How to change the folder for downloads
Hello, readers of our site for beginners. The Internet opens us a lot of useful opportunities. This is the search for information, people, communicating with them through Skype, agent. In addition, we can share themselves with their knowledge, skills through our own website (blog) or with the help of social networks. But in one way or another, we constantly download anything from various resources: programs, music, files, movies, etc.D. All these downloads are loaded by default in a special folder. Many newcomers do not know where these downloads are located. In addition, this folder can be changed, t.E. specify another folder elsewhere in your computer or laptop.
Today we will look at how to change the folder for downloads in various browsers. Let’s start, as always, Google Chrome
If you feel about a rare number of people who still use Internet Explorer, here are the instructions, how to change the place of saving downloads:
Now all files will be saved here. There is another universal way to change for all users. this is directly through the system settings.
If you use different Single programs on the Internet, it is easier to simply change the location of the system folder where the default is downloaded. Such a need arises when the system disk is overflowing, and you download large amounts of information from the network, which leads to freezes and braking in. First you need to know how to find this folder in any Windows computer:
- In the Explorer window on the left in the menu next to the “Desktop” and “Favorites” items will be the “Download” directory with a blue arrow.
- You can go to the system disk (usually a C drive), go to Users (users), then click on the icon with your username and open “Downloads” (Downloads).
This directory is systemic, so it is not so easy to change the settings. There is no way to simply change the folder in the system designed to download. But you can move it:
- Open the path in the conductor window to which the system directory should be, where the downloadable content is saved.
- Call the context menu and go to the “Properties”.
- In the new window that appears, go to the “Location” tab.
- The opened point will show the current location.
- Click “Move”.
- Select a new one, preferably a predetermined and necessarily empty directory.
- Click “Apply” and confirm the movement of all data into a new location.
The restoration of the previous state is possible in the same way. Just specify the previous way.
It happens that users accidentally remove this directory or it can disappear, for example, when infecting a computer with a virus. In this case, the first thing you have to do is check the computer with antivirus and neutralize the threat.
Consider how to restore the location of saving in the system if this folder suddenly disappeared, and each browser places downloads in different places to discretion.
- Go to “Start” and select “Run”.
- Call the command prompt by printing CMD and clicking Enter.
- Dial this entry on the command line:
ATTRIB.S.H C: \ Users \ User \ downloads
where “user” is the name specifically of your computer user.
After that, the system must restore the folder.
We looked at how you can open a system folder to download, change its location, how to change the default folder where the Yandex and some other browser downloads. All this is necessary for the convenience and acceleration of the computer.
How to configure download to a separate folder or disk in browsers.
sixteen.07.2016 (Admin) continue to study computer browsers. Today you will learn how to configure downloading files to the folder you need. By default in browsers all files are downloaded to the “Download” folder of the system disk. It is not very convenient to those who often shakes large in volume files (cinema, games).
Why uncomfortable, but because, most often, with normal system setup, the hard disk is divided into two local. One of them is a system where system installed, programs. For a system local disk, a small volume is highlighted, and if you download files for several gigs to it, the disk will quickly overflow and the system will work unstable.
Second, just for storing personal files. The second local disk has the rest of the volume, and if you download files directly to it, your system will always have free memory for stable operation.
Let’s start. In Chrome, click on the “Menu” button, in the upper right corner, then click on the “Settings” row.
A window will open in which you want to go down (using the mouse wheel) and click “Show Advanced Settings”.
Next descend even lower, to the “Downloaded files” item.
Note, there is a line “Always specify a place to download”. If you put a tick, then each time you download the window, where you need to specify the path in which the future downloaded file is placed.
If you need a separate folder for all downloads, then in the “Location of downloaded files” string, click “Change” and choose the path. Now the window will show a new way to download.
In Opera, click “Menu”, then “Settings”. In the “Basic” section you will see the item “Downloads”.
Here you can also put a tick for a permanent choice of different locations of downloads. Or click the “Edit” button and select the path to the file.
In Mozilla, everything is also approximately “Menu”. “Settings”.
In the “Basic” section in the “Download” section, select “Always issue a request to save the file”, or click “Overview” and point the path.
How to configure download to a separate folder or disk in browsers. Updated: February 18, 2017 by the author: admin
Change the default location location on PC
- After turning on the PC with Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10, you will need to right-click the icon on the desktop, which will be on your home screen.
- Now, after you follow to the desktop function, right-click the Windows Explorer, presented in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Now, from the pop-up menu, you will need to right-click the “Desk” icon. Note: You can also access the “desktop”, double-clicking (clicking the left mouse button) to “my computer” or “this computer” (depending on the version of your OS), and after opening the window with “My Computer” you can Left-click on the “Desktop”. Icon on the left side of the screen.
- Now, after you have chosen the “desktop”, some icons will be displayed on the right side of the window, and you will need to double-click (with the left mouse button) folder named your account.
