Computer literacy with hope
Probably, everyone someday wanted to watch a downloaded film, play some games on the big screen. It’s easier on the couch to watch a movie with comfort, and not sit on a chair near the monitor.
Today, the diagonal of monitors on average is about 20-24 inches, and this is not always enough for the convenience of perception.
And again the sound. The computer is not always able to reproduce the sound as colorful and voluminous, like some modern TVs equipped with excellent acoustic systems. And I already want to watch a movie in good quality both image and sound.
Therefore, most people think about connecting their computer to the TV, thereby making it a huge monitor with sound accompaniment. But many have a question: how can you connect your PC to the TV?
This article describes two ways how to connect a computer to a TV via cable. And in both cases, special cords will be needed:
The option with connecting via Wi-Fi is not considered here.
How to use a TV as a computer monitor
Wikihow works on the principle of wiki, which means that many of our articles are written by several authors. When creating this article on its editing and improvement, 24 people (a) worked, including anonymously.
Number of views of this article: 199 938.
How to connect Windows 10 Laptop to TV for dual monitor setup | Using VGA or HDMI Cable
Want to increase the time spent at the computer? You may need to show the presentation, but there is no projector at hand? Why not connect a computer to 50 “High Clarity TV (HD). Or maybe you want to make a desktop computer out of the laptop, but you do not have a monitor. Most modern computers can easily be connected to modern TVs.
- HDMI. A modern standard for connecting HD devices, and most modern computers have a HDMI connector (on the rear panel). HDMI transfers both the image and sound. HDMI connector looks like an elongated USB port.
- DVI. Digital connector with contacts. Has the shape of a rectangle and three rows of eight contacts in each. DVI transfers only the image.
- VGA. Old standard. It has the form of a trapezoid and three rows with 15 contacts. Do not use this connector if you have access to the DVI or HDMI connector, since the VGA connector provides an image of low quality. VGA conveys only the image and cannot display the picture in the HD quality.
- Most modern TVs have one or more HDMI connectors. This is the fastest and easiest way to connect the computer to the TV, and this connector provides the best image quality. HDMI cable is the only type of cable through which both video and audio signal are transmitted.
- DVI connector is not so common, but it can still be found in many modern TVs.
- VGA connectors, as a rule, are not in HD TVs, but they are in ordinary TVs.
Pay attention to the marking of the input signal in your TV. This will help you correctly configure the TV to display a signal from a computer.
- If there are no identical connectors on the computer and on the TV, you will need an adapter. For example, if there is a DVI connector on the computer, and the HDMI connector is on the TV, buy an adapter or dvi-hdmi cable. In this case, the audio signal through HDMI will not be transmitted, since the DVI standard does not support sound transmission.
- To transmit sound from a laptop, use a 3.5 mm audio cable and connect it to the headphone jack in your laptop. On a desktop computer, use a green headphone connector (on the rear panel of the computer). When connecting an audio cable to the TV, use one 3.5 mm audio plug or two RCA-strokes.
- If you connect via VGA, first turn off the computer and TV. In the case of DVI and HDMI, this is not necessary.
Switch the TV to receive a signal from the corresponding connector. To do this, use the “Source” button (source) or “Input” (input) on the remote control. The selected connector must correspond to the connector to which you connected the cable.
As we have already mentioned, the VGA Inte Wee is only the image of the image. In order to get the sound, the easiest way to use the Mini-Jack cable, connecting them a computer output, marked with green and a similar entrance to the TV. The cable has the same connector as widely used to switch almost all types of audio devices: MP3 players, music centers, headphones, etc.D. When displaying a multi.channel sound, a connecting cable with color marking of the connectors is used, so the connection should not cause you any difficulties.
Sometimes it happens that, despite the correctly executed connection, the computer does not see the TV via VGA. In this case, there are several ways to solve the problem:
Why connect a computer to a TV at all
When connecting PC to the TV, the latter begins to play the role of the monitor. What opportunities does this provide the user? First of all, of course, watching films and series on a convenient large screen. You can watch your favorite tape alone at the computer table, but for family gatherings, a TV and a cozy sofa are more suitable.
For a small computer monitor, the family is much more difficult to collect
The second purpose is to turn a computer into a semblance of a game console. If you have a large quality TV, but there is no good monitor, then you can evaluate modern games with cool graphics by connecting PC to TV. Of course, this will not improve the performance of your computer, but can significantly increase resolution, especially if you have an old monitor.
