Gopro HERO 6
GoPro introduced the new generation of its HERO9 action camera 09/16/2020.
The most notable configuration in the GoPro Hero 9 Black is the 1.4 “color LCD on the front panel. The screen acts as a viewfinder, making it much more convenient for you. Make sure everything you need is in the frame.
Another significant difference between the new and the previous model. sensor resolution. The GoPro HERO8 has a 12 megapixel sensor, while the HERO9. almost doubled. 23.6 megapixels. Thanks to this, the maximum video resolution has grown to 5K 30p. The camera captures 4K video at up to 60 fps. Also available to shoot photos with a resolution of 20 MP (using the SuperPhoto function).
The eighth generation will consist of two new products: GoPro HERO8 Black. GoPro MAX
The main emphasis and message: Unrivaled video stabilization at every moment of shooting, stereo sound, live broadcast in FullHD 1080, ease of use, voice control in 11 languages 6 dialects! The visual form factor of the new camera will remain practically NOT changed in comparison with the 7th one. This is a rectangular TV with sleeker angles, a streamlined shape and a new system of attachments (ears) that slide out neatly and securely from the bottom of the camera.
The update of the form factor mainly affected the lens, which began to protrude less from the “body” of the camera itself. The front has become more streamlined. It is now impossible to remove and replace the protective lens, but as the company says, now it is unnecessary, since a new glass alloy is used, which has become more scratch resistant.
Mounting rings, by which the camera is attached to the monopods and the latches are located at the bottom, and are easily hidden in the body of the camera itself, and the magnetized elements prevent them from falling out. That’s right, you can now mount your GoPro on a helmet or bike handlebar without an extra frame. This is one of the major visual upgrades that HERO has made in recent years.
Now that the camera no longer needs a mounting frame, the sides can be used. Gopro has created a line of accessories called Mods. The main Media Mod wraps around the camera itself, and has a directional microphone, Type-C, mini HDMI and 3.5 mini Jack outputs, and 2 hot shoes for Display and Light Mod (2 “screen and light).
So, GoPro HERO8 Black. The most versatile Action Camera HERO with unrivaled stabilization (HyperSmooth 2.0). The improved design makes it more compact than ever, and thanks to the built-in clamping rings, changing mounts takes just a few seconds. The presence of a media module provides ample opportunities for connecting an additional lighting system, professional sound equipment and even a second screen. Video bloggers (vloggers), streamers, reviewers will be in ecstasy 🙂
In addition, the GoPro Hiro 8 features revolutionary HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilization for incredible time-lapse videos.
GoPro MAX Camera. Shoot traditional HERO-style video with unrivaled stabilization, or create stunning Spherical footage without missing a shot. Discover MAX. the best GoPro camera for creativity. Take panoramic shots without panning, choose digital lenses and enjoy the highest quality stereo surround sound.
Gopro 8. These are high-performance cameras that allow you to shoot videos in 5.6K, 4K, Full HD and even more. You can easily select the desired angle of view, take burst / slow motion, or work in TimeWarp mode. Using the GoPro mobile app, you can turn the camera on and off, start / stop shooting, remotely adjust settings, and edit footage.
GoPro video modes
Initially, action cameras were popular among professional athletes and extreme sports enthusiasts. Today, a GoPro camera accompanies people in their lives, at work, on vacation, in hobby.
Numerous camera settings sometimes confuse new users. And the selected options “the more the better” will not make the resulting materials ideal, but will complicate the process of processing and playback. Therefore, you need to choose a video mode based on your needs. In this article, we will help you understand the settings of GoPro cameras.
The GoPro camera has three video modes:
The photo shows a diagram of the modes and settings of the GoPro HERO5 Black.
The mode used when shooting video with GoPro action cameras. Video format and quality are influenced by three main settings:
- Video file resolution (RES). the number of pixels (dots) horizontally, which is responsible for the quality and detail of the video. GoPro cameras record 4K video, comparable to professional video. But to view such a video, you need a technique that supports this quality. Nevertheless, the potential of the camera, capable of shooting 4K video, increases light sensitivity and image quality in the second modes. For example, with a resolution of 1080P, a full-fledged HD video is shot, comfortably viewed on a TV screen of any diagonal. Or 720P mode, which is sufficient for playback on most computers. Video in this quality Takes up less space, is easy to play and easier to edit.
