What makes an underwater camera different
It is often used by professionals and amateurs of diving: a waterproof camera allows you to show the beauty of the underwater world to everyone without distorting the picture. According to the field of application, the survey is divided into:
- Military and intelligence.
The parameters of the required camera also differ depending on the goals. For example, for military and industrial needs it should be of high image quality, and amateur ones. at a low price, if the owner is only going to try himself as an operator.
According to their parameters, action cameras are divided into:
- Aqua boxes: these are durable covers made of transparent plastic, which help to protect the equIPment from moisture. You can put any equIPment in them and take photos or shoot. They are cheaper and easier to use than action cameras, however, in order to obtain a good result, it is desirable to have a good technique initially;
- Protected compact models: they allow you to dive to a depth of 20 meters and take high-quality enough for amateur photos and. The disadvantages of such a camera include the lack of mounts for a helmet, that is, it must be held in hands;
- Action cameras are full-fledged models that can be attached to a suit or helmet. They are smaller than previous versions and the ability to free your hands.
The main difference between any option from simple cameras is waterproof.
The camera body must be reliably protected from shocks and drops.
Action Camera: how it differs and how to choose the best model for underwater photography
- What it is
- What makes an underwater camera different
- What to look for when choosing
- Which action camera to choose:
It would seem that until recently every photograph was worth its weight, if not gold, then at least silver. The photographers took care of each shot, trying not to waste the film just like that, but after a long time revealing it. Today it is difficult to surprise someone with cameras: they are found in all mobile phones and tablets. A similar fate befell cameras: just 20 years ago, most could only dream of a simple amateur camera, but today there is much more to choose from. One of the types of cameras are action cameras.
What it is
Their name comes from the English “Actioncamera”. these are special cameras designed for filming in extreme conditions. Usually they are used by extreme sportsmen: such cameras are NOT afraid of water, wind and dirt.
The first cameras of this type were invented by the American company GoPro in 2012. they were the first to develop cameras that can work in the most incredible conditions. Of course, the first attempts to attach the camera to the head or arms were recorded back in the middle of the last century, but then the result was NOT very successful.
Due to its small size and light weight, the camera can be mounted on the human body, thereby providing freedom of movement
The difference between action cameras includes:
- Small dimensions: this type of camera is rather small, takes up literally half of the palm.
- Light weight: action models weigh no more than 30-50 grams, while conventional cameras can weigh up to half a kilogram.
- Special mounts: most often cameras are mounted on helmets, belts, arms or neck, they can also be mounted on the handlebars of a bicycle or motorcycle. This allows you to shoot from the first person. Some cameras can also be attached to pet collars.
- Body: Action cameras have extremely durable bodies that protect them from dust, dirt, sand, impact on the ground, and on some models from water.
- Viewing angle: it reaches up to 170 degrees, which means that it covers much more than a simple camera. Some models are Spherical, that is, “look” both forward and backward.
- Shooting quality: these parameters in Action Camera are much higher. Models record about 60 frames per second versus 30 frames in a regular camera. this allows NOT to miss a moment in a frequently changing picture. The resolution of models is at least 1280 720 pixels versus 720 576 pixels in a regular camera. Also, the cameras are distinguished by high clarity and sharpness, a fixed-focus lens, which allows you to get high quality pictures.
Action cameras are used in a wide variety of fields that require a first-person view:
- While practicing extreme sports: alpine skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, parachuting, parkour and others.
- For underwater filming while diving or surfing.
- When conducting military tests.
- As registrars when driving a car or motorcycle.
- In 2011, action cameras were first used for filming a television series, although Subsequently, they were replaced by similar options, but giving better resolution.
In other words, such camera options are extremely demanded in many areas where high-quality picture and hands-free are required.
What to look for when choosing
When choosing an action camera for underwater photography, the first step is to make sure it is waterproof. The accidental purchase of another model will reduce all dreams in the underwater world to comments. Next, pay attention to:
- Dimensions and weight: the smaller they are, the more inconspicuous the camera will be during use. And if the weight is not very important (under water it is unlikely to play any role), then the dimensions of the model are quite important;
- Durability of the case: it should provide good protection against impacts and falls. Most often they use aluminum alloy, heavy-duty plastic or polyurethane-grilamide with steel inserts. The latter is the most durable, but rare;
- Mounts: you need to decide in advance what the camera will be attached to, and purchase all the accessories you need for this, for example, a helmet. Mounts Must be strong, holding the camera well;
- Battery capacity: the larger it is, the longer you can shoot. The maximum filming time can be up to 5 hours, but in most cases the buyer can count on 2-3 hours;
- Memory card capacity: the larger the indicator, the more it will fit on the card. Also, a large capacity will allow you to record better quality. It is not worth saving on this: you will NOT be able to win a lot of money, and the pleasure from the result can be spoiled by the lack of proper quality;
- Shooting quality and angle of view: these parameters must be selected based on individual preferences. Someone needs a small angle of view to show movement, someone, on the contrary, would like to capture as much as possible;
- Microphone: you will only need it if the camera will be used on land, as it is rather difficult to record sound underwater;
- Remote Control: It allows you to control the camera without taking it off. Convenient, but not always practical thing that you have to pay for;
- Additional devices: helmets, fasteners, trIPod and more. They are also selected individually;
- Cost: If the action camera is not purchased for multIPle trials, you should choose the more expensive and proven models. They will last for several years without any complaints. If you need a camera for one summer, you should choose a simpler option.
When choosing an action camera, it is necessary to determine in advance in what conditions it will be used and what you want to get from it. If the buyer is counting on regular shooting and high-quality production. He will need a professional model. If the camera is required for several submerged underwater while on vacation, it makes sense to take a closer look at waterproof camera housings.