- In the folder opened with the name of your account, you will need to right-click on the “Download” folder provided there.
- After you right-click on the “Download” folder, you will need to right-click on the “Properties”.
- Now that the “Properties” window is open, you will need to click the left mouse button on the Location tab represented at the top of this window.
- Now that you have chosen the “Location” tab, you can see the path for which the downloadable items go.
- Left-click on the “Move” button, which is located under the path you specified.
- Now, after you click on the left mouse button on “Move”, you will need to independently burn the disc to which you want to download your items, as well as in which folder. Note. If the folder you wrote does not exist after you click the left mouse button on the “Apply” button, located on the bottom right of the screen, you will be asked if you want to create this folder to download, and right-click on ” OK”. ” confirm.
- Another “Move the folder” window will appear, in which the old and new location will be shown in which you will need to right-click the Yes button located on the right side of the screen.
- Now you need to click the left mouse button on the “OK” button in the Download Properties window.
- Go to the new location in which you selected the file download, and check whether Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 has created a “Download” folder. Note. Restart the Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 device, if it has not created the “Download” folder to a new directory and check again after power on.
- Related: I can not rename folders in Windows 10 [FIX]
If Windows 10 is your preferred OS, you can also change the location of the download folder on the settings page:
Thus, now you can download your files or programs in Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10, without worrying about the site of download. Share your thoughts about this article in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев below and feel free to list your suggestions about what we can do to help you further work on your computer with Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10.
In addition, the location where Windows 10 update is saved on your computer, is difficult, but for this you can check this fresh manual here where the default boot folder is for Windows 10 versions.
Related stories to check:
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2014 and since then updated for freshness and accuracy.
To change the default load directly in Internet Explorer, click on the small settings button in the upper right corner.
Click on “View download”.
A new window will open on the screen in which all the last downloaded files will be. In the lower left corner you will see the “Parameters” button. Once you click on this button, a window will appear on the screen in which you can set a new folder to download files.
All these methods are successfully operating in all browsers. If your program is not among the above, do not despair. All of them have similar inteeis and work according to the same principle, so that these recommendations may be useful in any case, the main thing is to understand the sequence:
- Open the parameters or settings of your browser.
- Find a section on downloaded files.
- Change the folder specified in the settings as a location of the default downloads.
- Confirm changes and close the window with settings.
These simple steps will help you configure your downloads, structure the files you download.
How to change the location of the download folder in the registry editor. 3 way
Change the download folder location on your computer using the registry editor system application.
How to change the Windows loader folder. 3 ways
Now we will look at how to change the Windows boot folder how to transfer the download folder to the “D” disk (or on a local disk having another letter), because the default standard location is not always convenient for some users. When working on a PC, the user downloads files from the Internet, which are placed in the Download folder (downloads).
System Folder “Download” is designed to store files loaded from a network in a specific location on a computer. Browsers and most other programs when settings by default are saved in this folder downloaded data from the Internet.
It is convenient to the user that the files are in one place, they are easy to find. Sometimes, you need to change the default boot folder, for example, when the system disk remains very little free space, or several users have on one computer.
In the first case, the download folder must be transferred to another local disk so that downloaded files do not occupy a lot of space on the system disk. In the second case, it will be convenient to have one download folder for all PC users if they do not have secrets from each other.
Therefore, some users are looking for information on how to transfer the download folder to another drive, how to change the Windows loader folder. We need to change the file download folder on the computer.
Folder “Download” is posted in the user profile along the path (on PC there may be similar options):
From the user profile (account profile), the folder must be transferred to another place: to another disk or to another location on the system disk. In this manual, you will find instructions for several ways to help change the location of the Windows download folder.
How to change the “Download” folder in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7. 1 method
On the Windows operating system, you can open the “Download” folder from the System File Manager window. Explorer. You can do this in several ways, consider some of them.
- Open the “This computer” location in the conductor, click on the download folder right-click.
- In the menu that opens, select “Properties”.
We need to change the properties of the “Download” folder:
In the field, you can immediately enter the path to the new location of the download folder, or select the desired folder using the conductor.
- Click on the “Move” button.
- In the “Select End Folder” window, highlight the folder that will serve as a new folder for downloads, and then click on the Folder Select button.
- The “Properties: Downloads” window will open again, in the Location tab. Check out the new location for file storage, click on the “OK” button.
- In the “Move folder” window, agree to change the location of the folder.
In the Explorer window, open the local disc to which the folder has been moved to ensure that the download folder has changed its location.
The download folder moves to a new place together with all the downloaded files that are in this folder at a given time.
Move the download folder to another disc. 2 way
Now we will analyze the easiest way to change the location of the downloads folder on the computer.
- Open in one Explorer window User profile with system folders.
- Then open another Explorer window where you want to move the “Download” folder.
- Press and hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard.
- Highlight the “Download” folder, clamp the left mouse button, drag the folder to another conductor window, in the place of the new location.