- Frame rate per second (FPS). responsible for the smoothness and the ability to slow down the video. The frame rate from 60 frames when processing video in the editor is easily stretched, slowing down the video, focusing on spectacular tricks. The higher the frequency, the smoother the slow-motion video will be. When shooting a regular video, it is enough to limit yourself to a frequency of 25-30 frames, since the human eye does NOT distinguish more frames per second, this will only increase the size of the video file.
- Angle of view (FOV). this is the field of view of the lens.
Choosing a wide angle will help cover the maximum space around you and less. make a video with more detail. A common option for shooting with an action camera is first person (POV) shooting, using the Superview angle of view will help improve the immersion effect in the video format.
Now let’s take a look at the most common video modes and settings according to experienced users.
RES mode. 2.7K / FOV. Superview / FPS-30
One of the best modes for shooting, it uses the entire sensor, while the sensor interacts perfectly with the processor, which gives maximum image quality and fast processes. Perfect for filming a really exciting first person video, and not needing slow motion.
RES mode. 1080P / FOV. Wide / FPS-60
Like 2.7K, it is optimal for the interaction of the sensor and processor, giving out excellent quality and has a reasonable size. This is the Recommended “standard” for almost all non-first person photography. This mode is good for shooting subjects that are moving quickly, walking while traveling, skiing, snowboarding, surfing. Video of this format is popular among users, allows for quick post-processing and is of sufficient quality for YouTube, social networks. This is the mode on the GoPro HERO5 black camera in the default settings.
RES mode. 720P / FOV. Narrow / FPS-120.
An excellent mode to get high quality slow motion video. Ideal for extreme video clips, cool slow motion tricks for Instagram.
After trying these common modes and understanding their work, you can adjust the settings and change them for your specific tasks.
GoPro’s Video mode has additional settings: Auto Low Light, Stabilization, and Protune, which also help improve video quality under certain conditions.
Auto Low Light helps with night and twilight shooting, in low light. Automatically reduces the frame rate per second, due to which the video becomes clearer, appears brighter, and improves the quality of the footage. This mode is available when shooting in modes with a frame rate above 30.
Video stabilization (EIS)
For this setting in GoPro HERO5 cameras, read more in our article.
Protune. manual settings function, opens the possibility of fine-tuning video parameters. We talk about the function in detail here.
A mode that takes photographs simultaneously with video recording. The camera will take pictures at intervals of 5,10,30 or 60 seconds. Frames shot in video fhoto mode will differ in size and quality, and graininess will increase. The mode works in the following video recording formats: RES1440P FPS up to 24, RES1080P FPS up to 30, RES720P FPS up to 60
Usually this mode is turned on when using the camera as a DVR. This mode is described in more detail in our next article.
Shine! Motor! Camera! Introducing HERO8 BLACK, MAX Modules
GoPro Today Unveils HERO8 Black, Modules & MAX, Opening Up New Camera Options.
HERO8 Black benefits from a new level of HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilization that far surpasses the capabilities of HyperSmooth 1.0. Imagine this is possible! Hypersmooth 2.0 supports all resolutions and frame rates, has an Enhance mode and makes horizon leveling possible in the application. In addition, the new TimeWarp 2.0 feature allows you to automatically adjust the video speed with one touch. HERO8 Black features four digital lenses for easy viewing angle selection, excellent sound quality with wind cancellation, customizable presets, and a lightweight frameless design with foldable clip rings. Do not miss!
Media module. Screen module and light module. These are modular accessories that give HERO8 Black the ability to capture professional-quality audio, front-facing display, and quality lighting. Modules empower users and turn HERO8 Black into a true multi-tool.
Gopro MAX. This is a dual lens GoPro camera with versatility. it’s like three cameras in one. The MAX can be used as a waterproof HERO single-lens camera with maximum stabilization, a dual-lens sphere camera, or a next-level vlogging camera with an integrated front display and high-quality audio recording capabilities. Regardless of how you use the MAX camera, it delivers unrivaled video stabilization with Max HyperSmooth. In addition, the MAX is equipped with four digital lenses, including the ultra-wide Max SuperView with the widest angle of view in GoPro history. Additional features include: stitching spherical photos and videos and editing spherical footage using key frames in the GoPro App. The Gopro MAX is NOT comparable to any other camera in the world. it is ideal for those who are constantly on the lookout and strive to maximize their creative potential.
