Iriun Webcam: how to use your phone camera as a computer webcam
How to use the camera of an Android or iOS mobile device instead of a computer webcam? To stick out, make video calls with the introduction of Internet messengers and perform other tasks for which you need a video camera connected to a PC. To a PC or a laptop, because laptops usually have a built-in camera with terrible image quality, while even front-facing selfie cameras on today’s mobile gadgets are many times better. There is absolutely a need to buy a webcam Not only in cases when it is needed on a computer occasionally, but even with its constant use. To fix the phone or tablet in the desired position for a comfortable camera angle, you can use various stands, mounts, suction cups, of which there are a lot of gadget accessories on the market today. Well, we will now deal with the issue of connecting a computer and a camera of a mobile device. And the free Iriun Webcam software will help us with this.
Iriun Webcam software
You can connect the camera of a mobile device via USB or a local network to a computer using various software, including. Iriun Webcam. This free software is cross-platform and connects the cameras of iOS and Android devices with computers based on Windows, Mac and Linux Ubuntu.
Desktop programs are completely free, as well as free mobile applications in the basic version. If desired, mobile apps can be upgraded to the Pro version that works with 4K cameras, while the basic version. with HD cameras only.
To connect the camera of a mobile device to be possible, the latter must be connected via a USB cable in USB debugging mode. If a computer and a mobile device are connected to a single local network, it is easier to use a network connection, in which case we do not need anything other than installing software. It does not matter how the computer is connected to the local network. via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Mobile device camera connection
Let’s consider connecting the camera of a mobile device to a computer using the Iriun Webcam software using the example of a Windows computer and an Android phone. This software is notable for its simplicity: the program installed on a Windows computer does nothing more, as soon as it realizes the camera connection. The program hangs in the tray, waiting for the connection. It only has one option. the ability to add to autostart along with Windows.
When establishing a connection with the camera, the program will inform us about this notification.
To establish a connection, we need to install the Iriun Webcam mobile application (for Android or for iOS) and launch it. There are not many camera management capabilities in the application. turning on flashlight and mirroring.
In the application settings, you can change the orientation of the camera, choose which camera we want to use. rear or front, turns on autofocus and dimming the screen in order to save battery power.
Iriun Webcam allows you to connect only the camera of a mobile device to the computer, its microphone is not provided.
After the connection is established, a small window of the connected camera will appear on the computer, where we can adjust its resolution.
To use the camera in programs for Streaming, video chatting, etc., you need to go to their video settings and select Iriun Webcam as a video source.
How to turn on the webcam on a Windows 10 laptop and what to do if it doesn’t work
All laptops are equipped with a built-in webcam. Users can use it as a tool for video chats in various messengers, for example, Skype. In Windows 10 there is a special standard application “Camera”, which allows you to quickly launch it on a laptop like on a phone to take an instant photo or video. Today we will look at how to enable and configure the camera in the application of the same name, as well as how to GRANT certain programs access to it. In addition, we will list effective ways to troubleshoot the “webcam”.
How to turn on the camera on a Windows 10 laptop
You can activate the laptop’s webcam to take pictures at the current time, for this, the classic “Camera” application is launched. If you want to use it in other utilities, give them access to it in Windows settings. Consider how to do both.
Launching an Application from the Start Menu
Calling the Camera application is quite simple: it is in the list of utilities in the system Start menu. Follow a little instruction:
- Click on the window-shaped button in the lower left corner of the screen. It’s the leftmost icon on the taskbar. This menu is also called by a special key on which the same icon is drawn. Finding it is easy: it is next to the space. Click on the “Start” button with a window-shaped icon to launch the menu of the same name
- In the menu, you can simply scroll through the list of services and applications for the letter “K”. If you don’t want to scroll through the list, press the letter “A”. Click on the letter “A” to open the table with the rest of the available letters
- In the appeared table with letters from two alphabets, select the Russian “K” with the left mouse button. Select the Russian letter “K” in the table
- A small list will open with applications starting with this letter. Find “Camera” in it and left-click on it. Click on the “Camera” item in the list of applications on the letter “K”
- On the PC display, you should immediately see yourself.
Launch the “Camera” utility on Windows 10. Turning on using the Special keys
Many laptop computers have special keys that allow you to activate the webcam (open a window where you will see yourself). They are different for each manufacturer’s model. Turning on is due to a combination of two buttons, the first of which is always Fn. The aforementioned key is added to it: usually it has an icon in the form of a camera, so the keyboard should be carefully examined. For Lenovo laptops, there are two combinations: Fn F5 and Fn Esc.
Fn V combination also works for many laptops.
Press the Fn V key combination to launch the camera on your device and take a photo
Older laptop models have a separate button, which is usually located next to Power (the power key). In this case, you only need to click on it, Fn in this case No need.
Click on the Web button next to the power button to open your built-in webcam window
Setting permission to use the webcam by other programs
If, when you launch the Camera application, a white window appears on the screen with a message that you need to GRANT access to the camera and microphone, this means that you have disabled access to them in the privacy settings. In this case, no programs will be able to use the webcam. How to enable access, we will tell you in detail:
- Press two buttons at the same time: Win and I. This way you can open the “Windows Settings” window, in which all configuration manipulations will be performed. If this combination does NOT work, go to this window through the Start menu: launch it on the taskbar and click on the gear icon.
- In the window with the parameters, we are interested in the “Privacy” tile. It is usually located at the very bottom of the page. Click on it. Click on the “Privacy” tile in the options window
We immediately click on the first switch to allow all the utility to use the camera.
Switch to the third block called “Camera”. You can also run it from the application of the same name, if it works for you. To do this, click on the gears in the upper right corner, scroll down the panel in the right part of the window to the “Related parameters” block. In it, already click on the link “Change privacy settings”. The system will immediately redirect you to the desired tab in the Windows Settings window.
In the “Camera” tab, put the first switch to the “On” position to allow applications to use the webcam
Windows tools allow you to configure the camera to turn on for SEVERAL applications only. If this is your case, scroll down the page a little and find in the list of utilities the one that you want to give access to “webcams”. For them, set the switch to the “On” position.
In the list, select the applications that you want to give access to the camera, and then enable them using the case switches
How to disable webcam on Windows 10 laptop
Sometimes users may need to turn off the webcam for one reason or another. This can be done in the Windows “Device Manager” system window. Follow step by step instructions:
- Call the “Device Manager” window. The easiest way. enter the corresponding request in the panel for universal search in the Windows system: it is launched through the magnifying glass icon on the “Taskbar”. This icon is usually located next to the Start button. In the search results then click on the desired section. In the bar “Search” enter the query “Device Manager”
- If you do not have this icon, use the Windows Settings window: press the Win I key combination and start typing “Device Manager” in the search bar. As you type, the system will automatically detect what exactly you want to open. Select the required service from the list by clicking the left mouse button. In the search bar in the Options window, enter the query “Device Manager”
- In the manager window find the term “Cameras” and double-click on the list of connected devices.
- Right click on the name of your built-in camera. In the context menu, select the “Disconnect device” option. In the context menu, click on the line “Disable device”
- In the dialog box that appears, confirm your intention to temporarily deactivate the video device. Click “Yes” to turn off the camcorder
You can turn on the WEB-camera again through the same context menu that opens by right-clicking on the Corresponding item.
How to set up a webcam on a laptop
You can change the webcam settings in the classic Camera application window. We will tell you what settings are available in this junk step by step:
- Launch the “Camera” program using the instructions from the first section of this article. In the application window, there is a photo timer at the top (an alarm clock icon). The arrow next to it allows you to switch from automatic to professional shooting mode. The case has two round buttons for switching between taking photos and videos. In the “Camera” application, you can select a mode (photo or video), as well as enable the ability to manually set all the settings
- To get to the settings, click on the gear-shaped icon, which is located in the upper right corner of the application window under the icon to close.
- In the first drop-down menu, you can select the action that will be performed after pressing the camera button and holding it. Three options are available: single shot, whole series of photos, or video recording. Set the action to be performed after pressing and holding the camera button
- In the next menu, you can flip the image that you see in the application window. If necessary, set the angle to which you want to return the image
- The “Photos” section provides options for image aspect ratio and framing grid. Choose a grid type depending on what kind of survey you want to use. It will be easier to apply this or that method with it. Set the framing grid to match the shooting method you want to apply
- The Burst option enabled allows you to take multiple photos until you press the camera button again.
- In the “Video” block, you can select the recording quality (depending on the maximum parameter offered by the camera itself), as well as adjust the anti-flicker option. In the Video Recording menu, set the quality of your future media content
- In the “Related options” section, you can change the path to the folders where photos and videos will be saved. In the section of related parameters, you can choose the location of the files with the taken photo and video
- In addition, you can enable the use of your computer’s location. The characteristics of the photo or video will indicate where they were taken. Allow the Camera app to show your current location
What to do if the camera doesn’t work
Users of the Windows operating system sometimes fail to launch the classic “Camera” utility. At the same time, as a rule, a message appears in the window stating that it is NOT possible to find the camera or turn it on. Each error has its own code. Updating or rolling back video device drivers fixes most problems.
Checking antivirus settings
Most antiviruses have a feature that protects the user from being monitored by a webcam. It allows or blocks access to the video device for certain scripts and programs. However, this function may have problems. For example, an antivirus can suddenly disable the camera for the standard Camera application or Skype utility by Outsiders, considering them a threat. In the Skype messenger, in this case, a message usually appears that it cannot connect to webcams and that you need to close the utility that is currently using it.
Skype cannot start video broadcasting because the camera is open in another program
To make sure that the problem is not at all in the antivirus, Disable the camera protection functions in it for the time being. The option name and section location differ depending on the type of antivirus. Let’s look at the instructions using the Avast program as an example:
- Antiviruses usually work in the background in order to be always on the alert and, if necessary, block the threat. This means that you can open it through the Windows tray (the right edge of the taskbar with the date, time and other icons). Click on the upward arrow and click on the Avast icon on the small panel. Find the Avast icon in the Windows tray and then click on it
- Click on the “privacy” tab with the fingerprint icon. In the blue menu, select the “Webcam protection” block. In the “privacy” tab, open the “Webcam protection” section
- Click on the green switch to deactivate the option, and try to open the “WEB-camera” in third-party junk or in the standard “Camera” program. Click once on the switches to disable the protection option for a while
Updating or Installing a Driver
The most common cause of camera problems. untimely update of its drivers. How to update, we will describe in the instructions:
- Launch “Device Manager” in any of the ways described in the section “How to disable the webcam on a laptop with Windows 10”.
- Find the “Cameras” object in the list and open it with a double click. Right-click on the term with the required equipment and select the “Update driver” option from the list. You can also launch the update by clicking on the “Properties” item. a new small window will appear, in the second tab of which you need to click on the “Update driver” button. Click on the “Update Driver” button in the “Properties” window
- In the next window, click on the link for automatic search. We click on the link “Automatic search for updated drivers”
- We are waiting for the process to complete. It will take a little time. We are waiting for the search for available drivers on the network to complete
- As a result, the system will either find, download and install an available update, or notify you that all the latest drivers are already installed on your device. The system may display a message that the current drivers are already installed
- You can also manually search for updates on your computer to make sure that the driver does not exactly need an update. To do this, instead of automatically searching in the start window, select “Search for drivers on this computer”. Click on “Select a driver from the list of available PCs” again. Click on the link below “Select a driver from the list available on your computer”
- If you have a disk or other drive with your camera’s drivers, click on the “Have Disk” link. Click on the “Next” button to start searching for drivers or on the “Have Disk” button if you have a disc with camera drivers
- Wait for the procedure to complete. As a result, a message will appear stating that the system has successfully installed the drivers. Now you can close all windows, restart your computer and try to start the camera again. Click on the “Close” button after the system has successfully completed the driver update
Rollback to a previous version of the driver
If you notice that the “webcam” began to refuse to work after a recent driver update, roll back to the previous version. The following procedure can help you regain access to the camera:
- Calling the “Device Manager” on the display again. In the context menu of the video device, which is in the “Cameras” section, click on the “Properties” option.
- We switch to the second block and in it we press the “rollback” button. It should be noted that some drivers do NOT support rollback. In this case, the button has a dull tint and becomes unclickable. in this case it will NOT work to rollback. The “rollback” button in the properties window may be inactive: in this case, rollback will NOT work
- I confirm my action by clicking on the “Yes” button.
- After the procedure, we check if the camera is working.
Removing and re-detecting the webcam
If the usual update did not help you, do it a little differently: remove the camcorder, and then immediately put it back in place. Upon return, the system will immediately install the device with all the latest updates. How to do this, we describe below:
- Launch the “Task Manager” using the “Windows Settings” window or the “Search” panel. Detailed instructions for launching are in the section on disabling the webcam.
- We click on our video device with the right mouse button, select “Remove device” from the extended menu. Click on the “Remove device” item to make the “Cameras” section disappear from the list of “Task Manager”
- In the next window I confirm that we want to get rid of the camera for a while. You will see that the “Cameras” section has disappeared from the list. Click “Delete” to confirm the action
- Click on the “Action” link on the top panel of the dispatcher and select the “Update hardware configuration” option. Select the menu item “Update hardware configuration”
- We are waiting for the system to find the devices again and update the list. After that, you can try again to launch the webcam.
Troubleshooting Code 0xA00F4246
After launching the “Camera” utility, a black window may open with a notification that the “webcam” cannot be launched. In this case, the system will ask you to check if new versions of drivers are available and update the latest ones if available. Error code in this case. 0xA00F4246. It occurs both with built-in devices and with removable (external) devices that are connected separately.
Error 0xA00F4246 may occur when launching the Camera application
If you encounter this problem, most likely, your camera will not work in other utilities that require it, for example, in Skype. Unfortunately, you will NOT be able to fix the problem by simply updating the drivers. Way out. small procedure for editing the registry in a Windows system application:
- Start Registry Editor. It’s quite simple to do this: press the Win and R keys and in the small window spell the word regedit. After that, immediately click on OK or Enter, so that the system will execute the specified command. Enter the regedit command in the window that appears
- In a small Windows system window, Confirm permission Registry Editor makes changes to the computer.
- A list of several branches will appear on the left pane of the window. Choose the third one. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Run it with a double click and open the SOFTWARE folder. Open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE branch on the left, and in it the SOFTWARE folder
- Go to the Microsoft folder and then. in Windows Media Foundation. Open the Windows Media Foundation section in the Microsoft folder
- In the last folder, right-click on the Platform block and in the small menu, point to the “Create” item. In the following list, select “DWORD Value”. Click on the “New” button and select “DWORD Parameter”
- Use EnableFrameServerMode as the name of the created parameter. Name the created entry EnableFrameServerMode
- Open it by double-clicking the left mouse button. In the window that appears, set the created parameter to 0. To save the changes, click OK. Put the value 0 in the appropriate box of the window
- Close the editor window, Disable all open applications and restart the PC.
- When the device starts up, check if the problem with the Camera utility is resolved.
What to do if an error with number 0xA00F4246 appears when launching “Camera”
A special “Camera” utility is built into the Windows 10 system, which allows you to launch the “WEB-camera“. In this program, PC users shoot videos and take photos. In order for the webcam to be enabled in other standard and third-party programs, you need to allow it to use it in the privacy settings, which are available in the Windows Settings window. If your camera does not want to start in either standard or third-party utilities, try updating its drivers in the “Device Manager”, and also check if the antivirus is blocking its operation.
How to use iPhone as a webcam (via WI-FI or USB)
Iphone is equipped with high definition cameras that can surprise even the most sophisticated user with the quality of the video stream. It takes a little tweaking to use the iPhone as a webcam, but the results are worth it. Apple’s gadget completely replaces the “WEB-camera”: sound transmission, high-definition video are available, as they say, by default.
IOS setup for video transfer
The whole setup will take place in two stages: installing programs into a smartphone and into a personal computer with their subsequent connection. So, the steps to perform on the iPhone:
The mobile client is ready to go. Next, let’s start configuring the receiver for Windows.
Setting up your computer to receive streaming video from an iPhone
To connect iPhone as a webcam for a personal computer, you need to download the desktop version of the iVCam program. To do this, go to the official website at the link https://www.E2esoft.com/ivcam/, select the Download button. If you cannot download the program from the official website, you can follow the link http://ivcam.Findmysoft.com/.
I confirm the terms of the license agreement for using the application. We select the Russian language, as well as the directory where you want to install the program.
After installing the program on your computer, you need to remove the ban on iVCam in the Firewall settings. Let’s see how to do it on Windows 10.
Go to the “Windows Defender Security Center”:
Next, I allow the application to work through the firewall, put down the Appropriate checkboxes:
The setup is complete, now let’s move on to connecting the smartphone and computer to one network.
Iphone as a webcam over Wi-Fi
If the computer and iPhone are connected to the same WI-FI wireless network, setup is quite simple. First, open the iVCam application, the smartphone will automatically detect an active wireless connection with the program on the computer.
The iphone will ask for permission to use the camera and microphone. It is necessary to click “Allow”, after that the image from the main camera will appear on the screen, as well as sound:
Please note that in this mode you cannot switch between applications on the iPhone, otherwise the video stream will be interrupted.
If different networks are used, for example, mobile LTE and a regular Ethernet connection on a PC, the iPhone must first be connected with a proprietary cable to an available USB port of the system unit. Then allow access to the computer and launch the iVCam program on the smartphone.
The simple iPhone setup procedure saves you a decent amount of money for the alleged purchase of a new webcam. And also gives guaranteed pleasure from broadcasting high definition video. In webcam mode, the iPhone is used to stream to video services such as YouTube, Twitch. Also for video calls through popular instant messengers: Skype or Duscord. The interlocutors will appreciate the high-definition “cinema” and high-quality sound.
How to set up a WEB-camera
One of the most popular communication methods today is video communication, which can be organized using the World Wide Web. However, to do this, you need to first configure the WEB-camera on your computer. Honestly, it’s very, very easy to do this.
To make our advice as informative as possible, we will tell you how to configure WEB cameras in a variety of situations. And it doesn’t matter which company your WEB-camera is: Genius, A4Tech, Logitech or any other.
How to set up a WEB-camera on a laptop
As a rule, webcams in laptops are already built-in, therefore they DO NOT require any special settings or settings. You just need to correctly install the operating system (preferably Windows 7) and connect your laptop to the Internet, and it will find all the necessary software by itself. It is worth considering that the camera itself does not turn on, but only works when you turn on the appropriate application, for example Skype. If the camera does not work, then you need to install the driver. You can find them either on the Internet, by entering the request “WEB-camera driver for a laptop, specify its model here”, or (which is more correct), install them via a disk that comes with the laptop. Asus, MSI and Acer laptops cause the most problems.
How to properly configure a WEB-camera on a computer
Please note that for the correct operation of the WEB-camera, it is enough to connect it to the computer (via the USB-output) and turn on the program that you need. As a rule, the computer itself installs the drivers and understands what kind of camera it is. If you want to adjust the clarity or quality of the video signal, then you need to install the utility (program) that comes with the WEB-camera. To do this, insert the disc into the drive, in the pop-up window, select “Install the program for working with the WEB-camera“.
In addition, many programs allow you to adjust the video signal quality in their interface. Also, consider factors such as room lighting and the specifications of your device.
How to set up a WEB-camera in Skype (Skype)
Setting up a camera in Skype is quite simple, to do this, turn on the Skype program, enter your username and password (or register). Next, go to the “Tools” tab, and then select the “Settings” item, as shown in the screenshot:
A settings window will open in front of you, in the left menu in the “General” section, click on the “Video settings” item. Then the following window will open, in which you can enter the necessary settings for the WEB-camera in Skype:
How to set up a WEB-camera in classmates
To make calls on the Odnoklassniki social network, you just need to connect a WEB-camera to a computer or laptop and direct it towards yourself (try to sit so that the light falls on you, and not on the WEB-camera). Do not forget to check the sound from the speakers and if the microphone is connected. Naturally, you must install all the drivers for the WEB-camera, find them, as we have already said, on the disk, which comes with the camera. Sometimes the absence of an image is due to the fact that you do not have a flash player installed, and for this you need to install Adobe Flash Player software (it’s free). Then everything will be simple: move the mouse over the photo in your friend’s profile, you will see a prompt with the offer “Call ?!”. Click on this button, and then allow the social network to Access your camera and microphone.
How to connect a camera to a computer: Step-by-step instructions, setup
Time goes forward, and technologies become more advanced every year. Manufacturers try to create devices that are not only of high quality, but also convenient to use. This is how a variety of ways to connect devices appear. And if earlier in the question of how to connect the camera to a computer there were few options for the process itself, now there is an opportunity to choose from the proposed methods.
Why do you need to know how to connect a camera to a computer? Taking pictures, every photographer or just a person who wants to capture interesting moments, understands that memory on a flash card is not infinite. Sooner or later, you will have to make room for new photos.
