Insert USB flash drive into your phone.
- Connect the device to a PC using the USB cable provided.
- Go to “My Computer”.
- Move cursor to the memory card folder.
- Press the right mouse button.
- Select “Format”.
- Specify FAT32 as a format.
- Start formatting process.
Minimum time required for flash drive formatting. Usually it takes 1-2 minutes or even a few seconds. Soon the drive will be cleaned up and brought back to the right format.
If the computer does not see the phone and the flash drive when connected via USB, select “Connect as a media device” in the pop-up window of the mobile device. Otherwise smartphone will only be able to charge.
You can also use a plastic adapter to connect the memory card to a PC. It converts the MicroSD card into an SD card, which can then be inserted into a slot on a computer or laptop. Then you need to repeat all steps of the above algorithm, starting from the third step.
If the PC does not have an SD-slot, you can use the USB interface. But in addition you need to buy an adapter. Then follow the 6 steps from the instruction above.
How to format a USB stick on your Android phone using settings
Regardless of the reason for formatting the MicroSD card, it is done in the same way. The procedure can be used to delete all files, fix partition failures, prepare the map for use in another gadget. In all these cases, the standard formatting process applies.
The developers of the operating system have a convenient way. There is a tool for easy formatting in every version of the software. The easiest option is to format using the device settings.
In order to perform the procedure through the settings, the following steps are required:
- Insert SD card into special slot. Check that the system detects its presence.
- Once the flash drive is active, the user can open it with a file manager or phone settings.
- Then you need to find the menu section. “Settings”, “Memory”, “Storage”.
- Further steps will depend on the model of the gadget. If it is a Samsung, then to format it, you need to disable the card, then click on the “Format card” button.
Most often the “Format SD” function is active immediately. The owner of the phone can quickly empty the drive of all files.
Important! All information on the card will be deleted without possibility of recovery.
Formatting through the settings of the gadget refers to the most convenient and easiest way
How to format your Samsung phone completely and without problems?
Ways to format your Samsung phone you will need if you want to sell the device or give it to another person, a relative. It is also the “last step” in many troubleshooting instructions for problems that cannot be solved by other methods. Formatting erases all data from the device, removes accounts and returns it to the state it was in the box. unless you count its wear and tear. Make sure to save all your data before formatting. On how to format a device from Samsung, I will explain in detail in this article.
The best format to format the memory card on Android
Despite the large amount of internal memory of modern Android devices, almost every smartphone supports the use of a miniature memory card of various sizes. SD must be formatted in one of the supported formats in order to be read properly. In the course of this article we will discuss the best options for the type of file system depending on the information.
Formatting the memory card on the device itself
This is the easiest and fastest way to clear the data on the flash drive. You will definitely not make a mistake when choosing the file system format, as well as eliminate errors in the cable or USB-connector of your computer or laptop, because they can be too. If you choose to format the card on the device itself, follow the steps from the list below.
- Insert the card into the device correctly. The slot may be on the side, under the cover, or even under the battery. There is usually a diagram next to the slot that tells you which side you insert it.
- Take care to keep all important data stored on the flash drive. You can do this by uploading files to cloud storage, such as Google Drive, or by connecting the device to a computer and copying the data to a separate folder.
- Make sure that no programs or processes are running that use the memory card in their work.
- Go to Settings. Memory. It will display two partitions: internal memory and external drive.
- Scroll down, select “Clear memory card” or “Format memory card”. The system will ask for a security code, if you have installed it. It can be a PIN, a password, or a graphic key. Type it in to confirm the operation.
- The flash drive will automatically disconnect, purge, and then reconnect. This will literally take a couple of seconds.
- That’s it, the flash drive is ready for use on your device.
Ways to format the SD card on Android
There are only a few ways to completely clear the flash drive installed on your mobile gadget:
Note that there are also several options for connecting the flash drive to the computer. We will talk about them below.
In addition, when formatting an SD card through a PC, it is important to know what format the flash drive should be in, since the file systems of Windows and Android may be different. We’ll tell you which file system you need to choose. If formatting is performed through the settings of the phone, this question does not arise, because there is no possibility to select the file system format. So, let’s break down all the options in more detail.
Full memory clearance via Smartphone settings
Every mobile device with the Android operating system has a formatting function. There are two ways to do it. The easiest option for Android is to format the memory card through the system settings. Let’s take the example of the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 with version Android 8.0:
- Open additional memory settings. To do this, click on the button in the form of three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the screen (or press and hold down the “Back” button for a few seconds) and select the item “memory settings”.
Format USB Pen Drive / Hard Disk using Samsung Galaxy Phone
This is the easiest way, how to format the SD card correctly on the phone. There is another way, but it involves resetting the device to factory settings. In this case, the internal storage of the smartphone will be cleared of all data, at the same time you can choose to format the flash drive. This method should be resorted to only in extreme cases.
Formatting the SD card via a computer
Immediately it is worth clarifying that when you connect the phone to the computer through a USB cable, you will not be able to format the memory of the connected device. You will be able to work with the flash drive, copy, move and even delete files, but the formatting will not be available. You need to remove the flash drive from the smartphone and connect it to the computer via the card reader.
Today you can find different types of flash cards for mobile devices, but the most popular are used:
M2 flash drives are quite rare. Most of the modern smartphones support micro SD cards. Specify the type of your flash drive easily this information is listed on the memory card.
So, after connecting the flash drive to the computer through the card reader is necessary:
- Choose “Format“.
- In the window that appears, specify the formatting parameters:
- File system. FAT32 (Android devices only support it).
- Distribution unit size. by default the average value is 4096 bytes. But if you want you can set a different cluster size. There is one rule: the smaller the cluster size, the tighter the space will be filled (in fact, more information will fit on the flash drive). The bigger the cluster size, the faster the memory will work (read and write). Therefore, it is important to choose an average value that is optimal between speed and fill density. Anyway you won’t notice any difference, so it’s better to prefer the speed.
- The volume label is just the name of the flash drive, which will be displayed on subsequent connections to the computer.
After completing the procedure, you can remove the flash drive and insert it into the smartphone.
Formatting via the Recovery menu
Another way how to format the SD card on Android is to perform a cleanup through the Recovery menu. This is something like a computer BIOS, only for mobile gadgets. Unfortunately, the standard Recovery does not support flash drives formatting, that’s why many enthusiasts install the custom variants of the plugin. CWM or TWRP. This firmware has extended functionality and allows to work separately with both internal and external (flash) memory. It is important to understand that when installing the custom Recovery you lose your warranty. And in the case of problems the responsibility lies only on you. You also need root rights to install CWM or TWRP.
It is much easier to use the appropriate application for Android. A program to format micro SDs is freely available on Google Play, called SD card formatter. There are other analogs, but they all work on the same principle:
Some programs allow you to make certain adjustments. But in essence this does not change anything.
It is worth noting that when performing the formatting directly on your smartphone (through the settings or with the app) is not necessary to specify what file system for micro SD will be installed, as smartphone supports only FAT32 and sets it automatically.
Formatting a memory card on your phone
Before you can expand the internal storage of your mobile device with a microSD card (whether it is new or previously used) you need to format it. You can do this directly on the phone, just a few taps on the screen.