GoPro Million Dollar Contest
The GoPro Million Dollar Challenge is back with HERO8 Black and MAX. The Million Dollar Competition is for HERO8 Black and MAX owners only. Winners whose video clips make it into the final video of the GoPro Million Dollar Contest, which will be released at the end of January 2020, will receive equal shares of the total prize pool of 1,000,000 Entries will start on October 1 and end on January 12.
“The first GoPro camera was created 15 years ago. From the beginning, we wanted to empower people to share their passions, creativity and adventure. says GoPro founder and CEO Nick Woodman. HERO8 Black, Modules and MAX Redefine Camera Capabilities “.
At the heart of the HERO8 Black is the previous model, but now the HERO lineup also includes the Ultimate Performance. HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization technology offers significantly improved vertical-offset stabilization and now supports all frame rates and resolutions. The unique TimeWarp 2.0 feature automatically adjusts the recording speed and allows you to slow down video to real time with one touch. Enhanced SuperPhoto captures dynamic, clear HDR shots, while the new LiveBurst mode captures 1.5 seconds before and after the shutter is released in 12MP (4K 4: 3) resolution. And for those who care about sound quality, HERO8 Black has a wind-optimized front mic for superior video sound.
In addition, thanks to four new digital lenses. including GoPro’s patented SuperView lens and distortion-free linear lens. every shot will come out professional. For greater convenience, you can create shooting presets to quickly access settings for shooting any kind of activity. All this is realized in an optimized frameless design with foldable clamping rings.
HERO8 Black can also be used as a vlogging camera and can be converted into a multi-tool thanks to GoPro‘s new modular accessory system. Modules allow you to expand the capabilities of your HERO8 Black as needed without sacrificing the compactness and ruggedness of your HERO camera.
Media module. Users will get a built-in premium microphone and two cold shoes for connecting additional accessories, as well as Type-C, HDMI and 3.5mm jacks for connecting an external microphone.
Screen module. Users will get a folding front or rear 1.9-inch display that attaches to the top of the media module. This size is ideal for composing a shot for vlogging, and when not in use, the module can be easily folded down to keep it out of the way.
Light module. Waterproof to a depth of 10 meters, allows you to shoot handheld or with the introduction of various mounts. For the price of this module. the most versatile light source available. By attaching the light module to the media module or GoPro mount, you can illuminate any scene. It can be charged and comes with a diffuser to soften the light when shooting movies with HERO8 Black.
We also have the GoPro MAX, a versatile camera that can be called three cameras in one. The MAX is waterproof to 5 meters and can be used as a single lens HERO camera with maximum stabilization, a dual lens spherical system, or a versatile vlogging device. three cameras in one. In addition, in the MAX, every function is maximized. Max HyperSmooth. This is a new level of unrivaled stabilization with an in-camera horizon leveling function that completely solves the problem of gimbal implementation. With the Max TimeWarp feature, you can manage time and space like never before, and you get a vastly enhanced experience over the conventional TimeWarp feature. Max SuperView provides the widest viewing angle with incredible immersion in GoPro history.
When editing spherical video, MAX users can now use the “reflow” function. a new algorithm based on key frames in the GoPro App. Now you have the ability to easily and quickly convert Spherical videos to traditional video with incredibly smooth transitions. Reflow matches the capabilities of Some PC Spherical Video Editing Solutions, but combines the convenience and ease of use of the GoPro App.
And for vlogging, the MAX is a versatile option with unrivaled video stabilization, four digital lenses for perfect shots, a front-facing touchscreen for easy framing, and six microphones for high-quality directional audio recording. Add to this the ability to shoot 270 ° panoramas in PowerPano mode, the built-in spherical photo and video stitching, and the convenience of the reflow function. MAX will truly prove to be a camera, not having analogues in the world.
