Types of mirrors-registrars and features of their choice
If we talk about the types of modern mirrors-recorders, then among themselves they will differ in the available functions, that is, the electronic filling. Simpler and cheaper models only have a recorder function. In expensive versions, there may be a function of an anti-radar, a navigator, a parking camera, and others. vary from about 1,300 to 14 thousand rubles, the main price range is 2-7 thousand rubles.
When buying a recorder mirror, you need to focus on how much money you are willing to spend and what functions such a device should have. Characteristics to pay attention to when choosing a mirror-recorder:
- Parameters of the main and parking cameras. The quality of the shooting depends on the resolution of the camera. In budget versions, cameras with a resolution of at least 720×480 pixels are installed, and in expensive models. 1920×1080.
- Recording format. Almost all modern devices are designed to work with video files in AVI or MP4 format, therefore recorders work in this format.
- Viewing angle. It is recommended to buy devices with a viewing angle of at least 120 °. Models available with viewing angles from 90 ° to 160 °.
- Diagonal of the monitor. Typically 2.7 to 5 inches.
- versatility. It can be installed on any car model;
- compact size. Since the entire device is located in the rear-view mirror housing, foreign elements and wires do not impair visibility;
- appearance. The design almost does not differ from a simple rear-view mirror, therefore it organically fits into the interior design and does not attract the attention of thieves;
Although a mirror-recorder has many advantages, like any other device, it has some disadvantages:
- the need to choose a device, taking into account the peculiarities of mounting a standard mirror;
- in some cars, the rear-view mirror is not fixed very reliably, therefore, it may not support the weight of the new design;
- in cheap models, poor-quality clamps or rubber bands are used for fastening, so there is a possibility of the device disconnecting while driving on our roads;
- if one of the devices in the composition fails, then all other functions stop working.
Mirror-recorder: types, functions, setting
To improve comfort and convenience, many drivers additionally equip their cars with modern gadgets. One of the common solutions is to install a mirror-recorder. In this case, a rear-view mirror and a recorder are combined, all information about the situation on the road is recorded and stored, while visibility does not close, since the device is installed in the place of a standard mirror or is put on it.
Any car enthusiast can independently install a mirror-recorder. If the device has only one camera, then it is enough to install it in place of the standard rear-view mirror using the existing mountings and connect the power supply. Some models can be fixed on top of an existing mirror. It is a little more difficult to install a device equipped with a rear view camera, but here you can do everything yourself.
- Rear View Camera.
- Rear view camera mount.
- Power adapter.
- Fixing the mirror-recorder. The device is installed on a standard mirror and is fixed with rubber mounts. Some models are mounted in place of a regular mirror.
- Rear view camera installation. It is better to install it outside the car so that there is no interference and there is a better view. The housing is waterproof, so the camera is usually fixed with mounts above the license plate.
If the recorder is installed on a standard mirror, it is obtained at a certain distance from the windshield. In rainy weather or with a dirty windshield, the device can focus on the glass and the background will be blurred, so it must be constantly clean. In the case of installing a mirror-recorder instead of a standard mirror, the camera is close to the windshield and the image is clear.
The peculiarities of this device are that the recorder is located inside the rear-view mirror housing, and this allows you to combine the functions of both devices. The registrar mirror includes the following elements:
- main and parking camera. The rear camera can be wired or wireless, depending on the connection type. Its installation is carried out on the rear window, above the license plate or on the bumper;
- rearview mirror;
- memory card;
The body contains an electronic filling, as well as a built-in video camera. A small display is installed on the front panel. The rest of the front panel is a regular mirror.
If the device is equipped with a parking camera, then while the car is moving in reverse, the video from it is transmitted to the display. There is a built-in battery inside the device, which allows it to work for a certain time in an autonomous mode. Also, the recorder has a place for installing a memory card, which can be removed at any time and installed in another device.
Working principle and functions
The mirror-recorder is a modern gadget and its functions will depend on the electronic filling. Externally, the mirror-recorder practically does not differ from the standard mirror, but depending on the equipment it can have the following functions:
- video recorder. The device can record and save information about the traffic situation. Loop recording capability allows you to record a new video in place of the old one when there is a lack of memory;
- radar detector. The driver will be notified in advance about the presence of cameras and radars on the track;
- GPS navigator. Using this function, you can plan a route, and the necessary information is displayed on the screen;
Manufacturers have managed to combine several useful gadgets in one device that help to increase the comfort and safety of traffic.
Setting up a mirror-registrar
After the mirror-recorder is installed and connected, it is necessary to make settings for its normal operation. After turning on the ignition, the main camera starts working. For a while, an image appears on the screen, which then disappears. The fact that the recorder is working is indicated by a blinking indicator. When you turn on the reverse gear, the parking camera is triggered and an image is displayed on the screen.
You can manually configure the necessary parameters; for this, there are command keys at the bottom of the mirror:
Pressing the “Menu” key allows you to select the parameter of interest. Depending on what needs to be configured, a choice of functions is carried out:
- recording quality and format;
- switching between the main and parking camera;
- watching video;
- photographing mode;
- duration and cycle of recording;
- motion detection mode;
- the quality of the image displayed on the screen.
