How to connect a rear view camera
Now many companies selling automotive electronics offer the services of their technical centers for the installation of radio tape recorders, alarms, rear and side view cameras.
Often the cost of such work is quite high, which forces many car owners to install rear-view cameras on their car on their own.
Many people prefer to do this in order not to give large sums to specialists.
Installing a car rear view camera
Before starting any work on the car’s electrical system, assess your capabilities and knowledge in the field of electrical engineering.
If you are NOT sure of a positive result, it is better to seek help from a professional auto electrician or service center.
If you decide to do everything yourself, first of all, disconnect the positive terminal on the car battery to avoid a short circuit and fire the electrical wiring.
All rear view cameras for cars, regardless of the installation location, are connected in the same way.
Power to the rear view camera comes from the reversing light.
This is done so that the camera turns on only at the same time as it starts moving backward.
The peculiarity of such cameras is that rear-view cameras cannot work in a constant mode, unlike conventional CCTV cameras.
They should only be switched on for a short period of time, no more than an hour.
This time is quite enough to get into the parking space.
How to properly connect the power of the rear view camera
It is necessary to connect the red power wire (phase) of the camera and the red (phase) wire from the flashlight.
Installing a fuse on this pin is not required.
At this stage, the power supply of the camera is completely completed.
You can start connecting the video cable.
Fuse. required element when connecting
Any new equipment in the car is connected to the on-board power supply only through fuses in order to avoid short circuits and fire wiring.
All fuses are selected depending on the power of the device to which they are connected.
Consult a professional to avoid mistakes when connecting.
Laying the video cable in the car
Rear view cameras, like most video devices, have a standard cinch connector for video signal transmission.
This connector is usually marked yellow.
Exactly the same output with a yellow plug can be seen on any TVs, camcorders and VCR.
The camera comes with a 5 meter video cable for in-car cabling.
This length is more than enough for installing a camera in a large jeep.
If the length is not enough (installation of the camera in a bus, limousine or truck), the cable can be easily extended with a second cable of exactly the same.
Connect video output
When the cable is already laid in the cabin and connected to the camera, we can connect it to the radio tape recorder or the on-board computer monitor.
For detailed information on connecting a camcorder to a specific radio tape recorder, see the instructions for both devices.
There should be a specification of the radio ports, marking methods and the location of the inputs.
If you have to connect the camera to the usually Auto TV or monitor, then the task is greatly simplified.
You just need to match the connectors of the same color.
Connect monitor power
The monitor is powered in the same way as the camcorder.
The red power wire is connected via a 0.5A fuse to the on-board electrical system, the black wire. with a car body through any bolt or screw.
When all connections are made, you need to check the correctness of all wire connections to avoid short circuits.
It is recommended to seal the joints of the video cable with each other with an overlapping vinyl tape.
This will protect the wires from disconnecting the plugs due to shaking from driving.
The last stage of connection is to install the positive terminal back on the car battery, as well as check the system is working.
Now you know how to install a rear view camera on your car.
How to properly connect a rear view camera
Many modern cars already in the basic configuration have such a useful option as parking sensors. It helps novice motorists to park in tight city conditions, as well as feel more confident when reversing. The most visual and operational information about the situation behind the car is provided by a rear-view camera paired with a monitor located on the dashboard. Then motorists who do not have this useful option in their cars can install it with their own hands. The main problem in this work will be the question of how to independently connect a rear view camera. You can cope with the task with a calm and consistent performance of all technological operations.
There are many different camera models on the automotive market today. They differ in price, quality and technical characteristics. Manufacturers care as much as possible so that the car owner can independently install and connect the device, having a certain set of skills and abilities.
- First of all, you should pay attention to the shape of the camera. The further installation procedure will depend on this. Some models are supplied to the retail network with special brackets, while other products must be introduced into the bumper, lighting or trunk lid.
- After choosing a suitable shape, you need to decide on the viewing angle. With a narrow focus of the video sensor, it can be difficult for the driver to assess the whole picture of the situation behind. But the other extreme also negatively affects the driver’s responsiveness. With a large viewing angle, a lot of excess gets into the field of view, so the motorist needs some time to focus on the main objects and objects.