Updated GoPro App
We are excited to announce that all the benefits of the award-winning Quik app are now built right into the GoPro App. But that is not all. The GoPro App also supports editing of both GoPro footage and phone footage, allows you to apply filters to single and multiple clips at the same time, and supports live streaming in 1080p on both HERO8 Black and MAX.
The app’s automatic video editing feature also includes four new themes based on iconic footage created by GoPro’s creative team. Choose from four themes. Adrenaline Seeker, Adventure Travel, Cinematic or Memory Curator. and share the result on social networks or save the draft in the application to continue working on the material later.
Million Dollar Contest Returns
For the second year in a row, GoPro is giving users the chance to try their luck in the million dollar competition and participate in the creation of a promotional video. The rules are simple: Grab HERO8 Black or MAX, Shoot the raw video and submit it to GoPro.com/milliondollarchallenge. The most original clips will be included in the final promo video, and their creators will receive their share of 1,000,000
HERO8 Black. Main characteristics
- Optimized design. The camera is 14% lighter, more compact, and also has a frameless mount thanks to the integrated collapsible clamping ring. Plus, the bezel-less design speeds up battery and SD card replacement, and the lens is now 2x more impact resistant.
- Modules for HERO8 Black. Quick and easy connection of accessories such as lights, microphones, LCD screens and more allows vloggers, professional filmmakers and aspiring content creators to do more than they imagined.
- Hypersmooth 2.0. improved overall stabilization performance and significantly improved vertical offset stabilization. HyperSmooth 2.0 also adds a new Boost mode that boosts stabilization as needed. What’s more, HyperSmooth 2.0 supports all resolutions and frame rates and makes horizon leveling possible in the app.
- Timewarp 2.0. automatically adjusts speed based on movement, scene and lighting. You can slow down the video to real time or return to speeding up with one touch.
- Digital lenses. switch between the following modes: Narrow, Linear, Wide and SuperView.
- Shooting presets. customize up to 10 shooting presets, or use the built-in base presets for standard, sports, cinematic and time-lapse video. They are convenient to use for quick access to settings.
- On-screen shortcuts. customize the screen with shortcuts for the functions you use most.
- Liveburst. Record 1.5 seconds before and after frames to get the chance to choose the best 12MP shot or create stunning 4K 4: 3 movie for sharing.
- Superphoto with improved HDR. Capture stunning 12MP photos with advanced HDR technology. in motion or motionless. with reduced blur and high detail even in low light conditions.
- Professional quality 4K60 1080p240 video. Stunning video resolution and selectable studio-quality bitrate up to 100Mbps, plus 8x slow motion video with ultra-high frame rate 1080p240.
- RAW in all photo modes. RAW format offers maximum flexibility and is now available for time-lapse and burst photography.
- Night time-lapse. Shoot stunning time-lapse videos at night in 4K, 2.7K 4: 3, 1440p or 1080p with in-camera processing.
- Live broadcast in 1080p. stream 1080p live on social media, use HyperSmooth stabilization while streaming via the GoPro App, and save content to SD card for later viewing.
- Voice control. control the camera hands-free using 14 voice commands in 15 languages and dialects, such as “GoPro, Take a photo”.
- Improved wind noise suppression. Enjoy clearer, clearer sound with a new front mic placement and advanced algorithms that actively suppress wind noise.
- Durable and waterproof. water resistance without using a box at a depth of 10 m.
- GPS support. Track speed, distance, and altitude, then tag your video using the GoPro App.
- Transferring files to your phone. your photos and videos are automatically transferred when connected to the GoPro App, so you can share moments on the go.
MAX. Main characteristics
- Integrated foldable clamping rings
- HERO spherical modes. Switch between traditional HERO-style photos and videos and immersive spherical footage.
- Max HyperSmooth. MAX provides unrivaled stabilization by using 180 ° shooting as the main buffer.
- Leveling the horizon in the camera. in HERO mode, revolutionary horizon alignment delivers incredibly smooth cinematic images.
- Max TimeWarp. this function works in both spherical mode and HERO mode. Timewarp in HERO mode automatically adjusts speed based on movement, scene and lighting, allowing one-touch toggle between slow to present and accelerate.
- Digital lenses. Four digital lenses for easy viewing angle selection and Max SuperView for maximum immersion.
