How to use your phone as a webcam
All modern smartphones are equipped with cameras and microphones, so many probably at least once had a desire to use these functions in conjunction with a PC for video communication. In laptops, a camera with a microphone is standard tools, and for a desktop you need to buy them separately.
You cannot use the phone as a webcam for PC using standard Android tools. Even in the “developer” mode, I was able to find only a way to connect in the audio source mode, and even then, neither Mi Max 2 nor Mi Max 3 could be “started” on a PC in this mode. But as it turned out, this is not a problem at all: using the phone as a webcam (as well as a microphone) easily allows third-party software.
How to Turn Your Smartphone into a Webcam with DroidCam
DroidCam program. a simple and free tool to turn your smartphone into a webcam. It has an advanced version of DroidCamX which costs about 4, but the basic functionality is pretty decent in the free version too. Everything you need to connect your smartphone in WEB-camera mode. Minsk: PC and phone were on the same local network (were connected to the same router).
- Install the DroidCam program, downloaded it from the link in GooglePlay.
- Go to the dev47apps.com developer site and download the client for Windows or Linux.
- Install the client program on the computer, during the installation, allowing the installation of virtual audio and video devices into the system.
- Launch the DroidCam app on your smartphone. When you start it for the first time, it will give you a hint on what to do next.
- In the application menu, you will see the IP address of the phone, the port number for access, as well as links to view the picture in the browser.
- Launch the DroidCam client application on your computer. In the Appropriate fields, enter the IP address and port number shown on the phone screen. Check the boxes for video and audio to use both the camera and microphone on your smartphone.
- Click “Start” to start the connection.
If all sentiment is correct. on the monitor you will see a window with the image captured by the camera.
You can check that instant messengers (for example, Skype) also have access to this signal in their settings, which are responsible for the transmission of video and sound.
If the connection fails. Make sure that the “Device Manager” has a virtual camera and microphone, and the smartphone and computer are on the same local network.
How to use your phone as a webcam in IP Webcam
IP Webcam. another application for using a smartphone as a webcam. He has more opportunities in terms of organizing video surveillance, but as a camera for instant messengers, this program can come in handy. As with DroidCam, both devices must be connected to the same local network.
- Download IP Webcam from the link in Google Play.
- Set the desired settings in the application on your smartphone, then click the “Run” button at the very bottom.
- On the screen below you will see the IP addresses and the port number through which the connection is made.
- To check, enter an address like http://192.168.1.65:8080/video (IP numbers will be different) in the browser. If you see a picture. move on.
- Download the driver for Windows or Linux from the link. To add webcam emulation to your PC.
- Install it and run this application.
- In the line “Camera feed URL” enter the same address (like http://192.168.1.65:8080/video), click “Autodetect” to automatically detect the resolution.
- Click “Apply” and “Ok”, the webcam from the smartphone is ready to work. To select it in the messenger. specify the desired video source in the settings.
The disadvantage of IP Webcam is that it works in emulation mode, which is associated with certain difficulties. So, the program does not allow using a smartphone microphone as a gjkt sound source. But she can transfer a picture in FullHD, while DroidCam can only in HD, and even then, in the free version you need to watch ads.
The full version of the software only has THESE drawbacks, so if you plan to frequently use your phone as a webcam, it makes sense to purchase this software. over, from the point of view of the functionality of a webcam (and not an IP surveillance camera), the first option is more convenient and easy to use.