Preparing for installation
The introduction of a rear-view camera will require the car owner to dismantle some of the trim elements and the simplest skills in working with electrical wiring. Removing plastic items is not a rush. It is important to find all the fasteners and also determine the points where the latches are installed. Then, using a set of screwdrivers or sprockets, you can easily prepare the car for installation. Any work on the electrical wiring of the machine must be accompanied by the disconnection of the battery.
- First you have to look into the trunk and determine the places where the wires from the camera enter the interior. There are usually additional plugs, or even better, run the wires next to the existing wiring.
- The “peephole” itself is usually installed in the bumper or in the license plate light. Each owner independently determines the best place for video surveillance in his car. Sometimes you have to completely dismantle the bumper, and someone is limited to removing the plastic backlight strip. In SEPARATE cases, the camera is conveniently placed in the license plate frame, some manufacturers prudently make special mounting slots for installing the camera.
- We’ll have to remove some parts in the front of the cabin. The torpedo and the lower part of the dashboard will have to be disassembled in order to gain access to the wiring and lead the wires to the monitor. Sometimes you have to pull out the car radio.
When most of the preparatory work has been completed, you can proceed with the installation.
Installation and connection
The installation process is individual for each car brand. But a number of common points can be noted for all machines. For work, you may need the following tools and materials:
- Electric drill or screwdriver;
- Soldering iron, acid, solder;
- A set of screwdrivers, stars and other keys;
- Electric wires;
- Glue or sealant;
- Electrical tape or tape.
- You should start with the installation of the peephole. If there are special slots for the video sensor, then you just need to remove the plastic plugs and insert the device into the hole. But how to install a rear view camera in those cars in which the manufacturer did NOT provide for such points? Using an electric drill and a drill of the appropriate diameter, a hole is made in the bumper next to the license plate. Then, using glue or sealant, the camera peephole is glued to the inside of the car part.
- Now you need to pull the wires from the camera into the luggage compartment. First you need to connect the negative wire (usually black) to the vehicle ground. Any bolt is suitable for this, which connects something to the body. It is only important to sand the circle near the bolt or hole to ensure reliable contact. The positive lead (red) is best fed to the reversing lamp power cable. Then the power to the camcorder will be supplied only when the reverse gear is engaged.
- When the camera is connected to the car’s electrical network, you need to run the video cable through the interior and connect it to the monitor. The manufacturer usually equips the camera with a manual of sufficient length, so when choosing a “route” for laying, one should rely on the accessibility and aesthetics of the connection. To prevent the wire from falling under the fasteners and not being accidentally damaged, it should be attached to the body or existing wiring using electrical tape or tape. It is not difficult to connect the video cable to the camera output and the display input, since the wire is equipped with connectors called “tulip”.
- There may be several similar connectors in the parktronic screen. Then you should adhere to the identity of the color on the wire and the video input. Some cars have a display in the radio. In this case, there must be a special input for connecting a camera on the back of the music device.
- When the monitor is connected to the rear view camera, it remains to connect the display to the mains and install it on the dashboard. The negative wire is connected to the mass of the car in the most accessible place, and the positive wire is attached to the power wire of the reversing lamp. It is located in the area of the gearshift lever under the torpedo.
- The monitor can be attached to the panel using self-tapping screws, but it is better to use double-sided tape for mounting.
Checking and setting
After connecting all the wires and devices, it is necessary to check the performance of the resulting video surveillance system. To do this, you need to connect the battery, return the ignition key and engage reverse gear. If a picture with the required image appears on the monitor, you can safely proceed to the assembly of the interior trim.
Many cameras have an adjustable lens. It may be difficult to immediately assess camera performance. Then return the peephole in the right direction it will be possible after a few test drives.
Installing the camera with your own hands will allow you not only to save a significant amount of money, the car owner will know the connection diagram of the device, easily adjust the camera, and find the cause of the breakdown without outside help. Therefore, it is better to try once to avoid visiting the ever-busy workshop masters afterwards.