- Max SuperView. Widest immersive viewing angle that can be achieved with digital lenses.
- Powerpano. panorama without panning. Capture stunning 270 ° panoramic photos without distortion. you don’t even need to move the camera along the horizon. Ideal for action shots and spectacular selfies.
- Excellent image quality. spherical video 5.6K30, 1440p60 and 1080p60 video in HERO mode, 5.5 megapixel photos in HERO mode and panoramic photos in 6.2 megapixel mode PowerPano.
- High quality surround sound stereo sound. Six microphones provide realistic surround sound or the best stereo sound in GoPro history.
- Directional sound. Directional audio in HERO mode allows audio to be prioritized from either side of the camera regardless of the lens used, ideal for vlogging.
- Bonding in the camera. upload and edit spherical footage in the GoPro App.
- Redesigning the GoPro App. Use the in-app keyframes algorithm to easily convert spherical footage to Traditional videos and photos that can be viewed, edited and published.
- Live broadcast 1080p. Shoot in HERO mode with HyperSmooth stabilization and share moments, live them.
- Durable and waterproof. this is a GoPro. withstands severe tests. Are you planning to shoot in extreme conditions? Put on the supplied protective lenses and forward. It is also waterproof up to 5 m.
- Voice control. 13 teams in 15 languages and dialects.
- GPS support. GPS determines your location, altitude and speed. Add GPS tags to videos in the GoPro App.
- Scene recognition. in HERO mode, the MAX camera knows where you are: in the snow, on the beach, underwater or anywhere else.
- Auto upload to cloud when using GoPro PLUS. Upload videos and photos from the MAX camera to the cloud. automatically.
Extreme, move over: who the GoPro Hero 8 Black was made for
The camera has become 14% lighter, but larger, but the lens now protrudes less from the body, due to which the Hero 8 seems smaller than the “seven”. The battery cover has changed: it can be easily removed, but just as easily bounces off, so removing the battery and changing the MicroSD memory card has become more convenient, but in the field you can easily lose this cover.
The battery capacity remains the same, and, for example, in 4K 60 frames per second, the GoPro 8 Black shoots 1 hour 12 minutes without interruption, only slightly warming up. An important change: the HDMI connector disappeared and only USB-C remained, and the bundle includes a charger, there is only a wire. this should be taken into account.
The cameras now have comfortable legs, which allow you to attach a monopod, tripod and other accessories. She will need a waterproof case only in case of diving to a depth of more than 10 meters.
Gopro has released a variety of accessories that are sold separately. All of them are connected via a new media module. it is such a frame in which a directional microphone is built, as well as a 3.5 mm jack, also known as Jack for connecting any other external microphones, HDMI, USB-C, two “cold shoes” for connecting light sources, microphones and LCD screens. This pleasure is worth a lot, adding a separate light module with a luminous flux of 200 lumens and an illumination level of 200 lux. this should be enough to illuminate your face when shooting yourself up to a meter away, and yes, you can also dive 10 meters with this light. The screen is sold separately, which complements the touch.
So what is it all for? That’s right, for video bloggers. This is how GoPro is looking for a new audience, which is why there is a live streaming mode that is now available in Full HD. Glass covering the lens. shock-resistant Gorilla Glass, so no additional protection is, in theory, necessary. Screw mounts for monopods and other accessories fit the G8 just like any GoPro Hero since the very first one, which was released 15 years ago. What’s inside?
Inside, all the same 12-megapixel camera and processor GP1, developed in partnership with GoPro Socionext. This stone debuted for the first time on Hero 6 Black, so there is no need to expect fundamental miracles from the G8. But, as you know, “hardware” does not always affect performance: software is much more important, and it is completely different in Hero 8 Black.
What can the GoPro 8 Black boast about (by the way, there is no Silver version anymore)? The first is the Hypersmooth 2.0 mode. The “seven” had Hypersmooth 1.0, but now, judging by the number, it is twice as steep, but it also cuts edges in 4K not by 5%, as before, but by 10%.