How to change the location of the download folder in the registry editor. 3 way
Change the download folder location on your computer using the registry editor system application.
- Highlight the “” parameter, and then click on it right mouse button.
- In the context menu, select “Edit”.
- For the download folder you need to change the path. In the “Changing String Parameter” window in the “Meaning:” field, enter the new download folder location.
How to disable grouping by date in the Windows 10 boot folder
Starting from the version of Windows 10 1903 in the “Loading” folder, the default setting is activated for grouping files by date. This feature was present in previous versions of the OS, but was not included.
To disable grouping by date in the Download folder, do the following:
As a result, the files in the “Download” folder will stop distributed by the dates of appearance in this location.
How to change location download files on your computer
You downloaded the file and do not know where it downloaded? Usually, the address can be viewed in the download list, but if the list is cleared, then you need another way.
By default, browsers download files to a special folder, which is called “Downloads”. Where to find a folder?
The folder is in the user profile. But the location of the profile depends on the operating system version. In Windows XP, the download folder is located at:
C: Documents and Settings \ My documentsDOWNLOADS
In Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 folder is located here:
C: Users \ Downloads or C: Users \ Downloads
And Mac Computers The download folder is located at:
- Press the “Windows” key combination “R”. You will open the “Run” window. In the input field, you must enter% homepath% and click OK.
- Open Explorer and in the address bar Write% HomePath% and press ENTER.
In both cases, the conductor will open with the desired user folder. You just can find a folder with downloads in it. downloads.
If downloads elsewhere
Each browser in the settings provides the ability to change the default download folder. Accordingly, if the download folder does not have what you are looking for, the files may be saved to another folder.
In Chrome, Opera, Yandex.The browser needs to open the menu and select Settings. Further additional settings and go to the download section. There you can see where the downloaded files are saved now and change this folder.
How to change the location of files from the Internet
September 22, 2016 Lyudmila Page »Internet 2112
Many novice computer users are wondering how to change the location of files from the Internet to not search for them on all computer folders.
Today I will tell you and show you how to create your folder on the desktop to download all files from the Internet, and how to configure your browser so that all these files fall into it.
When you swing files from the Internet, then they are default in a special folder that is located in a not very convenient place. In different versions of Windows, these folders are called differently and are located in different places.
In Windows XP, this folder is called downloads and was usually either among system files, or in the My Documents folder. Everything depended on the assembly of the operating system. In Windows Vista / 7/8/10, this folder is called download and also hidden. You can find it through the conductor.
I am always surprised how newcomers still manage to find their downloaded files. Why the developers stuck this folder far? Unclear. And we will create your folder for downloads and put it on your desktop.
Right-click on the file free of files and in the drop-down list, select Create. Folder.
Rename it as you want. I usually call her “downloads”. Now change the view of this folder to be noticeable. To do this, right-click on this folder and at the bottom, select Properties.
In the Properties window, go to the Settings tab, go down to the bottom, and click on the “Change icon” button.
Select the icon you like for the folder and click OK, then apply, and close the Properties window.
How to download file
In this lesson, we will consider the situation of classic download files. This is when you click on the link, the browser “picks up” the file and starts to download it.
In theoretical lesson, I called this procedure “Downloading attached files” procedure. The process itself can be described in three words: clicked. went loading.
The problem with which many users faces is that after downloading the file fails to find in the computer. And, as a rule, immediately after loading it open and see it, but then finding quite difficult.
The situation is complicated by the fact that in different browsers (programs for the Internet) the process of downloading is somewhat different. Let’s try to figure it out.
Where to look for files after downloading
Most often files after downloading fall into a single place. in the download folder (downloads) or in the Documents folder (My Documents).
Suppose you downloaded the file, but you can’t find it in the computer. That is, you saw how the file loaded and it seems like the download ended. But it’s impossible to find it.
What to do? Click on the button “Start” (below left).
If you have a rectangular part of about this species, as in the picture, click on the first top point from the right side.
In the picture, it is called neumeka, you will have some other name (usually this is an Admin or your name).
Window opens. You need to open the “Download” folder. Also she can be called downloads.
The picture below shows the already open “Downloads” folder. As you can see, there is a bunch of different files. This is what was downloaded by me from the Internet. You will have your own bunch
How to change the boot path | Do everything yourself
Uploading files from the Internet, the default browser saves them into the folder made. The whole user, if necessary, can specify individual parameters for saving downloaded files, indicating the desired folder to place them.
Depending on which browser you use, your actions when determining the boot path may look different.
We will see the methods of methamoz of ways to download files from the Internet using example 3 especially famous browsers: Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome.
If you use Opera (Opera), for the methamoz of the boot path, you need to perform the following steps.
Run the browser, later, click the “Menu” button (this button is located on the right side of the browser). Further you need to prefer the “Settings” item, where you need to go to the “Universal Settings” section.