If you liked this article Tell a friend by clicking on one of the buttons below.
How to install a rear view camera.
This article will explain in detail how to install a rear view camera on a car. I think many of you have wondered more than once what the price of the issue is.
Let’s divide the article into the following parts:
- Pros and cons
- Principle of operation
- Degree of protection
- Installing a rear view camera. Example.
Pros and cons
The undoubted advantage of universal rear-view cameras is the degree of their unification. They are sold without being tied to any equipment, you can attach them to any place convenient for you on the car (or tractor), connect to almost any monitors. The disadvantage of THESE cameras lies in the way they are mounted. They are very easy to steal. Cheap cameras have poor meteorological protection.
Principle of operation
Usually the camera is installed in the center of the license plate mounting frame. Most models have LED backlighting. Often, the camera’s power cable is connected to the vehicle’s electrical system in parallel with the reversing light. Thus, when you turn on the reverse gear, the power goes to the reversing lamp and automatically to the video camera. After that, the video signal from the camera is transmitted to the monitor installed in the car interior. Accordingly, once reverse gear is turned off, the camera does NOT receive power. As well as the signal to the monitor. Today, there are monitors built into the rearview mirror on sale. But this option is not very practical. “Old Believer” Drivers Do Not Recognize Ego.
Degree of protection
For good, make everything. Should withstand the IP 65 standard, if this is the case, the camera will serve you for a long time. In practice, cheap Chinese cameras can easily withstand the “Central European” climate. But for the countries of Scandinavia or the Siberian region. For example, you have to buy a more expensive option. In general, thieves remain the main enemy of the camera.
Rear view camera connection
We took the Kia Rio hatchback as a guinea pig. Prepare mentally for a partial disassembly of the trunk lining and the interior of your car.
To begin with, the trim and floor cover are removed in the luggage compartment:
Attention! The crucial moment. In the image above, the footnote “Remember this item”. These are the wires leading to the lock. In the same place there will be wires from the camera. It looks like this:
Now it is necessary to dismantle the license plate beneath it will be mounting holes
You probably guessed in the further course of events. Now we need to pass the camera wires through the mounting holes in the bumper and then into the trunk through the plug.
The photo above shows how everything should turn out in the end. It goes without saying that after all actions, the wiring harness should be crimped again to protect it from moisture and dust.
Move on. Removing the side panel (in case the left, and there as who like)
For further actions, it is advisable to look into the wiring diagram of your particular car. Well, in general terms, the task is as follows: connect the red power cable of the camera (plus) with the “plus” of the reversing light. To do this, you need to Disconnect the block and insert the red wire into the Corresponding pin (most often with a white-orange wire). After that, I return everything to its place (we snap the block).
In total, when you turn on the reverse gear, our camera is activated, and the signal is transmitted to the monitor. Now we need to lay the video cable in the holes already made by the manufacturer in the body by removing the sealing rubber that is located between the ceiling and the skin. The general principle can be seen in the picture.
In a particular case, the monitor and the rearview mirror are a single unit. If the monitor is installed on a dashboard, the cable must be routed in the front pillar and the space between the dashboard and the windshield. After all the tricks, check the system for operability and bring all parts of the cabin to their original form.
Smart radio with a rear view camera: how to install and connect it in a car
When driving in a stream of cars, it is important for the driver to both look forward and see what is happening behind. When our car is equipped with a special video camera, which allows us to look back without turning our heads and does not lose sight of the road, our safety is increased several times. But not every car leaving the door of a car dealership to a new owner provides such a service. If the car does not include a rear view camera, which helps to reduce to zero the risks of collisions on the roads and when parking, the car owner can independently add such a function to the head unit, as well as install and connect it to a tablet computer, Car TV, navigator, smartphone, rearview mirror.
Car video cameras are divided into:
- Front view cameras. They help to monitor the traffic situation in places where the visibility of the situation is limited, for example, when leaving and entering a gate, when turning around the corner of a building. This technique prevents damage to the car body. When the front bumper approaches an obstacle restricting visibility, the camera displays what is happening to the left in the direction of the vehicle.
- Rear view cameras. Sometimes they have an external styling of the body that suits a specific car brand, but they can also be universal, suitable for any car model. The device has a special protective casing that protects against dust, dirt and moisture from getting inside. It may have a backlight function, due to which the image does NOT lose high quality in any conditions, for example, during fog or in low light conditions. The main purpose of the video camera. inform the driver about what is happening on the road behind. The image from it is sent to the monitor installed in the cabin, looking at which the driver estimates the distance to objects behind the car.
The housing rear-view camera can be styled specific model name
Several features to focus on when choosing a rear view camera for our car:
- Viewing angle. It can be 100, 120, 140 and 170 degrees. The higher the degree of the viewing angle, the wider and fuller the picture of what is happening behind will look. But the price of video cameras that have a higher degree viewing angle to be higher.
- Camera screen resolution. This characteristic is directly related to the quality of the video image. Despite the fact that the technique only removes what is happening behind, the quality of the displayed picture is of no small importance.
- Resistant to temperature fluctuations. This feature can affect the duration of the video camera service. Indeed, the weather conditions (wind, frost, heat, precipitation) largely depend on how long the selected gadget will last. That is, the body of the camcorder must be strong enough to resist natural influences.
- How much does the camera weigh? In fact, no matter how much it weighs, this characteristic does not really matter, since all modern rear-view cameras are quite compact in size, besides, they have quite stable mounts.
- Illumination range, its presence or absence. The presence of the backlight has additional advantages when driving on the road and when parking in low ambient light and in adverse atmospheric conditions. The backlight range is directly proportional to the back view of the painting. The farther the distance from the back object, the better it can be seen with optimal illumination.
- Camera body shape. Also, when buying a suitable video device should pay attention to its form. Based on this, we will choose where in the car to mount it. It should be noted that not all camera models are equipped with the necessary attachment. It may be necessary to make some changes in the places where the equipment is docked with the details of the body of our car.
Choosing a pickup location in the car
Before you begin installing the video camera, choose for her a comfortable landing spot. You can build it directly into the bumper by drilling a special hole with a drill. Installation can be done on the plafond frame, which is responsible for the backlight of the registration plate. The advantage of choosing this place for landing is that it will be almost invisible to the prying eye.
Another convenient place for installing a video device can be the handle that opens the trunk. But here there is a risk of damage to the camera eye and rapid wear. Plus, it can attract unwanted attention from car accessory hunters.
You can put the equipment on the roof of the car. This place is suitable for minibuses. Peephole installed at a height less exposed to the risk of damage and theft.
Rear view monitor
The picture from the rear view camera is displayed on the LCD monitor located in the car on the instrument panel. As a monitor, you can use devices such as a tablet, navigator, radio tape recorder, smartphone, TV, as well as a rearview mirror.
The standard liquid crystal screen is attached to the dashboard with hinges. This flexibility makes it possible to mount his stand at the required angle. In addition to the main entrance of the monitor there are connectors for external video sources. A OEM monitor gives a larger image than a display combined with a rearview mirror, but it takes up much more space, which is not always convenient, especially for small cars.
Monitor combined with a mirror
The display can be combined with a rearview mirror. While the system is off, the mirror serves its intended purpose, reflecting what is happening behind the car. As soon as we turn on the reverse gear, the mirror immediately becomes a monitor, on which the background image transmitted from the camera is broadcast.
Wireless cameras with a rear view screen can have either a color display or a black and white display. According to some car enthusiasts, a black and white display takes precedence over a color display, producing a clearer picture. This is NOT so much to do with the monitor as with the sensitivity of the camcorder. Therefore, when choosing a wireless technology, it is worth considering two essential characteristics:
- Viewing angle.
The car TV can also be used as a rear view monitor. The TV can be mounted under the ceiling of the car interior or located on the dashboard. The principle of operation of the TV screen on the rear view camera is the same as that of a regular monitor, navigator, tablet or radio.