The new GoPro has three microphones with improved wind protection, four digital lenses (previously there were three): SuperView. these are the widest viewing angles, Wide, Linear, and Narrow. The camera has improved the Timewarp 2.0 function (this is the same “time-lapse”, and in the 8 Black quick menu it is called that. “Time-lapse”), there is also a night Timewarp mode. As with many other functions, write in the Timewarp You can not in all modes of lenses and not with any resolution.
Gopro HERO8 Black. The flagship of the HERO line
Gopro complements its already impressive series of action cameras with the latest HERO8 Black, the next generation versatile action camera designed to capture smooth, steady footage of your latest adventure, from a simple boat ride to a wild mountain jump. HERO8 Black features updated HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilization for smooth motion.
Additional upgrades include a sleeker fold-down design for quick mounting, a redesigned battery cover for quick battery replacement, a double-shock lens like HERO7, an optional Battery Mod for up to 2.5x longer life batteries and additional Media Mod to expand your additional capabilities.
Gopro HERO8 Black supports video resolutions up to UHD 4K as well as slow motion video. Still images can be captured at resolutions up to 12 megapixels at up to 30 images per second thanks to the updated SuperPhoto with HDR support, which helps reduce blur and improve detail in low light. It also has an updated Night-Lapse feature.
The LiveBurst function allows you to record 1.5 seconds before and after your photo to give you more choices for the best shot. Lens Field of View (FOV) options have also been updated to four modes: Narrow, Linear at 24.4mm, Wide at 16.5mm, and SuperView at 15.1mm.
Like its predecessor, HERO8 Black supports live streaming on Live. It is also waterproof to 33 feet, suitable for surfing, snorkeling and swimming. Separately available floats and hulls sold separately for additional water support and even deeper underwater activities up to 196 feet.
The touchscreen provides quick and easy control, but when your hands are full, HERO8 Black understands 15 voice commands in over ten languages and accents, so you can verbally control HERO8 Black. Just shout “GoPro, take a photo” and your HERO8 will use your current settings to take a photo.
HERO8 Black benefits:
Smaller, more streamlined design
Hypersmooth 2.0 Video Stabilization
HERO8 Black predicts your movements and corrects camera shake for smoother footage than ever before
Get the best photos automatically. With SuperPhoto, HERO8 Black intelligently applies HDR, Local Tone Mapping, or Noise Reduction to optimize your shots.
Timewarp 2.0 Video
Capturing super-stabilized time-lapse video as you move around the scene. Increase your speed up to 30 times to reimagine longer actions in general moments.
Records 1.5 seconds before and after taking a photo so you can choose the best frame for the perfect photo or share a short recorded video.
Share your story live via Live by saving the streaming video to your SD card.
4K60 Videos and 12MP Photos
The camera shoots video in UHD 4K resolution and 12MP frames.
The GoPro and Quik Apps let you access and edit your GoPro footage with easy-to-use yet powerful features. Quikstories combines the functionality of both apps, automatically downloads GoPro footage from your HERO8 Black, and creates an easy-to–site footage of your adventures.
Gopro Quik (iOS / Android)
Edit videos in total with a few taps
Gopro Quik | Desktop (Mac / Windows)
Import and edit your videos in just a few clicks
GoPro HERO8 Black specifications:
- Dimensions: 66.348.628.4 mm
- Weight: 103g (without battery)
- Battery: Li-ion 1220mAh
- Ports: USB-C, microSD, micro HDMI (with media module for HERO8 Black)
- Voice control: yes
- Water resistance: 10 m
- Memory: microSD NOT lower than Class 10 or UHS-1 (sold separately)
- Microphone: With media module for HERO8 Black or 3.5mm microphone adapter (sold separately)
CAPTURE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
- 4K wide linear viewing angle: 60, 30, 24 fps
- 4K (4: 3) wide viewing angle: 30, 24 fps
- 4K SuperView: 30, 24 fps
- 2.7K: 120, 60, 30, 24 fps wide angle 60, 30, 24 fps SuperView, linear, narrow angle
- 2.7K 4: 3: 60, 30, 24 fps wide linear, narrow angle of view
- 1440p: 120, 60, 30, 24 fps wide angle 60, 30, 24 fps linear, narrow angle
- 1080p: 240, 120, 60, 30, 24 fps wide angle 120, 60, 30, 24 fps linear angle 60, 30, 24 fps narrow angle