Do not forget about home and video presentations! If relatives came to you, and you want to please them with high.quality family pictures, then you can not come up with a better platform for this than a TV. By connecting PC to it, you can demonstrate photos of photos in a more spectacular format.
Convert vga to hdmi with audio to connect an old PC to a new TV
How to connect a computer to a TV
Co.author (s): luigi opdido. Luigi OPDIDO- owner and technician of the company repair company Pleasure Point Computers in Santa Cruze, California. Has more than 25 years of experience in repairing computers, updating, restoring data and removing viruses. The Computer Man Show is also conducting more than two years! on KSCO in Central California.
The number of views of this article: 104 239.
From this article you will learn how to convey an image and sound from a computer to a TV using a HDMI cable, DVI or VGA cable, as well as on a wireless network on a smart TV or streaming device. HDMI cable can transmit an image of high clarity and sound through one cable. VGA cable conveys only the image, so the sound must be sent by a separate cable. Some DVI ports on computers are able to send audio signals, but most of them are not. Read the instructions for your computer and TV to find out which connectors you should use.
Connect the computer to the TV using an HDMI cable with two pin ends. HDMI ports on the computer and on the TV are the same, and at both ends of the HDMI cable there should be the same plug.  X competent source
- If the TV has several HDMI ports, select the port to which the computer is connected.
- Some TVs change the incoming signal automatically when they find it.
Click with the right mouse button on the desktop and select the screen parameters. The display settings will open.
Click to determine. On each square, an explanation will be displayed so that you know which number is assigned to the monitor, and which. the TV (1 denotes the main screen, and 2. secondary).
Is it possible to connect the monitor to the TV setting
In most cases, the answer is positive. But not all monitors are suitable for connecting to TV settings. You have to conduct a small check:
- The resolution of the monitor should be at least 1280×720. All modern TV settings broadcast in resolution from 720r and higher, so the small monitor will not work for us.
- Now compare the nests. TV settings, as a rule, are equipped with HDMI and/or DVI ports, scart occurs occasionally. Compare the ports on the monitor and the prefix. Are there the same? If so, then everything is in order. If not, then you do not connect the monitor without a special adapter VGA-HDMI (or VGA-DVI, if the prefix is only with a DVI port). It can be bought at the electronics store for 200-300.
- If both HDMI and DVI ports have both the prefix and the monitor, then choose the connection via HDMI. So the image will be better.
- Let’s check the support of the HDCP protocol. TV settings, as a rule, use this protocol to protect television broadcasting from piracy. The monitor must support it. How to check it? Contact the documentation that went with the monitor. If you do not have it, go to the manufacturer’s website. there you can probably download the file with characteristics. If your monitor model is no longer available (or you have not found a specification on the site), just contact the manufacturer on a hot line or in a chat on an official website. What is the monitor model. the employee will be able to provide you the necessary data.
You can check HDCP support “Pump method”. Connect the monitor to the console (the procedure is described below). On the screen gray stripes or interference? So the protocol is not supported. And if the image still appeared, then everything is in order.
Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection
If TV does not have a Wi-fi-adapter, but it has an Ethernet slice, it can be connected to a home network that has a petal.
To connect two devices via LAN, you need:
- The presence of a TV eternet-sharing;
- Long network wire so as not to substitute devices closer to each other.
- A router distributing a network to both devices.
- A special program that allows you to broadcast films on a large display.
You can install and use programs:
There are many analogues of the program. Each similar software uses the technology of the exchange of media content DLNA. How to connect a laptop to a TV via cable:
- Using the Ethernet pipeline, connect TV to the router.
- Connect the laptop through the wire or wi-fi.
- Install a program for launching media on the display.
- Launch the broadcast by pressing the “launch”.
You can work with the program, for example, in Home Media Server:
Find movies and other video files on the computer and drag into the playback window on the display.
Watch IP-TV using the stream of Internet television from the connected Media player VLC.
You can work with the program integer with both PC and TV.
IP-TV settings through Home Media Server is well described in this video.
Connecting a laptop to a TV via s-video
The component analog S-Video Inte Wee is designed to transmit a separate video signal. The image quality is quite low, so this connector is extremely rare, although it is present on many TVs and laptops.
Connection of the laptop to the TV via S-Video occurs similarly to all the integers described, but as a signal source, “component” should be indicated.
The transmission of the audio signal this integration does not support. If you have a TV SCART connector, you can transfer the sound from a laptop to a TV through a special adapter that combines the inputs for S-Video and the composite RCA cable: