TOP tips for choosing a laptop from a specialist!
The choice of laptop is a difficult and very responsible business. Before choosing a good laptop, it is necessary to clearly determine for which purpose it will be used. This will help make a list of characteristics that the device should have. Most manufacturers offer ready.made assemblies, and customers only need to choose the most suitable option.
The best option is a screen with a diagonal of 15.6 inches. You can also pay attention to models with a screen diagonal of 17.3 inches, they are well suited if you mainly work in a stationary. For frequent trips, it is better to choose an ultrabook with a screen of 13-14 inches.
The best solution is Full HD (1920 × 1080). Less resolution is permissible only if a budget laptop is bought with basic parameters. Higher resolutions. 2K or 4K in our opinion is overly, and they also have problems with the scaling of Windows in applications.
The most common matrices in modern laptops are TNFILM and IPS. The TNFILM matrix is characterized by low cost, but the laptop screen will not have good viewing angles. The IPS matrix has excellent color reproduction and provides good viewing angles. When choosing game models, it is worth considering options with the frequency of the screen of the screen 120-144 Hz. Such matrices display a smoother picture and load their eyes less.
The productivity of the device, energy efficiency, speed and a number of other parameters depend on the processor. For office tasks, there will be enough Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium, Intel Core i3, or AMD Athlon, AMD Ryzen 3 processors. For more resource.intensive work tasks. Intel Core i5, i7, I9 or AMD Ryzen 5, 7, 9 (depending on the complexity of tasks and your means). For gaming laptops, the processors from Intel Core i5, AMD Ryzen 5 and higher with the h index at the end of the marking. this suggests that the processor is not cut to the sake of energy conservation.
RAM is responsible for how resource.intensive applications can work stably on a laptop and how many programs you can start at the same time. Optimum volume for home / office \ study. 8 GB. For game / difficult work tasks, 8 GB can only be considered if you plan to expand this volume in the future. Models with a volume of 12, 16 GB and above are better suited.
In a modern laptop, the presence of an SSD drive is mandatory, it accelerates the speed of loading the system and applications, and is also more reliable and quiet in operation compared to HDD, t.to. It does not have mechanical movable parts inside. Recommended minimum volume 256. Optimal. 512 and above. Models with HDD should be considered only if the laptop is also present, and HDD will be used purely for storing a large volume of files that do not require high access speed.
To work with video editing, 3D and games, it is better to consider models with a discrete video card. For simple work and games, mobile video cards NVIDIA MX are suitable. For resource.intensive work and modern games, NVIDIA GTX and RTX video cards are suitable.
For what characteristics do not need to overpay
- Screen with a resolution above Full HD. The laptops have small screens and the density of pixels are very high even at 1080p, so higher resolutions, in our opinion, are meaningless from the point of view of the quality of the picture. And the displays with excessive permission spend more battery charge and require much more resources to output the picture, which negatively displays on the speed of the system, and also have problems with the scaling of Windows.
- Choose balanced models for games. It makes no sense to choose for games a laptop with a budget video card on the top processor itself, the performance will still rest against the capabilities of the graphic chip, and the processor will be idle. It also does not make sense to choose on the weakest processor and top video card. In this case, the processor simply will not be able to prepare a sufficient number of frames for the video card, and it will not be loaded completely.
- Discrete video card. If you choose a laptop for watching films, the Internet, study, work in office applications. such tasks will easily cope with the schedule built into the processor. Plus a discrete video card will quickly spend batteries charge.
- Excessive amount of RAM. The volume of RAM does not accelerate the operation of the laptop, so it makes no sense to take a laptop with a much exceeding volume than required for your tasks. If you are worried about the issue of relevance of the amount of memory, it is better to simply consider options with the possibility of an upgrade.
- The fingerprint scanner. Dactyloscopic scanner is a convenient alternative to entering a password. But the price of laptops with a scanner is quite high, so the user must weigh whether to overpay for such a function.
Top 5 BEST Laptops in 30,000 to 35,000 Budget⚡⚡⚡Laptops For Work From Home, Students & Professionals
Advice! Do not chase the ultimate autonomy. If the laptop will be operated within the house or office-do not overpay money and buy models that will work in autonomous mode for 1-2 hours more.
In addition to the very fact of the presence of a USB-C port, you must also make sure that another important feature-compatibility with the Thunderbolt 3 standard. Its support gives a laptop several key advantages.
So, in addition to a higher data transfer speed, a several 4K displays and even external video cards can be connected to the USB-C connector with support for Thunderbolt 3. Compatibility is usually indicated in the specifications, and the corresponding ports are marked with a lightning icon.
How to choose a laptop
The choice of laptop should begin with a description of your requirements for him. Based on the requirements and the parameters should be selected. A gaming laptop or laptop for serious work in Photoshop is significantly different in power from a laptop for working in an office or home viewing video and Word files. The price also differs several times.
It is important to buy a laptop optimal in parameters so as not to overpay for unnecessary volumes of memory, processor frequency and discrete video cards, if you simply do not use it.
Its reliability depends on the filling and the laptop company. Powerful laptops are more warming and more often fall into repair.
Laptop operating system
The operating system belongs to the software platform, which includes or facilitates the main functions of the laptop. This software coordinates the functions between other software and equipment of your laptop. A quick look at the specification of your laptop will show you the type of OS, which is pre.uploaded to your computer. Checking OS is one of the most important steps when buying a new laptop, since it determines the environment in which you will work. In addition, a certain software works only with a certain OS. Therefore, make sure that the previously loaded OS satisfies your needs of the end user.
The operating system allows you to communicate with a laptop or manage it. Some operating systems are simple and easy to use, while others require a coolest learning curve, but can be better suited for computer experts. Here are the most common operating systems available on the market:
Windows. This is the operating system proposed by Microsoft. Currently the latest version is Windows 10. The advantage of the presence of Windows OS is that it instantly takes you to the usual environment, since there is a high probability that on the previous laptop or PC that you own, the Windows version is installed.
The OS is easy to use, comes with an intuitive graphic intense and is familiar to everyone, regardless of which version you use. There are many programs written specifically for Windows, which makes it the perfect platform for work or study. In addition, equipment manufacturers make their devices compatible with Windows, offering software support. For most, Windows as an OS is a default choice.
The MacOS operating system, loaded on Apple laptops, promises a simplified user integer compared to Windows. Susceptibility to security disorders and here is much less. In addition, the software platform works without problems with the laptop equipment. Apple, which controls the software and hardware aspects of the laptop, can optimize the characteristics of the laptop to ensure effective integration.
Another outstanding advantage of MacOS is the degree and simplicity of multitasking, which it gives. You can create various working spaces and organize your work accordingly. If you work where the Apple ecosystem prevails, then MacOS will cost your choice.
Linux is an open source operating system. It is free for use. You can install Ubuntu or Fedora without the need to spend your money on it. Nevertheless, a laptop with a preinstalled Linux will surely be cheaper than a laptop with proprietary software. Being open source code, you can look into its source code if you want.
Compared to Windows, Linux is built in such a way that it makes it safe and less vulnerable to malware. As an operating system, Linux is an excellent companion for programmers, since it supports a wide range of programming languages. In addition, it supports you in the open source code in which the source code is transmitted and develops skills. Finally, Linux is considered reliable and does not reduce performance even after prolonged use.
DOS stands for Disk Operating System. Designed by Microsoft, it is a very simple and outdated operating system. It supports the main functions, it works quickly and quickly loads. Although DOS operating systems are limited in their operations, they are already loaded on some default laptops.
This is not a disadvantage, but rather vice versa, since the platform provides flexibility in terms of renewing of the OS. Thus, you can get excellent characteristics of the laptop at a lower price, and then install a free OS, later.
Laptop performance what to choose?
You approach the purchase of a laptop with a specific purpose, whether it is entertaining, business or educational. In addition to the display and OS, you need a filling that will meet your needs. In no case, it should not be lower in terms of characteristics than you need.
To determine productivity, you should pay attention to three factors: processor, RAM and storage memory. A faster processor means more calculations, the best speed of operations. Great RAM leads to an improvement in multitasking. SSD storage means faster reading and recording.
To make things more practical, think about what is preferable for you to look for in a laptop in accordance with your use in the first place.
If you use mainly watching websites, watching a video on the Internet, activity on social networks and easy office work, then a budget laptop with medium, but worthy characteristics is suitable. In this case, a laptop based on the Atom/Celeron processor with a minimum of 4 GB of RAM and about 128 GB of SSD storage or a 500 GB hard drive must meet all requirements.
Average use: if you think that your use is more intense, then there will be such characteristics as processors: Core i3, i35 or AMD Ryzen 3.5 with 4–8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of SSD drive. A laptop with this equipment will allow you to perform tasks such as editing photos, simultaneous work with several windows and launching all office programs.
Heavy and demanding use
If your work requires high performance or you are a professional gamer, you need high characteristics that meet your needs. You need a powerful laptop for editing and rendering videos, working with a large number of images, animation and graphic design, as well as to launch intensive games. You need a laptop with a processor minimum Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7 of the series from 16 to 32 GB of RAM and the top storage of SSD.
Pay attention to the details
All other things being equal, choose the option with which you will be more comfortable.
Matte screen or glossy
The matte screen is more convenient if you often use the laptop not at home or your workplace is located so that there are a lot of glare on the display.
But on the glossy screen the picture is more juicy, the color is brighter and more saturated. If you work with graphics, play a lot or watch movies, you should choose this option.
The number of ports
Think about which devices you will need to connect to the laptop: mouse, flash drive, second monitor, external hard drive? Check that there are enough ports for all gadgets.
The most popular connectors and their purpose:
- USB. for connecting drives, mice, as well as smartphones, webcams, fitness trackers and other devices. Provides data exchange and exercise if the device supports it. Standard USB 2.0 usually white, USB 3.0. blue.
- HDMI. for connecting monitors or TVs, for transmitting high.resolution video and multi.channel audio.
- DisplayPort. also to connect monitors and TVs. But he supports not one, but up to four screens at the same time, in addition, inexpensive adapters allow monitors of various standards to connect to it.
- Thunderbolt. to transmit data at a record speed up to 40 Gb/s (for comparison: USB 3.0. up to 5 Gbit/s). Copying 14 hours HD.video through this port will take less than a minute. It is compatible with USB.Type. C.devices.
The presence of a free slot for RAM
If you buy a computer for several years, play a lot or work with applicable applications for resources, then at a certain moment you will think about upgrade. For laptops, the easiest way to do this is to add RAM. Check if the model has a free slot.
The presence of a free slot for a hard drive
Each gigabyte on a solid.state drive (SSD) is more expensive than on a traditional hard drive (HDD), so manufacturers often offer configurations from HDD for 1 TB and SSD for 256 GB at about the same price. If you assume that you do not have enough space on the disk, check if there is another slot in the laptop for the drive. Then at the right time it will be possible to buy it and install it.
Typically, such slots are closed with a plastic lid, fixed with one or two screws, and the train for connecting the drive is already available. True, the presence of a free slot is often not indicated in the characteristics, so it is worth clarifying this moment from the manufacturer or store consultants.
Support Wi.Fi 802.11ac/AX
Almost all laptops of recent years support the Wi.Fi 802 standard.11 AC. It allows you to work not only in the range of 2.4 GHz (it is very common, therefore there is more interference here), but also at 5 GHz (here the connection will be more stable and the ping below).
802.11AX, or Wi.Fi 6, is the latest mass standard. Supports work in the ranges of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and may also include additional frequency bands in the ranges from 1 to 7 GHz as they appear. The density of information encoding also increased, and as a result, data transfer speed is up to 50% higher.
It is important that the router supports the necessary standards. Check this before buying a laptop and, if necessary, update the device. Of course, now there are not so many routers with support for Wi.Fi 6, but if you buy a laptop for several years and you need fast Internet, pay attention to this item.
Active cooling system or passive
If it is critically important for you that the laptop works silently, it does not require record performance, choose a model with a passive cooling system. in other words, without fans. Radiators on the processor and in other places of maximum heating will help maintain the desired temperature and maintain decent productivity. If high power is more important, then be prepared for the fact that on the maximum loads the laptop will significantly make noise.
Here we note that SSD works silently. In fact, this is a large flash drive, and it does not have moving parts. And HDD is heard in the process.
If you often sit at a computer in the evening or at night and do not want to turn on the light, this feature will be very welcome. It is easier not only to write a code or edit texts with her, but also not to confuse the video player settings buttons or quickly respond to a message. In addition, turning your gaze from the screen to the keyboard at dusk will become much more comfortable.
RAM. how much should be for comfortable work
RAM. this is the volume of storage, which stores data for quick access at the time of working at the computer. A good example is a few open browser tabs. The data of each tab are temporarily loaded into the RAM, so switching between them is instantly.
How much RAM should be for comfortable work?
- 8 GB, if the laptop is designed for the office, everyday tasks and launching some games.
- 16 GB, if the laptop is mainly game and multimedia or designed to launch resource.fitting applications. This is the most optimal volume of RAM for universal laptops, which is also called “with a reasonable margin”.
Things to know before buying a laptop
As for the minimum 4 GB, at first it may seem that this is quite enough, but over time, the speed of work will get out of itself.
Only a browser with several open tabs takes about 2-4 GB, so it is better not to pay attention to such devices.
Laptops with RAM 32 GB are suitable for the most powerful gaming and professional systems, but it makes no sense to overpay for the repository for an ordinary user, most of which will not be involved in the work.
How to choose laptop parameters
To choose a laptop according to the parameters, you need to at least superficially understand the main characteristics of the laptop. These include: diagonal, weight, screen, processor, video card, RAM, hard drive, batteries, wireless types, OS and design.
Laptop and diagonal sizes
The size of the laptop screen (diagonal) is traditionally measured in inches. Recall that 1 inch = 2.54 cm. The most miniature laptops have a diagonal of 11 inches. To perform simple work (Internet access, work on office applications), the size of the laptop of 15 inches will be sufficient. To watch films in high quality, games, as well as for working with graphic programs, such as photoshop, it is better to choose laptops with screens of 17 inches.
Lifehack: To “increase” the diagonal of the laptop, connect the external large monics to it.
The larger the diagonal and the better “filling”, the greater the weight of the device. By weight, the laptop can be divided into three categories:
- Light (less than 1 kg). a camping option for study, work and business trips. Such models are not large, but sufficient characteristics to perform most standard tasks;
- Normal (1-4 kg). the most representative group. Here you can find any car, including for working with graphic programs;
- heavy (over 4 kg). are not inferior to desktops, suitable for professional gamers and narrow specialists who need large computing capacities.
Note that to solve most problems, including professional ones, as well as watching films and games, a laptop with weighing up to 4 kg is suitable.
The screen resolution is one of the most important characteristics of the laptop display. It is characterized by the number of pixels/points on the entire surface of the screen. Here the “golden rule” is as follows: the more points, the cooler the picture! The optimal resolution of the noutes screens is within: 1366×768 1920×1080.
For a full viewing video of the HD-quality video, you will need a display with a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels. At the same time, a resolution of 1366×768 is quite enough for home, work or study.
In addition to the number of pixels, you also need to know their density (Pixels per Inch). After all, the same resolution in different diagonals will give a different picture. So resolution 1366×768 on 14 inches will look better than 17 inches.
It is important to know: the optimal density of the pixels of the LCD display for the laptop. 100 ppi.
Type of display
Realism and juiciness of the picture are achieved at the expense of the matrix. They are:
- TN is a budget option that has a low brightness, low image quality and a small viewing angle. At the same time, such a matrix has a high response speed, which is extremely important during network games;
- IPS is a more advanced matrix, which in everything except the speed of response exceeds the previous type. However, this difference is unlikely to determine by the eye even an experienced user. advanced modifications of such technology-S-IPS and S-IPS II;
- MVA (P-MVA, SVA, WVA) is an improved TN, but with a longer response;
- OLED and AMOLED are the brightest matrices that are placed on laptops with the best displays.
Glossy and matte screens are distinguished by the type of surface. The former provides increased clarity and contrast, the second is more comfortable to work. because they reduce the glimmer of the monitor
Note that there are laptops with a sensory screen, which, inter alia, react to touching the fingers. This is convenient when showing presentations or quick scrolling information on the Internet. Access to information.
The processor plays a leading role in laptop performance. The best laptop processors are made by Intel and AMD. The former are characterized by technological and advanced developments, for this reason they are expensive, but they work powerfully!
AMD processors are positioned as more affordable in price. However, every year this line is erased: the “blue” learn to do easier, and the “red” surprise their new products. Regardless of the brand, comparing the processors for laptops, you should pay attention to the following characteristics:
- The number of nuclei. directly affects performance. The processor nuclei distribute a load among themselves, which allows you to perform many tasks at the same time. In addition to the number of nuclei, you need to take into account their fluidity and architecture (location);
- clock frequency. determines the speed of computing operations. Of course, in the rating of processors for laptops, one who has a higher clock frequency will be higher;
- Cache-memory-the speed of processing of current data depends on its volume. The cache reacts faster than the RAM and solves hot tasks, thereby unloading the RAM and increase the total speed of the laptop. Cache is the second (l2) and third (l3) level.
It is important to know: in the laptop there is from 2 to 8 nuclei. Which of these processors is better for a laptop? The question is rather rhetorical, because sometimes two cores are enough for a high.quality task of the task.
External graphics card for a laptop (discrete video card) is a separate microcircuit with “your brains”: a processor and memory. Such cards are used for complex tasks, including design, and for gaming fun!
There is no better video card for a laptop, so in many models there are simultaneously video cards of both types. They can work simultaneously (hybrid mode) or alternately. In this mode, the selection of a video card is automatically carried out depending on the task performed. A more energy.economic option is a hybrid regime.
RAM for laptop (RAM) is responsible for the speed of the computer. She stores and processes data to perform current operations. The more RAM, the more programs can be opened at the same time, without freezing and braking of the system.
For simple office tasks and everyday use, the amount of RAM 2 GB will be enough. If you plan to work with serious resource.intensive programs or load heavy games, you will need a memory for a laptop from 4 GB and above: 6 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB and even 64 GB.
Laptop operating system
You cannot run your laptop or computer without the operating system. Without OS, your laptop becomes a decorative device. The responsibility of the OS is the management of hardware and software. It includes managing your files, documents, memory and all connected devices.The operating system allows you to meaningfully interact with the computer. Various types of OS are available on the market. It is always better to buy laptops that are supplied with a pre.installed OS.
In addition, you must make sure that your OS has a lifetime warranty. He will take care of updates for life. Sometimes laptop manufacturers do not include OS to reduce the price. You need to purchase OS separately.
Windows OS operating system
Today, Windows is the most commonly used OS in the world. The last offer from MS Windows is Windows 10. There are two common Windows 10 OS, namely Windows 10 Pro Edition and Windows 10 Home Edition.
As the name implies, the first is suitable for business people and professional users, and the second is great for home use. Remember that the OS comes with the laptop. Therefore, a laptop with a pre.installed Windows OS costs more than a laptop without an OS.
MacOS operating system
You will find MacOS on laptops and apple computers. MacOS is a more smooth and better OS compared to Windows OS. Certain programs work better on MacOS than on computers with Windows. Secondly, MacOS helps laptops and apple computers achieve more battery life.
Linux operating system
Usually you cannot find Linux on home computers and laptops. Nevertheless, Linux is a favorite choice of computer geeks and professionals, because it provides them with excellent technical capabilities. Secondly, you can download the software and install it on your laptop, even if your laptop does not come with a pre-installed Linux OS.
Chrome OS operating system
Chrome OS is a special Google OS designed for specific laptops called Chromebook.
It can be seen on inexpensive laptops with a pre.installed DOS. You will not be able to launch any applications in such browsers. You need to install a separate OS to use the laptop. You can purchase Windows OS and install it on a computer. In addition, you can also download Linux OS for free and install it if you want to save.
They can be used both as traditional laptops and as tablets: to watch films, drawing or games on the touch screen.
Lenovo Flex 5 14iil05
- Display: 14 inches, IPS, glossy, sensory, resolution. 1 920 × 1 080 pixels (Full HD).
- Processor: dual.core Intel Core i3 1005G1 (10th generation), 1.2 GHz.