Photographers also transfer pictures to a PC for editing, after all, take a picture of the model. Half the battle. A lot also depends on the processing.
If the user wants to print ready-made images, he also needs to transfer the files to the computer so that they can be transferred to a USB flash drive and taken to a photo studio.
In addition, some owners of cameras prefer to use them as video surveillance or webcams. In the latter case, along with figuring out how to connect the camera to a computer, you will need to find the necessary software.
The easiest way
It is easy to figure out how to connect a camera to a computer. In this case, there is always an instruction that will tell the owner what to do with the device and how to establish a connection between it and the PC.
The easiest way is to connect via the Corresponding cable:
Thanks to the developers who complicated the question of how to connect a camera to a computer. Although, in reality, wireless connection only seems complicated. Everything can be done quickly, it is important to understand how it works.
Most modern devices are equipped with a wireless network module, so they allow you to exchange files like a smartphone paired with a PC would. In this case, the user does not need any wires. Even drivers may NOT be needed.
How to connect the camera to a computer via Wi-Fi? First. Make sure you have a router or wireless network support for your device. The function of the same name in the camera responds to a wireless connection. It just needs to be found and turned on.
It usually works the same way as smartphones. But in some cases you will have to configure it. To do this, go to the camera settings and find the inclusion of the wireless module.
Next, you need to go to the Wi-Fi menu and specify the name of the camera. This will make it easier to find it in the device list. Next, you can find the device to which we want to join. Best to use local area network.
Sometimes, in order to connect a Canon camera to a computer, you need to get a special card. It’s called Eye-Fi. This device should be placed in the compartment where the SD is usually located. Thus, it will be easy to connect equipment and start transferring data wirelessly.
Such a card is a kind of microcomputer, which can not only store data, but also work on the processor and act as a wireless module. The card does not need a separate power supply, a battery or camera batteries are enough.
Connecting the camera as a webcam
If you understand how to connect a Canon camera to a computer, you can use it as a webcam. Of course, there is no point in purposefully purchasing an expensive DSLR for this. But if you already have a camera, why not use it for Skype conversations?
Connecting the camera will enable the user to use it in a poorly lit room, since it has a high sensitivity to light. Picture quality will also improve with dynamic range and white balance.
By the way, manufacturers also say about using a DSLR as a webcam. Some have equipped their models with this function and use it as a marketing ploy. In this case, when connecting the camera, just select the Corresponding mode.
Determination of health
But whatever one may say, not all models are capable of working in webcam mode. Therefore, before dealing with the connection, you need to understand whether the device is capable of working as a video camera.
Many people use a cable for this, which has a USB port at one end, and a “tulip” at the other. By connecting to a TV, you can determine if it works with the camera. Camera images should appear on the screen.
Connecting the camera
In this case, it is enough to understand how to connect the camera to a computer via USB. Sometimes it will be enough to just connect the device to a PC, and sometimes you need software. For example, for the camera to work as a webcam, you need to download the Active WebCam or SplitCam program.
In this case, it is recommended to connect the device to an AC adapter, as the battery may not be sufficient to use this function and the camera will run out faster than usual.
It is necessary to install the “tulips” of the cable in the connectors, which are located not in the motherboard, but on the interface panel of the video card. After that, you need to select the composite mode, and then turn on the camera. Before that, the whole process must be carried out with the device disconnected.
Then it will be enough to open the installed program and continue the configuration in it. In this case, they usually adjust the image resolution, use the zoom, and also turn on the white balance.
Turning your smartphone into a WEB camera
When you need to arrange a video meeting on your computer, and the camera stopped working, a reasonable question arises whether you can use your phone as a webcam. It will definitely work out what was conceived, and in several ways: through a wired or wireless connection. The article will allow you to understand in detail the implementation of the task. Step-by-step actions will be presented, Required programs and their settings will be named.
How to make a webcam from a phone
You may need to turn your Android smartphone into a webcam for several reasons:
- Urgent need to make a video call via Skype in the absence of a standard camera.
Almost any smartphone running on Android can handle the task. In this case, his screen may be broken, only the integrity of the lens is important. Turning a mobile device into a webcam is done in several ways:
- Connecting to a computer via a USB cable.
Each method requires detailed consideration so that there are no problems during the setup process.
Phone as webcam via USB cable
The simplest connection can be made using a USB cable, which is included with any smartphone. This also requires installing the appropriate software on both devices. The tested and working application is DroidCam Wireless Webcam. You can find it in the Play Market and then install it on your phone. This developer’s program will need to be added to Windows:
The application on the phone receives information from the camera and transmits it to the PC, and the program on the computer processes the data to be recognized by the rest of the Windows software. Before you start, you should activate the “USB debugging” option, which is located in the “For Developers” section of the main Android settings menu.
With everything set up, let’s take a look at how to use your phone as a webcam:
- Launch the DroidCam Wireless Webcam app on your smartphone. On the welcome screen, click Next. Read the instructions for use and tap “Got it”.
If you click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the application and select the “Settings” term, you will be able to make the following settings:
- Activate by keeping the device active to prevent screen lock due to inactivity.
If for some reason it was not possible to connect via the cable, you can use alternative applications that work according to a similar principle. It is enough to type the phrase “Web camera” in the Play Market search line and view the results that received the highest number of positive user ratings. In addition, the connection can be made wirelessly, which will be discussed further.
WEB-camera from Android smartphone via WI-FI
Wireless connection is done with the same toolbox. Only in the program window is the Wi-Fi icon selected, and not USB, as in the previous version of the instruction. Further it is necessary:
- Look at the application screen in your smartphone and find the term “WI-FI IP” there. The colon is followed by addresses like: 192.168.0.101.
Write the displayed address in the program window on the PC. This is done in the line “Device IP”.
Press the “Start” button. The screen will display the image broadcast from the smartphone camera.
The video is broadcast in 480p format, in order to increase the resolution you need to:
- Click on the “HD” icon at the top of the application;
- Agree to view ads to unlock the function within the current connection session.
The paid version of the application costs about 4 and provides the following features:
- Zoom in and out of the image;
- Flash activation on a smartphone;
- Adjustment of contrast, brightness, sharpness;
- Image rotation and mirroring;
- Video enhancement and experimental mode with 2x frame rate.
Phone as an IP webcam
In this case, the signal will be transmitted not from the home network, but through the developers’ servers of the application being used. Thanks to this, you can view the image from the webcam at any distance from it. Typically, such a solution is used to install video surveillance of a house or adjacent territory.
Before proceeding with the setup, it is necessary to take into account some of the disadvantages of this method of creating video surveillance:
- The signal transmitted through the application servers may not always be stable. It depends on the current load, and Given the free use, in most cases the user will receive a lack of speed and various bugs with a loss of connection.
- The phone used as a camera may hang, resulting in a signal cut.
- You will need to provide constant power to the smartphone battery, otherwise after a while there will be a complete discharge.
If these do not stop you, consider an application that can help in solving the problem.
This is a program for using your phone as an IP webcam on Android devices. It will turn an old smartphone into a remote video surveillance camera at no cost. To create such a system, you will need two smartphones, one of which acts as a monitor for viewing images and one Google account.
Often, such a solution is used to create additional security at home and on a suburban area. Also, video surveillance may not always be required, but only at certain moments, for example, when a nanny looks after the children in the house. In this case, it makes no sense to spend money on expensive equipment and it is highly justified to use an old smartphone, which connects as a CCTV camera in just a few minutes.
Alfred app provides the following features:
- Taking pictures and saving them in the device’s memory;
- Remote activation of the flash on the phone, if provided by the design;
- Flip the image;
- Choosing a camera for shooting;
- Night vision. switches the shooting mode from color to black and white;
- View data in frame rate, bit rate, etc.
To use your phone as a webcam, you must:
- Install the application on two smartphones: one is used as a camera, the other. like a monitor.
Run the application on each and specify the role of the mobile device: monitor or camera.
Enter data from your Google account to unite all smartphones in one place. Shooting can be performed from several phones, so it will be very convenient to switch between them to get a complete picture of events.
Now you can connect to the camera from another smartphone and track activity in the surveillance area at any time. The application is capable of making video recording when the detector detects movement.
Using the information provided, it will be possible to transform the phone into a webcam even into a user, and not having special skills in setting up equipment. Connection can be made in three convenient ways, which allows you to vary the location of the camera and access to it. All of these programs work for free, and only additional functions will require the purchase of distributed access.