Steps to activate developer options on Xiaomi
If we want to get more advanced settings on Xiaomi phones, we have to follow a few simple steps that we show you in the images and also explain:
- To begin with, we only enter the settings of our mobile Xiaomi
- Then we will touch in the section on the phone.
- Now we will repeatedly click on the MIUI version until the message “Developer options have been activated” appears on the screen.
How to activate options and settings Xiaomi Developer
Xiaomi phones, along with MIUI, should do justice to the multitude of customization options and device compression options, but we haven’t been able to take full advantage of this yet. With Xiaomi Developer Options, we will be able to change them and use our mobile even more without restrictions. We will explain the steps to follow to activate the options on Xiaomi and everything we can do.
It doesn’t matter if we have a Xiaomi mobile phone with MIUI 10, MIUI 11 or MIUI 12 because the steps to activate them will be the same, however, it is possible that we will find different options. After activation, we will not need to repeat them again, and we will always have these options at hand on our mobile phone.
How to Enable Developer Mode on Xiaomi MIUI Devices
Access to added options in MIUI
Once we activate them, we just need to enter them to find out all the advanced options that they give us. We’ll do this again in the settings by going to an option called advanced settings. Inside, we scroll again until we find the developer options section, which gives way to each of the available options.
All developer options on Xiaomi
Once we have activated them and have learned how to find them, it’s time to find out everything we can do with these parameters, which are presented in a list that exceeds fifty parameters in MIUI 11. A number of options that expand the capabilities of our mobile phone, although we must go ahead, because we can activate some kind of option that will change what we should not.
- Password on the backup screen.
- Hold the screen while charging.
- Bluetooth HCI Tracking Log.
- Unlock the bootloader.
- Use WebView.
- Check device lock.
- Automatic system updates.
- Activate demo mode to hide notifications.
- System theme.
- Icon Design Tools.
- Apps can have an unlocked phone.
- Lock your smartphone in apps without permissions.
- Continue USB debugging.
- Remove USB authorization.
- Use apps to create fake locations.
- GNSS frequency recording.
- See Attributes.
- Change debug app.
- Check application bytecode.
- Buffer size.
- Select log levels.
- Allow USB debugging on GPU.
- Change game control settings.
- Registration of activities on a mobile phone.
- Certify Wireless Playback.
- Expand your Wi-Fi coverage.
- Extend Wi-Fi Registration.
- Limit Wi-Fi Search Using Battery.
- Always activate mobile data.
- Hardware acceleration anchor.
- Default USB settings.
- Disable absolute volume over bluetooth.
- Change Bluetooth version.
- Bluetooth audio codec.
- Bluetooth sampling rate.
- Bluetooth audio bits.
- Show touches on the screen.
- Show pointer on screen.
- Show screen updates.
- Show design constraints.
- Change animation speed.
- Change animation timing.
- Simulation of additional screens.
- Change screen width.
- Change crop angle.
- Show hardware level updates.
- Forced dark mode.
- Imitation of flowers.
- Disable audio transmission.
- Enable strict mode.
- Close all processes on exit.
- Change background process limit.
- Show dialog on crashes.
- Change the priority of notifications.
- Enable freeform windows. Force desktop mode on screens.
- Restrict access to calls and SMS.
- Activate the bubbles.
- Maximum requests.
- Reset autocomplete function.
- Highlight the colors.
- Change the title and main font.
- Change the shape of the icons.
- Optimize MIUI
- Notify about dangerous functions.
How to enter developer mode on Xiaomi?
First of all, go to the smartphone settings and click on the lowest button. “About phone”.
In the list that opens, we look for the item “Firmware version” and quickly click on it 7 times. This will cause the display to show the message “Developer options are open” or something like that.
Then you should go back one screen and go to the “Advanced” section. Among other items of the section there will be the one that we have just activated. “For Developers”.
Depending on the version of the operating system and firmware, the list of available options for this mode may vary.