- Video card: Integrated Intel UHD Graphics.
- Memory: RAM. 8 GB of DDR4, 3 200 MHz; constant. SSD for 256 GB.
- Battery: 52 W Mav, up to 10 hours of work.
- Dimensions, weight: 32 × 21.75 × 2.04 cm; 1.5 kg.
- OS in the kit: “Windows 10 Home”.
- Configuration number: 81x100qhru.
One of the most budgetary modern transformers, which is placed even in a small bag and meets the standards of hand luggage. The model based on Intel Core i3 of the 10th generation received a bright sensory screen with thin frames. it is easy to open 360 degrees, turning a laptop into a tablet, an interactive display for presentations and a drawing panel.
Despite the compactness in the laptop, there are all the necessary intenses, including HDMI to output the pictures to the monitor, TV or projector, as well as a slot for connecting SD cards.
Dell Inspiron 14 5410
- Display: 14 inches, IPS, glossy, sensory, resolution. 1 920 × 1 080 pixels (Full HD).
- Processor: four.core Intel Core i7–165g7 (11th generation), 2.9 GHz.
- Video card: Integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics.
- Memory: RAM. 12 GB of DDR4, 3 200 MHz; constant. SSD for 512 GB.
- Battery: 41 W Mav, up to 7 hours.
- Dimensions, weight: 32 × 21 × 1.8 cm; 1.65 kg.
- OS in the kit: “Windows 10 Home“.
- Configuration number: 5410-7227.
A universal laptop with a powerful processor and highly effective memory, with which it is easy to deploy a convenient workplace in any conditions. Thanks to an energy.efficient processor and a fairly capacious battery, you can not approach the outlet for a very long time.
There is support for the latest Wi.Fi 6 standard, a pair of standard USB 3 ports.0 and one universal USB.C, as well as the HDMI, Bluetooth 5 connector.1 and cartridder.
HP Envy X360
- Display: 15.6 inches, IPS, glossy, sensory, resolution. 1 920 × 1 080 pixels (Full HD).
- Processor: eight.core AMD Ryzen 7 5700U, 1.8 GHz.
- Video card: integrated AMD Radeon Graphics.
- Memory: RAM. 16 GB DDR4, 3 200 MHz; constant. SSD for 512 GB.
- Battery: 51 W man, up to 14 hours of work.
- Dimensions, weight: 36 × 22.8 × 1.8 cm; 2.07 kg.
- OS in the kit: “Windows 10 Home“.
- Configuration number: EU0021ur 4E0V3EA.
A productive model with modest dimensions and weight with which you will not want to part. The transformer easily copes even with the most demanding programs, but at the same time it will also easily withstand more than half a day without recharging.
There should also not be difficulties with connecting the periphery and accessories, because the laptop has all the necessary ports, ranging from HDMI and ending with a cartridor. And for high.quality sound, an audio system is responsible from the eminent manufacturer Bang Olufsen.
HP Spectre 13. AW2020ur
- Display: 13.3 inches, OLED, anti.BELIC, sensory, resolution. 3 840 × 2 160 pixels (4K).
- Processor: four.core Intel Core i7–165g7 (11th generation), 2.8 GHz.
- Video card: Integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics.
- Memory: RAM. 16 GB LPDDR4X, 3 733 MHz; Constant. SSD for 1 TB.
- Battery: 60 watts, up to 12 hours of work.
- Dimensions, weight: 30.6 × 19.5 × 1.7 cm; 1.3 kg.
- OS in the kit: “Windows 10 Home“.
- Configuration number: 2Z4M9EA.
The most powerful 2.1 in 1 format device with a completely aluminum case and an amazing high resolution OLED display. Thanks to a productive filling, the laptop easily copes with the tasks of any complexity, including 4K video editing. At the same time, you can easily count on a full time without recharging, also with a margin.
The model supports handwritten input using a corporate identity, which comes in the kit. The keyboard has convenient large keys and backlight. Of the other features, you can distinguish the Bang Olufsen audio system, a fingerprint scanner, as well as an automatic webcam curtain that physically closes the lens by pressing one of the functional buttons.