Information appears on the screen of the mirror-recorder indicating the mode in which the device is operating.
Next, we will consider where and what to stick when pinning the rear view camera connector to 4 pin.
As a rule, such devices come with a short cable, at the end of which there is a 4-pin connector (holes). An extension wire with 4 contacts is connected to these holes:
- “” Power supply, is activated after turning on the reverse movement;
- “-” power supply, weight;
- Video signal (plus);
- Video signal monitor, ground (minus).
So, an extension cord is plugged into the connector with 4 holes. Notice, just below the junction of the connector with the extension cable, the latter forks into:
How To: Install Rear Dash Cam
- two thin wires (usually red and black): “” and “-” to the reverse lamps;
- and a thick video cable (inside two-pin: “” and “-“) with a connector for connection to the display (6.35 mm jack, 3.5 mm minijack, 2.5 mm micro jack or USB) at the end. Accordingly, it is pulled to the radio if you connect to it. By the way, before purchasing a camera, make sure that the connector on the HU matches the connector on the cord.
Rear view camera pinout: how to get it right
In today’s article, we analyze the popular rear view camera pinouts. If you thoroughly understand the topic, you can independently lay the wiring and connect the gadget. By the way, there is nothing difficult here, there would be a desire!
A rear view camera is a device that transmits a visual picture of the situation behind the car to the display of the standard GU. Allows you to safely maneuver the machine while driving in reverse.
Pinout is the pinout, wiring, or pinout of a cable. If it is simpler, this is the diagram that the master is guided by when setting up the electrical connection of each wire of the device.
In other words, the wiring explains where each pin of a connector or microcircuit is connected, if there are several of them, such as, for example, in a rear view camera.
Wiring the rear-view camera wires is needed in order to correctly bring all the current-carrying conductors of the gadget to the necessary contacts in the car’s electrical network.
For 3 contacts
Usually, all manufacturers adhere to the following wire coloring algorithm:
- Black. mass or minus;
- Red. power supply or plus;
- Yellow. video signal.
According to physics, an electric current flows in a closed loop. The positive terminal of the electrical element is connected to the power component (in our case, with the reversing lights), and the negative terminal returns to ground (camera).
Thus, when pinning the rear view camera into 3 wires, the first two (power) are connected to the reversing lights, and the video output is connected to the monitor in the radio tape recorder (or to the mirror, depending on the device model).
Types of pinouts
The most popular type of pinout is three-wire. Most Chinese gadgets adhere to it, as well as simple cameras that are not burdened with an additional option.
Also, pinouts of a rear-view camera with a large number of contacts are in demand. for 4, 5 or even 6 wires. They allow you to activate the auxiliary capabilities of the device: infrared illumination, control from the rear movement switch, etc.
Dashcam with backup camera installation: How to fix reverse camera issue- Chicom V21 1080p
The most popular combination of connectors on the device is a cinch for video transmission and a socket for connecting the power cord. The latter often houses a voltage regulator.
Next in line is the pinout of the 5 pin rear view camera (5-wire connector). It is used in fancy gadgets with additional functions:
- infrared illumination;
- enable / disable and configure markup;
- mirror / normal video display;
- and other service options.
Also, some Chinese rear-view cameras have a 5-wire pinout not for additional chips, but for activating the connection between the device and a standard car radio or a third-party display. Carefully read the instructions for use of the device.
So, when pinouting the rear-view camera connector for 5 pins, the first 3 contacts, as standard, go: 2 wires for power from the ZX lights and 1 for the video output. 2 more are “-” and “” additional options.
Where to connect the latter is up to you. It is possible, like the device itself, to reversing lamps or parking lights. In the latter case, the picture with the image will be in color during the day, and black and white at night. But the IR illumination in the dark will plow constantly. And with the first option, the video will always be in b / w format, but the backlight will turn on only when the box is switched to reverse driving mode. Obviously. saving the resource of IR-LEDs. In short, evaluate the pros and cons at your own discretion.
As you can see, you should not be afraid of pinouting the wires of the backlit rear view camera. Everything is simple, subject to general logic. The situation is the same with 6-pin wiring.
It is the sum of all the above pinouts.
- Base as in 3 pin circuit;
- Piece. from the 4 pin circuit (in the video output, “plus” and “ground” are separated by separate terminals);
- The last 2 contacts. “” and “-” backlight (or other function).
So, with this pinout, the wiring is scattered as follows:
- Red for “plus” power supply;
- Black. for “minus” power supply;
- Yellow. pulled to the display for video transmission;
- Another black (twisted pair with yellow). also for the radio (“minus”);
- Auxiliary service option power supply (“plus”), the color of the wiring is usually white. Connect to the source at your discretion;
- “Minus” of the auxiliary chip.
So that is all! If you really understand, you can easily understand the pinout of the plug, even a Chinese rear view camera. Believe in yourself! Good luck!