The main option from this section that many smartphone owners need is USB debugging. It allows using a computer to install various firmware on a smartphone, root access, restore a broken smartphone or test self-written software.
How to enable developer mode on a Xiaomi smartphone?
Developer mode is a special section of smartphone settings that allows you to expand the capabilities of the Android operating system. By default, it is hidden from prying eyes and to find it, you need to perform some actions.
How to remove developer mode on Xiaomi?
If you no longer need this section of the menu, you can remove it from view.
To do this, go to the smartphone settings and click on the item “All applications”.
From the list of available programs, select “Settings” and in the window that opens, click on the button “Erase data”.
All that remains is to confirm your intentions by clicking on the “OK” button in the pop-up window.
Other useful information:
How to enable developer options on Xiaomi Redmi Android devices
I recently bought a Xiaomi Redmi 4 Android device, my second Xiaomi device after Xiaomi Mi4c which I bought some time ago.
Both devices come with Xiaomi’s MIUI system, which tweaks quite a few things on the device. One of the things I like to do on Android devices. this enables developer mode as it gives me access to a number of important features and options that are not otherwise available.
One of the features that developer mode gives you access to. this is, for example, the USB debugging mode that Android developers use, among other things, to debug applications on their devices.
But developer mode offers something more. It can display options for unlocking the bootloader, turning off the screen, going into power saving mode when charging the device, limiting background processes, displaying CPU usage on the screen, or switching apps from active to inactive (can run in the background, not allowed to run in the background).
Developer mode on Xiaomi Redmi devices
Enabling developer mode on Xiaomi Redmi devices (and most other Xiaomi devices) is pretty simple. However, there is no visible option for this in settings or elsewhere, and if you try to figure it out on your own, you will never find this option unless you have enabled it on your previous Android device.
Note: You are prompted to enable USB debugging every time you connect your Android device via USB to your computer after enabling developer mode.
What you need to do depends on your Android device. On Redmi devices, you need to open Settings and then About phone page when Settings opens.
There you need to find the MIUI version entry and click on it several times. The device will eventually respond to the press by counting the number of remaining taps until the device is in developer mode.
Note that you only need to do this once, not every time you want to access developer options on a device.
Visit Settings Advanced Settings Developer Options subsequently to manage the new settings that are now available to you.
The page that opens lists all the available developer options. You can enable USB debugging on the page, block applications from running in the background, or change other settings.
The following options are currently available:
- Stay awake. do not turn off the display when connected via USB.
- Skip screen lock. return to home from sleep mode.
- Bluetooth HCI tracking log. capture all bluetooth HCI packets to a file.
- Bluetooth trace log
- OEM unlocking. allow bootloader unlock.
- Mi Unlock status. check device lock status.
- USB debugging. enable USB debugging.
- Revoke USB debugging authorization
- Install via USB. allow application installation via USB.
- USB Debugging (Security Settings).
- Select a mock location app.
- Enable View Attribute Checking.
- Select Debug Application.
- Wait for the debugger.
- Check apps via USB.
- Logger buffer sizes.
- Wireless Display Certification. show parameters.
- Enable Verbose Wi-Fi Logging.
- Aggressive migration from Wi-Fi to cellular.
- Always Allow Wi-Fi Roam Scan.
- Use an old DHCP client.
- Cellular data is always active.
- Select USB configuration.
- Show touches and / or pointer location on screen.
- Show surface updates.
- Show layout borders.
- Set direction of RTL layout.
- Window animation scale.
- Transition animation scale.
- Animator duration scale.
- Simulate secondary displays.
- GPU forced rendering.
- Show GPU View Updates.
- Show hardware level updates.
- Debugging GPU Redrawing.
- Debugging Non-Rectangular Trim Operations.
- Force 4x MSAA
- Disable HW overlays.
- Simulate a color space.
- Disable USB audio rooting.
- Strict mode enabled.
- Show cpu usage.
