Apple Watch with NFC Comparison Table
|Apple Watch Series 1 38mm||Apple Watch Series 2 38mm||Apple Watch Series 3 42mm||Apple Watch Series 4 44mm|
|Processor||Apple S1 CPU 520 MHz Cortex A7 GPU^ PowerVR||Apple S2 2CPU 520 MHzGPU^ PowerVR||Apple S3 2CPU 768 MHzGPU^ PowerVR||Apple S4 2CPU 768 MHzGPU^ PowerVR|
|Memory||512MB LPDDR3 RAM / 8GB NAND||512MB LPDDR3 RAM / 8GB NAND||512MB LPDDR3 RAM / 8GB NAND||512MB LPDDR3 RAM / 16GB NAND|
|Display||1.32″ 272×340 OLED450 nits brightness||1.32″ 272×340 OLED1000 nits brightness||1,73″|
NFC-chip is a small flat (round or square) chip made of flexible materials. Compact size allows the chip to be mounted even in ultra-thin iPhone models. Technology of activation and interaction based on the generation of electromagnetic field at short distances. Generation is through a special loop antenna installed in both the source and the consumer. Not all iPhone models are available with proximity function.
Option is supported from iPhone 5s and higher.
Technical parameters of the chips in the iPhone
|Minimum distance for interaction||see||0,5|
|Maximum distance for interaction||see||20|
|Data encoding method||Manchester|
|Connection mode||Passive: reception only|
The milliseconds it takes to establish a connection and perform a transaction, as well as the small radiation radius, allow NFC technology to be classified as a secure method of transferring sensitive data from device to device.
NFC features in the iPhone
The contactless communication chip built into the phone’s working core opens up advanced short-range capabilities to the user:
- mutual payments in cafes, restaurants, gyms, beauty salons;
- card-to-card transfers (in this case, device-to-device);
- Internet payments (on special sites);
- payments in Apple applications, purchase of applications;
- tag management.
NFC option on iPhone 6 and later models does not require any special signal activation. The built-in chip automatically generates and receives a radio wave message when approaching an active or passive source.
In the case of the iPhone, manual activation and optimization of contactless communication is not required.
But in order to activate the capabilities, a number of steps are required.
How To Use NFC Tags With Your iPhone
Activation of the payment function:
- Set Touch ID and security features, iCloud.
- Log in to the Wallet app.
- Find and activate “Add Card” action.
- Enter card data manually or take a picture of it.
- Type the holder’s name, expiration date and CVV code.
- Confirm correctness of data through code from SMS.
- Wait for the “Card is enabled” message.
- Installing the NFC Writer software.
- Scan the tag.
- In the Tag Emulation field, enter the ID number of the tag.
- Activating and completing the emulation.
- Tag is paired with the device.
This article contains information about what is the contactless option in the iPhone, what its features and technical parameters are, what iPhone models are equipped with an embedded chip, how to enable NFC on iPhone, and what additional steps are needed to start using its full functionality. The number of applications and additional services for the iPhone is not as diverse as for android, but the developers are actively working on expanding the use of contactless communication in Apple-gadgets.
- Open Settings, go to If near-field communication is available, you’ll see the NFC column, and below that, Android Beam.
- Tick the box to activate both functions simultaneously.
Face ID-enabled iPhone: Press the side button twice. When the default card appears, tap it, then tap to select another card. Look at your iPhone to authenticate with Face ID, then hold the top of your device near the reader for payment.
The NFC module in the iPhone SE is located at the top, so it’s better to hold the reader on the side of the gadget where the “apple” logo is located. Transmission distance can be as little as 2cm, so proper positioning of the phone is important.
- open the Wallet app;
- Touch the plus icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- In the new window, click Next;
- With help of automatically switched on camera take a picture of the card so that its number can be clearly seen;
How to check and enable NFC?
You don’t need to check if iPhone 6 has NFC, as well as iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 have NFC, the latest iPhone models, starting from iPhone 6, are equipped with NFC. When answering the question “How to turn on NFC on iPhone” we need to say that the chip does not need any special settings or activation. it’s enough to put the phone to another device. The setup will be required to make payments for various Apple services. You’ll need a special Apple ID with iCloud login done. iPhone 6 and 7 models support NFC payment from 8 bank cards, the newer ones will make payment from 12 accounts activated on one device.
- Open “Settings”, go to “”. If Near Field Communication is available, you will see the NFC box, and below that the Android Beam.
- Check the “checkbox” to activate. both functions will be enabled simultaneously.
- Open the “Settings” application on your Android smartphone.
- Then go to the “Connected Devices” section.
- Then go through the list of items in this section, if there is NFC, it means that your device is NFC-enabled.
- Drag the slider to the active NFC mode.
How to test NFC at home to see if it works
After detecting malfunction you need to fix it.
On iPhone 6 and 6S
In Apple devices, NFC technology has only one use: contactless payments. That’s why you can check if the system works only after you’ve set up Apple Pay. To do this, do the following:
- Launch Wallet. The app is pre-installed on all Apple devices.
- Click the plus sign at the top of the program. This will bring up the Add Card menu.
- Read the information and move on to the next item.
- The app will ask how to enter information: manually or with a photo. In the first case, you need to enter the name of the owner, the card number and expiration date, and a security code. In the second case, you need to take a photo of the card face and then write the CVV.
- After submitting the data, check their correctness. Then wait for the system to verify the information.
- Most banks ask for phone number to send a confirmation code. If you have tethered mobile banking, you do not need to enter your phone.
- Finish linking the card, check NFC. To do this, go to your iPhone settings.
- Navigate to Wireless Settings.
- Find Near Field Communication in the list and make sure the technology is enabled. Otherwise activate it.
You should launch Wallet app to make a payment. Choose your card and hold your phone to the device. The user is informed about the successful transfer by a specific sound.
And also the money transfer is done without unlocking. To do this, press home twice, bring your phone up and pass the security check.
On iPhone 7
Reboot your device for NFC troubleshooting. Then it is necessary to:
- Go to settings.
- Open main system settings, go to reset.
- Remove network settings.
- Go to Wallet.
- Delete the tethered cards and add them again.
- Open system settings and change the region.
- Reinstall the operating system by means of DFU.
Remember that once the installation is done, you cannot use backup. There are two ways to check the functionality of the payment system.
Without unlocking the phone, press home twice. Bring your smartphone to the terminal and confirm the money transfer by entering the password to unlock it.
Unlock iPhone and open Wallet. Choose a card you want to pay with. Hold your phone up and confirm payment in the established way.
How to activate NFC to transfer a file
To transfer data or pair your iPhone with another device via NFC, do this:
- Update device to the latest version of iOS.
- Open “Commands”. “Automation”.
- Press “” in the upper right corner and select “Create an automation for yourself”.
How to activate the module on the iPhone
NFC-technology does not require additional activation. The point is that the chip is capable of automatically generating as well as receiving signals when you bring the device to the payment terminal. It considerably simplifies the process of making purchases.
Which iPhones have the option? Apple has started to build the chip with such technology into all smartphones, starting from version 6. There is also an option on iPads and smart watches.
You can check the availability of contactless purchase possibility on your phone by yourself. To do this, open the “Settings” section and go to the “Wireless Networks” tab. If there is no function in the menu that opens, then the phone you are using does not have the feature presented.