Our task is to connect the rear video camera to the car radio. It is important that it has an LCD screen. If such a screen is not provided in the head unit, it will have to be purchased additionally and connected to the head unit. But we will consider the option of Bringing a rear view camera to a car radio with an LCD screen.
How to install and connect the camera to a radio tape recorder and other equipment
The procedure for installing a rear view camera is usually individual for each car brand. But there are general working points that are applicable to any car. To begin with, let’s decide on the tools and materials at hand that are necessary for work. Here is a minimal list of what we need:
- Insulating tape and tape;
- Adhesive and sealant;
- A set of pliers, screwdrivers and adjustable wrenches;
- Soldering iron, acid, solder;
- Electric drill and drills;
- Electric wires.
Camera installation procedure
- The work begins with the installation of the camera peephole. If the car has special places designed for planting the camera, then it is enough to remove the plastic plugs from there and place the video device in these holes. But these seats are NOT available in all vehicles. Therefore, we have to drill a hole in the bumper. in the very place that we previously assigned for the landing of the Video Peephole. We take an Electric drill with a drill of the required diameter and get to work. Then we run glue or sealant along the outside of the peephole and tightly insert the peephole into the prepared hole.
- We draw out the wires coming from the camera, and we carry them to the luggage compartment. We attach the negative end of the wire to the mass of the car with a bolt, pre-cleaned the hole for the bolt with sandpaper to ensure reliable contact. The plus wire is best connected to the power cable of one of your car’s rear lights. In this case, the power supply to the camcorder will occur simultaneously with the reverse.
- Now, after connecting the video camera to the mains, we will pull the video cable through the car interior for subsequent connection to the monitor. In the event that the length of the wire is not enough, we will have to lengthen it according to the chosen route, trying to do it carefully and aesthetically, so that the wire does not accidentally fall under the fasteners with the risk of being damaged.
We connect the camera to the monitor
If the monitor to which the rear video camera is connected has several similar connectors, we will focus on the fact that the wire and video input are the same color. On a radio with a display, there must be a special input on the back for connecting a video camera.
After connecting the radio with the rear video camera, you need to connect it to the mains. It is very important here NOT to reverse the polarity of the connected wires.
You can use double-sided tape, screws or self-tapping screws to mount the monitor on the dashboard.
There are several ways to connect the camera to the monitor. To do this, you can use a standard tulip cable, which consists of six wires with three-color plugs.
The rear view camera can be connected to the monitor using a standard cinch cable with tri-color plugs
The rear view camera can also be connected using wireless modules, for example, via WI-FI. This method is compatible with any video device that has a CVBS (“tulip”) interface. The picture from the camera is transmitted to the display of a tablet, smartphone or radio on the Android platform (version 2.2 or higher) and iOS (version 4.3 or higher). The connection is via WI-FI via 802.11 b, g, n with WPA2 encryption.
After the completion of the installation operations, it is necessary to check the operability of the device in various modes.
Setting up the rear view device
For the normal operation of our smart video device, it is necessary to carry out additional configuration and check for operability. Turn on the ignition before tuning. Next, we perform the following actions:
- Turn on the radio by selecting the Settings mode.
- Then go to the “cameras” section and select the value “back”.
- Using the joystick buttons, we adjust the focus of the view so that it is comfortable for the eye and corresponds to our preferences.
- This completes the setup of our video device. You can move on to its practical use.
It remains to remind you of the safety measures that must be followed during installation work.
Connecting two cameras
In addition to a rear view camera, you can also install a front view camera. It is desirable that the front camera has a sufficiently large viewing angle. The front camera will help the driver to safely taxi into the road from areas that limit the visibility of objects located on the right and left sides.
Wiring diagram of two cameras simultaneously to a car radio. rear and front view
A rear-view camera installed on a car with your own hands will help save money on the purchase of equipment and car service services, protect against unexpected collisions and collisions while driving on the road and in the parking lot, and make reversing maneuvers safe. The process of installing a camcorder on a car will NOT be difficult and will NOT take much time. This optional in-car device will give a sense of security to both the novice and experienced driver.