- Graphics rendering profile.
- Turn on OpenGPL tracing.
- Don’t do business.
- Limiting a background process.
- Optimizing memory.
- Show All ANR.
- Inactive applications. specify which applications can run in the background.
- Forced closed applications.
- Turn on MIUI optimization.
- Record background ANR cases.
- Write down ANR intervals.
- Enable ANR debugging.
Most of the options are only of interest to developers. However, some of them are useful for all users of the device as they give you control over the behavior of the background application and other things that you cannot otherwise control.
Now it’s your turn: Have you turned on developer options on your smartphone?
Developer mode on Xiaomi
Settings for developers significantly expand the functionality of your phone, and at the same time, you do not need to install third-party firmware or get root rights in the system.
Also, the mode for developers allows you to perform performance tests on the phone, record the operation log of various applications, errors in the system, configure wireless connections, adjust sound, animation and performance of the smartphone.
Developer Mode: Multimedia
There is only one option here: Disable USB audio transmission. By activating this function, you will prevent the transmission of sound to external USB devices connected to the phone.
Developer Mode: Network Settings
- charging only;
- MTP. transfer of media files;
- PTP. transfer of photos;
- RNDIS. a phone as a USB modem;
- sound source;
- MIDI. Data exchange with musical instruments (when connecting a smartphone to a musical set).
Developer Mode: Monitoring
Activate developer mode for the following features to become available:
- Password for backups. When you back up your data, it is not secured by default, anyone can access your data. But you can set a password for the archive with files.
- Do not turn off the screen. while charging, the phone screen will always be on.
- Skip lock screen. go straight to the desktop when you wake up. Do not enable this feature to protect your phone and personal data from third parties.
- Bluetooth HCI log. all transmitted data packets are logged.
- Bluetooth Trace Log. On / Off. Tracing allows you to see the work of the program step by step. action by action. This is necessary to find weaknesses and either protect the application or hack it.
- OEM Unlock. Allows unlocking the OS bootloader. This is needed to get root-rights on the phone and install custom firmware.
- Running Applications. View and manage running applications. Just select the application and force it to stop working.
- Service WebView. allows you to open links to sites on the Internet inside a running application. I have a Chrome browser on my phone.
- Demo mode. the clock in the status bar will stop and the battery and network alarm icons will be shown full. To undo the changes, turn off the demo mode or restart the phone.
- Fragments of quick settings: Show boundaries of objects;
- profile GPU rendering. improves the image on the screen, but slows down the overall performance of the device;
- mirror interface. Position of icons and settings as in mirror image;
- animation of windows. enable animation.
To unlock the bootloader, do the following:
- SIM card must be inserted into the phone.
- Disable Wi-Fi and enable mobile internet (data transfer). Make sure the internet is working.
- Click on the “Link account with device” button (see screenshot above) to link your Mi account with this phone.
- Download the unlock utility from unlock.update.miui.com. To unlock, connect the phone to the computer via a cable, follow the instructions of the program.
Developer mode on Xiaomi. how to enable and what it gives
MIUI is a proprietary shell from Xiaomi, which is installed on top of Android on most of the company’s smartphones and is distinguished by increased functionality compared to “bare” Android. But even the functionality of MIUI can be expanded even further in the developer settings. Read more in our article.
What is Developer Mode in general??
In fact, developer mode is available on almost any smartphone running on the Android operating system. at least, devices running on “pure” Android provide an opportunity to “feel” the settings sections hidden in the system. As the name implies, developer mode was created mainly to perform narrowly focused actions or enable experimental or not quite stable device functions. usually this functionality may be needed by game and application developers.
However, this does not mean that there are no settings in the developer mode that would be useful to an ordinary user. One of these possibilities is testing of not yet fully finished, but quite stable operating functions of the firmware.
What you can do with developer mode?
Perhaps the main advantage of using developer mode is the inclusion of USB Debugging, which removes some restrictions in working with a smartphone. First of all, granting permission to Debug allows you to install specialized applications, mainly for diagnosing your device. You can also install some hacked applications (we do not approve the installation of such applications), update the firmware through specialized software and carry out additional optimization of the smartphone.
In addition, the developer mode provides access to changes in some essential elements of the system interface. For example, you can change the animation speed: make it slower for a smooth effect when switching from application to application or inside device settings, or, conversely, speed up it to visually speed up the smartphone itself.
The previous use case is far from the only one, other “secret” settings may carry additional important functions. As always, it all depends on your requests and specific tasks.
How to get into Developer Mode settings?
Like all manipulations with a smartphone, enabling developer mode involves the use of the general Settings of the smartphone. On the desktop, we find the icon in the form of a gear and go to Settings. You don’t have to go far. right away the first item in the list of settings will be the “About phone” section, tap on it.
Inside we are waiting for a list of brief data about your device. You will need to click on the “MIUI Version” item 7 times in a row. While pressing, you will not go to any items, but the line itself will “wink”. You need to press quickly so that the smartphone realizes that you are performing certain manipulations to enter developer mode. After you have clicked 7 times on the “MIUI Version”, the inscription “You have become a developer” will appear at the bottom.
That’s it, now you just need to find this section. This is very easy to do. Go back to the main screen of the Smartphone Settings, scroll down and find the “Advanced Settings” section. A list will open, in which one of the items will be the same section “For Developers”.
There are so many things. Where to press, what is it?
For your convenience, we list all sections of the developer mode. Xiaomi programmers divided all settings into eight groups: general, debugging, network and connections, input settings, rendering, rendering acceleration, multimedia, monitoring, applications. We note right away that such a division still remains conditional. both the names of the items and theirs can change from the Android version and from the device you are using.
In the “General” group, you can find a service that starts the bootloader unlocking procedure. a limitation that prevents an ordinary user from changing the software on his device. This service is referred to as “OEM / Factory Unlock”. Also, for many, the option “Do not turn off the screen” will be interesting. if you need your device not to go into the lock in any situation, this feature will be just right for you.
We went through the USB debugging section. the section is really convenient and offers a large number of different actions with the same debugging.
The group of settings “Network and Connections” will contain deeper network settings. We are talking about both mobile communications and any wireless modules. Inside, you can find options such as “Always turn on the search for Wi-Fi networks”, “Do not turn off the mobile Internet”, as well as a very convenient setting of the Audio codec you need for transmission via Bluetooth.
How To Enable Hidden Developer Options In Xiaomi Redmi Note 8
In the “Input Settings” section, there are two settings: “Show touches” (your touches on the device screen will be highlighted) and “Pointer location” (the smartphone will record finger movements on the screen).
The “Rendering” section will provide an opportunity to speed up or speed up the animation of transitions.
In the item “Hardware accelerated rendering” you can configure some elements of the graphical interface. So, you can enable an effect called “4x MSAA for OpenGL ES0”, which in theory should smooth out overlapping images. Also, for people with visual impairments, there is a setting. an anomaly imitation, which will allow you to slightly correct the colors for more convenient viewing of the content.
In “Multimedia” the user can turn off the audio transmission via USB, if he does not need such an option.
In the “Monitoring” section, the user will find the item “Profile GPU rendering”, by turning it on, a graph of the processor load will be displayed on the device screen.
Finally, in the last paragraph, “Applications”, the owner of the device will be able to carry out several manipulations that greatly simplify the use of smartphones. For example, the user will be able to enter the Limit of background processes. especially important for weak devices. Or turn off the MIUI Optimization, due to which, by the way, many Xiaomi smartphones with AMOLED displays do not allow the Always-on-Display function to work “at full”.
As we can see, there are plenty of opportunities for the developer mode. The main thing is that before performing all the manipulations, be sure to study the instructions well so as not to disrupt the normal operation of your smartphone.